"Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:10 pm

I never understood why when after beating an enemy, they introduced a villanous enemy, which is the same dude but with purple eyes, purple aura and berseker, instead of having the next iteration of the same character in the main continuity, i.e: villanous Kid Buu when they could've given us Buutenks or Buuhan, or even Ultra Buu.
Instead of fighting LSS Broly and then the same guy only in purple, why not the SS Broly(blue-haired in M8) and THEN have us fight LSS Broly. When I surf the roster I encounter a lot, too many, villanous enemies that are just the same guy but purple and stronger. And we are missing a lot of interesting and relevant characters and forms like 2nd Cell and a couple of Freeza's.

I know I'm bashing a 2016 game from a 2021's perspective, but GTA V is from 2013 and I don't have that much to complain nowadays.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:57 am

I'm kinda disappointed with the interactions that they give Toppo and Paikuhan. I was hoping to have Paikuhan to interact with Golden Freeza and Tpoop interact with Captain Ginyu.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:14 am

Koitsukai wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:10 pm I know I'm bashing a 2016 game from a 2021's perspective, but GTA V is from 2013 and I don't have that much to complain nowadays.
That means far less than you think. Heck, the GTA 5 example fits PERFECTLY.

Not all that much has actually changed between 2016 and 2021 in terms of video gaming. It's not like you're judging a game made in 1996 by the standards of 2001 or anything; the improvements across the generations have largely become iterative and based more on just how much stuff you can pack into the game rather than anything truly revolutionary like going from 2D to 3D or SD to HD or even largely offline to heavily online.

GTA 5 came out in 2013 for 7th gen consoles, and yet it still holds up amazingly well.

DB games have always been inconsistent. Things we've come to expect in earlier generations are considered pie-in-the-sky luxuries as time goes on. Like, for example, having a dedicated "power up" button/combo rather than having to waste a special attack slot on three different redundant variations of it. Or beam-struggles, which we've had on and off since the Super Famicom days, but not here, in a game all about changing/correcting history with your Steel Donut.

If I recall, we don't even have Super Android 13 as a playable character. We have #13 but not his more iconic transformation. It's just one of those things that makes the game feel messier than it should be.

The cost of developing HD games may be going up, but Xenoverse 2 is one of several reasons why Namco is not direly in want. The fact they're still supporting this game 5 years later tells me they still have some interest in it as well, to the point they've all but added a softcore Dokkan Battle to the game with the Hero Colosseum.
5 years! That's like if Dimps was still working on expansion packs for Budokai 1 at the time of Tenkaichi 2/Sparking! NEO's release, or if Beerus and Super Saiyan God Goku were added as DLC for Burst Limit.

And yet we still don't have some basic quality-of-life and basic customization features that even Ultimate Tenkaichi had the idea to have, like aura customization or fighting style customization. I mean for the love of Zeno!!! Ultimate Tenkaichi has no real fighting system, while Xenoverse 2 is all about training under masters/mentors of various shades of style, experience, and tactics, so why in the sweet living mother of FUCK does Xenoverse not have even a tiny handful customizable fighting styles/methods tailored to said mentors, doing things like altering attack speed, throws, light/heavy attack damage, ki blast animation and style, special/ultimate attack buffs and nerfs, and whatnot? Why can't I train under Piccolo and have a 15% damage boost to my Light Grenade? Why can't I have Guldo as a master and have fully psychic basic attacks? Why can't I have Krillin as a mentor and swap my fully-charged ki blast with a non-special kienzan? Why can't I train under Burter and have lightning fast punches and kicks? Why can't I master my relationship with Broly and swap my weak-looking throw with something more juggernaut-y? For Xenoverse 1, I understand, but we've had updates for Xenoverse 2 for 5 years! Either this is all culminating in a blockbuster Xenoverse 3 made for 9th gen consoles from the ground up, or Xenoverse 3 will actually be Xenoverse 2.1 with basically all the DLC of XV2 and maybe a couple of graphical improvements here and there and nothing else. Neither would shock me. But either way, the "ideal" Xenoverse 3 is nothing that couldn't have been done on the PS4. Heck, I think Xenoverse 2 with all DLC is something that might've even been achievable on the PS3/360 if you compromised the graphics to something closer to Burst Limit (I mean heck, Xenoverse 2 is no graphical powerhouse already).
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:20 am

