"Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Grimlock » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:59 pm

So it seems they'll adapt Movie 1 too? Or just the fight between Gogeta and Broly, doubt they would adapt the whole movie.

Hopefully they change or add something to it.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:43 am

https://twitter.com/DbsHype1/status/1423459874831171591

Possibilities:

- gogeta base + ssj as a new character (i'd like to see something different)
- Broly movie adaption
- Veku?
- fusion awoken

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:54 am

Shit, they went through so much of their budget, they've had to resort to visual novel format for cutscenes.

Also, seems that was only part of the full trailer: https://twitter.com/PdeF1102/status/1423460406148931587
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:29 am

SS Broly should be it, he was the one that forced the fusion. We have SS Gogeta already, and including his base form would be a waste.

Base/Ikari Broly that can turn SS would be perfect.

Or... maybe if you have Goku and Vegeta selected, you can fuse them?

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisteryOne » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:16 am

Assuming this teaser is on the same pack as Jiren, seems like a golden oportunity to have a time distortion with Jiren fighting Broly or Gogeta. But they may just ignore it.

While I don't play XV2 anymore I'm still curious abput how the story will go. I wonder if they will try hard to differenciate between Fu's incarnation here compared to his more crazy-scientist-esque persona from Heroes. I suppose we won't get anything truly groubdbreaking until the eventual XV3, but who knows.
English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:47 am

Kanassa wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:54 am Shit, they went through so much of their budget, they've had to resort to visual novel format for cutscenes.

Also, seems that was only part of the full trailer: https://twitter.com/PdeF1102/status/1423460406148931587
I like the visual novel format.
I mean, it's fine to use the CGI for the most important cutscenes, but for those "less important parts" i don't mind using it.

I hope to see ss3/god Trunks at this point.
He still have only ss2... In the manga he has a better role/attention.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:33 pm

I think Veku is a huge possibilty because Goku & Vegeta aren't in sync.

Maybe Fu makes them screw up fusion but also gives Veku an insane power boost.

Super Saiyan Blue Veku? :lol:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:05 pm

They should do another GT DLC pack for the game. I know the first game did, but that was a while ago.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:17 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:05 pm They should do another GT DLC pack for the game. I know the first game did, but that was a while ago.
Who would you add from GT?

My pick would be:

Vegeta
Rildo (more than one form, his second form was nice)
Vegeta Baby's previous forms/including Baby

Gohan with glasses
Goten
Redic or Lejic or whatever his name was

That Mutchy Motchi whip
Ruudo

To be fair, I would really like a new stage from GT, from some weird planet, or the sick Earth from the final saga.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:38 pm

GT Pack 1:
Base Rildo
GT Goten

GT Pack 2:
Metal Rildo
Baby (Teen)

GT Pack 3:
Er Xing Long (Haze Shenron)
Liu Xing Long (Oceanus Shenron)

For story mode ideas, they can have Freeza turn into Golden Freeza in Hell against Goku.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:26 pm

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:10 pm

But... SS Gogeta is already in the game lol.

If FighterZ has a million Goku's, XV2 has the same but with Gogeta.

Three Gogetas, two are just ss Gogeta

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:29 am

To get back to the subject of Xenoverse having Fighterz graphics, I guess it would not be possible to pull off.
If I'm not mistaken, Fighterz's devs handcrafts shadows and deformations, taking advantage of the fact that the camera is preset in a precise way at all times. And they take a lot of time precisely crafting every frame of every animation for each character, which means we only get a limited selection of characters (although this is also due to extremely distinct gameplay features for each character, but the heavy amount of work on graphics undoubtedly play a part in it too).

Xenoverse is based on full 3D gameplay with a free camera and lots of characters and variations being there or added in numerous packs (the roster is quite crowded now, to the point that it can even look messy). They would not be able to utilize the same "carefully crafted" technics as a game like Fighterz with those guidelines, you have to choose where to stand between the number of "units" (characters) and the amount of care and work you spend on every "unit".

