'Super DragonBall Z' is Coming To America!

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JAKEMAN
Beyond Newbie

Post by JAKEMAN » Sun May 21, 2006 11:23 am

This game looks so cool I cant wait for the London MCM expo when they are previewing it. I am going to push through just to get a go on it.

Berserk

Post by Berserk » Sun May 21, 2006 12:15 pm

Any idea in the U.S. version, if its going to have the option to play the game in its original JP language with english subtitles? like they did with Budokai 3?

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Sun May 21, 2006 5:20 pm

From my understanding the DBZ Budokai 3 Greatest Hits Edition had "dubtitles" during character text interactions & during gameplay they had no subtitle translation at all. But to answer your question, it's more likely that they are to include the Japanese voice option w/ "dubtitles", just like they did with the original "Sparking!" & "DBZ Budokai 3 GH".

Berserk

Post by Berserk » Sun May 21, 2006 9:29 pm

Screw it then, I'll just get JP version, by the way what proof or evidence is there, that there dubtitles

Swift
Beyond Newbie

Post by Swift » Mon May 22, 2006 12:07 am

Screw it then, I'll just get JP version, by the way what proof or evidence is there, that there dubtitles
Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the Japanese version have no English subs at all? How's that better than having dubtitles? Besides, it's not Funimation who does the translations (or rewriting as it is with them) for the dialogue ande subs in the games, so I'd assume they're fairly accurate actually, at least compared to the dub dialogue in the show.

As for evidence, assuming your talking about B3:GH and Tenkaichi/Sparking!, the evidence is that they say the exact same things as the sub/dubtitles in the English dialogue. Assuming your talking about Super DBZ, it's just an educated guess because they did the same thing in the last two games.

EDIT: Figured I should comment on the game itself too.

I think this game looks really promising! I love how it's going to be a more traditional and competitive fighter as opposed to a Budokai or Sparking! style. Not that I don't like those styles of gameplay, as I'm also really looking forward to Sparking! Neo, but it's just nice for a change to have it as a classic fighter.

The fewer characters doesn't bother me at all, either. People seem to just want more and more characters, until you can play as every single character in the DBZ universe, but I personally think it's much better to have fewer characters with their own unique fighting style than hundreds who are all virtually the same. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this game. Can't wait to play as the new Mecha Freeza! :D

Berserk

Post by Berserk » Mon May 22, 2006 1:01 am

Well if it has dubtitles then will the sound effects still be in JP if it has the option of being in its orginal JP language??

Swift
Beyond Newbie

Post by Swift » Mon May 22, 2006 2:10 am

Sound effects? If you mean attack-sounds the characters make during fights, then most likely yes, considering Sparking! (and I assume B3:GH) did. If you mean punch and kick sound effects and the like, I don't think there's a difference. If you mean the little word bubbles that pop up showing the Japanese sound effects during gameplay... I don't know. I think they'll probably leave them translated, which is a shame, really, but you never know. *shrug*

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Mon May 22, 2006 8:16 am

Swift wrote:If you mean the little word bubbles that pop up showing the Japanese sound effects during gameplay... I don't know. I think they'll probably leave them translated, which is a shame, really, but you never know. *shrug*
Well, Sebastian stated earlier "The sound effects don't appear in Japanese in the video game, they do appear in English." I don't know where he found that though. I haven't been looking at many screens or any videos of this game, so I can't say. Care to comment, Sebastian? :P

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Mon May 22, 2006 10:34 am

Leotaku wrote:
Swift wrote:If you mean the little word bubbles that pop up showing the Japanese sound effects during gameplay... I don't know. I think they'll probably leave them translated, which is a shame, really, but you never know. *shrug*
Well, Sebastian stated earlier "The sound effects don't appear in Japanese in the video game, they do appear in English." I don't know where he found that though. I haven't been looking at many screens or any videos of this game, so I can't say. Care to comment, Sebastian? :P
Sure, they show it in the "Super DragonBall Z" GameSpot E3 Demonstration

Here's the link http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/superdbz/media.html

If you closely at the demonstration the in-game "text" effects (I'll say "text" effects for now because of the "text" that appears when you hit a character with an attack as opposed to saying sound effects or the occasional grunts or "kiai" yells the character may make when powering-up or avoiding ki blasts during gameplay as to not confuse anyone) do appear in English, you'll the see occasional "Krak" text effect when a character unleashes & finishes the other character with their signitures moves (Kamehameha, Kien-zan, Mankkosappo, etc), "Boosh", & "Whup" text effects appear as well.

