"Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:49 pm

XV3 in two years??? 8 years from XV2 to XV3. This better be good, almost a decade in the making...

Spoilers from 2024: nope, AI still doesn't transform or help you at all, and you now need 200 full ki bars in order to transform. And everybody looks like they belong to the House of Wax

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:17 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:49 pm XV3 in two years??? 8 years from XV2 to XV3. This better be good, almost a decade in the making...

Spoilers from 2024: nope, AI still doesn't transform or help you at all, and you now need 200 full ki bars in order to transform. And everybody looks like they belong to the House of Wax
Look at Bethesda with the Elder Scrolls franchise. Over a decade later, and outside of mods, barely any updates to the core game and DLCs. And only the confirmation that they have "begun" on Elder Scrolls 6. So, looking at maybe 2025 for Skyrim's sequel. Maybe.

OrangeBanana
Beyond Newbie

Post by OrangeBanana » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:49 pm

XV3 in two years does make sense if you take into account the type of DLC being released for XV2 now, its all purely vote determined probably to maximise sales of the DLC. And besides XV is a real juggernaut of a DB videogame, bandai/dimps would be stupid to not make a third one.

Super Saiyan Zach

Post by Super Saiyan Zach » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:55 pm

I could definitely see them waiting until 2024 for XV3 (and probably 2025 for FighterZ 2). They'll likely be exclusively on PS5/XSX (and hopefully Switch or Switch 2 as well), so naturally they'll want the install base to grow some more and for more time for the shortages to sort themselves out. PS4/Xbox One didn't get an exclusive DBZ game until a full 3 years after launch and those systems were nowhere near as supply constrained as PS5/XSX, so an extra year makes sense.

Hopefully that means this generation will be a year or two longer than the usual 7 year generations we've had since the PS3/360 days.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:47 pm

Super Saiyan Zach wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:55 pm I could definitely see them waiting until 2024 for XV3 (and probably 2025 for FighterZ 2). They'll likely be exclusively on PS5/XSX (and hopefully Switch or Switch 2 as well), so naturally they'll want the install base to grow some more and for more time for the shortages to sort themselves out. PS4/Xbox One didn't get an exclusive DBZ game until a full 3 years after launch and those systems were nowhere near as supply constrained as PS5/XSX, so an extra year makes sense.

Hopefully that means this generation will be a year or two longer than the usual 7 year generations we've had since the PS3/360 days.
I can see this gen going probably 7-10 years, especially since there's been the unusually slow ability to be able to adopt the new consoles that previous generations didn't have partly because of COVID, partly because of chip shortages.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:56 am

Jackalope89 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:17 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:49 pm XV3 in two years??? 8 years from XV2 to XV3. This better be good, almost a decade in the making...

Look at Bethesda with the Elder Scrolls franchise. Over a decade later, and outside of mods, barely any updates to the core game and DLCs. And only the confirmation that they have "begun" on Elder Scrolls 6. So, looking at maybe 2025 for Skyrim's sequel. Maybe.
I'm not super familiar with those games but to me XV2 felt outdated fairly quickly. Don't forget on launch the game was almost a copy of XV1 with a slight upgrade on graphics and fighting engine.

And after a year I was quickly wanting a new fighting engine. Going back is hard even with the new speed of the dlc characters, just feels clunky and I feel dbz games have come a long way since with feel. Fighterz and Kakarot were a lot more fluid and responsive.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:05 am

nato25 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:56 am
Jackalope89 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:17 pm

I'm not super familiar with those games but to me XV2 felt outdated fairly quickly. Don't forget on launch the game was almost a copy of XV1 with a slight upgrade on graphics and fighting engine.

And after a year I was quickly wanting a new fighting engine. Going back is hard even with the new speed of the dlc characters, just feels clunky and I feel dbz games have come a long way since with feel. Fighterz and Kakarot were a lot more fluid and responsive.
Skyrim came out in 2011. The Legendary Edition, in 2013. Other than a recent update to allow fishing, 2013 was the last official update. And only now just getting confirmation that a sequel is even in the works (but with about 2 major, multi-year games ahead of it), X2 has a ways to go before its hit that. Not to mention, Bethesda milked the crap out of Skyrim for years. Moreso than the slower updates and DLC releases of Xenoverse 2.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:23 am

This comparison doesn't make any sense.

