"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:36 am

You don't understand competitive gaming. Characters have different styles and strengths, there's a reason the term "bad match-up" exists. Certain characters will be better then others. While the comment is vague, saying every character should be able to beat any character is simply incorrect for a fighting game. Certain characters will always be at a disadvantage to certain others in a fighting game.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Simere
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Simere » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:42 am

Nickolaidas wrote:Tien is designed, from the ground up, to be unable to defeat Goku 1 on 1 when playing against a player of equal skill as you (at least, that's what the developer is heavily implying). He's nerfed ON. PURPOSE. And it's complete, utter, bullshit.
I just don't understand why you're looking at the balance of a 3v3 tag fighter in the context of 1v1. That's not how it would be balanced even if they weren't trying to design characters to fit certain roles. Tien would be serving a different role on the team than Goku; It's not lesser because it's different, it might even be a more important role.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:48 am

That kills all the hype for this game. If that comment is true the best characters are already revealed and the few ones that are left will be shit or good as assists, as if there's any fun in that.

Power levels. The bane of Dragon Ball.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:37 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:You don't understand competitive gaming. Characters have different styles and strengths, there's a reason the term "bad match-up" exists. Certain characters will be better then others. While the comment is vague, saying every character should be able to beat any character is simply incorrect for a fighting game. Certain characters will always be at a disadvantage to certain others in a fighting game.
No. Just no.

I can understand fighting games having a rock/paper/scissors logic (Character A has advantage over Character B and disadvantage over Character C, while Character B has disadvantage over Character A and disadvantage over Character C). This makes characters equal because they have strengths and weaknesses.

However, this isn't what the producer is saying. He's saying that b-Tier characters are better used as assists. And that sucks because I want to play Krillin as a true character, not spamming Taiokens for the purpose of a combo opener handled by Goku.

Yeah, sure, Doctor Doom was stupidly overused as an assist, but he COULD hold his ground and easily fight with the big boys 1 on 1. That's where my beef is.

If they want to respect power levels and not have minor characters be equal to A-Tier characters, they should have just made them assists-only and have only the characters they consider truly powerful to be on the roster. Not having Super Boo as a solid character in order to have a weakling-joke character like Krillin who's only good for spamming Taiokens is sheer waste of a character slot.

Either make Krillin a solid fighter, or have him as assist-only like Sorbet. Otherwise he'll end up being used online as much as Appule in Xenoverse.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:42 am

Simere wrote: I just don't understand why you're looking at the balance of a 3v3 tag fighter in the context of 1v1. That's not how it would be balanced even if they weren't trying to design characters to fit certain roles. Tien would be serving a different role on the team than Goku; It's not lesser because it's different, it might even be a more important role.
Because in Marvel vs Capcom games, you could make strategy and pick certain characters in order to do certain things, but each character individually was more or less equal with other characters. There were exceptions, but it was more because of miscalculations on the devs' part, rather than purposeful buffs.

There are exceptions, of course. Scorpion is Boon's fave character which is why he's always A-Tier, but the rest of the guys are more or less solid choices.

Honestly: Did you ever hear Boon say something like "Well, it would destroy the MK Universe if Baraka was able to defeat Liu Kang."

... I don't know, maybe I'm too pissed off because almost all my favourite characters are B-Tier and I fear they're just going to be only good for assists.

Gray Riders
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gray Riders » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:36 am

What I find funny is that the game designed to be a proper fighting game is going to be intentionally less balanced than the "dragon ball simulator" games were.

I wonder if they'll actually be accurate and Cell will be useless VS Buu saga and above characters, or just pretend all the main villains and the Saiyans are roughly equal?

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:05 am

Gray Riders wrote:What I find funny is that the game designed to be a proper fighting game is going to be intentionally less balanced than the "dragon ball simulator" games were.
"I can't believe the tank can take more damage than me! And the healer has more utility! And that guy is doing less damage than me but his mobility is far better! This is imbalanced!"
I wonder if they'll actually be accurate and Cell will be useless VS Buu saga and above characters, or just pretend all the main villains and the Saiyans are roughly equal?
Why are you wondering? Go watch the tournaments at EVO right now. Surely someone who understands proper fighting games is already doing that.

Gray Riders
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gray Riders » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:25 am

Simere wrote: "I can't believe the tank can take more damage than me! And the healer has more utility! And that guy is doing less damage than me but his mobility is far better! This is imbalanced!"\
Where did I say it's bad or ruins the game? I just find it funny that the "dragon ball simulators" designed all the characters to be usable fighters (except maybe Mr. Satan) while one designed to be played at tournaments is splitting characters into support roles to follow canon better. I know that games like MvC have some character better at support and others better at the direct combat, but that doesn't mean this isn't kind of funny.
"Less balanced" may not have been the best term (who knows how it'll turn out), but it's early in the morning and I don't sleep well at night.
Why are you wondering? Go watch the tournaments at EVO right now. Surely someone who understands proper fighting games is already doing that.
That's wasn't a serious question. I know very well Cell will not be a support-designated character in this game. It was a joke about the tendency for the games to include power levels to some extent, but pretend the main villains were all on the same level, and that Freeza was definitely not vastly weaker than Cell Jr (pre ROF, of course).

