"Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2" Official Discussion Thread

Post by MCDaveG » Wed May 18, 2016 9:29 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Can we all just take a moment to talk about how amazing those CG animated cutscenes looked at the end of the trailer:
I can't wait to see more of these in the future.

I want a movie with animation like this.
That's honestly how the game should look like.
Second that, after playing AAA titles on PS4. Unfotunately, Dragon Ball is not an A title, it will never look like Batman Arkham Knight, rather, it will look like Final Fantasy X Remastered.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Post by Lunaar » Wed May 18, 2016 10:00 am

Slaythe wrote: Not only that, but even within the roster there is no balance. It's physically impossible to win a fight with Yamcha if you're fighting Beerus.

What's the point of the roster then ?
*raises hand* Hey, honestly - this is how I prefer it. I know I'm in the minority here. I know game balance is super ultra hyper important in the fighting genre, but it was clear to me that they did not put any real effort to balance Xenoverse's roster out. The dream of playing out a "God of Destruction on the Ropes?! Yamcha Overcomes All Odds!!" episode is awesome, but do you really think he could manage that? Take this discussion to the General section of these boards and see how well that plays out. :wave:

My point is that you're not wrong for being upset that the cast is all over the damned place, just that your perspective may not be aligned properly. A fight that has Yamcha winning against Beerus should feel like the desert bandit's overcoming absolutely insane odds. As Tek said, it's actually not all that impossible in Xenoverse. Cannon fodder like Raspberry and Appule against the likes of [insert Son family member here] or Omega Shenron? That fight should be DONEZO in a minute or less.

I dunno. Call me crazy, but I feel that the broken "balance" of Xenoverse is authenticity. Stat accuracy for each character, however, is an entirely different matter... I'm looking at you, Tenshinhan.

I'm excited to see where Xenoverse 2 takes this. On one hand, they may decide to keep everything one-sided. On the other hand, maybe they'll actually level out everyone and make an attempt at making a competent fighter... but why? Let's be honest - we ain't seeing any of these yearly animu battle royale games at EVO 2016. I'm on the "let's have fun and make you feel like you're in the show" camp. If they're going down that path, they really should be focusing on variety in gameplay and customization. More clothes. More attacks. More colors. More transformations. More stages. More communication. More more more! :clap:
Gogegito wrote:Gotenks said "I cant let him fight just like that, please trunks help me, he's my brother" And trunks also had undesrstanding eyes.
Ajay wrote:It's probably savagely lit. I dunno.
Steam ID: Lunaar
★頭カラッポの方が 夢詰め込める★

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Wed May 18, 2016 10:18 am

Lunaar wrote:
Slaythe wrote: Not only that, but even within the roster there is no balance. It's physically impossible to win a fight with Yamcha if you're fighting Beerus.

*raises hand* Hey, honestly - this is how I prefer it. I know I'm in the minority here. I know game balance is super ultra hyper important in the fighting genre, but it was clear to me that they did not put any real effort to balance Xenoverse's roster out. The dream of playing out a "God of Destruction on the Ropes?! Yamcha Overcomes All Odds!!" episode is awesome, but do you really think he could manage that? Take this discussion to the General section of these boards and see how well that plays out. :wave:

My point is that you're not wrong for being upset that the cast is all over the damned place, just that your perspective may not be aligned properly. A fight that has Yamcha winning against Beerus should feel like the desert bandit's overcoming absolutely insane odds. As Tek said, it's actually not all that impossible in Xenoverse. Cannon fodder like Raspberry and Appule against the likes of [insert Son family member here] or Omega Shenron? That fight should be DONEZO in a minute or less.

I dunno. Call me crazy, but I feel that the broken "balance" of Xenoverse is authenticity. Stat accuracy for each character, however, is an entirely different matter... I'm looking at you, Tenshinhan.

