Most memorable DBZ gaming experience

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Most memorable DBZ gaming experience

Post by GS7X7 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:07 pm

(NOTE- Not to be confused with your favorite-overall DBZ game, this is just for what experience in a DBZ game blew your mind the most)

For DBZ Budokai 2 I played as Tenshinhan the whole way through as often as I possibly could.

Ultimately, he got to be the hero in my quest without having to be punished at all just because he wasn't a Saiyan. Maybe someday I'll play it again as Yamcha so he can finally enjoy his time in the spotlight. :P

I'll admit to not being the greatest Fighter-game player, but somehow I was able to play Tenshinan fairly badass through sheer force of will, move-spamming and button-mashing. :)

What about your guys? What's your most memorable experience and why?
Sean Schemmel is THE MAN! :)

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Re: Most memorable DBZ gaming experience

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:41 pm

Easily the Legacy of Goku 2. I didn't grow up with Super Nintendo or Sega or Playstation 1, but I did get a gameboy then the advance when I was about 9-10. I got a Gamecube the next year. After the NGC and a couple games I got The Legacy of Goku 2, I fell in love.

I put the most hours into to that game than any other. I was shocked it had the music from the Funimation dub, and I loved how I got to use more than just Goku. I got stuck a couple times and was frustrated. Then, when I finally got to fight Cell and see SSJ2 (Super Saiyan Rage), I lost it. It was amazing. No DBZ game gave me the same excitement, not to say later games didn't excite me. This game holds a special place in my heart, so many memories. I remember bringing it to Jamaica with me when I went to visit my grandmother and a neighbor kid wanted to play, and he loved it so much. So much happy with this game. I could go on and on about it. :mrgreen:
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

ZeroAnnihilated
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ZeroAnnihilated » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:16 pm

Beating Kid Buu in Budokai 3 on Difficulty Z (may have been difficulty Z3, it's been many years now). At that time, I didn't know about cancels or any of the other seemingly advanced techniques used in Budokai 3. I was merely going off of universal fighting game experience. Failed many times. When I finally beat him, raised my fist in the air as I declared victory. No one was around to see me react that way, but it was something that came from the heart.

I have since had similar experiences, new technical discoveries in T2, etc... but Budokai 3 was the first game that gave me that feeling of accomplishment.
Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:41 pm

I remember most vividly how friends and I figured out the METEOR combos in Final Bout. We had a Japanese version and thus no clue what we were doing really and just saw the CPU hand us our asses every time. Of course this only motivated us more to figure out what the hell we were actually doing.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:54 am

Beating Nappa with Gohan in Legendary Super Warriors. One of the hardest battles I've ever fought in any game.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:10 am

The entire playthrough of Shin Budokai Another Road, it was my first time in the US (I live in Ecuador). My Late mom would always travel to New York but I would stay home, it was her final trip because she had cancer, my dad and me came to the us with her, and she bought me Shin Budokai Another Road, I would play it while we were on the car for a visit to virginia beach, I would play it at the hotel when my mom and dad were watching tv, I would play it on the airport and the way home. The game might not be the best, but it gives me tender memories of the good times with my mom :)
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:59 am

Many all nighters on Budokai 2 and 3 with friends. I really need to do that again some time.

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:24 pm

InfernalVegito wrote:I remember most vividly how friends and I figured out the METEOR combos in Final Bout. We had a Japanese version and thus no clue what we were doing really and just saw the CPU hand us our asses every time. Of course this only motivated us more to figure out what the hell we were actually doing.

How do you do Meteor Combos anyway?

Is it true Pan's actually a good character (yeah right!) if you master those with her?

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

CordonBloo
Beyond Newbie

Post by CordonBloo » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:08 pm

I played Budokai 2 a lot when I was younger, I liked the story mode because it had some fun what-if scenarios and the turn based board-game system was fairly unique and new to me, and I always tried to get the most I could out of the level before it ended.

I also enjoyed the mock fusions and Boo absorptions you could do. I still have the game purely for the nostalgia factor, even though by my current tastes as a db game I don't really like it.

