"Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2" Official Discussion Thread

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:51 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:30 pm Does anyone else hate the way hair looks in this game? It's so plasticky and stiff and it looks especially worse on Goku and the saiyans; like a spray painted bald spot and a bunch of random spikes

I think Raging Blast had the right idea

Raging Blast series had superior models overall, just in RB2 (even tough it was my favorite game in the series and last one before I bought XV after me ignoring the franchise releases), the plastic shaded look was kind of strange. But Ultimate Tenkaichi, even tough I have skipped the game, looks marvelous still.

Xenoverse impressed me on release with the movement animation, that is definitely better than RB as it isn't as stiff like action figures but looked more like the actual series. Seeing Goku being fast, doing melee, vanishes and sommersaults, that was something refreshing and felt live.

True, Kakarot is kinda poor visually, tough I like the vibrant colours. But models look off in animation and cutscenes and transformations are basically swaping one model for another... well, Xenoverse does the same honestly and only Saiyans can transform (hair model switch) except for CACs (model swaps), but still I can understand it in a huge roster game which is based on custom editing, but in game oriented on cinematics and the original anime experience, that is lazy and look bad when in video outside of the gameplay. I liked some things about Kakarot and playing probably the closest thing to Legacy of Goku, tough it leaves a lot to be desired. Like having the pirate robot as a substitute for basically all the robots and call the same robot Pilaf Machine (even tough Pilaf Machine has it's own and completely different design in the series) and many lazy visual ideas in there... I have lot to say about Kakarot, but won't go off-topic.

For me, the best character and in-game designs go to Raging Blast series on second place and of course and without competition, FighterZ. FighterZ is spot on with everything.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:17 pm

Yeah Kakarot was kind of lazy with the models, but the way they handled those energy blasts were better than the other games since they look like they got ripped straight from the anime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMwj7wiWHJg

Dragon Ball Legends did a better job with the explosions though. The attacks have an actual impact on who gets hit, and characters even get vaporized and (occasionally) battle damaged.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXUtOX6KaEc
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:47 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:51 am But Ultimate Tenkaichi, even tough I have skipped the game, looks marvelous still.
If we go by more 3D and a bit less anime-style characters, i think Ultimate Tenkaichi is the best looking game. I prefer it over Kakarot honestly. Although Oozaru Baby's fur looks silly.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:01 am

sunsetshimmer wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:47 pm
MCDaveG wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:51 am But Ultimate Tenkaichi, even tough I have skipped the game, looks marvelous still.
If we go by more 3D and a bit less anime-style characters, i think Ultimate Tenkaichi is the best looking game. I prefer it over Kakarot honestly. Although Oozaru Baby's fur looks silly.
Looked it up and yeah, you are right, that all 3D looks horrible on Baby.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:50 am

MCDaveG wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:01 am Looked it up and yeah, you are right, that all 3D looks horrible on Baby.
Making it actual fur was awful idea. Especially considering none of characters in game have actual hair strands and they all look like in anime style, being textured polygons. They should've made it the same way games like Budokai Tenkaichi or Kakarot did. It looked especially bad on his head since his hair didn't have realistic shape to begin with making it look just stupid. It's the same reason why i can't imagine good looking live action DB film where characters look like in anime. Seeing realistic looking hair being shaped like Goku's hair would be bad. No wonder Evolution didn't really bother with it honestly, it was one of the very few right choices they made in this movie.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:00 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:50 am
MCDaveG wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:01 am Looked it up and yeah, you are right, that all 3D looks horrible on Baby.
Making it actual fur was awful idea. Especially considering none of characters in game have actual hair strands and they all look like in anime style, being textured polygons. They should've made it the same way games like Budokai Tenkaichi or Kakarot did. It looked especially bad on his head since his hair didn't have realistic shape to begin with making it look just stupid. It's the same reason why i can't imagine good looking live action DB film where characters look like in anime. Seeing realistic looking hair being shaped like Goku's hair would be bad. No wonder Evolution didn't really bother with it honestly, it was one of the very few right choices they made in this movie.
Anime live action movies are basically not a great idea... The Saint Seiya Sanctuary was 3D, with faces looking more anime, but it was the closest anime/live action adaptation and it was horrible... better than DB Evolution, but painful as well, even visually, because I think that Son Goku and other characters are so iconic for their simplistic and more minimalistic design (the exagerated shapes of hair for example) and it doesn't translate well into the more detailed real world setting, or looks rudiculous. I can't remember any good anime to live action adaptation of anything.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:38 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:00 pm I can't remember any good anime to live action adaptation of anything.
I personally think both japanese Death Note movies were good and looked pretty well but there wasn't much to ruin there when it comes to designs as most major characters had realistic designs while Ryuk and Rem were completely CGI and weren't humans so they could have more anime style hair.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:31 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:38 pm
MCDaveG wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:00 pm I can't remember any good anime to live action adaptation of anything.
I personally think both japanese Death Note movies were good and looked pretty well but there wasn't much to ruin there when it comes to designs as most major characters had realistic designs while Ryuk and Rem were completely CGI and weren't humans so they could have more anime style hair.
Gokushufudou (Way of the House Husband) is also pretty good (both manga and live action). Granted, its more of a slice of life/comedy with over the top reactions. But it works (and both are hilarious and quite wholesome).

