"Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Yuli Ban » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:15 pm

Prediction: we are going to see one last free update and DLC pack for Xenoverse 2 some time next year that will cover the Tournament of Power and conceivably give us Toppo and either Caulifla + Kale or Aniraza + Ribrianne, and after that will be Xenoverse 3. It will likely release almost exactly three years after Xenoverse 2 (and on that note, good gosh, the Xenoverse series is going on 4 years old).

I'm pleasantly surprised by how well Xenoverse 2 has been supported. Considering I feel it is what the original always should have been, I have no regrets that Dimps completely dropped Xenoverse 1. By that same token, one can imagine that everything about Xenoverse 2 is essentially just extra development for Xenoverse 1. Hence why I and so many others feel they need to bring their A game for Xenoverse 3. Despite it being functionally sound and as frenetic as I'd want a Dragon Ball game to be, the game still leaves a lot to be desired and is inferior to even Budokai Tenkaichi 3 and Raging Blast 2 in a lot of ways.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:27 pm

Got the update and just had to do the old vs new Broly match and... Holy hell does old Broly's model look like a joke compared to the new one. I hope he and a lot of the others get updated models for XV3, though that might take away from getting more new characters, which I am torn on.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:37 pm

I still don't plan on getting these DLC's. If people are correct and they're just going to be in the next game, why spend enough for a whole new game on content that only amounts to a fraction of a game? I really don't want to keep throwing money at companies so they can continue these practices. I know some characters weren't part of the series yet when Xenoverse 2 launched, but $8+tax for two characters and some outfits is too much. Especially when you're a Console player.

If I ever do get it, it'll only be if I decide to just buckle down and get the game on PC. At least then the cost would be justifiable and worth it, more due to the modding community. They've given us dozens of new characters and models and outfits and skills and transformations. It's just that these companies treat these games like they're MMO's when they lack all the major elements of them. And when an MMO gives an expansion, there's considerably more content. Sure, XV2 doesn't have a monthly fee. But neither do some MMO's. But Sony and Microsoft do charge you to use their online service, so you're still paying for it anyway.

Honestly, I would really rather just see that they're working on a third game than just keeping XV2 on life-support without overhauling the system. I will say the image capture bit in the new DLC does look appealing, but that seems like something we should've gotten for free, seeing as it's just a bit of a gimmick and doesn't actually affect gameplay at all, nor improve the battle system.

There's still just so much missing from the game that I can't keep invested in it. Keeping the limit of CaC's to 8 characters is still too small and forcing players through the tutorial story with every CaC is dull without any reward at all. Even the NPC that lets you pay to level is utterly pointless since getting from 1-80 doesn't take that much time or effort, and getting past that hurdle just requires getting the dragonballs over and over again, as opposed to spending your TP medals which you now absolutely need for the Hero Coliseum and Gifts and special outfits. While getting TP medals isn't challenging, it is tedious and boring.

I know I tend to rag on the game a fair bit, but I just can't look past it's numerous flaws and the numerous failings of Bandai-Namco in how the game has come out and what's become of it. I want to see them do better with this, but every time I look, it just feels like they're trying to distract the players with something shiny in order to avoid the problems that've been present since the beginning. I won't say they haven't improved the game in some ways, but it pales next to what the modding community has done.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:06 am

25 replays later to get all of Broly's clothes on the mission and...kinda bummed with how they did the outfit.

I was hoping the pants and fur pelt was on the same Lower Body so I can put a shirt and other things on the Upper Body, but the fur is solely dedicated to the Upper Body. Not too fond of being shirtless lol
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:14 am

Logania wrote:25 replays later to get all of Broly's clothes on the mission and...kinda bummed with how they did the outfit.

I was hoping the pants and fur pelt was on the same Lower Body so I can put a shirt and other things on the Upper Body, but the fur is solely dedicated to the Upper Body. Not too fond of being shirtless lol
Yeah that is a bit of a strange choice, old brolys pelt like thing was all lower body. Oh well I'll still go for it, only have the arms so far :(

I finally got to be the boss in a crystal raid and man was it fun. All I got from it was merged zamasus shoes... but winning on my last health bar was a rush. I highly recommend Bojacks barrier move that can expand 4 times as a Super, as you have Super Armour it's a very easy way to get people off you.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:06 am