But I do agree that - even though they can't match Fighterz due to the much larger roster and full 3D camera style -, there are probably a bunch of ways to make the overall graphic style and models more impressive and appealing, and I hope that's one of the things they work on for a third episode. Fighterz has set the bar so unexpectedly high that you want a game that can say "maybe we can't do that, but we can offer something that you'll find quite impressive and enjoyable too"!

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:50 am

Koitsukai wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:10 pm But... SS Gogeta is already in the game lol.

If FighterZ has a million Goku's, XV2 has the same but with Gogeta.

Three Gogetas, two are just ss Gogeta
Exactly

Take Gogeta Blu > change his hair > add a new ultimate > 15$

It's a shame.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:32 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:29 am But I do agree that - even though they can't match Fighterz due to the much larger roster and full 3D camera style -, there are probably a bunch of ways to make the overall graphic style and models more impressive and appealing, and I hope that's one of the things they work on for a third episode. Fighterz has set the bar so unexpectedly high that you want a game that can say "maybe we can't do that, but we can offer something that you'll find quite impressive and enjoyable too"!
The only way I can see them doing that is if they took the models from Legends and then improved them (not sure if importing them is possible), otherwise they would have to go in and revamp each model as well as improve the textures, the lighting, shading, etc. I'm not sure if it's something the fans really want like spiky hair for Super Saiyans so I don't knw how far Dimps would be willing to go. Most fans don't even recognize how bad the models look and just assume it's the "plastic" shading so I think it's pretty unlikely we'll be getting some big changes in the visuals unless Bandai or an executive personally sees to it.

Another concern I have is that we have no idea of telling how much the modelers/artists/etc have improved. Android 21 looks okay, but not really groundbreaking like she was in FighterZ, and she doesn't even look better than her Legends counterpart. It's kind of hard to tell with Pikkon and Toppo and it looks like they haven't improved Gogeta and Jiren at all for their upcoming DLC. I guess it doesn't really matter since they probably left a skeleton crew to take care of the remaining DLC.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:58 am

Well... at least this Gogeta has a new model, as opposed to the original SSJB Gogeta which was just original Gogeta with the Windows Paint bucket tool reskin. New Gogeta clearly has been using Rogaine because his hairline is much lower than the old school one.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:01 pm

How far would the Xenoverse devs go with making the next game look better? I'm not a developer so I don't know how much time and money gets put into making a game look good, but I'm worried they won't put any extra effort into making the visuals amazing or standard-setting like FighterZ was and instead just opt for making the characters "cleaner" like with SDBH.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:57 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:01 pm How far would the Xenoverse devs go with making the next game look better? I'm not a developer so I don't know how much time and money gets put into making a game look good, but I'm worried they won't put any extra effort into making the visuals amazing or standard-setting like FighterZ was and instead just opt for making the characters "cleaner" like with SDBH.
I'm as clueless as you, but I think they ought to. The game came out in 2016, so at the very least XV3 will come out 6 years later and for PS5. We have no news yet, so maybe 2023 will be the year, 7 years later. I doubt they won't improve it, at least to be a decent PS5 game.

If it's XV 2.5 then who's buying it? I certainly wouldn't, I'll move to PC and enjoy the mod community before making the same mistake twice.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:01 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:01 pm How far would the Xenoverse devs go with making the next game look better?
I think it’s a given. Remember, Xenoverse 2 is built off PS3 technology (the first game released on PS3 and the two games look the same) and it wouldn’t make sense to go 5+ years and two generations without a visual overhaul. I don’t think the graphics engine for that game really meets the basic standard for graphical fidelity in 2021, or 2022 and possibly beyond at this rate.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:40 pm

Thanos wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:01 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:01 pm How far would the Xenoverse devs go with making the next game look better?
I think it’s a given. Remember, Xenoverse 2 is built off PS3 technology (the first game released on PS3 and the two games look the same) and it wouldn’t make sense to go 5+ years and two generations without a visual overhaul. I don’t think the graphics engine for that game really meets the basic standard for graphical fidelity in 2021, or 2022 and possibly beyond at this rate.
I wouldn't be surprised if Bandai Namco have them build XV3 on UE4 or 5 or something.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs