"Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2" Official Discussion Thread

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon May 10, 2021 4:13 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:39 pm
ZombieVito wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:31 pm So is a XV3 even possible?

It's been so long since 2 released.
The fact that they’re apparently still doing DLCs for this game would seem to suggest that they haven’t even started working on a third one.
that's a really scary thought. Not saying it is/isn't true, but if that's how it is then I'm not sure I even want a Xenoverse 3. Especially after how underwhelming this DLC was.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon May 10, 2021 8:24 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:39 pm
ZombieVito wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:31 pm So is a XV3 even possible?

It's been so long since 2 released.
The fact that they’re apparently still doing DLCs for this game would seem to suggest that they haven’t even started working on a third one.
On the contrary, I think the excessive DLCs are proof of how valuable the series is to them. It makes money, so they're not going to let it die. I'd bet at least some of the DLCs are content originally made for the sequel. And now that we have a new console generation, it only makes sense to make a new game with its own set of DLC.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue May 11, 2021 8:26 am

Thanos wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:59 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:41 pm Do the off-modeled characters bother anyone else?
100%. Vegeta is the worst offender. He looked bad in Raging Blast, but this is somehow worse. I don’t know why his head is apparently so difficult to model but he looks nothing like the character.
What I really don't like is Vegeta's schlong spot in Xenoverse, it looks somehow weird, as in anime and other games, it is usually flat.
Really weird design choice.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Wed May 12, 2021 6:02 am

Wait, is Chaozu really not playable in Xenoverse yet? Why the frick did I think he was? Also: why isn't he?
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Wed May 12, 2021 2:24 pm

Xenoverse still uses that PS3 engine, right? Do they need a new one or something so it's compatible with the next-gens?

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu May 13, 2021 3:59 pm

The S wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:02 am Wait, is Chaozu really not playable in Xenoverse yet? Why the frick did I think he was? Also: why isn't he?
Funny, because even Appule and Cranberry made it into the game

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu May 13, 2021 8:25 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:59 pm
The S wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:02 am Wait, is Chaozu really not playable in Xenoverse yet? Why the frick did I think he was? Also: why isn't he?
Funny, because even Appule and Cranberry made it into the game
I'd argue Appule and Cranberry are more important to this game than Chiaotzu would have been. What role would Chiaotzu play in this? Blow himself up ineffectly, then play cheerleader for the rest of the game? Appule and Cranberry serve as fodder for the player. They're only playable because...well, why not? If they work as NPCs, there's no reason to lock them.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri May 14, 2021 6:04 am

his outfit is, his moves are (mostly tens plus TK ones) his souls are. He's mentioned, there's a little mascot thing of him...
But he's not actually a character, which is fucking bs, given they have all kinds of filler bullshit.

I'm hoping because he's back in the moro arc that he'll be in XV3.

#justiceforchaozu
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat May 15, 2021 6:04 am

Frankly, I don't even miss Chaozu... why? He will be just cannon fodder as the rest of the NPC characters are. Besides the main heroes (with many story mode useless forms) and villains, the rest of the roster is obsolete in versus mode and online.

He made sense in game like Raging Blast or hell, even in Sparking! where even though, there were power scales and Kiwi was weaker than Vegeta, but you could still defeat him one on one. In Xenoverse, AI is crap and versus unplayable. Only mode that makes sense to play is story mode and parallel quests.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat May 15, 2021 4:06 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:04 am Frankly, I don't even miss Chaozu... why? He will be just cannon fodder as the rest of the NPC characters are. Besides the main heroes (with many story mode useless forms) and villains, the rest of the roster is obsolete in versus mode and online.
TobyS wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:04 am his outfit is, his moves are (mostly tens plus TK ones) his souls are. He's mentioned, there's a little mascot thing of him...
But he's not actually a character, which is fucking bs, given they have all kinds of filler bullshit.
MCDaveG wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:04 am Frankly, I don't even miss Chaozu... why? He will be just cannon fodder as the rest of the NPC characters are. Besides the main heroes (with many story mode useless forms) and villains, the rest of the roster is obsolete in versus mode and online.
He made sense in game like Raging Blast or hell, even in Sparking! where even though, there were power scales and Kiwi was weaker than Vegeta, but you could still defeat him one on one. In Xenoverse, AI is crap and versus unplayable. Only mode that makes sense to play is story mode and parallel quests.
Now this is where a game like Xenoverse is supposed to come in handy. It writes its own story (a story that revolves around crazy alternate timelines) so there should be no reason why Chiaotzu or even Appule and Cranberry can't learn any new techniques or have interesting stories the player might want to be a part of.

