"Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bardock God of Time
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Bardock God of Time » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:54 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:46 pm I hope Xenoverse 3 doesn't shy away from Heroes like the first two games did. They don't even have to adapt the story, I would love it if they just took a large handful of must-have characters like SS4 Vegito and that new Goku black form and made a new story out of it. I find it very odd that Xenoverse has been out for like 5 years now and the only thing they've done is give Bardock Super Saiyan 2 and 3 and that admittedly cool combo attack between Goku and Future-Gohan
I just want some throw back what-ifs like: Gokule and Tiencha.

And obscure characters like Neko Majin Z

I hope they go crazy with the story, MasakoX what if stuff - what if Goku was Kakarot or what if Gohan never stopped training

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:11 am

I think the biggest letdown was to not utilize the Dragon Ball Online concept and basically use just the Time Patrol and CAC idea and juxtapose it on DB story with just beating good or bad guys + 3 unique villains without proper context.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

dualist
Regular

Post by dualist » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:41 pm

I'm feeling the same way. XV had such a golden opportunity to lean in to the What If realm and go crazy with the DBH/DBO stuff so much more. The current iteration really is just a watered down version of the main timeline. If you took the XV play style and combined it with the crazy originality of DBH, the game would be absolutely amazing.

Hoping if we ever get XV3, this would be the direction they go in. With Kakarot engaged so much into aligning with the Manga, and FighterZ holding down the fighting genre, XV can really move into its own lane as kind of an MMO/Action RPG/Fighting hybrid. Even allow players to choose factions when they start; like choosing to either be a Time Patroller or Time Breaker.

This game has incredible potential to be even better.
Playing Xenovoerse on PS4
PSN Tag: Dualist721

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:09 am

XV3 is trending because the CM of one of Bandai's twitter accounts replied to somebody about how they also would like XV3 to be a thing. Meaning, it's not even close to be a thing.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:59 am

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:09 am XV3 is trending because the CM of one of Bandai's twitter accounts replied to somebody about how they also would like XV3 to be a thing. Meaning, it's not even close to be a thing.
That's not really confirming or denying anything.

They wouldn't outright say that XV3 isn't coming or that it's in development

FatLee

Post by FatLee » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:01 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:09 am XV3 is trending because the CM of one of Bandai's twitter accounts replied to somebody about how they also would like XV3 to be a thing. Meaning, it's not even close to be a thing.

He’s getting a disciplinary for sure.

I’m not really too fussed if we don’t get a X3. Sure, I’d get it and complete it and thoroughly enjoy it, but I feel the extensive DLC we got for X2 makes better sense. It’ll just be the same game at its core with new/different ‘what-if’ scenarios… which just makes better sense to be DLC for X2 instead of it’s own thing.

Modern_Dingus

Post by Modern_Dingus » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:57 pm

FatLee wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:01 pm

He’s getting a disciplinary for sure.

I’m not really too fussed if we don’t get a X3. Sure, I’d get it and complete it and thoroughly enjoy it, but I feel the extensive DLC we got for X2 makes better sense. It’ll just be the same game at its core with new/different ‘what-if’ scenarios… which just makes better sense to be DLC for X2 instead of it’s own thing.
This is the most likely thing that will happen, it's a sad thing when the most realistic option is the most disappointing.
Are you a fan of Xenoverse 2? Want to help spread awareness of other races utility? Check this out!
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=46756

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:31 pm

I honestly wouldn't mind a completely new game series, Xenoverse has served its purpose.
Bring Back Budokai:https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... it-2#intro
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:31 am

budokaifanatic007 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:31 pm I honestly wouldn't mind a completely new game series, Xenoverse has served its purpose.
I disagree. I personally don't think Xenoverse has reached its highest point yet. The DLC stories for 2 really show a lot of promise & a whole new game could really let them go all-out with it & use its potential really well.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:58 am

Scsigs wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:31 am
budokaifanatic007 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:31 pm I honestly wouldn't mind a completely new game series, Xenoverse has served its purpose.
I disagree. I personally don't think Xenoverse has reached its highest point yet. The DLC stories for 2 really show a lot of promise & a whole new game could really let them go all-out with it & use its potential really well.
Saying the potential is there is one thing. Ban-Nam actually delivering on it is incredibly unlikely, especially as they become more censorious and push more towards a "current year audience". There is a lot that can be done to make a 3rd Xenoverse great. But that requires actual effort and creative people pushing for it. However, since most casual fans will buy anything with the Dragonball logo on it, they don't have a reason to make any serious improvements to the game or the story. To them it's a wasted effort when they're going to make all the money off it anyway.

The DLC has, overall, been abysmal. For something they tried to pass off as a hybrid MMORPG/Fighting Game, it sucks at the job and when MMO's get DLC/Expansions, they're generally rather significant. Or they used to be. Now everything it cut into such minuscule bits of content to just draaaag people along and keep them drip fed with the barest amount of content possible, all for the sake of maintaining "player engagement". Never mind how backwards the releases have been. We got Kefla and Android 21 before we got Caulifla. You would've thought we'd get Kale and Caulifla separately, before getting Kefla. And why're we getting Caulifla NOW, when all hype for her was pretty much dead?

