"Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2" Official Discussion Thread

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:03 pm

Zeru14 wrote:Well it seems that they are following Dragonball Online and Heroes for transformations.
Majin Race
-Pure Form
I was hoping they would consider letting characters turn into "Super" Buu as well. The Female Majins getting a pure form seems redundant.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:17 pm

BlazingBarrrager wrote:
Anime Kitten wrote:The forms I want most for Saiyans are SSJ4, God, and Blue. So I'd be pretty happy if they announced that.
Sure let's just kick the other races in the balls and make Saiyans more OP. >.>
They're definitely not adding those forms. I said I'd be happy if they did. Besides, there's not much they can do about the other races, but I'm still gonna wait and see.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:21 pm

So I finally see the clip for Race Transformations and I have to say...I'm getting goddamn tired of seeing how lazy they're being with this game. Even with Saiyans it's lazy. The SS3 hair is exactly the same for both races, regardless of hair style. It doesn't look like a natural progression, like it was for Goku and even Vegeta in the other games. It's just cut and copied with no variation.

And the "Pure Majin" form is even more lazy. Just having the Majin CaC transform into Kid Buu is just boring and completely lacks any kind of imagination on their part. I would rather have an aura change for a Majin transformation than be made to look like Kid Buu. Heck, he Villainous Mode figures in XV1 that had that Dark Charge for powering up would've been perfect for Majin's as an aura and change in their charge up skill. Not this nonsense.

Then we have Frost Demons who just get slapped with the Golden Freeza recolor. I'm glad we're getting Race Transformations. But this is just boring, lazy and lacks any kind of creative thought by the team. This isn't Dimps. This' the new kids who Dimps had to hire after all the original staff jumped ship.

Ya know how Frost Demon transformations could've worked? Do it like it was in the Tenkaichi games. You selected skills and boons for each transformation for those characters that had them. In this case, the player CaC could select up to two Alternate premade outfits/setups to use as the Transformation, changing the character's physical appearance and skills, and then earning the GFD (Golden Frost Demon) transformation as a final upgrade. This would allow players to customize the appearance of their transformations for Frost Demonsto some degree and allow for more strategic play in PvP and PvE. Enabling them to change up their fighting style and combat skills.

As for Majins, they should be more adapted to resemble the appearances of the Kais who were absorbed. Such as, say, Male Majin could transform to resemble Buu's Buff form if they focused more on Strike Attacks and melee, or slimmed up to be more like Gray/Evil Buu if the focus was on Ki Supers/Ultimates, which would give variation to the players transformations based off how they built their character. And Female Majin could become taller to look more like the Western Supreme Kai. Yes I know she wasn't absorbed, but it makes more sense than Female Majin turning into Kid Buu.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:32 pm

:| Ya can't please everyone.

Anyways, so Golden Frieza's the only transformation for the Frieza race huh? Not mad at that, because the way the transformation system works, it kinda fits. I do wish they did the 100% full power one too, it could fit into the transformation system, due to the fact that in the show, Frieza reverted back into his final form from that form. Oh well, excited either way, at least my second favorite race has a transformation now.
sangofe wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX-_FplkMn8

- So according to these guys, Xenoverse 2 is more or less v 1.5, and not really a sequel. The models of the characters look exactly like they did in XV1, and they seem to play more or less the same way (and are too similar). Some good things though: camera when a character charges his ki is shaking, along with rocks floating around the character. And there's a simple attack called "The Homing Dash" that lets you dash while attacking to the opponent no matter how far you are. Plus they mentioned one of Burst Limit's hits, the Stamina Break, are in the game.
Yeah, I hate to be that guy who says this, but people need to chill out about saying "this one's looks the same". What did they expect? It was like that with Storm 4, Tekken 7, and Street FIghter 5(worst sf game ever BTW), with the graphics and the gameplay mechanics looking way similar to their predecessors, yet look where these games are at now, they improved in future updates. I'm sure this one will have a similar outcome too.

Anyways, nice to see that I was right about the game having more combos.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Shin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shin » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:37 pm

Zelvin wrote:So I finally see the clip for Race Transformations and I have to say...I'm getting goddamn tired of seeing how lazy they're being with this game. Even with Saiyans it's lazy. The SS3 hair is exactly the same for both races, regardless of hair style. It doesn't look like a natural progression, like it was for Goku and even Vegeta in the other games. It's just cut and copied with no variation.