Unfortunately the developers seem content with slapping some purple auras on our enemies and calling it a day.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:49 am

Scsigs wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:13 am
Yuli Ban wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:42 am But the game was rushed all around. The American dub of these games is irrelevant to that; it's always the same case of the voice actors coming in, half-heartedly reenacting events from the show. It's inevitable when these titles have to come out yearly.
Wait, what? How are ANY of the game dubs from the last decade & change half-hearted? I can understand if a voice or 2 is miscast, or there's an awkward or unfitting line read here or there because Bandai Namco don't give the cutscenes to Sabat to get as best of voice direction as possible, but I genuinely don't think there's a single half-hearted performance from the returning actors on the whole.
Late response, but...

I suppose it is very subjective, but as someone who already feels the OG dub is pretty lackluster to begin with, the video games have for years come across as "the VAs coming in to reenact a truncated version of the show for people who already know what happens."

To put it in a bitchy passive-aggressive way: for as long as I've played DB games, the voice acting in the games felt exactly on par with the original Funimation dub. At its best, it's closer to Kai or allowed the VAs to correct bad takes for the record. At best.
I never expected anything more, though.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:22 am

Yuli Ban wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:49 am Late response, but...

I suppose it is very subjective, but as someone who already feels the OG dub is pretty lackluster to begin with, the video games have for years come across as "the VAs coming in to reenact a truncated version of the show for people who already know what happens."

To put it in a bitchy passive-aggressive way: for as long as I've played DB games, the voice acting in the games felt exactly on par with the original Funimation dub. At its best, it's closer to Kai or allowed the VAs to correct bad takes for the record. At best.
I never expected anything more, though.
The early games, I can see that with. My experience with the Budokai trilogy, Sagas, & Tenkaichi 3's English voice acting allows me to see what you're saying, though the games always have translations & scripts closer to the Japanese audio, so it's mostly in the acting & direction. However, a bit before Kai even, some of the games started having better quality to them. After Kai, though, the game dubs have been pretty good & spot-on for what I expect at this point. The only thing that can let the performances down is if they just give the scripts without the cinematics to dub over & just tell the to match the timings of the Japanese cast, which can sometimes lead to disparities in performances VS the cinematics. Other than those, though, I don't know. Most of the cast pull performances I very much expect at this point, which I credit to how well they know the material & their characters, as well as Sabat's consistent direction. I don't think many of the performances are mind-blowing, but they're what I expect & good, which is all that's needed. It's certainly not poor, but I don't know why you'd expect anything better.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:58 pm

Yuli Ban wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:49 am I suppose it is very subjective, but as someone who already feels the OG dub is pretty lackluster to begin with, the video games have for years come across as "the VAs coming in to reenact a truncated version of the show for people who already know what happens."
To be fair, and I very rarely defend the dub, but think of how many times Schemmel has delivered the same identical lines with slight variation over the past 20+ years. I think Nozawa is a slight exception because it's clear she is delighted by every second she has a chance to portray her characters.

Also, I think FUNimation is nervous to deviate too much from the original dub, because they think that's what normies want. Don't the games still use "Hercule" in English? I remember a lot of the early Kai English voices being vastly improved over the original dub, but they started to move more toward the absurd original dub style (as well as going back to the original dub for technique names such as "Destructo Disc" or "Spirit Bomb") because apparently FUNimation got cold feet, but it kind of defeated the purpose of Kai to begin with in the West when it hadn't even been that long since the original Z dub had finished. Around the time of Raging Blast, they were burdened with ineviable task of balancing their absurd, Speed Racer-tier original dub that a lot of American normies like with the new, more serious and source material-accurate Kai dub for the video games. It's kind of funny how many times they've dug themselves into holes of their own creation. Cell's voice discrepancy in the early games comes to mind.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:29 pm

Thanos wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:58 pm
Yuli Ban wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:49 am I suppose it is very subjective, but as someone who already feels the OG dub is pretty lackluster to begin with, the video games have for years come across as "the VAs coming in to reenact a truncated version of the show for people who already know what happens."
To be fair, and I very rarely defend the dub, but think of how many times Schemmel has delivered the same identical lines with slight variation over the past 20+ years. I think Nozawa is a slight exception because it's clear she is delighted by every second she has a chance to portray her characters.

