DBZ at EVO...Possible?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Re: DBZ at EVO...Possible?

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:45 pm

Being a licensed game in of itself is no longer technically a (mental, precedent) barrier now that Injustice has been making the rounds. Combine that with that all but two of the featured games are Japanese, and more importantly two of them are very Japanese (King of Fighters and BlazBlue), and game nationality is hardly an issue- Japanese developers invented the genre.

Dragon Ball's issue is that it's an annual franchise- you cannot maintain a dedicated tournament audience with that level of turn over, particularly when you're liable to swap developers (and thus your entire game engine and mechanics!) after three games or so. Not even Capcom pumps out sequels nearly that fast anymore, aside from the sore-thumb outlier of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3- they have an audience that will actually buy new revisions of the game to placate, at least to the point that they lay down the money.
Below that, we have the usual divided Dragon Ball fanbase over which type of modern game, the 2D Dimps or Spike, is best, and the casual-versus-competitive hullabullo.

Also the alarming little fact that you cannot make a "Top 10 players of X Dragon Ball game" list without pulling players from multiple continents. This is no offense to these people, in fact quite the opposite, I have great admiration for the people who learn these games in spite of this, but no chance. Forget the fanbase, forget the competing playstyles, a Dragon Ball competitive scene is going to have to be entirely grassroots the way Smash Brothers was, and if your game-defining playerbase is spread that thin that is effectively impossible. I hate saying this, because I enjoy a lot of these games and it sounds as if I'm speaking ill of those that really learn how they tick, but the logistics are not there.
ZeroAnnihilated wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:
Neither Dragon Ball Z nor Naruto are worthy of appearing at EVO because the games just can't be taken seriously in this kind of environment, people in these tournaments take the games to the next level and DBZ/Naruto just don't go that far.

If only Bandai Namco didn't continue to force the bullshit Tenkaichi crap on developers (Dimps & Artdink) we'd see a quality Dragon Ball Z game.
budokaifanatic007 wrote:And also could you tell me what a DBZ game would need to be EVO worthy? Thanks.
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 & Super Dragon Ball Z.
So... basically what I'm hearing is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6Q0vJcbb4Y
Well that was one hell of an entrance, Zero. :lol:
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:44 am

BlazingFiddlesticks what you are saying is all fair, and everyone's contributions have been fair really. That being said, a game like Super Dragon Ball Z would be the type of game to enter EVO, but unfortunately it wasn't polished enough for consoles, they literally just crammed it into a PS2 disc and called it a day, no decent modifications for the engine were made.

Then again, the fact that Hyper Dragon Ball Z is entering EVO says a lot about the issue. It had to be a team of fans to make a Dragon Ball game decent enough to enter competitions. This may be the white gloved slap that Bandai needs, although there's the possibility of nothing changing since Japanese people are known for being too prideful and not really accepting input from "baka gaijins".

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:58 am

ZeroAnnihilated wrote:So... basically what I'm hearing is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6Q0vJcbb4Y
Truly disrespectful and you've been reported already.
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Dragon Ball's issue is that it's an annual franchise- you cannot maintain a dedicated tournament audience with that level of turn over, particularly when you're liable to swap developers (and thus your entire game engine and mechanics!) after three games or so.
Blazing, aren't you forgetting that this EVO 2014 they'll be playing Super Smash Bros. Melee despite that there's Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (yes it's the final title) so if we take Super Smash Bros. for example we can see that hardcore gamers have vouched for Melee over the others, the same could happen to Dragon Ball Z game(s) but the fanbase isn't like the rest.
DNA wrote:BlazingFiddlesticks what you are saying is all fair, and everyone's contributions have been fair really. That being said, a game like Super Dragon Ball Z would be the type of game to enter EVO, but unfortunately it wasn't polished enough for consoles, they literally just crammed it into a PS2 disc and called it a day, no decent modifications for the engine were made.

Then again, the fact that Hyper Dragon Ball Z is entering EVO says a lot about the issue. It had to be a team of fans to make a Dragon Ball game decent enough to enter competitions. This may be the white gloved slap that Bandai needs, although there's the possibility of nothing changing since Japanese people are known for being too prideful and not really accepting input from "baka gaijins".
Hyper Dragon Ball Z will be at EVO 2014? Epic! :D
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:24 am

ZeroAnnihilated wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:
Neither Dragon Ball Z nor Naruto are worthy of appearing at EVO because the games just can't be taken seriously in this kind of environment, people in these tournaments take the games to the next level and DBZ/Naruto just don't go that far.