And the "Pure Majin" form is even more lazy. Just having the Majin CaC transform into Kid Buu is just boring and completely lacks any kind of imagination on their part. I would rather have an aura change for a Majin transformation than be made to look like Kid Buu. Heck, he Villainous Mode figures in XV1 that had that Dark Charge for powering up would've been perfect for Majin's as an aura and change in their charge up skill. Not this nonsense.

Then we have Frost Demons who just get slapped with the Golden Freeza recolor. I'm glad we're getting Race Transformations. But this is just boring, lazy and lacks any kind of creative thought by the team. This isn't Dimps. This' the new kids who Dimps had to hire after all the original staff jumped ship.

Ya know how Frost Demon transformations could've worked? Do it like it was in the Tenkaichi games. You selected skills and boons for each transformation for those characters that had them. In this case, the player CaC could select up to two Alternate premade outfits/setups to use as the Transformation, changing the character's physical appearance and skills, and then earning the GFD (Golden Frost Demon) transformation as a final upgrade. This would allow players to customize the appearance of their transformations for Frost Demonsto some degree and allow for more strategic play in PvP and PvE. Enabling them to change up their fighting style and combat skills.

As for Majins, they should be more adapted to resemble the appearances of the Kais who were absorbed. Such as, say, Male Majin could transform to resemble Buu's Buff form if they focused more on Strike Attacks and melee, or slimmed up to be more like Gray/Evil Buu if the focus was on Ki Supers/Ultimates, which would give variation to the players transformations based off how they built their character. And Female Majin could become taller to look more like the Western Supreme Kai. Yes I know she wasn't absorbed, but it makes more sense than Female Majin turning into Kid Buu.
I keep seeing the same argument about the lack of "creativity" and the amount of "laziness" of transformations being handled in this game. We've only seen two Saiyans go SSJ3 so far so I don't see the point in jumping the gun. In fact, why do we need a bunch of hairstyles for SSJ3? All of them look exactly the same minus the bangs.

When it comes to Frost Demon transformations, we have to keep in mind that going out of the way to create MANY different looking head, torso, leg, etc. pieces would be costly and time consuming. Not to mention it would probably cause more clipping issues if you were to select pieces that clash together in terms of design and size. The idea of customizing the transformation itself would make the degree of customization between the races unbalanced too. The Golden form is the most reasonable thing to do in this situation.

For Majins they're just evolving into their true form since every member of the Majin Race, male or female, literally comes from Pure Buu. I don't see the problem with that.

What I'm ultimately trying to illustrate here is that if you were really expecting a huge overhaul with how transformations worked between every race in such a short dev cycle, then it's time to start understanding how much time, effort, and money these additions cost. We have to remember this is a licensed anime game, not a multi million dollar AAA title.
Dragon Ball /Z/GT/Super is a children's show and there's nothing wrong with that.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:43 pm

Psycho50501 wrote:Well it looks like the Deluxe Edition is GAMESTOP EXCLSUIVE. Thats why it's not on Amazon.
God damn!!! Really, being born where I am was really picking up a short straw... I hope that Gamestop ships to Czech Republic then :(
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:47 pm

Shin wrote:I keep seeing the same argument about the lack of "creativity" and the amount of "laziness" of transformations being handled in this game. We've only seen two Saiyans go SSJ3 so far so I don't see the point in jumping the gun. In fact, why do we need a bunch of hairstyles for SSJ3? All of them look exactly the same minus the bangs.

When it comes to Frost Demon transformations, we have to keep in mind that going out of the way to create MANY different looking head, torso, leg, etc. pieces would be costly and time consuming. Not to mention it would probably cause more clipping issues if you were to select pieces that clash together in terms of design and size. The idea of customizing the transformation itself would make the degree of customization between the races unbalanced too. The Golden form is the most reasonable thing to do in this situation.

For Majins they're just evolving into their true form since every member of the Majin Race, male or female, literally comes from Pure Buu. I don't see the problem with that.
Actually, as I posted earlier, it looks like that the hair is the only part that's the same for both genders (minus the bang). When I took a close look at screenshots of both genders I noticed that males lacked eyebrows while females did not. Also females kept their pupils, although whether this was another lazy attempt on Dimps' side or not is unknown.

Majins going into their Pure form also stems from DBO, where they had the exact same transformation. It's not just a transformation for Majins, it's almost lore-based if DBO's storyline can still be called "true."

