Dragon Ball Video Game Sales Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LightBing
I Live Here

Re: Video Game Sales Discussion Thread

Post by LightBing » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:43 am

Bullza wrote:FighterZ released this week. In the UK it did not open to #1 however, it did come in at #2 behind Monster Hunter though.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/201 ... er-hunter/

I expect this will sell pretty well but I don't think it'll sell as well as Xenoverse.
Why not? It's potential is much greater. While Xenoverse will attract mostly Dragon Ball fans, FighterZ has that audience and adds fighting game people. It also had huge coverage for a Dragon Ball game and very good reviews.

If it ever gets released on Switch then I say it's guaranteed to surpass Xenoverse.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:03 am

I think FighterZ will surpass the Xenoverse games individually. I read that the Xenoverse series is expected to hit 10 million at some point. FighterZ should hit some great numbers though, it already has the record for the most players online at one point for a fighting game on Steam. That’s a pretty great achievement, especially when the gap is more than 2x the previously most played.

Also, Xenoverse 2 only came in at #7 in the UK charts upon its release, so FighterZ has done a much better in the UK.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:35 am

LightBing wrote:Why not? It's potential is much greater. While Xenoverse will attract mostly Dragon Ball fans, FighterZ has that audience and adds fighting game people. It also had huge coverage for a Dragon Ball game and very good reviews.
Well Xenoverse is the best selling Dragon Ball game ever, so that's going to be hard to top anyway. I just think that with all the extra characters and the strong focus on the multiplayer part of the game and the ability to make your own character and customise it however you want and that they kept updating the game with more things over the time that that probably had a greater appeal to more people even if its not as good of a game.
AnimeNation101 wrote:Sooo, it was said that XV1 and 2 together sold over 8,000,000 units which I’ll assume means copies of the game? What’s the split like? What’s the ratio between both games?
Xenoverse shipped 4 million copies by the day that Xenoverse 2 released. Xenoverse 2 is at a bare minimum of 2 million. I would guess about 4.5-5 million for Xenoverse and 3-3.5 million for Xenoverse 2, something like that.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:38 am

FighterZ already sold two million copies. I'm even more confident it will become the best selling Dragon Ball game of all time.

https://gematsu.com/2018/01/dragon-ball ... wo-million

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:20 pm

That is impressive. In comparison Xenoverse took a month to ship 1.5 million copies and Xenoverse 2 shipped 1.4 million copies on launch.

Tanote

Post by Tanote » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:42 pm

Bullza wrote:Xenoverse shipped 4 million copies by the day that Xenoverse 2 released. Xenoverse 2 is at a bare minimum of 2 million. I would guess about 4.5-5 million for Xenoverse and 3-3.5 million for Xenoverse 2, something like that.
Here's the latest sale numbers:

https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/925696086445928448

XV had sold over 5 million and XV2 sold over 3.3 million by November.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:59 pm

Tanote wrote:Here's the latest sale numbers:

Fantastic find, I imagine that's​a reputable source right? Especially if it's based on that image but where does the image come from? A magazine?

5 million for a DBZ game that's incredible.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:32 pm

FighterZ can still sell a lot more copies, and if it gets released on Switch I think it will sell better than XV2 there. This has so much potential to become the best selling Dragon Ball game ever.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Tanote

Post by Tanote » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:17 pm

Bullza wrote:

Fantastic find, I imagine that's​a reputable source right? Especially if it's based on that image but where does the image come from? A magazine?

I'm not exactly sure, but the image is official as far as I'm aware searching around the internet. I think it's fair to say DBFZ will easily be the best selling DB game - will it sell over 6 million copies and become the 5th best selling fighting game ever is the real question.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:43 pm

Bullza wrote:

5 million is amazing in general.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:04 pm

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:27 pm

Despite the sales being lower in comparison to the first installment, what makes Xenoverse 2 sales even more amazing than anything else is when you remember that in Japan the game is exclusive to PlayStation 4 and for the rest of the world, it is only available for PlayStation 4, X-Box One and PC. So yeah, it sold way more than the half of its predecessor even with its consoles limitations. Certainly it would sell even more than the first game if it was available for PlayStation 3 and X-Box 360 in Japan and in the rest of the world.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:16 pm

So FighterZ sold 68,000 copies on PS4 Week 1.

Xenoverse sold 44,000 copies on PS3 and 34,000 copies on PS4 for 79,000 copies total Week 1.

Xenoverse 2 sold 66,000 copies on PS4 Week 1.

Not bad then I suppose, selling on par with the previous game though there were a lot fewer PS4's sold when Xenoverse 2 came out so does that have the better attachment rate.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:32 pm

In Japan, FighterZ has gone off the charts but Xenoverse 2 still remains on it even though it came out long beforehand.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:56 am

Bullza wrote:In Japan, FighterZ has gone off the charts but Xenoverse 2 still remains on it even though it came out long beforehand.
Probably because Xenoverse 2 had the recent content release. Besides sales, I recently got the game in one(still haven't installed it thou). Lastly the long support the game has had shows itself.

Now onto actual numbers of sales on steam. From steamspy:
FighterZ - 310.813 sales
Xenoverse 2 - 440.850 sales
Xenoverse - 706.278 sales

FighterZ was a success on steam and I expect this number to decently increase once the game starts getting some decent discounts. It will probably surpass Xenoverse 2 in this platform, not sure about the first Xenoverse.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri May 11, 2018 9:06 pm

https://www.bandainamco.co.jp/ir/librar ... ation.html

From some of the documents above talking about their fiscal year, FighterZ is at 2.5 million copies sold. No numbers for Xenoverse 2 but it's still going strong.

Bullza
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Video Game Sales Discussion Thread

Post by Bullza » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:55 am

Even though there was a thread made for it already I need to leave a link to it here as a reminder.

Xenoverse and Xenoverse 2 have sold 10 million combined.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/dragon-b ... platforms/

From the latest individual sales posted Xenoverse had sold 5 million and Xenoverse 2 had sold 3.3 million so probably now the two have roughly sold the same.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:19 am

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/10/ ... han_a_year

FighterZ has now sold 3.5 million copies after being on the market for about 10 months. In comparison Xenoverse 2 had sold 3.3 million copies after being on the market for about 12 months.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:31 pm

That just makes Xenoverse sales more impressive, considering it is exclusive to PlayStation 4 in Japan and the previous generation of consoles did not get it.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

RichardKing2
Beyond Newbie

Post by RichardKing2 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:01 pm

Bullza wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:19 am http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/10/ ... han_a_year

FighterZ has now sold 3.5 million copies after being on the market for about 10 months. In comparison Xenoverse 2 had sold 3.3 million copies after being on the market for about 12 months.
I know it's not a DB Game, but any news or current info on how well Jump Force has done? In Japan and/or the USA?