"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSGSS Goku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by SSGSS Goku » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:47 pm

KorgDTR2000 wrote:
Simere wrote:What scan was this?

Capcom used these radar charts for SFV characters, and the correlation to the characters actual strengths and playstyle was pretty non-existent. I expect the same from these.
This one
Where was this from? I couldn't find it anywhere else

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:02 pm

How awesome would it be if Tenshinhan could do this in the game?

TheDBZmaster100
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDBZmaster100 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:16 pm

KorgDTR2000 wrote:How awesome would it be if Tenshinhan could do this in the game?
Would be an interesting mechanic for Tenshinhan as a character. Similarly if C20 was to be in the game, they can make use of his Ki Absorption and Health absorption gimmick (which would differentiate him from the other cast of the game).

If they can make use of Tenshinhan's 4 witches technique, multi form technique and Chazo as a special whereby he uses his paralysis technique, Tenshinhan would be the best all rounder character in the game. His other specials attacks would consists of his Kikoho, Solar flare, Dodonpa and volleyball fist.

Dabura with his conjuration ability (sword/spear), stone spit (stun move), spewing out flame and telekinesis would be awesome. Would be one of the few melee users in the game along with Future Trunks and perhaps Janemba (another character with an awesome moveset).

People need to think of characters with unique movesets and mechanics they can bring in to to the game. No need to request characters who only have one technique which tends to just be another generic ki blast.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:03 pm

Gafonso6 wrote:Piccolo and Krillin confirmed.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Predictable but they look awesome!

It's a little detail but they gave Krillin his DBS outfit. Great!
I think I never been so excited to play with Krillin. His moveset looks so much fun.

The graphics of this game are perfection. I would love to have a short special animated like this.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:30 pm

Good dev quote on balance:
"We didn’t design it for certain characters to be support, exactly. It’s just that their assist moves have more situations that they can be useful than others. If you have a team filled with these characters, then you’d be able to use their strong assists to take down the stronger characters," he said. "Also, in design, the stronger characters are designed to have longer cooldowns on their assists, so their assists can be used less often."

Zidiane
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zidiane » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:50 pm

New interview/write-up from red bull:
https://www.redbull.com/us-en/evo-2017- ... excitement

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:09 pm

Interesting quotes from the article linked above:

"Tomoko made a point to mention that the single player mode is one she hopes will be a unique experience. "We can't give specifics, but we plan on taking another new approach to the story like Xenoverse did," she said."

Unique story mode it seems. :thumbup:

"In order to make the character, you really have to know how they fight, and there are two ways of making movesets," explained Tomoko. "Goku, for example; he of course has his signature Kamehameha, so he's going to have that move. For other moves, we take into account the character personality to build a moveset, then we go back to the manga and look for attacks that fit into that character."

They get the moveset from the manga, instead of the anime. The correct way of doing it in my opinion. Might also mean movies and Super are secondary to them at this point.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:15 pm

LightBing wrote:Interesting quotes from the article linked above:

"Tomoko made a point to mention that the single player mode is one she hopes will be a unique experience. "We can't give specifics, but we plan on taking another new approach to the story like Xenoverse did," she said."

I'm guessing it's gonna be akin to Shin Budokai in how to tackle a story as I doubt they'll have enough characters to do a Raditz to Buu repeat
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:19 pm

Kanassa wrote:

I'm guessing it's gonna be akin to Shin Budokai in how to tackle a story as I doubt they'll have enough characters to do a Raditz to Buu repeat
I wonder if Story Mode only characters might be a thing?

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:22 pm

LightBing wrote:"In order to make the character, you really have to know how they fight, and there are two ways of making movesets," explained Tomoko. "Goku, for example; he of course has his signature Kamehameha, so he's going to have that move. For other moves, we take into account the character personality to build a moveset, then we go back to the manga and look for attacks that fit into that character."

They get the moveset from the manga, instead of the anime. The correct way of doing it in my opinion. Might also mean movies and Super are secondary to them at this point.
I can't help but think that part of it is how much easier it is to use the manga as a reference, since every single action shot can be easily found, clipped out, bookmarked, etc. whereas referencing the anime requires parsing through hours and hours of footage.