Bethesda is its own developer (obviously now since purchased by Microsoft, but that's not particularly relevant to the timeframe). Since Skyrim, they've internally developed Fallout 4 (including its various DLC), Fallout 76 (as well as its expansions), and Starfield is on the horizon. They've also outsourced and overseen Elder Scrolls Online, and there have been other things like Fallout Shelter and The Elder Scrolls: Blades on smartphones. (And then there's all of Bethesda's own developer acquisitions and side studios -- they own Doom for god's sake!)

Dimps is a hired hand, available to work for whatever publisher hires them for whatever reason if its fits into their schedule and workload. Since the release of the first Xenoverse, Dimps was a huge contributor on the Street Fighter IV and V series as well as Soul Calibur VI, and have done countless other Jump franchise games. There's also a little side project no-one's heard of called Dragon Ball Heroes in the mix there!

Meanwhile, Shueisha/Toei/Bandai-Namco have pumped out numerous other Dragon Ball games over this time, some even in conjunctions with Dimps as noted above (e.g., Heroes arcade continuations and ports, then there's FighterZ, Kakarot, Dokkan, Legends).

There was even a time not too long ago that XV2, FighterZ, and Kakarot were all receiving concurrent content updates! Three games at once all with honest to goodness content support! That could even continue were Kakarot to receive anything else! (FighterZ just got a reasonably large balance patch this week-ish, right?)

The concurrent era of XV2 / FighterZ / Kakarot is a goddamn wealth of riches for Dragon Ball gaming fans that you all haven't had since the PS2/DS generation where there were up to three completely different and valid fighting games on the market at the same time on the PS2, alongside all types of different genre experiences on handhelds.

I realize that not everyone is expected to know everything about every company and the entire history of these works, but it's bonkers to me that folks so deeply in the weeds can honestly sit and wonder if Dimps has been sitting on their thumbs since 2016. They've had plenty of work, and some I'd wager pays far better than Xenoverse development does.

(AND YET XV2 is still on fairly robust life support all this time, anyway!)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:42 am

Leakers just throwing “confirmed” dates like that has gotten so old. I’ll believe an announcement when I see it.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:04 pm

Hasn't Dimps made a new Dragon Ball game every quarter since they signed that deal with Toei? I think the comparison to Skyrim is pretty accurate. Some developers have figured out that it's more profitable to milk a popular game than to put resources into a brand new game. With Bethesda, they didn't even want to put effort into making DLCs. They found people who were making mods and asked to use their work instead.

Rockstar is another example. Why would they be in a hurry to make GTA6 when GTA Online is raking in so much dough?

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:27 pm

Sorry. Not "every quarter." I mean to say "every fiscal year."

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:34 pm

Dimps hasn't, no (unless you count all of the ongoing Heroes work), but Bandai Namco (mostly?) has. Remember: Bandai Namco is the publisher, and Dimps is just one of the developers who works on games. (Dimps, Spike, ASW, CC2, etc. all work / have worked on DB and related games this past generation.)

I know folks always refer back to some nebulous "Bandai Namco has to put out a full DB game every year or they lose the sub-license" contract stipulation, but I do need to point out that such a thing has never actually been fully/truly revealed (always just cited from somewhere else, someone said once, definitely heard, surely has to be true...)

... and we've also translated things like this 2019 panel series that goes far more in depth with the licensing and internal / inter-company workings than anything some rando said on a forum once!

(Near as we can tell from actual things said by actual people who actually work on this franchise, there is no "signed a deal with Toei" thing... and it would be Shueisha at the top, anyway.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:18 am

It feels pointless that they made GT Vegeta in his own character when he could just be an alt for normal Vegeta. General Rildo or GT Goten would have been a better GT choice.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:39 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:18 am It feels pointless that they made GT Vegeta in his own character when he could just be an alt for normal Vegeta. General Rildo or GT Goten would have been a better GT choice.
And yet, it was the majority of fans playing the game that chose base GT Vegeta, not the devs. They just threw him in as a choice for people to pick from. While I do agree that they could'v picked a different character to do, they left it up to the players who wanted to vote & this is what a lot of them wanted.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:53 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:04 pm Hasn't Dimps made a new Dragon Ball game every quarter since they signed that deal with Toei? I think the comparison to Skyrim is pretty accurate. Some developers have figured out that it's more profitable to milk a popular game than to put resources into a brand new game. With Bethesda, they didn't even want to put effort into making DLCs. They found people who were making mods and asked to use their work instead.

