"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:16 pm

Olympian wrote:
KayDash wrote:Some Yamcha story stuff (spoilery):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0klxC9u64s
I am all for vilain trash talk and the mechanic of different cutscenes for how you play the story but unless this leads to Yamcha shutting Nappa up later,this is downright terrible and narrative assasination. It doesn`t make sense in terms of source material or even gameplay in the game. Singling Yamcha out for not being knocked out from the Waves to this is just bananas and stupid (unless again it leads to a commopauce) and is catering only to whom? Haters? Those are your buyers?

Toryama never did this. Ever.

Sorry, I lost interest.
It would be so satisfying to me if they let Yamcha win against Nappa later in the story.
Last edited by Hyena_Yamcha on Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My English is poor .

Olympian
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Olympian » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:18 pm

It has to lead to something like that for the character, otherwise is unecessary bash for the haters. I refuse to lay down Money if that`s the case.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:25 pm

As that thing was set up it looks more like a prologue for Yamcha's further character development in the story.
I wouldn't be worried this early.

Also, people liking him as a comic relief in Super is not exactly hating.

EDIT: But let's not forget, he did got humiliated a good couple of times in Dragon Ball. Like when he fought Goku the second time, and got his teeth knocked out. Or when Kami nutshotted him in the tournament. Or when Roshi eiminated him with ease. He was never ment to be a top dog, and I see nothing wrong with the story acknowledging it, and Nappa being an asshole towards him, because Nappa is an asshole. His "You can't even defeat a Saibamen!" is pretty much lifted from the saiyan saga anyway, because he said something really similar there too, iirc.
Last edited by KayDash on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:44 pm

From the videos I saw, Yamcha is actualy one of the best fighters in the game, so this kind of jokes don't really bother me.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:53 pm

You gonna actually refuse to buy a game because one character was clowned?

Like I don't know man... Smells like skewed priorities.

It'd be like me refusing to have anything to do with TMNT because everything in the last 15 years except IDW has treated Mikey like a buffoon.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:59 pm

KayDash wrote:As that thing was set up it looks more like a prologue for Yamcha's further character development in the story
I wouldn't be worried this early.
I am hopeful they won`t cater to the worst side of the fanbase. I actually believe adressing it can be good but the execution needs to be there. Well that and because it would leave a stain on a game whose development I have been enjoying so much. Far as I read, they even took out the deadbeat dad quote from Goku...at least in the translation since i have no idea if the quote was even originally so. Dragon Ball translations tend to be misleading and in-jokery.
KayDash wrote:Also, people liking him as a comic relief in Super is not exactly hating.
Gag aspects are fine, they`ve been there since day one. I like them. What I am adressing is another sort of concept, thought. The character assassination and disrespectful type. That is just unecessary and for all Toryama`s fault, he`s never done his characters this sort of deal when he was working the original Manga.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:17 pm

The S wrote:You gonna actually refuse to buy a game because one character was clowned?

Like I don't know man... Smells like skewed priorities.

It'd be like me refusing to have anything to do with TMNT because everything in the last 15 years except IDW has treated Mikey like a buffoon.
If you don`t like IDW Mikey (dunno why, colorful personality and most social adept/funny never made him a weak punk or a pushover) you still have like other comic versions, movie and cartoons flying around the same time. Likewise, it wouldn`t be "everything Dragon Ball" because neither this or Super are the whole franchise. I am merely weary of the pattern it has been seriously setting out of hand since 08 and as a fan it irks me. I thought after the Baseball ep and the side Manga it would get better and I still do - but I am obviously weary.

Here`s an example, Donattelo in the second Batman/TMNT is the root of every problem that starts the book because he`s suffering a "Krillin" because he buys in the worst figther contempt from bad guys they were figthing earlier. Of course, the book is going to end with him having his commopauce. In the 2012 cartoon, Mikey was the slacker with the potential and he finally gets his when he wins the Battle Nexus and becomes the latest champion.

I am all for the side characters to get throught their fears or issues. Yamcha asking if they need his help because he`s been semi retired is not the fear or issue at hand but to be a pushover like this with no end goal won`t ever be to my liking. Hopefully the next interactions show otherwise.
IM21 wrote:From the videos I saw, Yamcha is actualy one of the best fighters in the game, so this kind of jokes don't really bother me.
No issue whatsoever on that regard.