If only Bandai Namco didn't continue to force the bullshit Tenkaichi crap on developers (Dimps & Artdink) we'd see a quality Dragon Ball Z game.
budokaifanatic007 wrote:And also could you tell me what a DBZ game would need to be EVO worthy? Thanks.
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 & Super Dragon Ball Z.
So... basically what I'm hearing is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6Q0vJcbb4Y
That was really disrespectful, specially when we know that there have been tournaments for Super DBZ in both Japan and other Asian countries and that the game was still being played in 2009 at a deep level. Too bad Tenkaichi 2 doesn't get the recognition it deserves right?

Also yes! at Hyper DBZ being shown at Evo (even if just for publicity), I really wish its Team the best and hope they manage to finish the game.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:06 am

It may be mostly a publicity stunt, buy it was requested by EVO, not the other way around, so again, that says a lot. The team had to quickly iron some kinks in order to make it balanced and fair.
You can check more about it in its topic over on fan created works.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:58 am

DNA wrote:BlazingFiddlesticks what you are saying is all fair, and everyone's contributions have been fair really. That being said, a game like Super Dragon Ball Z would be the type of game to enter EVO, but unfortunately it wasn't polished enough for consoles, they literally just crammed it into a PS2 disc and called it a day, no decent modifications for the engine were made.

So Hyper is going to be a sub-event at EVO? I clearly have not checked the thread in too long, nobody ever told me this! Requested, too? I guess swarming the front page of the gaming internet for a couple of days is great publicity indeed! Very happy for all you, great job. I hope there's a stream!
dbboxkaifan wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Dragon Ball's issue is that it's an annual franchise- you cannot maintain a dedicated tournament audience with that level of turn over, particularly when you're liable to swap developers (and thus your entire game engine and mechanics!) after three games or so.
Blazing, aren't you forgetting that this EVO 2014 they'll be playing Super Smash Bros. Melee despite that there's Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (yes it's the final title) so if we take Super Smash Bros. for example we can see that hardcore gamers have vouched for Melee over the others, the same could happen to Dragon Ball Z game(s) but the fanbase isn't like the rest.
First and foremost, Super Smash Brothers is a once-a-hardware-cycle game- as far opposite of an annual franchise as you can get. It's situation is such a unique combination of factors that its example cannot be applied to basically any other fighting game.

It required a strong grassroots community concentrated enough to form and congregate, keeping momentum despite zero official support from Nintendo, long swaths of time between sequels to let the metagame develop with no fear of being compelled to drop it for a new very game, which unlike other fighters would be entirely new in Super Smash Brothers, and sequels that sell ridiculously well. If you were Nintendo, would you agitate the 1% of Smash Brothers buyers the tournament community makes up for still playing Melee when Brawl sold 11 million copies and most of that 1% probably bought Brawl as well? The tournament scene was neither or threat nor a crown asset (both for philosophical and conduct reasons).

This creates a wonderful bubble where the Smash community got to decide the competitive scene's values entirely on their own because Nintendo does not need them to sell games, and EVO is not their only tournament outlet (not that it is for other fighters) so they were free to emphasize Melee (not that competitive Brawl was never a thing, it absolutely was). This will likely will not be challenged at this point simply because of how set in their ways much of that community is, it's too late. Also because the absence of Wii and DS selling hotcakes money leaves Nintendo no one but their serious fans to fall back on right now, and a group as vocal as the Smash community is one they want on their side. I can tell you a lot of people do understand that Nintendo is using them as publicity for Smash 4 right now, but no one cares because they are far happier that Nintendo is officially acknowledging them in a positive way.