Happened to me again with this game... yes, again, I bought the DLC! Even tho I have huge gripes with the game, but since getting day one edition, I am sick completionist :lol:

Story - it was great in a sense. Would love the ToP being more fleshed out than just the episode with Vegeta, but I get that it is centered around Trunks, Future Gohan and Fu. Looking forward to second part.

Characters - Top is great, fun to play as, Paikuhan is fine as well, but his long start-ups with super attacks makes him useless in a game when opponent one-shots you with stamina break.

Haven't tried the Parallel Quests yet, but as I didn't finish many of the older ones thanks to the nonsense quirks that boost the difficulty artifficially, I don't really want to.

Still, I hate the stamina break, stupid AI and being unable to play versus to my hearts content as multiplayer is broken and unenjoyable.
When I get my butt kicked in FighterZ for example, I can see why and I can learn. Here it is just spamfest of broken controls and who has the best setup based on some reddit post on the strongest equips and attacks.

Time spent on the new DLC content until the fun ran out (except story): 10 minutes - now the game is back on the shelf :lol:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:31 pm

I wonder if we will get Garlic Jr as DLC?
She/Her

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:39 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:57 am I'm kinda disappointed with the interactions that they give Toppo and Paikuhan. I was hoping to have Paikuhan to interact with Golden Freeza and Tpoop interact with Captain Ginyu.
The interactions you're expecting are kind of random. I think those are mainly built around interactions that actually happened in the show. Not that I'd hate to hear Pikkon's reaction to seeing Frieza's new form, but that never happened in the show. There are so many characters. Not every combination can have a unique interaction. lol
Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:31 pm I wonder if we will get Garlic Jr as DLC?
Mr. Popo ate him.

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:06 pm

So as some of you may have seen on the general “grinds your gears” thread, this game interests me but having to make my own OC does not. It interests me mainly due to its roster and, more importantly, an expanded mod roster including fan characters and transformations.

I just found out that parallel quests DO allow you to pick any character. But I saw that those normally get unlocked via story mode. Are there any mods to this game to unlock all parallel quests? I have little interest in online mode, so I definitely want this game modded. I do know there’s some mods to let you play as characters in the story mode instead of your own, which is cool too.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:17 pm

Yuli Ban wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:14 am DB games have always been inconsistent. Things we've come to expect in earlier generations are considered pie-in-the-sky luxuries as time goes on. Like, for example, having a dedicated "power up" button/combo rather than having to waste a special attack slot on three different redundant variations of it. Or beam-struggles, which we've had on and off since the Super Famicom days, but not here, in a game all about changing/correcting history with your Steel Donut.

If I recall, we don't even have Super Android 13 as a playable character. We have #13 but not his more iconic transformation. It's just one of those things that makes the game feel messier than it should be
You know, ever since Burst Limit, I've had this idea that there's this grand conspiracy around Dragon Ball games to make them one step forward, two steps back with each new title. All that the first Raging Blast had going for it was the increase in fidelity and online. Tiny roster, weird looking, off-model characters (Vegeta, I'm looking at you), crappy, generic effects that they didn't even seem to attempt to match the anime, boring ass guitar wank soundtrack (a trend that continues to this day)--all of this off the back of the Sparking!/Tenkaichi games, with their enormous roster, accurate character models and anime-accurate special effects, and fantastic soundtracks (be them from the anime or the international OSTs). It's the same developer. They got too close to the sun and the Dragon Ball Illuminati told them to dial it back. :lol: Raging Blast 2 was a step in the right direction, but with the Dragon Ball Puppet Masters breathing down their necks, they decided to put out Ultimate Tenkaichi. Hey, the character models/graphics are way better (even Vegeta looks like himself which wouldn't happen again until FighterZ), but at least the gameplay is dogshit now! Oh, wait...

