Dragon Ball Video Game Sales Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LightBing
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Video Game Sales Discussion Thread

Post by LightBing » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:03 pm

https://www.bandainamcoent.co.jp/corpor ... =phgOHLAbM

Xenoverse 2 and FighterZ at 8 million!

The two best selling Dragon Ball games of all time. Hard to say which one will come on top. Xenoverse 2 is till releasing content, FighterZ seems to be done beyond balance.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:33 pm

That's about the same as Tekken 7.

Super Saiyan Zach

Post by Super Saiyan Zach » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:40 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:33 pm That's about the same as Tekken 7.
It actually puts them slightly above Tekken 7, which is impressive, considering how Tekken sales have usually been consistently higher than DB games.
LightBing wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:03 pm https://www.bandainamcoent.co.jp/corpor ... =phgOHLAbM

Xenoverse 2 and FighterZ at 8 million!

The two best selling Dragon Ball games of all time. Hard to say which one will come on top. Xenoverse 2 is till releasing content, FighterZ seems to be done beyond balance.
Really impressive! I wonder if they can reach 10 million each. I think the last update was around this time last year, so in about a year, FighterZ has added roughly 2 million sales and XV2 has added around 1 million sales.

I wonder when we will get a sales update for Kakarot. If I'm not mistaken, the last update was a respectable 2 million about 2 months after the game first released (March 2020). Since then, we've had (and still have) the pandemic. There's also the recently released Switch version. I imagine that lifetime sales of the game will exceed 4 million, putting it behind just XV2, FighterZ & XV1. I could even see there being a chance of it outselling XV1. XV1 was at 5 million 4 years ago. I'm sure it is hardly moving any units anyways, but I could see it being at 5.5 or even 6 million at this point.

Either way, this current generation has been exceptionally profitable for DB games sales-wise, even better than the PS2 era and obviously far better than the PS3 & 360 era (most of those games didn't even cross 1 million sales, I think).

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:46 am

Super Saiyan Zach wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:40 pm Really impressive! I wonder if they can reach 10 million each. I think the last update was around this time last year, so in about a year, FighterZ has added roughly 2 million sales and XV2 has added around 1 million sales.

I wonder when we will get a sales update for Kakarot. If I'm not mistaken, the last update was a respectable 2 million about 2 months after the game first released (March 2020). Since then, we've had (and still have) the pandemic. There's also the recently released Switch version. I imagine that lifetime sales of the game will exceed 4 million, putting it behind just XV2, FighterZ & XV1. I could even see there being a chance of it outselling XV1. XV1 was at 5 million 4 years ago. I'm sure it is hardly moving any units anyways, but I could see it being at 5.5 or even 6 million at this point.

Either way, this current generation has been exceptionally profitable for DB games sales-wise, even better than the PS2 era and obviously far better than the PS3 & 360 era (most of those games didn't even cross 1 million sales, I think).
At this point anything is possible. They're both on PC which is an evergreen platform in terms of sales, ports to the new generations and the possibility of sequels make it hard to predict.

In regards to Kakarot, it should sell significantly less. It's a game with less appeal outside of Dragon Ball fans, Xenoverse has the build your own character and FighterZ is a certified fighting game.

Super Saiyan Zach

Post by Super Saiyan Zach » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:04 pm

LightBing wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:46 am
Super Saiyan Zach wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:40 pm Really impressive! I wonder if they can reach 10 million each. I think the last update was around this time last year, so in about a year, FighterZ has added roughly 2 million sales and XV2 has added around 1 million sales.

At this point anything is possible. They're both on PC which is an evergreen platform in terms of sales, ports to the new generations and the possibility of sequels make it hard to predict.

In regards to Kakarot, it should sell significantly less. It's a game with less appeal outside of Dragon Ball fans, Xenoverse has the build your own character and FighterZ is a certified fighting game.
Kakarot should definitely have lifetime sales far below XV2 & FighterZ. I definitely don't see it hitting 8 million, but even 4-5 million is impressive for a DBZ game.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:12 pm

What do you think is the factor that these games are so succesful?
The combination of good game (FighterZ), with novelty formula (XV2) and nostalgia (Kakarot) combined with the promise of getting fresh new characters and stories (Super)?

If I remember it right, the most succesful games Budokai and Budokai 3 were hitting over 3 mil and barely 2 mil respectively.
And also, back then, if you wanted something outside of major European countries and US, you had to import, as nowadays, you can get almost anything in local stores physically or online.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:28 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:12 pm What do you think is the factor that these games are so succesful?
Particularly when compared to the PS2 generation:
  • At worst they're decent games; at best they're phenomenal games
  • Solid, consistent multi-platform releases
  • PC releases (and good ports)
  • Digital releases in addition to physical versions
  • Consistent banger sales (the base games are regularly $8-9)
  • Overall fighting game resurgence, rising tide lifts all boats, etc.
  • Concerted effort by rights holders to grow the viewer/reader/player/user base
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:10 pm

Dragon Ball Kakarot is at 4.5 million sales mentioned in a live stream by CyberConnect.