Dragon Ball, as I last wrote, simply has too much going against it to do that, as if Namco did try to reserve a spot, they would do what ever other developer does and change the hosted game as they came out every year so they could still use EVO to monetize the annual game, and with console DBZ games coming out so fast that developers have to change, crashing and burning by endorsing a new game with a different playstyle than the last is inevitable. Super Dragon Ball Z actually could have been this outlier; a tournament-styled fighter that would exist alongside the Sparking/Tenkaichi games. But it had not only the lack of marketing by comparison to deal with, but seemed to have the same problem as Battle of Z: the developer knew it was too sophisticated a concept for most of the Dragon Ball playerbase to grasp, to the point where the publisher itself did not seem to have confidence in the product. I just don't think the sales or brand confidence are there to keep an older "mainline" game in the spotlight while simultaneously selling a newer one.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
Where is that located?
Canada

ZeroAnnihilated
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ZeroAnnihilated » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:47 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote: Truly disrespectful and you've been reported already.
Yeah, Check it out:
VegettoEX wrote:The following is a warning which has been issued to you by an administrator or moderator of this site.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 38#p804338

This is not an appropriate post. You must be willing to use your own words to converse with your fellow fans in a polite way.
Hurting feelings left and right, lol... OK, I'll try to keep control of the message output.

As far as Melee being played at Evo 2014, that always makes my day. The difference (as Fiddlestix has explained) resides in the fact that gaming communities have had more game-play involvement and dedication than others. With Smash Bros, the original came out in 1999 for N64. Two years later, Melee was released. After Melee was released, it took 7 years to release Brawl. That's a lot of time for a community to not only become mentally attached to how Smash should be played, but it gave the community a chance to really unlock the depth of the game and produce top players via tournament attendance. Not only that, but despite the many differences in technical and mechanical manipulation, the general concept of combat did not change, so competitors that played throughout the series could manage as skill and overall game-play ability would hold the tendency of crossing over. When regarding DBZ (with the exception of maybe one or two years), the creators have thrown us at least one new game every year since... 2000? Earlier? Yep, they've been following a similar pattern of gaming output since the 80's. Every time a community reaches a point where they believe a competitive scene can be established, the creators throw out a new game based on completely new mechanical and technical constructs, of which the community must adapt to in order to keep up with the times. This is why even though Melee came out long before Brawl, there are tourneys for both games. If the DBZ game output was at least similar, talks of DBZ gaming tournaments wouldn't be as laughable as a lot of traditional console fighters would believe. To be honest, it has nothing to do with the actual depth of any of the fighting games, because the community has no place to settle.

Now, I've heard the DBZ games after the Tenkaichi series have gone downhill in terms of game-play, re-introducing the paper/rock/scissors aspect... I have yet to play any of the new DBZ games so I hold no argument either way. However, if this is true, it doesn't brand the entirety of the DBZ gaming history.
Quebaz wrote: That was really disrespectful, specially when we know that there have been tournaments for Super DBZ in both Japan and other Asian countries and that the game was still being played in 2009 at a deep level. Too bad Tenkaichi 2 doesn't get the recognition it deserves right?

Also yes! at Hyper DBZ being shown at Evo (even if just for publicity), I really wish its Team the best and hope they manage to finish the game.
I recognize that the competitive potential of Tenkaichi 2 has fallen victim to what I've already explained. The crowd moved on and the chance that it will come back to T2 is too slim to worry about. Unfortunately, the same goes for the Budokai series and yes, even Super DBZ. I won't deny the depth of any Budokai game nor Super DBZ... but facing the facts includes realizing that as long as the gaming community is trying to keep up with DBZ gaming output, it will never establish a notable competitive scene.

As far as Hyper DBZ goes, it looks very fun and I completely agree with your statement.
Last edited by ZeroAnnihilated on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:58 pm

ZeroAnnihilated wrote:I won't deny the depth of any Budokai game nor Super DBZ... but facing the facts includes realizing that as long as the gaming community is trying to keep up with DBZ gaming output, it will never establish a notable competitive scene.
It's too bad you didn't play Burst Limit, man. It's the only combat engine that really feels complete, with cancels and devastating chaining possibilities out the wazoo. It's also, if I'm not mistaken, trumped Raging Blast in even big-wig reviews.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:05 am

Having finally got to put some time into a friend's Raging Blast 2 earlier this year, I really get why. The Raging Blast games have, if nothing else, wonky hit detection in which the animations both lack the punch of the blows your throwing out and don't reflect your combos as vividly as I'd like, where as Burst Limit is Shin Budokai HD- with the smooth as butter animation and more immediately combo friendly combat therein. You know Dragon Ball games have hit a high point when you read professional reviews mention that the game feels like its asking you to learn how it ticks.