Zelvin wrote:I know I tend to rag on the game a fair bit, but I just can't look past it's numerous flaws and the numerous failings of Bandai-Namco in how the game has come out and what's become of it. I want to see them do better with this, but every time I look, it just feels like they're trying to distract the players with something shiny in order to avoid the problems that've been present since the beginning. I won't say they haven't improved the game in some ways, but it pales next to what the modding community has done.
Hard to take the post seriously when the majority of your posts (Though to be honest, almost all of your posts in this thread are almost the exact same post) are based in misinformation and misunderstanding of how the gaming industry, games, Xenoverse in particular, and the modding community work. All with an inability to distinguish between something you don't like and something fundamentally wrong with the game capped off with a tone of 'If you don't agree with me, you're just blind'.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:50 pm

I actually didn't like the skip function in Hero Colosseum. Some characters activate skills after attacking the opponent and when you press the button to continue, it appears a message to skip the battle. I don't want to skip anything. Also, there is a weird glitch in the Spirit Bomb charging part, suddenly the percentage goes nuts and returns to normal.

If there is a way to remove it, I'd like to know how.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:42 pm

Zelvin wrote:I still don't plan on getting these DLC's. If people are correct and they're just going to be in the next game, why spend enough for a whole new game on content that only amounts to a fraction of a game? I really don't want to keep throwing money at companies so they can continue these practices. I know some characters weren't part of the series yet when Xenoverse 2 launched, but $8+tax for two characters and some outfits is too much. Especially when you're a Console player.

If I ever do get it, it'll only be if I decide to just buckle down and get the game on PC. At least then the cost would be justifiable and worth it, more due to the modding community. They've given us dozens of new characters and models and outfits and skills and transformations. It's just that these companies treat these games like they're MMO's when they lack all the major elements of them. And when an MMO gives an expansion, there's considerably more content. Sure, XV2 doesn't have a monthly fee. But neither do some MMO's. But Sony and Microsoft do charge you to use their online service, so you're still paying for it anyway.

Honestly, I would really rather just see that they're working on a third game than just keeping XV2 on life-support without overhauling the system. I will say the image capture bit in the new DLC does look appealing, but that seems like something we should've gotten for free, seeing as it's just a bit of a gimmick and doesn't actually affect gameplay at all, nor improve the battle system.

There's still just so much missing from the game that I can't keep invested in it. Keeping the limit of CaC's to 8 characters is still too small and forcing players through the tutorial story with every CaC is dull without any reward at all. Even the NPC that lets you pay to level is utterly pointless since getting from 1-80 doesn't take that much time or effort, and getting past that hurdle just requires getting the dragonballs over and over again, as opposed to spending your TP medals which you now absolutely need for the Hero Coliseum and Gifts and special outfits. While getting TP medals isn't challenging, it is tedious and boring.

I know I tend to rag on the game a fair bit, but I just can't look past it's numerous flaws and the numerous failings of Bandai-Namco in how the game has come out and what's become of it. I want to see them do better with this, but every time I look, it just feels like they're trying to distract the players with something shiny in order to avoid the problems that've been present since the beginning. I won't say they haven't improved the game in some ways, but it pales next to what the modding community has done.
Breaking this down:
I agree on the price point: the only DLC that actually should have been $10 were the ones that added new bits of story missions and the Hero Coliseum. The stuff that just adds characters, outfits, skills, and PQs doesn't warrant that much money when you can get the entire game new for $30.
However, the original function for DLC before it was horribly distorted by greed was to take the place of things like expansion packs and entire new games in series where changes between titles weren't great. In Dragon Ball's case, DLC in the Super era makes more sense than it ever did before for the very reason you mentioned— the game was released in 2016, and the anime was going to continue for another two years (if you include the Broly movie). Adding new characters to a licensed game in an active series is one of those "legitimate" reasons for DLC, one of the few times gamers can actually support the practice. These characters weren't locked onto the disc since they flat-out didn't exist when the game was released. Same thing for extra stages and skills. Using DLC for this purpose is a good thing. That they were greedy enough to charge people a sizable chunk of the full game's price for two characters at a time isn't what I'm in support of. But it makes them money, so they're going to keep doing it.

As for the complaints about how the game actually plays, well that's a different problem entirely. The game engine itself doesn't seem to be very finely tuned for that much better feeling we had with the Tenkaichi/Sparking series, and no amount of DLC can change that. That's why I pointed out that it's been over two years since Xenoverse 2 came out, and considering that the game itself is little more than an expansion pack for Xenoverse 1, I wouldn't be surprised if they're rebuilding the thing from the ground up for Xenoverse 3. That way, they can actually fix the pathetic battle system. If they tried to do this with XV2 through DLC, they'd probably just render it unplayable by accident. It's one reason why even mods haven't been able to really "fix" XV1 or 2; you'd need to give the whole thing a new skeleton, not apply prettier make-up. The bad battle system is partially the fault of employing Dimps to make the game, as they usually focus on 2D titles.

