"Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

supersaiyangodgogeta
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2" Official Discussion Thread

Post by supersaiyangodgogeta » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:09 pm

Haven't played this in a while. Honestly better work needs to be done with the DLC characters. No idea what they were doing when making God Toppo's moveset. He doesn't have the huge Hakai orb that he used against Vegeta in their final clash, just the tiny one that he used against Frieza's Supernova. And he has some random moves that don't fit him at all.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:06 am

I actually don't mind the plasticy look but maybe I'm just used to it. I like who FighterZ looked but I don't want a game to look like another game I want it to have it's own style.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:09 am

TobyS wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:06 am I actually don't mind the plasticy look but maybe I'm just used to it. I like who FighterZ looked but I don't want a game to look like another game I want it to have it's own style.
I'm glad you're okay with it, but god I hate the plastic look to XV2. It makes the game look so cheap and awful.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:49 pm

It isn't just the plastic that make the models look like that. Most of them are either off-modeled or a victim of the bad lighting and the PS3 quality assets with terrible rigging and no support for decent facial animations. It could also use some better textures.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:05 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:49 pm It isn't just the plastic that make the models look like that. Most of them are either off-modeled or a victim of the bad lighting and the PS3 quality assets with terrible rigging and no support for decent facial animations. It could also use some better textures.
And once again, mods to the rescue.

I'm cynical enough to believe Bamco will keep the plasticy look for XV3 if it ever happens because the whole point was to replicate the look of the toys and Yamamuro's squeaky style.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:35 pm

Yuli Ban wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:05 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:49 pm It isn't just the plastic that make the models look like that. Most of them are either off-modeled or a victim of the bad lighting and the PS3 quality assets with terrible rigging and no support for decent facial animations. It could also use some better textures.
And once again, mods to the rescue.

I'm cynical enough to believe Bamco will keep the plasticy look for XV3 if it ever happens because the whole point was to replicate the look of the toys and Yamamuro's squeaky style.
As far as mods go, that actually isn't bad. I hope they improve the particle effects next.

Yamamuro's style actually looks alright when a competent team is behind it. Look at Legends. I think the main thing we should be worrying about is the developers. There are so many things they have to fix and add and it all depends on how much they care and (if they do care) what their taste in visuals are like.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:00 pm

Aside from FighterZ, Vegeta has been extremely off-model since the first Raging Blast back in 2009 for whatever reason. They got it almost perfect in the PS2 era, not sure why it was suddenly rocket science to just make him look like the character...
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:29 pm

Thanos wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:00 pm
Aside from FighterZ, Vegeta has been extremely off-model since the first Raging Blast back in 2009 for whatever reason. They got it almost perfect in the PS2 era, not sure why it was suddenly rocket science to just make him look like the character...
I think Legends nailed it with their new Vegeta unit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhhGXqLzBqs

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:05 am

So I merely want to rip the character select images from the game, and someone gave me the tools and directions to do it with, but I still can't figure it out (side note: I'm pretty stupid). I asked them and members of the modding community and I haven't gotten an answer. Anybody here dick with mods that can help me figure it out? I'm not looking to actually edit anything, I'm just trying to pull images out.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:10 am

Jiren full power is here

https://en.dragon-ball-official.com/news/01_303.html

p.s. EOZ Trunks (outfit) is a nice surprise.
Last edited by Gt91 on Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:20 am

So he has that eye glare attack and the one that he used after Toppo's pep talk, I totally forgot about that one. And to think people were saying he didn't have enough attacks...

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:55 am

Gt91 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:10 am Jiren full power is here

Wasn't this DLC supposed to release in July or August 2021? Now it's fall?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:29 am

Scsigs wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:55 am
Gt91 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:10 am Jiren full power is here

Wasn't this DLC supposed to release in July or August 2021? Now it's fall?
No, it's always been fall.
Kakaroth DLC 3 was released this summer.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:36 pm

It's funny I see the bulma outfit as the db legends bulma outfit at this point.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:19 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:09 amI'm glad you're okay with it, but god I hate the plastic look to XV2. It makes the game look so cheap and awful.
That’s one thing that’s been good about the PS4 generation and beyond (let’s not kid ourselves, XV2 is just a continuation of the PS3 aesthetic from the original games), is you don’t really see that ugly, plastic-y aesthetic much in cartoony video games anymore. I mean, even back on GameCube there was a perfectly serviceable cel-shading aesthetic that should probably be the basis for all video games attempting to emulate cartoons, and yet so many developers went for that plastic-y look that only exists in video games. It’s like there was no attempt at actually making them look like a cartoon but rather a decidedly “this is a video game” look, honestly I don’t know what they were going for. It’s like in Raging Blast 2 when they changed the cel-shading to... whatever that was. It wasn’t bad looking necessarily but it’s just a very “game-y” aesthetic which is not appealing at all. The intent should be to try to emulate what cartoons look like, such as FighterZ, but a lot of developers seem to lean into that contrary look.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:59 pm

Better shaders is a good start, but I think each model needs a total rework. Also I'm not sure if this is a little much, but I really do think the next game needs to be as on-par with FighterZ as 3D game possibly can when it comes to visuals.

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:48 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:59 pm Better shaders is a good start, but I think each model needs a total rework. Also I'm not sure if this is a little much, but I really do think the next game needs to be as on-par with FighterZ as 3D game possibly can when it comes to visuals.
Yeah, FighterZ really set that standard and seeing Kakarot’s subpar, obviously off-model characters was almost embarrassing in comparison.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:09 pm

Thanos wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:48 am
IntangibleFancy wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:59 pm Better shaders is a good start, but I think each model needs a total rework. Also I'm not sure if this is a little much, but I really do think the next game needs to be as on-par with FighterZ as 3D game possibly can when it comes to visuals.
Yeah, FighterZ really set that standard and seeing Kakarot’s subpar, obviously off-model characters was almost embarrassing in comparison.
Yeah the models suck, but the particle effects they used for the energy beams and auras were amazing. Quite possibly the best looking and most anime-accurate to come out of a Dragon Ball game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b7FDaxvnWs

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:11 pm

FighterZ's models + shading are definitely amazing and makes it clear that there's no issue with rendering these characters in 3D. They look so ridiculously close to actual 2D that it's astounding. If Dragon Ball 2uper Hero looks like FighterZ, I won't be upset.

I still think Shin Butoden and Ultimate Battle 22 had the best approach of just using hand-drawn animation cel sprites. Those sprites updated for modern HD hardware would be godly.

And seeing Toei Sonic in Robo Blast 2 proves to me that you can do cels in 3D
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:11 pm

Yuli Ban wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:11 pm FighterZ's models + shading are definitely amazing and makes it clear that there's no issue with rendering these characters in 3D. They look so ridiculously close to actual 2D that it's astounding. If Dragon Ball 2uper Hero looks like FighterZ, I won't be upset.

I still think Shin Butoden and Ultimate Battle 22 had the best approach of just using hand-drawn animation cel sprites. Those sprites updated for modern HD hardware would be godly.

And seeing Toei Sonic in Robo Blast 2 proves to me that you can do cels in 3D
I know it takes a bunch of smoke and mirrors and dynamic camera tricks to pull off the intro/outros and ultimate moves, but I don't know if FighterZ's in-game models could be replicated in a 3D game.