It does bother me if they just let it slide in story mode.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:26 pm

Just...don't play the story mode if it bothers you that much. If you wanna shut them haters up, just practice the moves, go to tournaments and prove people wrong by kicking folk's asses with Yamcha. Simple.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:31 pm

I know I've repeated this many times, but the interactions are just wonderful.

excelhedge
Beyond Newbie

Post by excelhedge » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:37 pm

Olympian wrote:
IM21 wrote:From the videos I saw, Yamcha is actualy one of the best fighters in the game, so this kind of jokes don't really bother me.
No issue whatsoever on that regard.

It does bother me if they just let it slide in story mode.
You'll more than likely need to have Yamcha as one of you main fighters for when the villains eventually turn on the heroes. especially on Nappa

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:45 pm

EXBadguy wrote:Just...don't play the story mode if it bothers you that much. If you wanna shut them haters up, just practice the moves, go to tournaments and prove people wrong by kicking folk's asses with Yamcha. Simple.
Yeah.. You can play any character and "shut" people up. That`s not the point I am making and it would be futile. It wouldn`t prove people wrong, it would just the player being really good and the character still being trash. My issue is generally the character being mistreated on actual narrative with no end goal. That`s it.

If you want to retcon him, at least go the whole way, don`t bait it.
excelhedge wrote:
You'll more than likely need to have Yamcha as one of you main fighters for when the villains eventually turn on the heroes. especially on Nappa
Now you got me thinking. Is this cutscene what happens if you play one of these villains as the main in your team?
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:02 pm

I'm seeing online Goku's victory quote to Gohan was changed for full release. It's now just "I'm proud of you Gohan"
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:12 pm

Olympian wrote:
EXBadguy wrote:Just...don't play the story mode if it bothers you that much. If you wanna shut them haters up, just practice the moves, go to tournaments and prove people wrong by kicking folk's asses with Yamcha. Simple.
Yeah.. You can play any character and "shut" people up. That`s not the point I am making and it would be futile. It wouldn`t prove people wrong, it would just the player being really good and the character still being trash. My issue is generally the character being mistreated on actual narrative with no end goal. That`s it.

If you want to retcon him, at least go the whole way, don`t bait it.
Not to defend this scene or anything, but all I can say to you is that every series has that "one person". Take Dan from Street Fighter for example, he gets disrespected all the time in the storyline. You can talk about how important Yamcha was in the original DB, but I say that he was treated as the second clown after Roshi. So I ain't surprised.

So just ignore the narrative. Hell, I'm a Vegeta fan, and I am tired of him getting beat up by all of the main villains, but I ain't letting that get to me (even though I am not getting this game day-one).
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:24 pm

The fun part about a game like this is you can make Yamcha look as cool as you like, provided you play him well. I think Sabat even mentioned that in his interview a while back, Yamcha in the story mode has lines thanking the player for making him look good.

Hell, he already looks like one of the coolest fighters in the game so it's fine. I take his line at the end of that as a way of saying, okay player, you've recruited Yamcha. Now show these idiot villains who's boss. Or don't, up to you.
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:I'm seeing online Goku's victory quote to Gohan was changed for full release. It's now just "I'm proud of you Gohan"
Thank god.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:00 pm

Olympian wrote:
KayDash wrote:Some Yamcha story stuff (spoilery):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0klxC9u64s
I am all for vilain trash talk and the mechanic of different cutscenes for how you play the story but unless this leads to Yamcha shutting Nappa up later,this is downright terrible and narrative assasination. It doesn`t make sense in terms of source material or even gameplay in the game. Singling Yamcha out for not being knocked out from the Waves to this is just bananas and stupid (unless again it leads to a commopauce) and is catering only to whom? Haters? Those are your buyers?

Toryama never did this. Ever.

Sorry, I lost interest.
Wow. I hardly find a little self aware comic relief to be that big of a deal. If anything, this only brings upside to his character - being able to laugh at yourself is a huge plus. He had no other redeeming quality otherwise and this brings a breath of fresh air to Yamcha imo.

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:46 pm

[spoiler]DO NOT ENTER[/spoiler]

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:23 pm

EXBadguy wrote:[spoiler]DO NOT ENTER[/spoiler]
Man I just want to know who the heck she is. The ending did nothing to expound upon that.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:38 pm

Wow, this is just pathetic. I wonder who is in charge of the writing of this game? A fan of DB memes? The dialogues feel just like that. Also what the heck with dead villains joinning up with the Z Fighters? What a trash fanfic story mode.
Lord Frieza wrote:There appears to be a good and evil version of her... Like with Boo!
But how this even works?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:14 am

Noah wrote:
Wow, this is just pathetic. I wonder who is in charge of the writing of this game? A fan of DB memes? The dialogues feel just like that. Also what the heck with dead villains joinning up with the Z Fighters? What a trash fanfic story mode.
Relax.