Of course, the fact that Toriyama drew such fantastic action shots can't be denied, and if you want to capture the energy of a kick in a single pose you go to the manga. It's actually kind of cool that they're basically animating the manga, rather than reanimating the anime.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:32 pm

A bit disappointed the Special Beam Cannon (sorry I can't spell the original name haha) is all yellow but I guess that might be how the manga colourizes it as that is the inspiration for this game.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:32 pm

LightBing wrote:
Kanassa wrote:

I wonder if Story Mode only characters might be a thing?
I'm hoping for some good old fashioned secret characters
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:34 pm

I'm pretty impressed at how they're trying to keep the characters as diverse as possible. Krillin looks great and I'm glad they're taking full advantage of Piccolo's limbs.

No one truly surprising on the roster yet, with the current fighters being pretty standard on any Dragonball fighter. Just got to get 18 and Gotenks in there and that's the full set of bare minimum 'important' fighters. After that it gets less predictable but I'm hoping Yamcha doesn't get completely ignored as a fighter.

As ridiculously unlikely as it is, I love the idea of Yamcha teaming up with Puar similar to Rosalina in Super Smash Bros, with Puar becoming various weapons to aid you and keep the pressure off. I think a puppeteer fighter could be pretty nifty. I guess Ginyu could perform similar with his members, or Tenshinhan with Chiaoutzu if Puar would be considered too silly.

Fairly confident Tenshinhan will get in providing there's enough empty slots due to his INSANE MOVEPOOL for the team to draw from. but I wonder what Yamcha and Roshi's chances are...
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:58 pm

Zidiane wrote:New interview/write-up from red bull:
https://www.redbull.com/us-en/evo-2017- ... excitement
I'm impressed by their passion. They really seem to know what they are doing.

This is the first Dragon Ball game in a long time (since Final Bout in 1997) that I don't care about how the story mode will be. I'm expecting to be a normal arcade mode so if they give me something more than that, I will already be glad.

The gameplay and character roster have all my attention. I hope we can have 1 vs 1 battles at least.

It's cool to know they want to support the game even after it got released, just like it happens with Xenoverse. I don't pay for extra content though. :P
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:36 pm

I need to get my hands on this beta. Is there any info on how and where to sign up for it?

lord godly da don
Beyond Newbie

Post by lord godly da don » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:25 pm

Does anyone else see bulma making the roster I can see her using gadgets and covering the screen up with bull shit

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:53 am

Game is getting to look really good! Saw a video with the Piccolo and Kuririn reveal and grey both look great. I can't wait to play them! I also found it interesting how the Kienzan is going to be an unblockable attack... ;) Sounds about right to me!

Rinsankajugin
Regular

Post by Rinsankajugin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:16 am

lord godly da don wrote:Does anyone else see bulma making the roster I can see her using gadgets and covering the screen up with bull shit
I'd say a hard maybe, and that's only because of her appearance in Extreme Butoden.

Despite being an assist character in that game, she was actually given a good amount of techniques (Capsule Throw, Motorcycle Ram, Laser Gun, Hetap Refill, Mini-Turret) as apposed to every other assist's 1 or 2 techniques.

It's as if Bulma was supposed to be playable, but ASW couldn't figure out a full moveset...

Ikazvyr
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ikazvyr » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:06 am

Rinsankajugin wrote:
lord godly da don wrote:Does anyone else see bulma making the roster I can see her using gadgets and covering the screen up with bull shit
I'd say a hard maybe, and that's only because of her appearance in Extreme Butoden.

Despite being an assist character in that game, she was actually given a good amount of techniques (Capsule Throw, Motorcycle Ram, Laser Gun, Hetap Refill, Mini-Turret) as apposed to every other assist's 1 or 2 techniques.

It's as if Bulma was supposed to be playable, but ASW couldn't figure out a full moveset...
IIRC Bulma is also in Dragon Ball Heroes. It's turn based, but she got some interesting techniques. She could be a good support, but I believe she won't be on roster. If and only if, she will be like Sorbet's ring laser. Although I think that Bulma building machines, turrets and bombs and putting it on the arena would be so Guilty Gear that it could work

Rinsankajugin
Regular

Post by Rinsankajugin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:14 am

Ikazvyr wrote:
Rinsankajugin wrote:

IIRC Bulma is also in Dragon Ball Heroes. It's turn based, but she got some interesting techniques. She could be a good support, but I believe she won't be on roster. If and only if, she will be like Sorbet's ring laser. Although I think that Bulma building machines, turrets and bombs and putting it on the arena would be so Guilty Gear that it could work
Funnily enough, her Super DBH addition was the second time Dimps made her a playable character. The first time was their cash-in for Dragon Ball Evolution.

Also, IIRC, she was also playable in one of the Dragon Ball Origins games, along with Eighter and Arale.