I'm excited to see where Xenoverse 2 takes this. On one hand, they may decide to keep everything one-sided. On the other hand, maybe they'll actually level out everyone and make an attempt at making a competent fighter... but why? Let's be honest - we ain't seeing any of these yearly animu battle royale games at EVO 2016. I'm on the "let's have fun and make you feel like you're in the show" camp. If they're going down that path, they really should be focusing on variety in gameplay and customization. More clothes. More attacks. More colors. More transformations. More stages. More communication. More more more! :clap:
I agree with your points. Plus, I like to make it a challenge to beat PQs with characters like Raspberry or Saibamen.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Post by Lunaar » Wed May 18, 2016 11:08 am

ShadowBardock89 wrote:I like to make it a challenge to beat PQs with characters like Raspberry or Saibamen.
:shock: That's AWESOME. I'd like more specific little achievables like that. Xenoverse's were run of the mill, but not too bad. Maybe pulling off specific moves or recreating situations during battle? For example, Son Goku activating Kaioken and launching a Kamehameha at Vegeta while he's using his Garlic Gu-

OH HEY, BEAM CLASHES! Where you at? I know I'm not the only one that thinks the Ultimates need a little reworking. Making beam struggles a new mechanic would be very welcome. Especially against a certain Kamehameha prone family... :problem:
Gogegito wrote:Gotenks said "I cant let him fight just like that, please trunks help me, he's my brother" And trunks also had undesrstanding eyes.
★頭カラッポの方が 夢詰め込める★

Vynak
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vynak » Wed May 18, 2016 11:31 am

Lunaar wrote:

*raises hand* Hey, honestly - this is how I prefer it. I know I'm in the minority here. I know game balance is super ultra hyper important in the fighting genre, but it was clear to me that they did not put any real effort to balance Xenoverse's roster out.

I dunno. Call me crazy, but I feel that the broken "balance" of Xenoverse is authenticity.
Having an unbalanced "authentic" character roster is fun in the beginning to mess around with but it doesn't have any real lasting appeal unless you can customize to close the gap somewhat. I would be ok with keeping it unbalanced with a customization system in place (like BT3) so you can try out different strategies and see what you can pull off. Otherwise, I would prefer a balanced system.

Also - I really hope they allow local coop and give us more than one stage to pick from in local 1v1 this time around. Oh and the ability for both players to pick a custom character in local 1v1. It seems like local coop/versus is dying and it makes me sad :(

Does no one play with people in the same house anymore?

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed May 18, 2016 11:33 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:Call of Duty lost a lot of hype over the years for being the same. It's nowhere near the powerhouse it used to be
That may be so, but the franchise still remains the best seller every year by a wide margin since 2009, with the exception of 2013 when Grand Theft Auto V was released. Every video game that has ever gone up against Call Of Duty in November has lost. Not even Fallout 4 could dethrone it. Xenoverse 2 being released in November would be a suicidal move. Remember what happened to Raging Blast 1 and 2?
Infinite Warfare has 2.3 million dislikes.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed May 18, 2016 11:59 am

Vynak wrote:
Does no one play with people in the same house anymore?
Xenoverse 1 isn't really the type of game to play split screen though. It's more online based.
Even so, I still play a lot of games with my friends on the same screen. Its not dying per se just much less common with online

THEGOKU
Regular

Post by THEGOKU » Wed May 18, 2016 12:41 pm

I think having the characters unbalanced is fine especially when it comes to PQs but when it comes to VS more they should just implement a difficulty setting and based on that is how the AI should perform. Now in terms of online because I get it where you wanna use just base Goku or kid Gohan for a fight as opposed to the created character they could have a system with upgrades to characters or a level up system that way it could level the playing field when it comes to Created characters vs everyone else. Just a thought idk how it would actually get done or work.