As for why one would spend money on these characters if they're just going to be in the next game, that has a few answers as well:
1: some might not get Xenoverse 3 if it's not much more of an upgrade than Xenoverse 2 was. Even if it is an upgrade, some might still wind up with XV2 or even XV1.
2: if there is a sizable graphical and engine change (such as moving the design over to one reflecting FighterZ's graphics), there might actually be fewer characters in the game. The reason why we went from 190 characters in Tenkaichi 3 to less than 80 in Raging Blast is because they didn't have all the models at the time.
3: Namco Bandai can judge which characters to give priority if they do have to trim the character count. If a certain DLC pack containing certain characters doesn't sell well, "that means players don't want A + B as much as Y + Z so we shouldn't waste our precious, precious money on them." Out A + B go.

While PC is indeed the Master Race in just about all scenarios, I can at least understand where they're coming from.

Of course, it's always possible that they'll drop all pretensions and announce Xenoverse 3 really will be an MMO that'll replace Dragon Ball Online.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:21 pm

Yuli Ban wrote:
Zelvin wrote:I still don't plan on getting these DLC's. If people are correct and they're just going to be in the next game, why spend enough for a whole new game on content that only amounts to a fraction of a game? I really don't want to keep throwing money at companies so they can continue these practices. I know some characters weren't part of the series yet when Xenoverse 2 launched, but $8+tax for two characters and some outfits is too much. Especially when you're a Console player.

Breaking this down:
I agree on the price point: the only DLC that actually should have been $10 were the ones that added new bits of story missions and the Hero Coliseum. The stuff that just adds characters, outfits, skills, and PQs doesn't warrant that much money when you can get the entire game new for $30.
However, the original function for DLC before it was horribly distorted by greed was to take the place of things like expansion packs and entire new games in series where changes between titles weren't great. In Dragon Ball's case, DLC in the Super era makes more sense than it ever did before for the very reason you mentioned— the game was released in 2016, and the anime was going to continue for another two years (if you include the Broly movie). Adding new characters to a licensed game in an active series is one of those "legitimate" reasons for DLC, one of the few times gamers can actually support the practice. These characters weren't locked onto the disc since they flat-out didn't exist when the game was released. Same thing for extra stages and skills. Using DLC for this purpose is a good thing. That they were greedy enough to charge people a sizable chunk of the full game's price for two characters at a time isn't what I'm in support of. But it makes them money, so they're going to keep doing it.

As for the complaints about how the game actually plays, well that's a different problem entirely. The game engine itself doesn't seem to be very finely tuned for that much better feeling we had with the Tenkaichi/Sparking series, and no amount of DLC can change that. That's why I pointed out that it's been over two years since Xenoverse 2 came out, and considering that the game itself is little more than an expansion pack for Xenoverse 1, I wouldn't be surprised if they're rebuilding the thing from the ground up for Xenoverse 3. That way, they can actually fix the pathetic battle system. If they tried to do this with XV2 through DLC, they'd probably just render it unplayable by accident. It's one reason why even mods haven't been able to really "fix" XV1 or 2; you'd need to give the whole thing a new skeleton, not apply prettier make-up. The bad battle system is partially the fault of employing Dimps to make the game, as they usually focus on 2D titles.

As for why one would spend money on these characters if they're just going to be in the next game, that has a few answers as well:
1: some might not get Xenoverse 3 if it's not much more of an upgrade than Xenoverse 2 was. Even if it is an upgrade, some might still wind up with XV2 or even XV1.
2: if there is a sizable graphical and engine change (such as moving the design over to one reflecting FighterZ's graphics), there might actually be fewer characters in the game. The reason why we went from 190 characters in Tenkaichi 3 to less than 80 in Raging Blast is because they didn't have all the models at the time.
3: Namco Bandai can judge which characters to give priority if they do have to trim the character count. If a certain DLC pack containing certain characters doesn't sell well, "that means players don't want A + B as much as Y + Z so we shouldn't waste our precious, precious money on them." Out A + B go.

While PC is indeed the Master Race in just about all scenarios, I can at least understand where they're coming from.

Of course, it's always possible that they'll drop all pretensions and announce Xenoverse 3 really will be an MMO that'll replace Dragon Ball Online.
Yeah I'm definitely feeling the wear on this engine now. I think the most frustrating thing, silly enough, is that little flip cpu's do when they've taken too much damage to just auto escape a combo, I get it's neccessary in a way just wish there was an alternative. A lot of PQs for me have just become spam big bang kamehameha with saiyan as it's the quickest and safest way to rack up damage.