Just imagine how easily they could've made a Raging Blast 3, and made it that generation's Tenkaichi 3. Use the graphics and character creator that were used for UT and build upon the existing foundation for QoL improvements. They were literally on track for that, but no. They shit the bed as they have done and consistently do when they are close to doing something truly great. Watch whatever finally follows Xenoverse 2 be a Ultimate Tenkaichi tier disaster. Obviously I'm being facetious with this conspiracy idea, but I do think there must be some deliberate, albeit questionable, marketing decisions at play here. I mean, I don't think it's an accident that every few years you get the exact same characters we've been getting for over a decade. Xenoverse 2 just got Paikuhan who was added to Shin Budokai, Tenkaichi 2, Raging Blast 2, and now this. I'm sure in 15 years people will be shitting themselves because whatever new game just got Tullece. I'm not sure what the solution is here but Bandai can just continue this revolving door of new series and keep adding the same characters every generation as a selling point. "Sure, you had Dabra and Gohan-absorbed Buu in 2003, but here he is again... but in this newer game! Buy now!" It's actually brilliant.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:48 pm

Do you think the second new DLC story will deal with Super Broly?
She/Her

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:54 am

Thanos wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:17 pm You know, ever since Burst Limit, I've had this idea that there's this grand conspiracy around Dragon Ball games to make them one step forward, two steps back with each new title. All that the first Raging Blast had going for it was the increase in fidelity and online. Tiny roster, weird looking, off-model characters (Vegeta, I'm looking at you), crappy, generic effects that they didn't even seem to attempt to match the anime, boring ass guitar wank soundtrack (a trend that continues to this day)--all of this off the back of the Sparking!/Tenkaichi games, with their enormous roster, accurate character models and anime-accurate special effects, and fantastic soundtracks (be them from the anime or the international OSTs). It's the same developer. They got too close to the sun and the Dragon Ball Illuminati told them to dial it back. :lol: Raging Blast 2 was a step in the right direction, but with the Dragon Ball Puppet Masters breathing down their necks, they decided to put out Ultimate Tenkaichi. Hey, the character models/graphics are way better (even Vegeta looks like himself which wouldn't happen again until FighterZ), but at least the gameplay is dogshit now! Oh, wait...

Just imagine how easily they could've made a Raging Blast 3, and made it that generation's Tenkaichi 3. Use the graphics and character creator that were used for UT and build upon the existing foundation for QoL improvements. They were literally on track for that, but no. They shit the bed as they have done and consistently do when they are close to doing something truly great. Watch whatever finally follows Xenoverse 2 be a Ultimate Tenkaichi tier disaster. Obviously I'm being facetious with this conspiracy idea, but I do think there must be some deliberate, albeit questionable, marketing decisions at play here. I mean, I don't think it's an accident that every few years you get the exact same characters we've been getting for over a decade. Xenoverse 2 just got Paikuhan who was added to Shin Budokai, Tenkaichi 2, Raging Blast 2, and now this. I'm sure in 15 years people will be shitting themselves because whatever new game just got Tullece. I'm not sure what the solution is here but Bandai can just continue this revolving door of new series and keep adding the same characters every generation as a selling point. "Sure, you had Dabra and Gohan-absorbed Buu in 2003, but here he is again... but in this newer game! Buy now!" It's actually brilliant.
While it's fun to imagine some level of wild conspiracy, we already know what the issue was:

Sales were plummeting.

Why would they do a third game in a series where the sequel sold significantly fewer than the first entry, and sales of all games in the entire franchise were trending downward? Here's a news post we did with the first-week Xenoverse (the first game) sales figures compared against previous games. Obviously that's just first week and not lifetime, but it's a strong indicator of the overall health and respective sales trends of the games.