Aside from that, obviously DBO was a very memorable experience and i still feel sad about it being over. People had a lot of respect for me on that game, I don't know why I wasn't very nice to people! But I spent a lot of my free time hunting dragon balls, and kept doing it even after I'd unlocked everything useful. I got a full suit of armour from it and a special unique weapon as well, even though there was better gear available to me... Fun times :') There was still more areas I'd yet to explore as well. The game was so fun, *deep sigh*

Also Super Dragon Ball Z is pretty much the only reason I keep my PS2 nowadays, so... Lots of awesome ideas in that game.
CORDON BLOO TO THE RESCOO!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:26 pm

Beating DBZ Budokai 1 without (knowingly) how to use a super. The PPPG confused the hell outta me when I was young.

Also I beat Buu's Fury without the stat boosts you get at every level. I figured it out after I beat Kid Buu lol

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:36 am

I'm going have to say, most of time I played the fan made Earth Special Forces back when it was active with some friends. Specially when with its addon pack that added a ton of characters and all that, I don't know about you guys, but getting a 8-way Beam Struggle and blowing the entire map is just awesome.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

kazamino
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kazamino » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:36 am

I don't really have a lot of single player memories other than wiping the floor in world tournaments with Yamcha and wolf fang fist spamming across a majority of games where that was a viable tactic...

My multiplayer memories though, well I already mentioned how awesome it felt playing Battle of Z with friends when we tackled missions. Nothing comes close however to the amazing feeling of pulling off an ultimate attack because you or your friend knew about the ultimate jewels and you had a skilled enough team to fend off attackers while the one performing the spirit bomb/solar kamehameha/father-son kamehameha/etc... was charging up to finish the fight, it is even more glorious when it is being used on a giant foe like Meta-Cooler or an Oozaru. The only real downside I had was that I usually ended up with friends who would love being either Super Vegeto, "Sage" Goku, or SSJ Bardock so most of the time I ended up being either a "low cost support" or just someone who had a quick dash heal technique.

Some other good moments I had were pitting the "what-if" forms of Broly and Vegeta against each other... many stupid argument about paying for pizza was settled with SSJ3 Broly vs SSJ3 Vegeta in Raging Blast
In a world of approximately seven billion people, the irony is that wandering around... is the fastest way to get noticed

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:53 am

kazamino wrote: Some other good moments I had were pitting the "what-if" forms of Broly and Vegeta against each other... many stupid argument about paying for pizza was settled with SSJ3 Broly vs SSJ3 Vegeta in Raging Blast
So.... which of the two won the most matches? They about equal?

kazamino
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kazamino » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:21 am

it depends on who's playing who most of the time... but yeah, about equal I'd say in terms of raw power. Psychology is a huge factor in how a battle will turn out... strategically I can be superior with vegeta but broly has given me an edge in terms of sheer terror if it turns into a battle of brute force and no ki blasts
In a world of approximately seven billion people, the irony is that wandering around... is the fastest way to get noticed

Tatakae!!Ramenman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatakae!!Ramenman » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:25 pm

Dragon Ball Z Budkai 1 on the gamecube was my first DBZ Expreience, so easily that game. Everything in it blew my mind, it was addicting, trying to beat Frieza and Cell as the final boss was a nightmare for me at that age, the music was amazing(my personal favorite soundtrack for any Dragon Ball game), the cut scenes gave me a pretty decent understanding of the series to start off with, and ending with Gohan defeating Cell and surpassing Goku to become the strongest was the best way to end it.
Neo died for our smiths.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:51 am

I'm with Dark Prince. For whatever reason, both Legacy of Goku II and Buu's Fury's last boss sequences were stupid epic the first time through. Nothing on console ever matched, and I don't think most of them were ever trying. I've wanted to do some arranged covers from that trilogy for the longest time.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:59 pm

Back sometime in early '03 I was playing Budokai 1 and finally got to Cell and couldn't beat him, after a week in frustration I got one of my friends that lived up the street from me to come down and beat Cell for me. It was quite an experience since it was one of the first memories I have at getting pissed off during a video game.