Rockstar is another example. Why would they be in a hurry to make GTA6 when GTA Online is raking in so much dough?
Except that sort of ignores that a massive company like Bethesda is usually working on several projects at once. Bethesda more than likely has to pre-plan exactly how it will allocate its resources for each individual project. Also there totally was extensive DLC expansions for Skyrim so its not like they didn't put in effort in extending that game, in addition to porting it everywhere and that remaster they put out a couple of years ago. At some point though, a publisher needs to focus on the next game and that means pulling people and resources from a game that's already been released.

Game development is a massive undertaking that takes time and money to achieve, especially when we're talking about the sort of AAA experience that we now just sort of expect. Like, yeah GTA Online making so much money has given Rockstar plenty of wiggle room in regards to a GTA 6, but I guarantee you that GTA 6 has been in some form of pre-production for years now, probably shortly after GTA 5 was released.

Also to put into consideration: An announcement of a sequel can absolutely damper sales of the previous game that they are still supporting. Gaming is in a different spot right now where, back in the old days, ya made you "Halo 2"s and went immediately to making a Halo 3. Now with Games As A Service becoming the driving force of video games, it doesn't make much sense to cut off your userbase with the announcement of a new game. If Bandai Namco is still putting out dlc for the game (which is kinda crazy) then it means they're raking in enough dough that they can hold off on an announcement.

Also I'd really recommend people giving this video a watch as I think this relates to Vegetto's irritation in the video game threads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xou0au6OSZU&t=463s

Essentially part of the problem with video game discourse is that despite the fact that the video game industry makes so much money, there is so little knowledge about how video games are actually made. I mean the good news is that there are plenty of youtube video essays that go over this stuff, and Jason Schrier has been doing the lord's work in exposing a lot of the bullshit in the gaming industry. But I think there's still a lack of knowledge and understanding about what goes into making your favorite game that it leads to misinformation, and in some cases toxicity as gamers just sort of think games "just happen."

And that's not (usually) gamer's fault: it's the fault of an industry solely driven by hype culture and thus are insanely secretive over how their products get made.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:11 am

That's the first time I heard Dyspo's english VA, I love his voice

I'm playing on Steam instead of PS4 now and one thing I love about the PC version is that you can use a save editor to unlock everything. (not sure about Outfits though, only saw Skills)

I 100% the Xbox One version then switched to the PS4 version and 100% that too, I wasn't going to do it a 3rd time.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:57 am

Bardock God of Time wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:11 am That's the first time I heard Dyspo's english VA, I love his voice

I'm playing on Steam instead of PS4 now and one thing I love about the PC version is that you can use a save editor to unlock everything. (not sure about Outfits though, only saw Skills)

I 100% the Xbox One version then switched to the PS4 version and 100% that too, I wasn't going to do it a 3rd time.
IMO, the game isn't even worth 100%-ing the once, let alone twice, so the fact that you did that twice is enough.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:39 pm

Scsigs wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:57 am
Bardock God of Time wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:11 am That's the first time I heard Dyspo's english VA, I love his voice

IMO, the game isn't even worth 100%-ing the once, let alone twice, so the fact that you did that twice is enough.
Actually, I wouldn't say I 100-percented it, it's more so I 100-percented the Achievements/Trophies

I really wanted that Platinum on PS but I don't care about achievements anymore

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:31 am

So, I have the new Vote DLC and the Legends DLC.

I did the story mode with vegeta getting powered up, I'll do it again with Goku, I think that might be needed to z rank.

I kinda like they someeeetimes pay attention to detail with powerscaling.

Like obviously Beerus and Whis quotes show they are sandbagging in both games if you fight them.

Fuu needs to power you up to fight mastered UI.

In this one, where GT characters are a couple of steps down from the super era stuff your char is on par with, it makes a point to say you look pretty exhausted when Fuu picks you up.

I can't beat the "ultimate deck" guy on the figure colosseum" which is maddening, but I think I need new items for my team.

I guess I just have the XV1 story to do, easy way to farm some medals, and some Parallel quests. Shame we can't play as CAC 1.

Is the tournament thing active rn? I'll buy a month so I can unlock Kaioshin of Time.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.