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Post by Lunaar » Wed May 18, 2016 12:55 pm

Vynak wrote:Having an unbalanced "authentic" character roster is fun in the beginning to mess around with but it doesn't have any real lasting appeal unless you can customize to close the gap somewhat. I would be ok with keeping it unbalanced with a customization system in place (like BT3) so you can try out different strategies and see what you can pull off. Otherwise, I would prefer a balanced system.
Very fair points. I had almost forgotten about the system in the Budokai/Budokai Tenkaichi games, though I sincerely doubt they would retread the "capsule" mechanics with no intentions of revitalizing those brands... uuuuuunless I'm totally wrong and they used those mechanics in other DB games. :oops:

On the topic of capsules, here's a "specific thing that I really would like them to do but probably won't,":

In addition to players having issue with most equipment not having alternate/custom color options, many players complained that equipment came with unwanted and most times undesirable stat changes. "Why does my Ki oriented Saiyan lady HAVE to wear all of Vegito's outfit to be most efficient? Xenoverse? More like, COSPLAYVERSE." My solution? Socketed equipment. Let the RNG be ahelluva lot more forgiving and delegate the rarity and "ranks" of equipment to how useful your clothing can become.

Examples! Let's say a quest description informs you that Spopovitch's Leotard is available as an item drop if you "Ultimate Finish." Instead of the actual drop being left up to chance, let's say you earn it no matter how many times you Ult Finish. You met the requirement, right? You damn well better get that smexy leotard. :lol: So oh boy, the item that drops is ranked "3". You get a Leotard (Spopovitch) with color customization and two slots. Slots can be used to inject capsules with stat boosts, or other odd effects. Mix capsules, recipes and Z-Souls are already a huge part (completion wise :crazy: ) of Xenoverse, so the system is already there, it just needs to be a little reworked. Z-Souls would be perfect.

Rank 1 can be regular ol' black Leotard (Spopovitch), no color choice, no slots. Vanilla af. At Rank 2, you earn color customization and one slot. Rank 7, however, would give custom color options, SIX slots and maybe a toggle for some frilly little add-on or texture that shows your Rank 7 Leotard is legit. They'd have to be CRAZY rare, too.

Keep the mind-numbing RNG, but at least let players earn something while grinding. Obviously you could sell unwanted equipment for other stuff you work towards. It's really just a matter of keeping players engaged and feeling like they're making progress. Xenoverse... did not handle that properly. Didn't stop me from playing it for eons, though.

*cough* Uh, anyway. Yeah, that'll never happen. Sure would be nice, though.
★頭カラッポの方が 夢詰め込める★

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Wed May 18, 2016 1:07 pm

I hate unbalanced characters, because it's a philosophy that punishes you for using certain characters and rewards you for using certain others.

Plus, it encourages the majority of players to main powerhouses like Beerus, SSJG Goku and SSJ4 Broly. It automatically gives excuses to people who lost as Dodoria from people who won as Golden Frieza.

And frankly, I don't want characters to essentially be difficulty settings in disguise.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed May 18, 2016 1:12 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:I hate unbalanced characters, because it's a philosophy that punishes you for using certain characters and rewards you for using certain others.
I don't mind it when it's for a few characters. Like Mr. Satan, Saibaman, RASBERRY! I do want balance of course for everyone else, but having a few characters who are meant to be disadvantageous can be fun. Especially for skilled players to beat others with weaker characters. Joke characters are for those who want a harder time, but can make it work.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Wed May 18, 2016 1:16 pm

I am willing to 'forgive' certain characters who were used in the series mainly as fodder or a joke. Like the ones you mentioned. But Yamcha being at a inherent disadvantage when fighting someone stronger than Tien sucks, imo.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Wed May 18, 2016 1:19 pm

Vynak wrote:
Lunaar wrote:

*raises hand* Hey, honestly - this is how I prefer it. I know I'm in the minority here. I know game balance is super ultra hyper important in the fighting genre, but it was clear to me that they did not put any real effort to balance Xenoverse's roster out.

I dunno. Call me crazy, but I feel that the broken "balance" of Xenoverse is authenticity.
Having an unbalanced "authentic" character roster is fun in the beginning to mess around with but it doesn't have any real lasting appeal unless you can customize to close the gap somewhat. I would be ok with keeping it unbalanced with a customization system in place (like BT3) so you can try out different strategies and see what you can pull off. Otherwise, I would prefer a balanced system.
This is where I stand as well, as many MMO elements Xenoverse has, it's still pretty much a (albeit a totally unconventional one) fighting game with a big focus on PvP (otherwise why would they make 2 Tournaments?), and by having an unbalaced roster, you're already giving players a reason to stick with the canon strongest or their own completely broken CaC, and that already is a problem in these games.