Hell, people still want Broly's other forms and not just be stuck with just his FP/Legendary form. Like they've done in like every game since Raging Blast 2. Still no Super Android 13 transformation either. There is just tons of content being cut out and dumped for the sake of random nonsense and "Balance" updates that keep nerfing the best ability sets in the game and forcing everyone to, once more, grind the Dragon Balls, reset their stats and rebuild their characters all over again while still trying to get you to pay for TP medals. I have 30million Zeni and nothing to spend it on. Anything worth a damn costs hundreds or thousands of TP medals.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:24 pm

I feel the same way, but a new new game would just put us back at square one with an inadequate roster and a boring rehash of Z and Super. I'd personally like a Heroes arena fighter or maybe something new that took Heroes' characters and some of its story/concepts.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:17 pm

Zelvin wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:58 am Saying the potential is there is one thing. Ban-Nam actually delivering on it is incredibly unlikely, especially as they become more censorious and push more towards a "current year audience". There is a lot that can be done to make a 3rd Xenoverse great. But that requires actual effort and creative people pushing for it. However, since most casual fans will buy anything with the Dragonball logo on it, they don't have a reason to make any serious improvements to the game or the story. To them it's a wasted effort when they're going to make all the money off it anyway.
That's honestly assuming a lot & not putting the blame squarely on the developers rather than Bandai Namco. Dimps has a track record of fastly improving as they go along with their game series. Although, they also have inconsistent quality, but XV2 showed they definitely made some good quality of life updates to the first game's problems. If they refine the combat further 7 thee writing of the story is good, I bet we'd get a great game out of it.
Zelvin wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:58 am The DLC has, overall, been abysmal. For something they tried to pass off as a hybrid MMORPG/Fighting Game, it sucks at the job and when MMO's get DLC/Expansions, they're generally rather significant. Or they used to be. Now everything it cut into such minuscule bits of content to just draaaag people along and keep them drip fed with the barest amount of content possible, all for the sake of maintaining "player engagement". Never mind how backwards the releases have been. We got Kefla and Android 21 before we got Caulifla. You would've thought we'd get Kale and Caulifla separately, before getting Kefla. And why're we getting Caulifla NOW, when all hype for her was pretty much dead?

Hell, people still want Broly's other forms and not just be stuck with just his FP/Legendary form. Like they've done in like every game since Raging Blast 2. Still no Super Android 13 transformation either. There is just tons of content being cut out and dumped for the sake of random nonsense and "Balance" updates that keep nerfing the best ability sets in the game and forcing everyone to, once more, grind the Dragon Balls, reset their stats and rebuild their characters all over again while still trying to get you to pay for TP medals. I have 30million Zeni and nothing to spend it on. Anything worth a damn costs hundreds or thousands of TP medals.
I admit, I like the story DLCs more than the character packs & it's stupid that there are so few characters per DLC pack, as well as the fact that they drip feed the DLC. The in-game economy is also fucked. I've been saying for years that the game desperately needs a currency exchange because the fact that it gives you more Zeni than TP Medals by a longshot is stupid as fuck. The reason I'd want a new game, though, is the story writing. And, to think that Bandai Namco wouldn't be ok with them being experimental when the Fu DLC was already that. If they lean more into content like that & maybe take more of an influence from Dragon Ball Heroes, I think it'd be very entertaining, especially if they make further refinements tot he combat system & graphics. I add graphics there because some models are weird (example: Gokau's Super Saiyan hair is off-model, same for Bardock's & Goku Black's since they just reused Goku's character model, with some alterations).
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:40 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:17 pm
That's honestly assuming a lot & not putting the blame squarely on the developers rather than Bandai Namco. Dimps has a track record of fastly improving as they go along with their game series. Although, they also have inconsistent quality, but XV2 showed they definitely made some good quality of life updates to the first game's problems. If they refine the combat further 7 thee writing of the story is good, I bet we'd get a great game out of it.
You should always hold the corpos responsible just as much, if not moreso, than the Devlopers. Since it's the latter who has to do what the Suits at the top decide they have to do. Which is why many a franchise and company has gone downhill over the years. And not just Ban-Nam but Sony as well who has rung the deathknell of many a property due to its censorious actions, pushing developers to censor at the source so games fit a more "Global Standard". Which just means to make them so basic and neutered that nobody wants to pick them up anymore.

There's a reason why so many game devs have fled the companies they themselves created or had been a part of for many many years. Once the suits start deciding what is and isn't allowed in your games, it's time to abandon ship, because it won't be long before the fans abandon it too.