Freeza Race's transformation I honestly had no problem with ever since Freeza used it. When you think about it, it's actually following the "Toriyama Nightmarish" trait he did for Freeza's restricted forms: what's scarier than Freeza in his small, slender final form? Seeing that form going "Super Saiyan." Doubles as irony since the Super Saiyan form is considered Freeza's worst nightmare.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:48 pm

I'm fine more or less with the Golden form (though I do wish we got to choose the color, and that it made some vague changes to the body beyond coloring, like Freeza's did), but the only one I'm really concerned with right now is the 'Pure' form for Majins. Looking exactly like Kid Boo only in the color that you've made them is one thing, but...really hope they don't always play exactly like him too, IE that rolling combo. I'm sure the attacks will be different given that'd be something you set up with the character you've made, but still.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:52 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I'm fine more or less with the Golden form (though I do wish we got to choose the color, and that it made some vague changes to the body beyond coloring, like Freeza's did), but the only one I'm really concerned with right now is the 'Pure' form for Majins. Looking exactly like Kid Boo only in the color that you've made them is one thing, but...really hope they don't always play exactly like him too, IE that rolling combo. I'm sure the attacks will be different given that'd be something you set up with the character you've made, but still.
Yeah, but staying true to the tradition, Kid Buu in Xenoverse is a beast. He's always one of the strongest characters in videogame with insane combos.
So I am thinking about moving from Saiyan avatar to Majin avatar in the next game.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:54 pm

If the female Pure Form looks less like Kid Buu himself, then I might go with a Majin too.
MyAnimeList | AniList

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:56 pm

Oh that's definitely true - Kid Buu is pretty much always a beast in the video games. He was beyond rage inducing in Budokai 2 back in the day, holy crap.

I just think it'd be kind of lame if the way he moves and everything is copied from Kid Buu instead of being still more akin to the way you have your Majin set up, that's all. Also, with all this SS3 stuff popping up for the Saiyans, has anything been shown in regards to regular SS transformations yet? Is it still just our regular hair turning blonde?
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:58 pm

We've only seen it on one hairstyle, which is already spiked up. And we haven't really seen SSJ2, unfortunately.
MyAnimeList | AniList

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:02 pm

Ahh, so there's still hope...minute as it might be.

I'm betting it probably will be the same again (especially after seeing the Golden form for Freeza's clan), but I really hope it's not. I'm not asking for the moon, just at least a slightly different hairstyle between base and SS. Then they can keep that hair for SS2 and just make the aura a little different if they wanted to take the easy way out there. SS3 already has it's new hairstyle. Even if we actually got SSG and/or SSB, they'd already have the hairstyles needed for that too just between base and SS, just with different coloring.
Twitter

Shin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shin » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:05 pm

BlazingBarrrager wrote:
Shin wrote:I keep seeing the same argument about the lack of "creativity" and the amount of "laziness" of transformations being handled in this game. We've only seen two Saiyans go SSJ3 so far so I don't see the point in jumping the gun. In fact, why do we need a bunch of hairstyles for SSJ3? All of them look exactly the same minus the bangs.

Actually, as I posted earlier, it looks like that the hair is the only part that's the same for both genders (minus the bang). When I took a close look at screenshots of both genders I noticed that males lacked eyebrows while females did not. Also females kept their pupils, although whether this was another lazy attempt on Dimps' side or not is unknown.

Majins going into their Pure form also stems from DBO, where they had the exact same transformation. It's not just a transformation for Majins, it's almost lore-based if DBO's storyline can still be called "true."

Freeza Race's transformation I honestly had no problem with ever since Freeza used it. When you think about it, it's actually following the "Toriyama Nightmarish" trait he did for Freeza's restricted forms: what's scarier than Freeza in his small, slender final form? Seeing that form going "Super Saiyan." Doubles as irony since the Super Saiyan form is considered Freeza's worst nightmare.
Exactly! These are other reasons why the way everything is being handled is fine.
Dragon Ball /Z/GT/Super is a children's show and there's nothing wrong with that.

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:26 pm

Shin wrote:
I keep seeing the same argument about the lack of "creativity" and the amount of "laziness" of transformations being handled in this game. We've only seen two Saiyans go SSJ3 so far so I don't see the point in jumping the gun. In fact, why do we need a bunch of hairstyles for SSJ3? All of them look exactly the same minus the bangs.
If you look at Heroes, everyone got SS3 in that. Gotenks, Future Trunks, Broly, the Saiyan Hero and Heroine, and there were differences in some of them. Especially the Heroine. Heck, recall Future Trunks after training with Vegeta. When he went just SSJ, he retained his pony tail. It got sharper and pointier, but it was still a change from his normal look. The Heroine does have a ponytail tied back, and the SS3 hair still indicates that.