Wanna make it unbalaced? Sure, take a page from Spike and let me go nuts on the costumization with an option to turn said costumization off during matches.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed May 18, 2016 1:41 pm

Anyone else hoping for more original ultimate attacks ? Using the final flash is great but I like for me CaC to be more original.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Spenzer
Beyond Newbie

Post by Spenzer » Wed May 18, 2016 1:53 pm

Did anything from V Jump leak yet? Lol I'm so hyped I need more pictures or info! :D

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed May 18, 2016 2:05 pm

I'm kinda worried about how much development time this game could have had. It came out on February 5th. It's been over a year, and it sounds like we'll have maybe around a years development time, or just over a year. I don't like the sound of that. Means a lot of reused assets, and perhaps just a prettier slightly tweaked experience. I really hope the developers come out and address all the problems the last game had. It needs addressing if the short development time is to be trusted.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed May 18, 2016 2:11 pm

Spenzer wrote:Did anything from V Jump leak yet? Lol I'm so hyped I need more pictures or info! :D
Super's 12th chapter so we should get something any minute now.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed May 18, 2016 2:12 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:I'm kinda worried about how much development time this game could have had. It came out on February 5th. It's been over a year, and it sounds like we'll have maybe around a years development time, or just over a year. I don't like the sound of that. Means a lot of reused assets, and perhaps just a prettier slightly tweaked experience. I really hope the developers come out and address all the problems the last game had. It needs addressing if the short development time is to be trusted.
Development likely started either very shortly after release of the first game or a little before. Either way the dev time will have been a little less than 2 years. That's already better than any of the other Dimps or Spike DBZ games. Reusing the same engine and assets will have also allowed them to start making new content and work on the gameplay faster than if they had moved to a new engine or redone the existing assets.
If you're worried about the post launch support of the first game eating into this one's dev time don't be, DLC and post launch patches are done by small teams that are put together specifically for that purpose, so it wouldn't eat into the dev time of this game.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed May 18, 2016 2:21 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:It sounds like we'll have maybe around a years development time, or just over a year. I don't like the sound of that. Means a lot of reused assets, and perhaps just a prettier slightly tweaked experience.
It's a sequel so the development time won't be going to building a game from scratch like the 1st one. instead the team's focus will be on introducing new things like characters and updating established things like the gameplay.

Assuming they started right after the 1st one released and this one being released in October, that'll be over a year and a half of development time which isn't bad for what they'll be doing.

Personally I think it'll get delayed to February.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed May 18, 2016 2:24 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:I'm kinda worried about how much development time this game could have had. It came out on February 5th. It's been over a year, and it sounds like we'll have maybe around a years development time, or just over a year. I don't like the sound of that. Means a lot of reused assets, and perhaps just a prettier slightly tweaked experience. I really hope the developers come out and address all the problems the last game had. It needs addressing if the short development time is to be trusted.
Development likely started either very shortly after release of the first game or a little before. Either way the dev time will have been a little less than 2 years. That's already better than any of the other Dimps or Spike DBZ games. Reusing the same engine and assets will have also allowed them to start making new content and work on the gameplay faster than if they had moved to a new engine or redone the existing assets.
If you're worried about the post launch support of the first game eating into this one's dev time don't be, DLC and post launch patches are done by small teams that are put together specifically for that purpose, so it wouldn't eat into the dev time of this game.
I'm not really sure how it could have 2 years development. I'd think a sales figure would decide that. I don't think they'd pump out sequels without seeing sales reception and critical reception. Otherwise we may have got an Ultimate Tenkaichi 2 (I guess maybe that's kinect) or Battle of Z 2. Though I suppose we'll have to wait til we know just when they actually started on the second game. I didn't think about the DLC being a small team so that least could alleviate some of the short time span.