They really need to tighten it up, I feel the way the new Broly plays is somehow a step in the right direction, he just feels really tight and snappy for lack of better terms. This is a decent engine right up there with Tenkaichi and Raging Blast, we just need a bit more variety especially in terms of defense.

I'd love to see some type of Sonic Sway from Budokai 3 come back.
I'd like a way to sacrifice stamina to stop me from flying back in an instant.
I'd like hits to connect better and look more natural, nothing break suspension of disbelief like hitting the air and having my opponent go soaring. (apart from maybe all the names on the UI, really hope an option to get rid of them is in XV3 it would improve the game immensely for me in terms of immersion)
I'd like beam struggles to be possible with your team mates joining in.
And this really isn't fighting engine related but I'd like money to mean more, maybe being able to buy items that can increase drop rates or stuff like that. Make grinding more fun/tolerable.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:28 pm

Can I have a moment to talk about how AWESOME it is to be the boss in Raid Crystal!? :D Like, I don't even have words to perfectly describe how fun and awesome it is, especially if you have all the bosses techniques at your disposal. You feel like a god! :D Using Peeler Storm (that blue spinning gear) is incredible and you can easily kill the others with it and with the Marbling Ball.

Oh, yeah, the gifts are available at the TP Medal Shop, by the way. Playing as Merged Zamasu is not that cool but Demigra is, his Ultimate Skill is amazing as well. :thumbup: I haven't played as Mira because I'm still overly excited about being the boss. :P

Also, Fu mentions his father for the first time. I couldn't take a screenshot because I actually skipped it but he mentions him. Speaking of that, hopefully Heroes or XV3 don't take too long to reunite him with his family.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:46 pm

Grimlock wrote:Can I have a moment to talk about how AWESOME it is to be the boss in Raid Crystal!? :D Like, I don't even have words to perfectly describe how fun and awesome it is, especially if you have all the bosses techniques at your disposal. You feel like a god! :D Using Peeler Storm (that blue spinning gear) is incredible and you can easily kill the others with it and with the Marbling Ball.

Oh, yeah, the gifts are available at the TP Medal Shop, by the way. Playing as Merged Zamasu is not that cool but Demigra is, his Ultimate Skill is amazing as well. :thumbup: I haven't played as Mira because I'm still overly excited about being the boss. :P

Also, Fu mentions his father for the first time. I couldn't take a screenshot because I actually skipped it but he mentions him. Speaking of that, hopefully Heroes or XV3 don't take too long to reunite him with his family.
I hope World Mission adds support conversations or something for certain characters...

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

Majin Demigra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Demigra » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:14 pm

Is Demigra only speaking in Japanese for anyone else?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:34 pm

Kanassa wrote:I hope World Mission adds support conversations or something for certain characters...
Yeah, that would be nice.
Majin Demigra wrote:Is Demigra only speaking in Japanese for anyone else?
He is not even speaking for me, actually neither him, Mira nor Merged Zamasu. I play Xenoverse in Japanese. I thought they would have pre-battle dialogues.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Daiko_Osaiyajin

Post by Daiko_Osaiyajin » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:00 am

Hey Guys,

Does it have a chance to announce the XV3 at JUMP FESTA?

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:06 am

Daiko_Osaiyajin wrote:Does it have a chance to announce the XV3 at JUMP FESTA?
Would they announce it within the same month as 2's latest DLC's launch?

Kanassa wrote:

Daiko_Osaiyajin

Post by Daiko_Osaiyajin » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:11 am

Kanassa wrote:
Daiko_Osaiyajin wrote:Does it have a chance to announce the XV3 at JUMP FESTA?
Would they announce it within the same month as 2's latest DLC's launch?

It would be really risky, but not impossible. :lol:

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:35 am

Majin Demigra wrote:Is Demigra only speaking in Japanese for anyone else?
It happened to me this morning too.

Btw dimps should let us play these characters in a normal 1 vs 1 and not only in the new mode/training. It' reallly stupid.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:00 pm

Daiko_Osaiyajin wrote:It would be really risky, but not impossible. :lol:
It depends on how it's done. If the game is announced, but is still several months away, a DLC could be used to entertain us while we wait. They could offer some sort of reward for players who get the DLC, after transfering their data to XV3. Like maybe Mecha Frieza or base form Broly.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:44 pm

Does canon Broly outfit have gloves?
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:24 pm

Yuli Ban wrote:
Zelvin wrote:*snips*
I’m just gonna go ahead and wholeheartedly agree with everything said here. I’ve expressed my numerous problems with XV2 in the best so I’m really hoping Dimps will step yo their game a lot for the inevitable XV3