They made all the right decisions, quite frankly, in moving to Xenoverse instead of plodding along with refining the previous games.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:17 pm

It’s true that back in the day, even tho I have enjoyed Raging Blast 2 and bought it just because of the novelty roster from the movies and Hatchihyaku, I skipped Raging Blast 1 already because it was lacking heavily compared to Sparking! Meteor and I have skipped all the other games of PS3/X360 era...

I am back in saddle again since XV1 which really excited me since announcement and I have my gripes with XV2, have some critique for Kakarot and FighterZ is brilliant and still fun.
This gen, or let’s say, last gen was miles ahead from the barebones releases with DB logo on them (but I must say, Revenge of King Piccolo was underrated fun) that came a generation before. Also in stark contrast with weak franchise games like Jump, Fist Of The North Star or Jojo’s Bizzare Adventure.
Therefore I think Bandai is on the right track finally and we just nitpick the games as they still are not on par with AAA titles, but pretty solid and close.

Damn, FighterZ is probably the best Dragon Ball fighter game I have played since SNES and great fighting game among the others.
Which is something I have waited for a lifetime.
Kakarot is also kinda fun, as it takes me back to Legacy Of Goku games, even tho the sidequests in them even if rudiculous, were pretty enjoyable and had an idea in comparison to plethora of skull robots in Kakarot. Remember you, Vegeta carrying eggs for a dinosaur mother :D
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:00 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:54 amThey made all the right decisions, quite frankly, in moving to Xenoverse instead of plodding along with refining the previous games.
I think Xenoverse's release coinciding with Dragon Ball's revival had more to do with its success, honestly, than the game's actual quality of play or concept.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:35 pm

Ultimate Tenkaichi was clearly an attempt to revitalize Dragon Ball games after the disappointing sales of the RB games. The new combat system was an attempt at doing something fresh for the series, as was the character creator system. The problem was that from what I understand, the game was rushed in order to meet the 2011 release date.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:46 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:35 pm Ultimate Tenkaichi was clearly an attempt to revitalize Dragon Ball games after the disappointing sales of the RB games. The new combat system was an attempt at doing something fresh for the series, as was the character creator system. The problem was that from what I understand, the game was rushed in order to meet the 2011 release date.
How long was spike given when Ultimate Tenkaichi went into development?
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:59 pm

Naruto6583 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:46 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:35 pm Ultimate Tenkaichi was clearly an attempt to revitalize Dragon Ball games after the disappointing sales of the RB games. The new combat system was an attempt at doing something fresh for the series, as was the character creator system. The problem was that from what I understand, the game was rushed in order to meet the 2011 release date.
I’m not certain. Back in the day, I remember seeing people on forums who said the game only had about a year of development time, but I don’t recall reading any official sources. I’m not sure how long it usually takes to make a game, but I would’ve assumed that if RB2 had sold well, we would’ve gotten an RB3 instead of UT.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:14 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:59 pm
Naruto6583 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:46 pm
I’m not certain. Back in the day, I remember seeing people on forums who said the game only had about a year of development time, but I don’t recall reading any official sources. I’m not sure how long it usually takes to make a game, but I would’ve assumed that if RB2 had sold well, we would’ve gotten an RB3 instead of UT.
To my knowledge it varies on how long a publisher is willing to allocate time for a games development. If its something new, you have to take your time. Make sure everything is ready for launch for potential positive reviews and good sales. Then you can start focusing on sequels. An example would be Activision old spider-man games. I'm unsure of how long neversoft developed the ps1 game from 2000. But I remember hearing that vicarious visions who developed Enter Electro its sequel on had about a turnover time of about a year.

They were picked because neversoft was busy with tony hawk. And vicarious had to have help from neversoft because they didn't know how the engine worked on top developing 11 other games that same year. Ultimate Spider-Man had the same turn around time since Spider-Man 2 was so successful and treyarch and activision wanted to follow up. But Spider-Man 3 was still three years away so they needed something Spider-Man related to do. Sadly Ultimate sold poorly much like Enter Electro.