I'm not suggesting we have a plethora of variations to the SS3 hair, just a few to actually indicate variation that may be affected by certain hairstyle choices.
And I already explained how this can work. Take a preset and set it as the transformed appearance. Very simple, but very effective. I'm sure you remember how you could have multiple saved presets for your CaC so you could pick the one you wanted to use when starting a fight. It's the same thing as that except locking in certain ones to use as the character transformation. It would not be difficult and clipping is hardly an issue worth being concerned with. They're not doing much to fix that this time around anyway.
Kid Buu was the original, however the entire race as it stands, are all derived from Good Buu, aka Mr. Buu, as well as the first Majin created by him, Ms. Buu (aka Majin Booby). The thing to note is that they aren't pure. In fact, it would make more sense for their appearance to resemble Super Buu when transforming, since the loss of Good Buu is what resulted in Super Buu reverting into Evil Kid Buu. And since all Major are derived from Good Buu, it actually doesn't make sense for them to devolve into a Kid Buu appearance as their "pure" form. Again, I'd have preferred an Aura Change to this.
What I'm ultimately trying to illustrate here is that if you were really expecting a huge overhaul with how transformations worked between every race in such a short dev cycle, then it's time to start understanding how much time, effort, and money these additions cost. We have to remember this is a licensed anime game, not a multi million dollar AAA title.
Most AAA titles put most of their budget on large sandboxes, Voice Acting and Graphics. XV2 does not have an expansive sandbox, does not have an extensive voice library, does not have extensive photo-realistic graphics, and it isn't building a new engine from scratch. In short, their actual expenses on this aren't nearly what you believe them to be.

I have looked into budgets and development costs for games before. And games with high budgets still suck balls because effort wasn't put into the actual gameplay. Low budget games can ultimately do very well by focusing on gameplay and telling a compelling story without much spent in the way of graphics. And I can tell you right now, XV2 isn't pushing any graphical limits here. It's only slightly more polished from the first game, and all the same models are being reused. Something that actually lowers the cost of development because they don't have to begin from scratch. It's a tactic used by every game developer out there.

What I find funny is, even after looking around, I can't find any statement alluding to how much Bandai/Namco and Dimps have put into development of Xenoverse nor XV2. I got figures for large titles like Skyrim and Destiny, the latter of which was over $200million in development costs. But not one word for any recent Dragon Ball games. Should try to figure out why that is. The only thing I keep getting is how much XV2's Deluxe and Collector's Editions are going for, which isn't what I was searching for.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:30 pm

I really hope that the Majin transformation literally isn't just a recolour of Kid Buu like it was shown off in that gameplay clip. That'd be really lame. I mean, it's cool that they have a transformation and all but there should be more changes than just a recolour.

I'm not too fussed about it since I'll be playing the game as a Saiyan character, but once I've finished the story I'll definitely make a character with each race just to see the differences.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:14 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I really hope that the Majin transformation literally isn't just a recolour of Kid Buu like it was shown off in that gameplay clip. That'd be really lame. I mean, it's cool that they have a transformation and all but there should be more changes than just a recolour.

I'm not too fussed about it since I'll be playing the game as a Saiyan character, but once I've finished the story I'll definitely make a character with each race just to see the differences.
I was kind of disappointed that you lose your accessories and antenna style in the pure form. It really loses its connection to it being your character, but just a swap out. With kid Buus animations as well it also implies that your character will always look evil. (are all pure Buu's inherently evil?) and it will be even lamer if the girl majins lose their antenna styles and boobs because kid Buu's model is male and default for the form.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:29 am

Zelvin wrote: The SS3 hair is exactly the same for both races, regardless of hair style. It doesn't look like a natural progression, like it was for Goku and even Vegeta in the other games. It's just cut and copied with no variation.
That's pretty much what SS3 hair is like for everyone, even outside of the games.
You would rather they do an aura change than a physical change? Wouldn't that be even more "lazy"? This type of transformation for the Majin's is pretty much the same as in DBO. Except that at least this time the Kid form keeps the color of your Majin. How varied can it be? We've only ever seen on example of Kid Boo, so there's not much leeway there.

You should get into game design. You seem the know the ins and outs of the entire process. With a visionary like you in the field, I'm sure the gaming industry will be revolutionized!
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Shin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shin » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:35 am

So is there a panel going on tomorrow? Or was that what happened this morning with the transformation showcase?

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:20 am

Big Momma wrote:You should get into game design. You seem the know the ins and outs of the entire process. With a visionary like you in the field, I'm sure the gaming industry will be revolutionized!
What he says sounds incredibly manageable and sensible. No need to defend lazy game design.

I agree with what some people say about lack of options and disappointment in the transformations, but DIMPS needs to give us SOME reason to buy Xenoverse 3, right?