Berserk

Post by Berserk » Mon May 22, 2006 3:02 pm

So basically if I want even the sound effects text in JP, i need to get the JP version??

and another thing, because mecha-Frieza was redesigned with a canon on his back, does that make his new look offical?? cause Toriyama made the new mecha frieza I believe...

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Mon May 22, 2006 8:13 pm

Berserk wrote:So basically if I want even the sound effects text in JP, i need to get the JP version??

and another thing, because mecha-Freeza was redesigned with a canon on his back, does that make his new look offical?? cause Toriyama made the new mecha Freeza I believe...
Yeah...for the video game. That Mecha-Freeza was specifically designed for "Super DBZ". I doubt it will be put up for future DBZ games unless Craft & Meister decides to develop a sequel.

kindertuin
Beyond Newbie

Post by kindertuin » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:51 am

Atari gave us some new pics, that can be seen on jeux-france. Here is the link: http://www.jeux-france.com/news16164_su ... mages.html

Enjoy!

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:08 pm

kindertuin wrote:Atari gave us some new pics, that can be seen on jeux-france. Here is the link: http://www.jeux-france.com/news16164_su ... mages.html

Enjoy!
Those picz are da crunk, fo' shizzle! :lol:

The new Toriyama-designed Mecha Freeza makes me go skwee. :D

The cannon is way too big, though... :o
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

veshira
Regular

Post by veshira » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:05 pm

Berserk wrote:So basically if I want even the sound effects text in JP, i need to get the JP version??
Actually, I believe what Sebastian was saying was that in no version will the Japanese sound effects be availible, because the sound effects were in Roman Text in the Japanese version, too.
What's scarier than a DBZ H-game?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuBVyPsL5g]Fear the dancing![/url]

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:28 pm

Wow, that is a dangerous looking cannon Freeza's got.
I like it. :3

I have a question about this image here: http://sanger93.free.fr/Image/img022.jpg

As its related to this game I figure there's no point in making a new thread.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me, does that image in the upper-left hand corner mean you can pick whatever colors you want your character to wear?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

veshira
Regular

Post by veshira » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:44 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if you're able to change the characters' colors, since that's a feature in at least one Street Fighters game. That makes me happy, :) though at the same time, why would I want to change their colors? I like their colors: they're the classic colors! :(
What's scarier than a DBZ H-game?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuBVyPsL5g]Fear the dancing![/url]

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:51 pm

veshira wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if you're able to change the characters' colors, since that's a feature in at least one Street Fighters game. That makes me happy, :) though at the same time, why would I want to change their colors? I like their colors: they're the classic colors! :(
Yeah, pink just doesn't fit Vegeta! Unless he's wearing his "Bad Man" shirt, that is! :lol: :P

Same with Juunanagou.

Although, I think the white kinda suits Goku, since I think of him as, "The Light of the Earth", "The Pure Light", the Protector, the Saviour, etc.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:05 pm

I was never really a fan of text "sound effects" in games. I hope there's an option to turn them off.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:16 pm

I am highly anticipating this game as well. Can't wait to try the new gameplay developed by the SFII team.

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:02 pm

You know what I'm anticipating?

You got it. :twisted: Just smashin' Buu's PINK BUTT into King Kai's car. Imagine the dent... Man, he really needs to get a new ride. Don't know where he'll drive it to though... Maybe joy-riding down Snake Way? It'll be a tricky reverse, though; he'll probably burst a few tires. :|
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~