"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by jcogginsa » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:57 pm

The game just got revealed. Have patience people

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:12 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:- 1 vs 1 option. 3 vs 3 is cool, but I don't want to be restricted to that and I'm not feeling i'm asking for too much here.
I was going to address that, hope the game don't force us players to battle 3 vs. 3 all the time as I really prefer the casual 1 vs. 1.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

SSJ6Goku
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ6Goku » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:39 pm

i was hoping we would get more characters announced. dissapointed in this scan

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:41 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: - Variety in characters introduction clashes. It's always the same one and I would like to have different ones. Like the classic of both characters punching each other in the face; one rushes to kick and other one blocks...Three different ones are more than enough. Just one feels repetitive.
As much as I want that too, it won't happen. EVER. Cuz it would take a shit ton of time to do them, especially from a small team like ASW. I rather for them to focus on the gameplay and special move animations, just like how it is in Guilty Gear Xrd.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

dariend777

Post by dariend777 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:57 pm

Would love to androids/cyborgs 16, 17, & 18 in this ...as well as fighter trunks, cooler, and super buu!
...Buuuut, realistically, that might be pushin it .
I'm sure plenty of fans want beerus and broly too :D
"I would rather have an inferiority complex and be pleasantly surprised, than have a superiority complex and be rudely awakened."
Vanna Bonta quotes

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:01 pm

Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

sophitia
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sophitia » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:51 am

Grimlock wrote:Here's the V-Jump page about this game. Nothing that we didn't already know.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I love how it says "The real Dragon Ball fighting (game)". As if the past titles aren't real fighting games. :D

Zidiane
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zidiane » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:04 am

This guy posted a breakdown of the system mechanics from the E3 build:
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1spv9ca
jcogginsa wrote:The game just got revealed. Have patience people
^this
sophitia wrote:
Grimlock wrote:Here's the V-Jump page about this game. Nothing that we didn't already know.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I love how it says "The real Dragon Ball fighting (game)". As if the past titles aren't real fighting games. :D
You're probably gonna hear it a lot, tbh. There's a clear distinction between the kinda game that BT/RB/XV/etc. are and games like Butoden and Dragon Ball FighterZ. The competitive fighters are generally considered more seriously as fighters, so that's gonna be a common thing you'll hear.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:43 am

Man, I will get this game even if it had roster of 10 characters, that much I am happy just for the gameplay and it being a true competitive fighter.
Can you imagine, being almost in your thirties waiting for stuff like this for 20 years after the series ran past you? Crazy! :D
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

LaRésistance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LaRésistance » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:40 pm

Hi guys, I interviewed Tomoko Hiroki, the game's Producer, during E3 and we covered a broad variety of subjects like the size of the roster, the power disparity between characters, the chances of a Switch version (it could be coming after the other versions) and even the possibility of alternate outfits for characters. I also begged for Tenshinhan to be included as a playable character (she answered). Here is the interview: http://www.gameblog.fr/dossier_1084_dra ... switch-la-

I'm too jetlagged to translate the interview back into English but Google Translate might give you a good idea of what's being said.
The résistance dies but never gives up.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:40 pm

LaRésistance wrote:Hi guys, I interviewed Tomoko Hiroki, the game's Producer, during E3 and we covered a broad variety of subjects like the size of the roster, the power disparity between characters, the chances of a Switch version (it could be coming after the other versions) and even the possibility of alternate outfits for characters. I also begged for Tenshinhan to be included as a playable character (she answered). Here is the interview: http://www.gameblog.fr/dossier_1084_dra ... switch-la-

I'm too jetlagged to translate the interview back into English but Google Translate might give you a good idea of what's being said.
Thats cool and all, though I kind of hate when people ask questions about roster right when a game is announced, because the fact is: they don't know what the final roster will look like and they already have an idea of whom they are already working on behind the scenes. I wish people were more focused on staying focused on the mechanics and not character lists. Though asking for alternate costumes is relevant. I'm more concerned about wanting them to consider a 1v1 and 2v2 option for playstyles, (and the option to turn the announcer off) or if there will be special dialogue between characters in their intros and outros. (Things that end up being finalized early in development without conversation.)
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Zidiane
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zidiane » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:26 pm

Haven't seen this posted here yet. It's a breakdown of the animation, and why it looks so good/like the source material. It's a good watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdnq53SdXZE

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:41 pm

TIEN IS IN!!! F*&K YES!!

Thanks man!!

I'm willing to bet Krillin is in, too! With Tien, Krillin, Piccolo and Frieza I'm 90% happy with the roster!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:43 am

This is the way I've always felt "CGI anime" should always look, instead of just cel-shading 3D models and lowering the framerate. I've never played the Guilty Gear games, and apparently ASW has used this technique before, but it's new to me, and it's still neat.

Also, Street Fighter should seriously take inspiration from this. I don't care for the feel the series has had since 4 (plus 4 and 5 look ugly as hell anyway).
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:34 am

Metalwario64 wrote:This is the way I've always felt "CGI anime" should always look, instead of just cel-shading 3D models and lowering the framerate. I've never played the Guilty Gear games, and apparently ASW has used this technique before, but it's new to me, and it's still neat.

Also, Street Fighter should seriously take inspiration from this. I don't care for the feel the series has had since 4 (plus 4 and 5 look ugly as hell anyway).
It took my breath away literally! I am huge fan of Guilty Gear since GGX and played all the games including Isuka except for GG2 on Xbox.
I was mainly hooked on the character designd and heavy metal theme and that it is the classic animated 2D fighter like those I grew up on as a kid.
I was ignoring GG on the current gen, as I played plethora of them already and wasn't ready to pay or import that much for a 2D game on PS4 and man, I made a mistake!
I bought the Sign at a discount on PSN Store and me and my brother were just looking on the game not believing our eyes!

The 3D characters are so well done, that your eyes have trouble to comprehend what they are seeing. Maybe I am exxagerating, but the game looks actually better on actual console and TV, than it seems on youtube videos.
My brother was repeating ''I don't believe it is 3D!!!'' for like an hour and Instant Kill attacks look godly like.

The DB FighterZ looks a little subpar to Guilty Gear Xrd, but I will wait for the final product and actual gameplay on my console to actually see it, as Guilty Gear really looks a lot better on as you play it on 1080 and 60fps on PS4 than recording of the game on youtube.
And yeah, I will buy Revelator as well ;))
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:11 pm

After reading that article, where they mention outfits and hit boxes, i just came up with ways for some character outfits to be similar but not affect it.

Goku: 23rd Budokai-Freeza saga style gi, Manga accurate version, EoZ Gi, and Whis gi
Gohan: Purple gi, Orange Gi, Saiyan armour, Black Gi (Limited Color Pallet)
Vegeta, Freeza saga armor, Bulma armor 1.0 , Boo saga outfit, Bulma armor 2.0

Also, about the characters question, that basically means characters from DB, Z, Super, and GT when they say Characters to satisfy a "Wide Audience"

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

EA575
Regular

Post by EA575 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:49 pm

They got that statement from LaRésistance's interview hehe

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:18 pm

Zidiane wrote:Haven't seen this posted here yet. It's a breakdown of the animation, and why it looks so good/like the source material. It's a good watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdnq53SdXZE
Thats a very interesting video, to see how even down to the animations of the characters, they wanted to replicate the anime's feel. I don't think I've seen the games really do that with 3D models before.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:34 pm

I wish they waited until the game was a lot further into development to announce it. There will be nothing much to discuss except for roster speculation, with maybe new leaks from magazines confirming characters.

Sure there'll be the alpha/beta in a couple months or so, but that won't last too long.
Feels over Reals.