Cutscenes vs Animation! Which is better and what's the point

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Cutscenes vs Animation! Which is better and what's the point

Post by EXBadguy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:07 pm

Since I saw a couple of people in the Xenoverse thread talking about animated footage and how they're disappointed that there isn't much, it got me thinking this. So I wanna ask these two questions, one is which one's better to have and two, do you see the point to add animated footages during the story mode when they have billions of in-game cutscenes?

For me, I prefer in-game cutscenes, sometimes the animation scenes in the games can look too unfinished like the BoZ and Xenoverse openings. Back in the day they were acceptable(Budokais 2&3 openings), but now people expect better. And I really don't see the point of adding animated scenes in when they have cutscenes that are executed well. Maybe for regular fighting games, I see having animated scenes being acceptable, but for games like Xenoverse and any other games like the Naruto Storm series, it makes no sense at all. Seems like a waste of money to me.
Last edited by EXBadguy on Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Cutscenes vs Animation! Which is better and what's the p

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:21 pm

I'm always on the side that games should use their own in-game graphics for cutscenes. It helps you immerse more in the experience.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:10 pm

I prefer animated cutscenes.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:40 pm

In-game cutscenes. Budokai 1 style. I do like a well done animated opening once in a while tho.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:01 pm

Dimps does pretty decent animation. Xenoverse and Burst Limit do pretty well. (although they tend to repeat scenes a lot i.e Kid Buu/Super Buu destroying Earth)

I'd rather cutscenes using game models and sets if done properly. None of that Spike bullshit though.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:07 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:Dimps does pretty decent animation. Xenoverse and Burst Limit do pretty well. (although they tend to repeat scenes a lot i.e Kid Buu/Super Buu destroying Earth)

I'd rather cutscenes using game models and sets if done properly. None of that Spike bullshit though.
Raging Blast's Goku's first transformation scream will always wierd me out.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Shnuki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shnuki » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:50 pm

Quebaz wrote:In-game cutscenes. Budokai 1 style. I do like a well done animated opening once in a while tho.
This. Animated cutscenes clash too much with everything else in Xenoverse, IMO. But they're still better than the ones in BT2, where the characters just stand in one place and do nothing (or just change a pose and move their mouth, while the mouthflaps don't even match with the dialogue).

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:46 pm

I concur with having the game use its own graphics to make cutscenes just like in Budokai 1.

I want to relive the series in game form, that's the appeal for me. It makes the game more game if that makes sense.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:26 am

This might be a bit rude, but;

Dimps: In-game Cutscenes
Spike: Animation

Simply because Spike sucks at Cutscene animation. It NEVER seems real. As VegettoEX himself says, Dimps GETS Dragon Ball movement,

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:36 am

If the budget is there, I'd rather have the animated cut-scenes. But if there's no budget for good 2D animation and it'd end up looking stiff, I'd say just stick with the in-game models instead.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Vegitofaxx
Regular

Post by Vegitofaxx » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:47 pm

I think that Xenoverse transitioned really nicely from cutscene to gameplay, they keep doing that, and i'll prefer cutscenes. :D
Here lies a modified Doctor Who qoute. It was killed too early by the moderators. R.I.P.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steam: The Muncher of Da Biscuits.
PSN: Joeythekiller123
Playing XenoVerse on Pc. BP = 10370. Primary CaC: Tapaha. Always ready for an invite :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jackass, #1 Hellsing fan, Translator for the Danish version of DBM(always two pages ahead of you), Chilling on da forums 8)