Also, I think FUNimation is nervous to deviate too much from the original dub, because they think that's what normies want. Don't the games still use "Hercule" in English? I remember a lot of the early Kai English voices being vastly improved over the original dub, but they started to move more toward the absurd original dub style (as well as going back to the original dub for technique names such as "Destructo Disc" or "Spirit Bomb") because apparently FUNimation got cold feet, but it kind of defeated the purpose of Kai to begin with in the West when it hadn't even been that long since the original Z dub had finished. Around the time of Raging Blast, they were burdened with ineviable task of balancing their absurd, Speed Racer-tier original dub that a lot of American normies like with the new, more serious and source material-accurate Kai dub for the video games. It's kind of funny how many times they've dug themselves into holes of their own creation. Cell's voice discrepancy in the early games comes to mind.
I know 100%. I've talked exactly about this massive hole they dug a few times before, especially in that one thread from a while back about fans of Kung Fu Space Jesus needing some time adjusting to who Son Goku was really supposed to be once Super started airing. Not that Super Goku is the best showing of his character, but the gist is that Funimation lucked out back in the 1990s because Dragon Ball was over. Completely. AF rumors be damned. Saban/Funi didn't have to worry at all about not being faithful to the source material because there was zero threat of new material coming along that contradicted what they'd make.

Sure, if Funimation were still of that mindset and only started dubbing Super now, they'd probably be able to do the same thing to the show that they did to Z, but the nature of anime consumption has changed. People were already super aware (no pun intended) of how Goku was being depicted as the series was airing so there was nothing Funimation could do to whitewash him this time. If not for Kai affording them that saving throw, I can only imagine how brutal of a whiplash it would've been going from "Kung Fu Space Jesus" to "Drunken Master-era Jackie Chan with superpowers". And it was still apparently brutal because so many people did their YouTube videos all but saying "#NotMyGoku" and "What happened to the Hope of the Universe?"
The Yabanverse

SuperSunnyDee

Post by SuperSunnyDee » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:24 pm

I booted up the game for the first time in months. They made some neat changes.

But did they seriously add mascots and color changing to the official characters before you could change the colors of the outfits your own character can wear? Some of these decisions seem backwards and frustrating. Am I alone on this?

RashFaustinho

Post by RashFaustinho » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:16 am

SuperSunnyDee wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:24 pm I booted up the game for the first time in months. They made some neat changes.

But did they seriously add mascots and color changing to the official characters before you could change the colors of the outfits your own character can wear? Some of these decisions seem backwards and frustrating. Am I alone on this?
Mascots are the epitome of useless, because they get rid of your veichle. I much rather keep my fast Mercenary Tao Pillar rather than having a mini-Veku that follows my charatacer and has no practical utility.

As for the color change feature on normal characters, it is not that well made. Just look at 16, no matter how many colors you change, he will still have green parts in his armor.
The CAC can change colors to its clothes, it's just that only a small percentage of clothing allow this.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:50 pm

Wouldn't it be funny if, instead of Xenoverse 3, we got something like "Xenoverse Ultra-Remix" that is technically XV3 in all but name but is really tryng to redo XV1 and 2? If that sounds redundant, remember we're talking about the modern video games industry.
The Yabanverse

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:34 pm

Yuli Ban wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:50 pm Wouldn't it be funny if, instead of Xenoverse 3, we got something like "Xenoverse Ultra-Remix" that is technically XV3 in all but name but is really tryng to redo XV1 and 2? If that sounds redundant, remember we're talking about the modern video games industry.
I mean they have a power scaling problem with CaC1 and 2 both being op.

You either have to treat them as a newb again or make a new character that can inexplicably also surpass them or have them solve everything.

A reboot would be good if we could get blue haired trunks's all round and align the game to the manga and not the anime.

They really need to be more ambitious with the unused canon timelines or a new timeline where it's like the Fuu missions where you can genuinely change things.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:43 pm

TobyS wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:34 pmI mean they have a power scaling problem with CaC1 and 2 both being op.
They could establish early on that the two previous CaC died somehow.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:46 pm

Yuji wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:43 pm
TobyS wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:34 pmI mean they have a power scaling problem with CaC1 and 2 both being op.
They could establish early on that the two previous CaC died somehow.
Which means the new character has to get stronger than both of them put together and then the dude who killed them... Same problem imo.