Current ranking is:
Xenoverse 2/FighterZ - 8 million
Xenoverse - 5 million
Kakarot - 4.5 million
Budokai - 3.5 million

It's a matter of time until a Dragon Ball breaks 10 million, it's a matter of Bandai putting the work.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:47 pm

LightBing wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:10 pm Dragon Ball Kakarot is at 4.5 million sales mentioned in a live stream by CyberConnect.

Current ranking is:
Xenoverse - 5 million
Kakarot - 4.5 million
Budokai - 3.5 million

It's a matter of time until a Dragon Ball breaks 10 million, it's a matter of Bandai putting the work.

Dbfz2 or a major netcode update + season 4 will do it.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:06 pm

LightBing wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:10 pm Dragon Ball Kakarot is at 4.5 million sales mentioned in a live stream by CyberConnect.

Current ranking is:
Xenoverse - 5 million
Kakarot - 4.5 million
Budokai - 3.5 million

Seems like Budokai has held up after all these years. Really don't know why BN hasn't capitalized off of it instead we get Breakers, I appreciate them doing something different I guess.
Bring Back Budokai:https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... it-2#intro
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:49 am

budokaifanatic007 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:06 pm

Current ranking is:
Xenoverse - 5 million
Kakarot - 4.5 million
Budokai - 3.5 million

Seems like Budokai has held up after all these years. Really don't know why BN hasn't capitalized off of it instead we get Breakers, I appreciate them doing something different I guess.
They could probably make a remake or even a remaster and get a bunch of money. Budokai 3 is my favorite DB game, I would love it for sure.
I appreciate them trying new ideas, even if I'm not that interested in them. That's how we evolve.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:36 am

LightBing wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:49 am

Current ranking is:
Xenoverse - 5 million
Kakarot - 4.5 million
Budokai - 3.5 million

They could probably make a remake or even a remaster and get a bunch of money. Budokai 3 is my favorite DB game, I would love it for sure.
I appreciate them trying new ideas, even if I'm not that interested in them. That's how we evolve.
Budokai was played during the Battle Hour event and is turning 20 this year so we might get another HD Collection. Hopefully this time they won't leave out Budokai 2 and include online functionality.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:54 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:36 am Budokai was played during the Battle Hour event and is turning 20 this year so we might get another HD Collection. Hopefully this time they won't leave out Budokai 2 and include online functionality.
That would be great!
Cool that it was recognized at the Battle Hour Event.

Remaster leading to a Budokai 4 would be the dream.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:18 pm

Since no sales numbers were released for the HD collection in 2012, this tweet from Rhymestyle is all I can find so I wouldn't take it as fact but according to him the collection sold well enough. https://twitter.com/Rhymestyle/status/7 ... fEK227ALHQ. Hopefully this warrants a new Budokai game, A lot of the YT's that cover Anime games seem to love the Burst Limit/Budokai games so we will see.
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:38 pm

Hopefully if Budokai 4 happens, Dimps would adapt it for eSports like toning down the jumping through hoops for unlockables and using Shin Budokai's customization system as a base (special moves and transformations should be integral to characters).

Budokai was already close to being tournament worthy.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:05 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:38 pm Hopefully if Budokai 4 happens, Dimps would adapt it for eSports like toning down the jumping through hoops for unlockables and using Shin Budokai's customization system as a base (special moves and transformations should be integral to characters).

Wouldn't that clash with FighterZ?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:30 pm

budokaifanatic007 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:05 pm
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:38 pm Hopefully if Budokai 4 happens, Dimps would adapt it for eSports like toning down the jumping through hoops for unlockables and using Shin Budokai's customization system as a base (special moves and transformations should be integral to characters).

FighterZ and Budokai are two different games. One is 2.5D, the other is 3D.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:10 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:30 pm
budokaifanatic007 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:05 pm

FighterZ and Budokai are two different games. One is 2.5D, the other is 3D.
Hopefully BN can see it this way but we all know they go off of sales data, I'm sure there's actual data of the HD collection floating around somewhere.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:18 pm

Current ranking is:
Xenoverse - 5 million
Kakarot - 4.5 million
Budokai - 3.5 million

I appreciate the sentiment of them trying something new but it has to be something good however having said that Breakers will in all honesty be a flop internationally. But, if it hits 100k copies sold in Japan it’s considered a success according to Cyber Connect 2 CEO Hiroshi Matsuyama.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:48 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:18 pm

Current ranking is:
Xenoverse - 5 million
Kakarot - 4.5 million
Budokai - 3.5 million

I appreciate the sentiment of them trying something new but it has to be something good however having said that Breakers will in all honesty be a flop internationally. But, if it hits 100k copies sold in Japan it’s considered a success according to Cyber Connect 2 CEO Hiroshi Matsuyama.
Yea that's what Rhymestyle's Tweet was about regarding the Budokai HD collection.