Granted long developments don't always equal good games. Mass Effect Andromeda, Anthem and Cyberpunk 2077 all had there fair share of issues in development and pretty much suffered for it.
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:40 am

VegettoEX wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:54 am While it's fun to imagine some level of wild conspiracy, we already know what the issue was:

Sales were plummeting.

Why would they do a third game in a series where the sequel sold significantly fewer than the first entry, and sales of all games in the entire franchise were trending downward? Here's a news post we did with the first-week Xenoverse (the first game) sales figures compared against previous games. Obviously that's just first week and not lifetime, but it's a strong indicator of the overall health and respective sales trends of the games.

They made all the right decisions, quite frankly, in moving to Xenoverse instead of plodding along with refining the previous games.
Yeah, this is something I've been saying for a while. I feel people nowadays have completely forgotten just how much crusty dried spunk the Dragon Ball video game IP was covered in circa 2009-2012. Kai underperformed, video game sales were pathetic even by shovelware standards, and there was no new material coming out except VERY questionable Japan-only specials (& Dragon Ball SD and Online). The Yo! Son Goku special is remembered more fondly nowadays but only because of how laid back it was and the fact its art direction is so much better than the glossy plastic we had to deal with for most of Super. Ironic because its brightness and "banana Super Saiyan hair" was a big reason why people didn't like it.
I had this infographic detailing the revenue the DB games were bringing in around 2011-2012. It wasn't good. IIRC, it was maxing out at around $25 million/¥2 billion. For many series, that might be pretty great. For an internationally recognized IP like Dragon Ball, that's pathetic.

Compared to the 2018-2019 season which had somewhere around ¥100 billion (or $1 billion), it's clear Dragon Ball was in a massive financial rut at the start of the decade. It was like a vicious cycle. Dragon Ball games weren't selling anymore because Dragon Ball had completed its run and the lingering interest in the series had ebbed to only the hardcore and nostalgic. The million-sellers we saw in the 6th gen were possible because development costs could be so low, but HD development necessitated much higher budgets and more time spent on the games, which was the worst trap for DB since the contract was for yearly game releases. Dragon Ball Kai didn't revitalize the brand anywhere near as much as Toei and Bandai hoped, and outside of Burst Limit, the early ventures into HD development flopped, so there was less revenue coming in. And because there was less revenue coming in, the publisher obvious gave the devs less of a budget to work with because why sink tens of millions into a licensed game that's only going to gross $20 million even if sold at full price? And the lower budget and stripped back features meant the game was going to be inferior to titles from a decade prior, so fans wouldn't bother picking it up even if they cared about Dragon Ball.

And I'm not saying it was the biggest factor ever or anything, but let's not forget that there may or may not have been something going on around 2008-2009 or so that could theoretically have affected the finances and budgets of complicated, expensive things like video game development. A crisis that was felt across the globe and was based on the financial system. I wonder if there's a snappier term for that. Either way, it was like kicking these games when they were already down.

Bandai got a little clever towards the end of that second DB Dark Age (presuming the first DB Dark Age was the mid-late 90s) with employing Artdink. Alternating between dev studios could've allowed a respite for each to have more time to work on titles. But that only works if the title is still good, and Battle of Z is probably the single most mediocre 3D Dragon Ball game. It's the flavor of flour. Even Infinite World is just a refined Budokai 3, and that was a pretty good anime shlock fighter. Burst Limit was a stripped back Budokai with cinematics intruding on the gameplay way too damn often, but it was intended as the "new" Budokai 1 for HD and by those standards, it's a pretty alright game.
Battle of Z feels like a prototype of Xenoverse, with none of what makes Xenoverse interesting. And to be honest, the gameplay is the least interesting part of Xenoverse, so an even more barebones version of it is about as tepid as you can get. It's not the worst DB game by far, but I do think that it's the most "Dark Age" game. It's the perfect example of what Dragon Ball games were after Sparking/Burst Limit and before Xenoverse: mediocre shovelware trash that felt like they weren't even intended to sell a million copies but instead fulfill a yearly contract.