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:40 am

I think I'll just wait to get my hands on the game in the closed beta before passing any preemptive judgement on how affected the roster is with concept of characters who are naturally weaker in-universe being more effective as assist characters and how balanced as a whole the game is as result of this design choice. There's still a lot about the mechanics of the game we don't know about and and I'm not gonna jump the gun just yet based on the producers comment.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:43 am

Gray Riders wrote:Where did I say it's bad or ruins the game? I just find it funny that the "dragon ball simulators" designed all the characters to be usable fighters (except maybe Mr. Satan) while one designed to be played at tournaments is splitting characters into support roles to follow canon better. I know that games like MvC have some character better at support and others better at the direct combat, but that doesn't mean this isn't kind of funny.
"Less balanced" may not have been the best term (who knows how it'll turn out), but it's early in the morning and I don't sleep well at night.
Where did I say you said that? :P Calling it imbalanced is all I have a problem with, and if that's not what you meant forget I said anything. I understand just not liking that a favorite character might not be able to fill a role you hoped they could. But that was bound to happen either by intentional or unintentional design.

Anyway, I also think it's an overreaction to read that quote as saying these hypothetical weaker fighters would have zero chance of winning against the powerhouses. When I first read the interview I pictured a 7-3, even 6-4 matchup. Lopsided enough that no good player would willingly take the matchup if they could avoid it, but not so tilted that it makes winning impossible.

Gray Riders
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gray Riders » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:12 pm

Simere wrote: Where did I say you said that? :P Calling it imbalanced is all I have a problem with, and if that's not what you meant forget I said anything. I understand just not liking that a favorite character might not be able to fill a role you hoped they could. But that was bound to happen either by intentional or unintentional design.

Anyway, I also think it's an overreaction to read that quote as saying these hypothetical weaker fighters would have zero chance of winning against the powerhouses. When I first read the interview I pictured a 7-3, even 6-4 matchup. Lopsided enough that no good player would willingly take the matchup if they could avoid it, but not so tilted that it makes winning impossible.
Heh, touche. :)

Yes, it's too early to call exactly what happens, though I should explain I'm coming from the perspective of someone who stopped playing traditional fighters before the team battle system really got started (mostly the SNES era, a few in the 64 era), so the idea of some characters mostly good for assist in a game where I'm expecting a much more limited roster than something like Marvel Vs Capcom is odd to me.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:25 pm

Yeah, I'm definitely jumping the gun, here. Guilty as charged.

It's just that ... every time, every single time a developer has commented on something that rubbed me the wrong way, it turned out to be more or less what I feared. I just don't want the B-Tier characters to be flat out useless when exchanging blows with an A-Tier character.

I think a good trade-off could be Krillin having better assists, but weaker Super Meteo moves. For example, him having a Taioken, which is essentially an automatic opener for a huge combo from his teammates, but his Super is two-three Kienzan, instead of a laying-waste Father-Son Kamehameha by Gohan.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:24 pm

Two new characters will be announced in this month's V-Jump. We should get spoilers in the next few days. Certainly Piccolo is one of them, he has to.

Also they said both the Guilty Gear and the BlazBlue teams are working on the game. This from the Arc System Works stream at EVO.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:01 pm

LightBing wrote:Two new characters will be announced in this month's V-Jump.
Fact or speculation? And yeah, Piccolo would be good to see. If not him, Krillin. Or Gotenks.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's a fact. Hope that Trunks isn't one of the two.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:06 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:
LightBing wrote:Two new characters will be announced in this month's V-Jump.
Fact or speculation? And yeah, Piccolo would be good to see. If not him, Krillin. Or Gotenks.
Fact, said by the producer in her interview at the Arc System Works stream at EVO. I wrote it in my previous post.

I agree Kuririn and Gotenks would also be sweet. Gotenks specially should be a fun character.

sophitia
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sophitia » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:39 pm

I'll save my judgment until I see how bad are those "assist characters" in 1 v 1 againts the already announced characters. There's no way Arcsys and Bamco aiming Evo like this lol.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:37 am

Does anyone have any good full body shots of Goku's blue gi from this?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:34 am

ekrolo2 wrote:Does anyone have any good full body shots of Goku's blue gi from this?
[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:35 am

Simere wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Does anyone have any good full body shots of Goku's blue gi from this?
[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
Thank you! I've been trying to find this for a while now but I can't seem to get any good pics of it.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:17 am

LightBing wrote:Two new characters will be announced in this month's V-Jump. Certainly Piccolo is one of them, he has to.
Piccolo, Krillin & Tien will definitely make it in.

How many characters do you think we'll get overall ? with those 3 and who we already know that'll be 10.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.