Honestly think they were just having fun with the long running Yamcha joke. It's universal at this point, so why not.

Wouldn't be surprised if the tables turned in the story. :think:
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:15 am

*One scene clip releases* "What horrible content. Horrible story mode. Fanfic garbage"

I'll take an original story over Raditz to Buu or Raditz to Buu ft. Your OC. Speaking of I hear this game has 3 story modes or something? One of which involves the player making Freeza the greatest hero ever. Just some stuff I saw on twitter, anyone know any truth to this?

Edit:
I'm also hearing online that there will be equipable skills, think like the capsules in Budokai. They can have varying effects such as health regeneration or increasing the amount of zenni earned. Tying into that is the way to unlock SSGSS Goku, Vegeta and also Android 21.
[spoiler]21 is just the story as many assumed, I'm seeing the story is 3 acts, each act is 9 chapters and there is a total of 45 story maps across all acts. Sounds like quite the hefty story mode. Vegeta is earning 300 000 zenni or beating arcade's Gravity course on hard with an A-Rank. Goku is 500 000 zenni or beating arcade's Room of Spirit and Time course on hard with an A-rank[/spoiler]
We also have the leaked trophy list
[spoiler]Trophy Triumphant trophy
Acquire all trophies.

Snake Way Sensei trophy
Arcade – Complete the Snake Way Course.

Extreme Gravity Guru trophy
Arcade – Complete the Extreme Gravity Spaceship Course.

Hyperbolic Heavyweight trophy
Arcade – Complete the Hyperbolic Time Chamber Course.

Care to Become the next God of Destruction? trophy
Arcade – Complete a course with an S Rank.

I am Goku, the Legendary Super Saiyan! trophy
Story – Complete the Super Warrior Arc.

Ho ho ho… What an Unexpected Thrill trophy
Story – Complete the Enemy Warrior Arc.

My Appetite…Is Insatiable…! trophy
Story – Complete the Android 21 Arc.

Link Level 20 trophy
Story – Raise Link Level to 20.
See Trophy “Link Level 40”.

Link Level 40 trophy
Story – Raise Link Level to 40.

Bye-Bye Buu trophy
Story – Defeat Clone Kid Buu.

Conversationalist trophy
Story – Trigger a special conversation sequence.

To Test Myself, I Too Will Fighter trophy
Local Battle – Play a match.

Ladies and Gents, We Have a Winner! trophy
Tournament – Emerge as champion.

Battle-Ready trophy
Practice – Complete all battle tutorials.

Practice Makes Perfect trophy
Practice – Perform a combo that deals 5000 or more damage in Training Mode.

Don’t Underestimate Earth! trophy
Practice – Complete 30 Different Combo Challenges.

The Power to Go Beyond the Super Saiyan! trophy
Practice – Complete 100 Different Combo Challenges.

Before Creation Comes Destruction… trophy
Practice – Complete 200 Different Combo Challenges.

Goku Isn’t the Only Super Saiyan… trophy
World Match – Play a Ranked Match

You Can’t Win This… trophy
World Match – Play 10 Ranked Matches.

This Pain Will Make Me Stronger! trophy
World Match – Play 20 Ranked Matches.

My Power Level is 530,000 trophy
World Match – Acquire 530,000BP

Casual Combatant trophy
World Match – Play 10 Casual Matches.

Arena Enthusiast trophy
Arena Match – Play a match.

Arena Expert trophy
Arena Match – Play 10 matches.

Just Looking trophy
Arena Match – Observe a match.

It’s Play Time! trophy
Arena Match – Play a Casual Match.

Lemme Play Too! trophy
Arena Match – Play 20 Casual Matches.

Stamp of Approval trophy
Replay – Use a Z Stamp while watching a Replay Channel.

Deep Pockets trophy
Acquire 5,000,000 Zeni throughout the course of playing.

Arena Aficionado trophy
Arena Match – Play 20 matches.

Set for Life trophy
Acquire 20,000,000 Zeni throughout the course of playing.

Millionaire trophy
Acquire 1,000,000 Zeni throughout the course of playing.

Yo, I’m Goku! trophy
Complete a quest tutorial.

Farewell, Tien… trophy
Complete seven or more quest tutorials.

Some interesting stuff there. Seems to confirm the existence of a tournament mode. The hardest trophies seem to be 200 combo challenges, 530 000 online BP and getting 20 million zeni. I know I'll be going for the platinum, wonder if we'll be able to play invite ranked, it'd help for boosting that BP trophy[/spoiler]
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/