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:59 pm

In my opinion the kenshin movies are the best live action anime movies from Japan. Speed Racer would probably be the best American made live action anime in my book.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:34 pm

I just got whiplash from how annoying the Expert Missions were after the 10th mission.

Like you can't hit the Omega Shenron with regular attacks, you just have to spam Supers and Ultimates...

No one's playing that mission online and I have to use CPU bots that aren't programmed to use their Supers and Ultimates for these missions, does anyone know supers that break his stamina?

dualist
Regular

Post by dualist » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:47 pm

Bardock God of Time wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:34 pm I just got whiplash from how annoying the Expert Missions were after the 10th mission.

Like you can't hit the Omega Shenron with regular attacks, you just have to spam Supers and Ultimates...

No one's playing that mission online and I have to use CPU bots that aren't programmed to use their Supers and Ultimates for these missions, does anyone know supers that break his stamina?
The trash AI is what makes it impossible to beat missions without the help of actual players. I wish XV used something similar to the Kakarot system for their AI.
Playing Xenovoerse on PS4
PSN Tag: Dualist721

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:44 pm

dualist wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:47 pm
Bardock God of Time wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:34 pm I just got whiplash from how annoying the Expert Missions were after the 10th mission.

The trash AI is what makes it impossible to beat missions without the help of actual players. I wish XV used something similar to the Kakarot system for their AI.
I was able to complete Missions 11-14, 16 and 17 offline. For Mission 11 Supervillain Golden Frieza is good because he has his Emperor's Death Beam and Darkness Mixer can stun the Ultra Instinct like enemies.

I used Ultra Instinct Goku for the Expert Mission that had a bunch of random characters and then Mira at the end, Goku's Spirit Charge is pretty fast, way faster than Maximum Charge.

Mission 15 is just... :crazy:

I had to do that Mission online but luckily I found an online lobby within a few minutes of searching. Failed the first time but got it done the second attempt. I thought the mission ended at Janemba, you should've saw my reaction when Mira pops out and when Janemba sent everyone into the different Rifts - I was the only one left to fight Janemba, I almost died - it was intense. I hate that you can't use items in these quests.

SSB Vegeta and SSB Goku's Expert Missions were the easiest Expert Missions because they don't have any OP moves or dumb mechanics.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:01 am

Apparently, Hakaishin Toppo is coming

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:09 am

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:01 am Apparently, Hakaishin Toppo is coming
Finally, he should've made it a lot earlier. I assume he'll be part of the same pack as Pikkon. Considering these DLCs release in packs of 4s or 2s, I expect at least one more to follow this one, which could be:

Missing 2nd form pack:
2nd Form Freeza
Semi-Perfect Cell
Buutenks

Android pack:
Mecha Freeza
Android #19
Dr. Gero.

Movie pack:
Garlic Jr.
Super android #13
Bojack's transformation

I can definitely see this game releasing on next gen with all the DLC and updates.

Gogeta SSJ Blue
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta SSJ Blue » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:14 pm

That is at the same interesting and a little bit unexpected for me at least.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:22 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:09 am
Finally, he should've made it a lot earlier. I assume he'll be part of the same pack as Pikkon. Considering these DLCs release in packs of 4s or 2s, I expect at least one more to follow this one, which could be:

Missing 2nd form pack:
2nd Form Freeza
Semi-Perfect Cell
Buutenks

Android pack:
Mecha Freeza
Android #19
Dr. Gero.

Movie pack:
Garlic Jr.
Super android #13
Bojack's transformation

I can definitely see this game releasing on next gen with all the DLC and updates.
Is it paid DLC then?

Gogeta SSJ Blue
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta SSJ Blue » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:32 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:22 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:09 am

Missing 2nd form pack:
2nd Form Freeza
Semi-Perfect Cell
Buutenks

Android pack:
Mecha Freeza
Android #19
Dr. Gero.

Movie pack:
Garlic Jr.
Super android #13
Bojack's transformation

Is it paid DLC then?
This next one I hope it is only a free update...

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:55 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:22 pmIs it paid DLC then?
It probably will be.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:18 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:55 pm
It probably will be.
Hmm... Spent so much money on this game, that I will probably pass. Will just be two character for a price of full digital game in discount, that will give me like 5 minutes of fun until the game will piss me off again :lol:

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:24 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:18 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:55 pm
It probably will be.
Hmm... Spent so much money on this game, that I will probably pass. Will just be two character for a price of full digital game in discount, that will give me like 5 minutes of fun until the game will piss me off again :lol:
At the very least it sounds like there'll be a mission with a cutscene like you could do with Majuub if you gave him a gift.

Can that cutscene please be a Xenoverse 3 teaser? :lol: