Budokai Tenkaichi 3 is really the best game ever made?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kakarot9001
Banned

Re: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 is really the best game ever made?

Post by Kakarot9001 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:13 pm

Why they didn't a HD Collection with the Tenkaichi trilogy? So sad

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:34 pm

Kakarot9001 wrote:Why they didn't a HD Collection with the Tenkaichi trilogy? So sad
Is this close enough?
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 11&t=29228

In all honesty, you can like Yamamoto but also have to know the fact that is also 50% of another artist's work! That's not fully a negative and that's up for you to decide whether it's a bad thing or an okay thing is up to you.
Personally, I have gotten all the replaced scores for Budokai HD Collection and Raging Blast 2.
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

Metis Connetis

Post by Metis Connetis » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:27 pm

If your PC can handle it, the BT3 in pcsx2 runs PERFECT, with 16:9 and true HD, and it looks amazing.

I play BT3 almost everyday and with de DS3 in PC it's exactly the same experience.

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Captain Space » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:39 pm

BT3 was my favourite for a long time--I acknowledge its flaws, though, mainly its story mode (and the fact that BT2 had better music, and there were some cool aspects to the B3 fighting system BT3 didn't have). On the other hand...it was about the best DBZ experience you could have. In my opinion it had the best fighting of any 3D DBZ game, and just personally I don't find 2D games feel very DBZ-ish to me.

Of course, now Xenoverse has taken the top spot, at least for me. It definitely doesn't have as good fighting mechanics as BT3 or B3 or whatever, but the fighting mechanics aren't bad, and everything else about it is just so innovative and wonderful.
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Sat May 02, 2015 11:46 pm

I really enjoyed the soundtrack of BT3. Most of its songs I feel went well with the story mode, which I also liked since it attempted to recreate battles accurately and sometimes presented alternate endings which I felt were a nice twist. It skipped a few fights, but I think this was because they didn't want it to drag on and I'm alright with that since it didn't feel like the story mode was just trying to accommodate a limited roster, which I felt Xenoverse has done.

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Sun May 03, 2015 12:10 am

My perspective from when I last played it which was quite a while ago. Tenkaichi 2 had a better story mode but Tenkaichi 3 had better gameplay.

At this stage though I think Burst Limit has the best story mode with its biggest problem being it wasn't all of it, as for gameplay I'm really liking Xenoverse, the online needs work but the combat when it's seamless I find really enjoyable.
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun May 03, 2015 4:27 pm

I really loved Burst Limit, and I wanted more of it but ended up disappointed.
The fact it didn't have Buu saga was a let down. But the game was promising.
I would love to see Burst Limit 2 one day. With same graphics, updated of course, same gameplay updated and obviously a much bigger roster and the Budokai 3 way of handling Ki (with Ki charge).

I haven't played Xenoverse, I was a big fan of BT games and I think I will buy XV.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Sinestro
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sinestro » Mon May 04, 2015 1:11 pm

Budokai 3 and BT3 are my favorite DBZ games. I don't think that will change anytime soon, but I haven't played Xenoverse yet.
Last edited by Sinestro on Tue May 05, 2015 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Mon May 04, 2015 2:09 pm

Yeah, it's probably a good idea to play Xenoverse. Whether or not it ends up being your favourite, it's different (and enjoyable in general) enough to justify owning it alongside other more conventional DBZ games.

Sinestro
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sinestro » Mon May 04, 2015 4:35 pm

Captain Space wrote:Yeah, it's probably a good idea to play Xenoverse. Whether or not it ends up being your favourite, it's different (and enjoyable in general) enough to justify owning it alongside other more conventional DBZ games.
That's a word I keep hearing. "Different". Which entices me.

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Mon May 04, 2015 5:01 pm

Sinestro wrote:
Oh, definitely. The closest comparison I can make is, uh...it sort of succeeds at a lot of things (character creation, RPG elements, original story) that Ultimate Tenkaichi failed at. But it's definitely unique in the franchise.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 04, 2015 5:03 pm

Sinestro wrote:
Captain Space wrote:Yeah, it's probably a good idea to play Xenoverse. Whether or not it ends up being your favourite, it's different (and enjoyable in general) enough to justify owning it alongside other more conventional DBZ games.
Xenoverse certainly does shake up the formula of Dragon Ball games. At least with its story mode and character creation. It's at least worth a rental if you haven't bought it yet.

mcdonough88
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mcdonough88 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:06 am

I'd go with Kai UB, then Sparking 3

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Fri May 08, 2015 7:45 pm

So, I (re)brought a PS2 last week and I need yall help. I'm in a dilemma if I should get BT2 and BT3 again. I was hesitant to get them, cuz I was afraid that I would be super rusty and the controls itself would turn me off cuz I'm SO used to Xenoverse to the point where I might forgot about how smooth the Tenkaichi controls were, but something's tellin' me to go get them, just to take a trip down memory lane. They're 4.99 each BTW! :D

So tell me guys, should I get them?
Last edited by EXBadguy on Fri May 08, 2015 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Fri May 08, 2015 7:50 pm

EXBadguy wrote:So, I (re)brought a PS2 last week and I need yall help. I'm in a dilemma if I should get BT2 and BT3 again. I was hesitant to get them, cuz I was afraid that controls would turn me off cuz I'm SO used to Xenoverse to the point where I might forgot about the controls, but something's tellin' me to go get them, just to take a trip down memory lane. They're 4.99 each BTW! :D

So tell me guys, should I get them?
Get them, invite some friends over and do story mode and versus in both games just for the laughs, It's enjoyable enough.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Fri May 08, 2015 8:48 pm

I find the controls in BT2 to be kinda stiff and clunky nowadays, but BT3 has the best fighting mechanics of any DBZ game, it holds up fine. (I mean, BT2 outdoes it in some aspects, but the actual fighting is pretty important.)

