Why was the 3DO game cancelled?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Why was the 3DO game cancelled?

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:32 pm

I was reading on Dragon Ball Z: V.R.V.S. game today and apparently it was meant to be ported to the 3DO, but was cancelled. I know the 3DO wasn't breaking any records in terms of sales, but it did have a Sailor Moon and Yu Yu Hakusho fighter, so I imagine it must have had some niche among anime fighting games.

Also, the game apparently run on Sega hardware in Arcades, so I'm surprised it wasn't ported to the Saturn either.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: Why was the 3DO game cancelled?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:05 pm

You just answered your own question...

The 3DO was a failure. Why would they wanna associate the biggest name in anime/manga of that time with a failed console?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:55 pm

DBZ games appearing on a failed system has happened quite a few times you know.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Lord Exor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Lord Exor » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:27 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:You just answered your own question...

The 3DO was a failure. Why would they wanna associate the biggest name in anime/manga of that time with a failed console?
I don't believe sullying the brand was their rationale here; rather, it's likely they either never considered it, didn't want to commit the resources, or failed to adapt the game to the hardware.
"My dear friend, how can I make this even more painful for you? I could crush your hands, rip off both of your ears, or maybe I'll just smash in your tiny little cranium. Ehehehehehehehe."
—Frieza

"Alright big guy, whatever turns you on."
—Frieza

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:19 am

Someone at Bandai had foresight.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.