Again, for the potential of the game itself, potential is meaningless without the drive to utilize and explore that potential. XV2 has already long been lambasted as just XV1.5 rather than a true sequel and vastly more content has been put out by the Modding Community on PC than the actual paid development team has in the last 5yrs since its release. That alone tells you how much potential the game has and how it's not being met by the games actual developers.
Scsigs wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:17 pmI admit, I like the story DLCs more than the character packs & it's stupid that there are so few characters per DLC pack, as well as the fact that they drip feed the DLC. The in-game economy is also fucked. I've been saying for years that the game desperately needs a currency exchange because the fact that it gives you more Zeni than TP Medals by a longshot is stupid as fuck. The reason I'd want a new game, though, is the story writing. And, to think that Bandai Namco wouldn't be ok with them being experimental when the Fu DLC was already that. If they lean more into content like that & maybe take more of an influence from Dragon Ball Heroes, I think it'd be very entertaining, especially if they make further refinements tot he combat system & graphics. I add graphics there because some models are weird (example: Gokau's Super Saiyan hair is off-model, same for Bardock's & Goku Black's since they just reused Goku's character model, with some alterations).
The Fu DLC wasn't all that experimental given the story beats for it are all just pulled from DBH. They weren't doing anything original. Dimps just pulled the ideas from the other game they worked on and shoved them into XV2. The same thing as with the Hero Coliseum. Which is just a downgraded version of DBH. If they wanted fun minigames for XV2, they could've done something way more fun and engaging that fits in with things already in the game.

Remember the hoverboards we got in XV2? And remember how utterly useless they became after finishing the Namek Arc and learning how to fly? They could've taken the vehicles, added a plethora more, and actually done a minigame like Mario Cart or some other racing game. Give players race courses around maps we already have in game, with upgrades we can apply to Vehicles for better steering, speed and stability. Give each vehicle its own stats and bring in stuff from Dragon Ball to use as vehicles. Like the cars Piccolo and Goku used for their Driving Test. Or Baby Gamera that Roshi used to travel on. Or some of Bulma's Capsule Corp bikes.

That could've been a fun minigame to have inbetween the boring and repetitive Patrol missions. And it would've definitely brought in more players. Especially if the races had good in-game rewards. Like special outfits and TP medals for completing races. The worst thing is that this is such an obvious idea to have and they instead went with the Hero Coliseum. Which gets very boring, very quickly, and grinding exp just to upgrade your heroes is aggravatingly tedious.

As far as graphics go. It's honestly less concerning than just making everything work and having minor changes. People STILL want transformable hair. Which we never got. Only SS3 changes your hair, and it's the same SS3 hair every time for Male and Female. No variation. Think about it. It's been more than a decade, but Dragon Ball Online still has better transformation hairdo's than the Xenoverse games do. And it only had SSJ.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:21 pm

Zelvin wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:40 pm As far as graphics go. It's honestly less concerning than just making everything work and having minor changes. People STILL want transformable hair. Which we never got. Only SS3 changes your hair, and it's the same SS3 hair every time for Male and Female. No variation. Think about it. It's been more than a decade, but Dragon Ball Online still has better transformation hairdo's than the Xenoverse games do. And it only had SSJ.
I'm personally concerned about the graphics, almost as much as I am about the story. It's like number 2 on my list.
It looks worse than a PS3 game, and a lot of people may not realize and think it's just the shading or textures that need some touching up, but a lot of the models are bad, and same thing goes for the particle effects and the backgrounds/world. I know I'm in the minority when I say this, but Anime (specifically Dragon Ball) is typically a visually-pleasing medium and I expect that to carry over to their respective games.

I thought it was just because they weren't used to the game and needed to settle in or it could have been the engine, but the newer models (while better) still don't really do the characters justice and aren't even as good as they are in Legends. It makes me worried since this isn't an engine problem and the off-modeled models will carry over to Xenoverse 3, and I totally don't expect them to work on every single asset and make them high quality when, as you pointed out, most Dragon Ball fans are easily satisfied. I was reading the comments for a video about this shading mod and I was like "wtf, it isn't even that good"
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Bardock God of Time
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:44 am

DLC releases sometime this week

Probably Thursday because the current raid ends

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:05 am

Any hope of a complete DLC pack once everything is released?

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:14 am

FP Jiren, base Gogeta, and Caulifla.

You have to wonder what pattern they follow to release the characters in this particular order.
I can't help but think about the manatees of South Park. XV2 releases characters as randomly as Family Guy tells jokes.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:29 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:14 am FP Jiren, base Gogeta, and Caulifla.

You have to wonder what pattern they follow to release the characters in this particular order.
I can't help but think about the manatees of South Park. XV2 releases characters as randomly as Family Guy tells jokes.
They take all the empty character slots (minus OG Dragon Ball, manga, and Heroes exclusive characters), put them on a wheel, and spin.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:10 am

I do not remember Kale being mentioned in the advertising...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsdVtyP0ENw

Releasing on November 5th

Also, I imagine Frieza has a sense of payback at the end there and has no idea why.

Also also, the end list of new content made me realize that the place they're fighting in is a new stage. Thought it was just exploading namek all this time.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Venus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Venus » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:43 am

And even more DLC coming next year.