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Sat May 09, 2015 7:29 am

Quebaz wrote:
Get them, invite some friends over and do story mode and versus in both games just for the laughs, It's enjoyable enough.
Yeah, I thought about it. I decided to get them later today. Besides, I'm currently taking a break with Xenoverse until the next major DLC pack comes, and when I come back playing that game, I'll just switch up the controls, so that it'll feel similar to the BT series.

Can't wait to relive my childhood memories! Haven't played the series in 7 years! :D
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat May 09, 2015 2:25 pm

People who say "Tenkaichi 3 is the best game ever" are just with their nostalgia goggles on, because it isn't. It's just an OK fun game at best.

- Characters were just clones whom didn't feel any different to the other one
- Music sucked. Tenkaichi 2 had better music.
- Quantity over quality
- They tried to squeeze in everything forgetting if it really fit the game's gameplay. For Z and GT? Fine. Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump? Ehh.
- Unable to free roam around like you could in Tenkaichi 2.

You could say that Tenkaichi 3 is better than Raging Blast 1, Raging Blast 2 and Tenkaichi Tag Team and in this regard it'd be true but even Tenkaichi Tag Team is almost identical, so it's more or less a portable version of Tenkaichi 3 with less characters although with a new kickass mode.

The Tenkaichi series is past so as for those that want a 3D Dragon Ball fighting game series then that's Xenoverse and considering that it was successful Bandai Namco will probably have at least 2 more developed by Dimps.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darknat » Sat May 09, 2015 5:41 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:People who say "Tenkaichi 3 is the best game ever" are just with their nostalgia goggles on, because it isn't. It's just an OK fun game at best.

- Characters were just clones whom didn't feel any different to the other one
- Music sucked. Tenkaichi 2 had better music.
- Quantity over quality
- They tried to squeeze in everything forgetting if it really fit the game's gameplay. For Z and GT? Fine. Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump? Ehh.
- Unable to free roam around like you could in Tenkaichi 2.

You could say that Tenkaichi 3 is better than Raging Blast 1, Raging Blast 2 and Tenkaichi Tag Team and in this regard it'd be true but even Tenkaichi Tag Team is almost identical, so it's more or less a portable version of Tenkaichi 3 with less characters although with a new kickass mode.

The Tenkaichi series is past so as for those that want a 3D Dragon Ball fighting game series then that's Xenoverse and considering that it was successful Bandai Namco will probably have at least 2 more developed by Dimps.
I don't consider it "the best game ever", but among DBZ games, it's among the best for sure. I'm not looking it with my nostalgia goggles because I still play it, and I actually would love to have a HD version if only so that I wouldn't have to use my ps2 each time I want to play it.

-True, but there are different kinds of characters with different gameplay mechanics. Giants, androids that absorve energy, androids that charge automatically, non flying characters, wall characters, strong characters, characters that charge quick, quick characters. You have to see them in a different way than the usual fighter with the specific moveset.
-Don't know about the english version, but the japanese one has kikuchi, so for me the only way to get a better soundtrack is to add more of kikuchi themes.
-Depends. Quality was quite good for the gameplay as a whole. It had speed, solid defensive moves, great controls.
-For me, Dragon Ball characters are a plus and they were implemened very well into the game. I would want more games that include this characters.
-I agree with this one. There are a few things missing from Tenkaichi 2 that would have actually made gameplay even better.

Xenoverse has been succesful, but it has a lot of problems on the gameplay and design sides. Gameplay can be repetitive and very unresponsive at times. AI for characters on missions is laughable. Battles with more than 2 characters are chaotic at best. It has a lot of bugs, I even was killed during a cutscene on this game, and don't know how may ultimates have this problem but some of them have cutscenes that don't integrate well on the fight and makes those ultimates useless (the one I'm thinking is the mouth blast for instance).

It also have serious problems with it's difficulty during story mode, problems with the RNG (not the worst I have seen though), and unimportance of the main character roster in favor of the created character.

They probably address a lot of the issues on the next game. It certainly was better that the first tenkaichi which always surprises me that it even got a sequel (glad it did though).

Neshawn
Beyond Newbie

Post by Neshawn » Fri May 15, 2015 10:42 am

I think that among the 3D fighters BT3 could be the best based on character selection and the speed. I think that best fighter though... Maybe Infinite World since Dragon Rush was taken out of that, if it had the same format to the 1 player then I would forsure rank it over any other DBZGT game. Just the fighting mechanics, I have my issues with transformation labeling and little things like that but IW is at the top of my list. BT3 has so much nostalgia for people attached to it, it's hard to ask if it is the best game. Like I said, the character selection alone gives it a lot of extra points in most peoples book.
"I'm THE BEAN DADDY!"