And to be honest again, Xenoverse fits that mold too. The first Xenoverse was a gimmicky saving throw to mix up a formula so stale that it had gone plastic. The plans for Online fell through, so why not reboot them as a chaotic free-for-all fighter? It was still spastic and clunky that's more about manipulating the frustrating AI; the hub world was a poorly conceived mess with too much loading and too little content; character creator was a great idea but was missing features that even Ultimate Tenkaichi had; the meta's pretty crap all things considering... but it worked. It was such a success that Xenoverse 1 and 2 eclipsed even the almighty Budokai in sales. And it's no wonder: people do like self-inserting their own OCs into franchises like this. Plus, Xenoverse had the success of Battle of Gods and then Resurrection F and then the newly announced Super to propel it along.

But wait, here's Dokkan Battle, which might as well be renamed Dr¥gon B¥ll: F¥t W¥llet Edition. And when you thought it was done, here's Fusions, Legends, Kakarot, World Mission, and the big motherfucker of them all: FighterZ, hands down the single greatest Dragon Ball game ever released (and I will hear no objections to this!) Between FighterZ, Xenoverse 2 (with all DLC), and Kakarot, we're finally getting the games we used to dream of seeing back in the early/mid 2000s and would lament that we'd never see in the late 2000s/early 2010s. And I know this is the case because I started a thread dedicated to drudging up these nearly two-decade-old threads saying as much, dreaming of games with character creators, open-world hubs, Street Fighter-tier tournament fighter gameplay, Legacy of Goku in 3D, and whatnot.

It's such an explosively astounding turnaround that it boggles the mind. Super turned everything around so hard that it's magical, even if I still have misgivings about Xenoverse 2's antiquated design which is like the last echo of that dark age.

The best way to think of it: the difference between Dragon Ball games circa 2011 and 2021 is like the difference between Legacy of Goku 1 and Legacy of Goku 2. It's a qualitative improvement that doesn't feel real.
The Yabanverse

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:39 am

Actually, I just remembered a better analogy.

If the DB series was bringing in about two billion yen in revenue yearly in 2011 and increased to over 100 billion yen by 2019, that's a 50x increase.

Dragon Ball games literally went Super Saiyan.
The Yabanverse

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:44 pm

Was Ultimate the game that had Freeza voiced by two actors at the same time? That had to be rushed at least on the American side. Sometimes I feel like that Xenoverse is build on the bones of the Raging Blast 2 character models but I am pretty sure that is wrong. Raging Blast 2 probably looks worse then I remember. :|
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:42 am

TheMajinRedComet wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:44 pm Was Ultimate the game that had Freeza voiced by two actors at the same time? That had to be rushed at least on the American side. Sometimes I feel like that Xenoverse is build on the bones of the Raging Blast 2 character models but I am pretty sure that is wrong. Raging Blast 2 probably looks worse then I remember. :|
It was. The OG Funi and Kai Funi cast would often alternate voice actors in the same cutscene, to say nothing of the fact characters mouths simply opened and closed— making no effort to even follow the Japanese voices— or the pisspoor way they turned around in cutscenes (think of standing on a turntable or aboutfacing in PS2-era GTA games).
The Xenoverse models may have come from Raging Blast, I couldn't say. I'm no expert on these particular details. Only that the lighting engine obscures said details to my eyes; all I think of when I hear "Raging Blast" is "clay toys."

But the game was rushed all around. The American dub of these games is irrelevant to that; it's always the same case of the voice actors coming in, half-heartedly reenacting events from the show. It's inevitable when these titles have to come out yearly.

So it's very fair to give Xenoverse credit for at least feeling like there was some extra effort put into it. But it and Battle of Z really shouldn't be praised for doing the absolute bare minimum possible when Ultimate Tenkaichi couldn't be arsed.
The Yabanverse