Wait a minute, which games are included in Xenoverse's "XV"?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

johnboy1
Regular

Wait a minute, which games are included in Xenoverse's "XV"?

Post by johnboy1 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:16 pm

So, I read that the "XV" abbreviation of Xenoverse was chosen due to it being the fifteenth console fighting game since the franchise's resurrection with the first Budokai. If that's bullshit, feel free to tell me so. If not, then which 14 other games are being specified here? The Budokai, Tenkaichi, and Raging Blast games make eight. Then there's Ultimate Tenkaichi, Burst Limit, and Battle of Z. And... I can't think of anything else that fits.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

VeggieXD
Beyond Newbie

Re: Wait a minute, which games are included in Xenoverse's "

Post by VeggieXD » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:22 pm

Dragonball Z for Kinect, Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo and Budokai HD Collection.
DragonFlick Z 2.0 in the works.. if you are a Dragonball Youtuber, feel free to get in touch.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:32 pm

I'm fairly sure they aren't counting game that weren't released in Japan, so that rules out the Budokai HD Collection, Sagas and DBZ Kinect.

01. Dragon Ball Z: Budokai
02. Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2
03. Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3
04. Super Dragon Ball Z
05. Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi
06. Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2
07. Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3
08. Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit
09. Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World
10. Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo
11. Dragon Ball: Raging Blast
12. Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2
13. Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi
14. Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z
15. Dragon Ball Xenoverse
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:44 pm

Not saying I haven't missed it, but considering how much I read about this stuff...

I haven't seen any official confirmation of that being the reasoning for the name choice. No matter how you fudge it, you have to fudge it to get to 15 games.

And why would they care about starting up with Budokai when there were dozens of games before that? Yeah, it was the first after a four year break or so... but... so what?

Random coincidence (again, if you fudge it) as far as I can tell.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:13 pm

I honestly think it was mentioned in one of Bandai Namco's interviews with the French fanbase or something (though I don't think it was Nostal/Treevax), akin to the one seen here where they seemingly confirm his designing of the Time Kaioshin. Maybe I'm mistaking it though. I don't tend to follow along with these things unless it's Toriyama based information or roster numbers...

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:17 pm

Yeah, I tried to do this with several variations and the only way you can hit 15 is with a lot of this.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Shinnin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinnin » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:00 am

I think it's the 15th Japanese-made game on Sony consoles, so:

1. Budokai 1
2. Budokai 2
3. Budokai 3
4. Shin Budokai
5. Shin Budokai 2
6. Tenkaichi
7. Tenkaichi 2
8. Tenkaichi 3
9. Burst Limit
10. Infinite World
11. Raging Blast
12. Raging Blast 2
13. Ultimate Tenkaichi
14. Battle of Z
15. Xenoverse

I didn't count Super DBZ since it started out on arcades. But then there's still Tenkaichi Tag Team...

EDIT: Apparently I can't read for shit today. TheDevilsCorpse's list matches perfectly.
Last edited by Shinnin on Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:04 am

Shinnin wrote:It's 15 starting from Budokai 1, since IIRC that was Dimps'(s?) first DBZ game.
Yeah, I understand that, but which 15? Even if you count the handhelds, Dimps has only made 11 DB games, so it's not just about their work. It has to include other games during that period, but the problem is that no arrangement would appear to meet sensible criteria and have exactly 15 titles.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:06 am

johnboy1 wrote:
Shinnin wrote:It's 15 starting from Budokai 1, since IIRC that was Dimps'(s?) first DBZ game.
Yeah, I understand that, but which 15? Even if you count the handhelds, Dimps has only made 11 DB games, so it's not just about their work. It has to include other games during that period, but the problem is that no arrangement would appear to meet sensible criteria and have exactly 15 titles.
Mine fits perfectly. 15 games released on consoles within Japan since Budokai 1.

Shinnin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinnin » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:06 am

johnboy1 wrote:
I misread it, my bad. I fixed my post.

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:10 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Mine fits perfectly. 15 games released on consoles within Japan since Budokai 1.
Except that one of them isn't a fighting game, which is supposedly the genre the "XV" refers to. Revenge of King Piccolo is a beat-em-up.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:29 am

If you want to get technical, Xenoverse isn't a fighting game either. It's basically an Action RPG.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:13 pm

I assumed (or maybe read somewhere I can't remember) that it was also related to being released in 2015.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:02 am

This thread makes me want fudge. This is unfortunate, for three reasons:
  1. It is late, and stores are closed (plus I've already brushed my teeth).
  2. The closest place with good fudge is in Tennoji, which requires 15 minutes on the subway or half an hour on a bike.
  3. Fudge is more expensive here than back home.
Anyway, my personal thought about the reasoning for "XV" was that it was their home-console project for 2015, or MMXV. I never even considered any other reason.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

EA575
Regular

Post by EA575 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:44 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote: Anyway, my personal thought about the reasoning for "XV" was that it was their home-console project for 2015, or MMXV. I never even considered any other reason.
I also considered that since it was releasing in 2015. This has me thinking: will XV 2 (or maybe XV II) release in 2017?
Funny coincidence: DBZ Movie 15 is also releasing in 2015 :P