Of course, these observations are old.
JulieYBM wrote:
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
Where is that located?
Canada

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:57 pm

From the Hyper DBZ Facebook page:
HDBZ tournament seems be be moved just a little bit. It'll commence 4pm Pacific Time on twitch.tv/guardbreak.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:17 pm

The tournament is now live.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:21 pm

I don't feel a Street Fighter reskin would truly represent the quality of a good DBZ game if presented with SF mechanics.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:59 am

• Ultra Street Fighter IV
  • Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
  • King of Fighters XIII
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Tekken Tag 2
  • Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3
  • Killer Instinct
I think these are all the games which made to the EVO 2014 so sadly no Hyper Dragon Ball Z. Oh well, there's still plenty of other awesome fighting games such as Street Fighter IV & Melee.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:00 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:I think these are all the games which made to the EVO 2014 so sadly no Hyper Dragon Ball Z. Oh well, there's still plenty of other awesome fighting games such as Street Fighter IV & Melee.
The game was requested to be in, it was also streamed online. Hyper Dragon Ball Z was shown in EVO 2014 as a special case, it wasn't part of the actual tournament.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:01 am

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
I don't feel a Street Fighter reskin would truly represent the quality of a good DBZ game if presented with SF mechanics.
But why not? If you take a look at some more dynamic fighters (like Marvel vs Capcom, Skull Girls and most stuff ArkSys has made), characters are jumping/dashing all over the place, there's projectiles all over the place, heck in some games there's even charging (some KOF iterations). So why would it nor work? It's all there, this is why most of us are really looking foward to see Hyper DBZ finished, it's the only thing (and a fanmade one at that) that realized that "Hey, DBZ is a fighting series, there's plenty of fighting games out there with characters that have similar moves to DBZ characters...how about we show them what's the real deal." The only thing you could argue is that "But most DBZ fights are the same, there's not individual styles.", well guess what, that's when you use your imagination and start cooking some movesets that would fit said character, and even then, thanks to most console DBZ games, you have a TON of references for animations/moves/attacks that you can easily convert into a 2d plane.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:53 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
goku the krump dancer wrote: Deception was one of the best selling Mortal Kombat games in the entire franchise if I'm not mistaken.
It was until MK9 aka Mortal Kombat (2011) came out several years later. MK is known to have simplistic fighting compare to Street Fighter and Tekken which is why most fighting gamers view MK as a joke and why it took so long for MK to be at EVO.
Calling the 3D MK games "a joke" is a bit harsh. The games definitely could've been played competitively at tournaments and such but certain characters had unfair advantages over others. For example, in Deadly Alliance certain characters like Shang Tsung and Cyrax (who used swords as a weapon style) could use their weapon to impale you and drain heath constantly with out touching you afterwards while someone like Raiden who uses a staff could not impale you.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:01 pm

As Quebaz said in an early post, the best chance for Dragon Ball to be (for realzies) at EVO is for Super Dragon Ball Z HD Remix to happen and for Bandai Namco to push it as a hardcore fighting game and, y'know, properly advertise the damn thing.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Marty Kirra
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marty Kirra » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:10 pm

I've never played Super Dragon Ball Z, but I do know that it's definitely possible. I mean, Dimps was the main developer behind SFIV, so if they really wanted to they could make a tournament worthy DBZ game. The problem is having that game appeal to the casual crowd and also fans of the series, while still maintaining that high-level play. It's hard sell but I think Injustice definitely did it right, as you can see.

I'd love to see DBZ get some representation like that.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:54 pm

Marty Kirra wrote:I've never played Super Dragon Ball Z, but I do know that it's definitely possible. I mean, Dimps was the main developer behind SFIV, so if they really wanted to they could make a tournament worthy DBZ game. The problem is having that game appeal to the casual crowd and also fans of the series, while still maintaining that high-level play. It's hard sell but I think Injustice definitely did it right, as you can see.

I'd love to see DBZ get some representation like that.
The game features a hand picked cast by Toriyama himself, including Ultimate Gohan using swords, a redesigned Mecha Freeza and adult Chi-Chi using the Kintoun, Nyoibo and Bansho-sen. It's already pretty attractive.

The main problems with it is that customization takes very long to do, everything is still has a very arcade feeling to it, it wasn't really properly ported in my opinion.
And HD overall and online capabilities would make the game very attractive since it could eliminate the time customization takes, winning online battles would help levelling up.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:03 pm

The reason we dont have a Hardcore DBZ game right now is because the casuals have become the voice of the fans :-[ .
Bring Back Budokai:https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... it-2#intro
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.