"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6137
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:10 pm

Calling Xenoverse 2 "ultimate spam" even though it's not true at all as you have charge Ki to unleash ultimates and it consumes just like any other Dragon Ball game just reflects the fact that people had waited so long for a 2D game, and now that they have it, they will rage over 3D games no matter what, using no matter false claims they can come up with. :roll:

Anyways, for the story mode that is all that truly matters here: I quite enjoyed seeing characters in different situations and oh boy all the interactions never seen it before! :clap: I liked to see Cell in a more prominent role, it's like they wanted to do so in order to make it up for his absence in the main series, which proves, once again, that Dragon Ball games are far ahead of the main series. The clone thing was very generic and unnecessary, but Android 21's role was cool. Liked her base design and personality, but her transformation is quite random and it went without even being answered, why would an android have a Majin form? Overall, a good game and a nice addition to the Dragon Ball franchise and lore, as it helps Heroes and Xenoverse to add more content it and explore the yet not explored.

User avatar
KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by KayDash » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:18 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:
KayDash wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:
As well as Gero and Cooler. But why is a character having a lobby avatar a guarantee he's NOT dlc and not the other way around?
Because the DLC characters will come with their own lobby avatars.
Was this verified by an official source, or is it wishful thinking on your part? (I'm honestly asking)
Yup, it was:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
(source: https://www.gamespot.com/images/1300-3305881)

User avatar
Olympian
Regular
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Olympian » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:26 pm

KayDash wrote:For those who were dissapointed about villains verbally attacking Yamcha, and don't mind spoilers, take a look at this:
[spoiler]https://twitter.com/SonGokuX20/status/9 ... 2895502336[/spoiler]
It`s in the last video I posted but as noted it would be good if in the in-story they threw him a bone like they do with the other characters who also get roasted, Actually, 90% of the roster does, that`s not the issue. Nappa being a trash talker is perfectly in character. It is the lack of a Yamcha comeback in narrative so far that is the problem. Tenshinhan and Buu and Piccolo and Gohan also get demeaning trash talk from villains and even allies (like Vegeta, obviously) but look at Tenshinhan`s and Cell interaction, the later even conceeds that his techniques are good and they are more alike than he cares to admit. Again, it`s nothing wrong, Tenshinhan deserves that.

Yamcha is relatable as hell but to a fault because there`s no bone to the guy. "They" tend to focus on the Saibaman thing and not on stuff he`s done when helping the others. Would it hurt a comeback to Nappa telling him to turn Oozaru if it helped him because he`s beaten it before? No, but he`s chill. Too chill.

Mind you I`m playing the game anyway but something like that would be so easy to balance casuals and fanbase alike.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1052
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:56 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Nickolaidas » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:02 pm

KayDash wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:
KayDash wrote: Because the DLC characters will come with their own lobby avatars.
Was this verified by an official source, or is it wishful thinking on your part? (I'm honestly asking)
Yup, it was:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
(source: https://www.gamespot.com/images/1300-3305881)
Thanks!

Man, I *so* don't want them to fuck the DLC up. I don't want to see a Goku and Vegeta wankfest (Bases, Bardock, Vegito) and instead focus on more original characters (Gero, Janemba, Dabura, Jiren, Broly, Kefla).

User avatar
Night Owl
Newbie
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:57 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Night Owl » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:04 pm

Grimlock wrote:Calling Xenoverse 2 "ultimate spam" even though it's not true at all as you have charge Ki to unleash ultimates and it consumes just like any other Dragon Ball game just reflects the fact that people had waited so long for a 2D game, and now that they have it, they will rage over 3D games no matter what, using no matter false claims they can come up with. :roll:
Who behaves like this? Surely any DB fan worth their salt is pleased that there is finally a first-rate game to attribute to the series, irrespective of whether or not it is 2D/3D? :wtf:
"You know it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile?"
"...you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone?"

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1052
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:56 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Nickolaidas » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:15 pm

Night Owl wrote:
Grimlock wrote:Calling Xenoverse 2 "ultimate spam" even though it's not true at all as you have charge Ki to unleash ultimates and it consumes just like any other Dragon Ball game just reflects the fact that people had waited so long for a 2D game, and now that they have it, they will rage over 3D games no matter what, using no matter false claims they can come up with. :roll:
Who behaves like this? Surely any DB fan worth their salt is pleased that there is finally a first-rate game to attribute to the series, irrespective of whether or not it is 2D/3D? :wtf:
Oh you have NO idea.

This is almost like the fanwars that are waged daily between Resident Evil 1-3 fans and Resident Evil 4-6 fans and Resident Evil 7 fans. They are different genres belonging to the same franchise and people who prefer a genre over the other are quick to attack those who support the other genre. Although, in their defense, a genre prevailing in RE means that the other genres get no representation. Dragon Ball doesn't have that problem since both Xenoverse and FIghterZ are made by different developers and one game isn't c#*kblocking the other.

precita
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5470
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by precita » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:17 pm

Was the story mode supposed to be a parody? Every character was out of character and spouting memes like you've seen on the internet the last 15 years.

Cell is now a parody of himself.

User avatar
Olympian
Regular
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Olympian » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:29 pm

The English dub is certainly a rostarama. This is like TFS Cell all over again.

That said, notice the difference in tone from the Japaneze dialogue and the dub, right down to the victory quotes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yVY5c0IpAs

Not a world of difference but yeah, no cigar. I`m skipping the English dub altogether. I always thought Sabat and co were too enamorated at large with the parody aspect in their work and I just don`t share the same love. Even when it`s Vegeta getting his back broken.
Last edited by Olympian on Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10558
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:33 pm

precita wrote:Was the story mode supposed to be a parody? Every character was out of character and spouting memes like you've seen on the internet the last 15 years.

Cell is now a parody of himself.
It's an English dub thing. The Super dub suffers from the same problem.

User avatar
Olympian
Regular
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Olympian » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:37 pm

I`m still laughing at the way the "Whew I won after all" shacky voice from the Englsh dub sounds :lolno:

Fvcks sake.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

User avatar
IM21
Banned
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:45 am
Location: Hell

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by IM21 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:39 pm

Whoever was responsible for the English dub should have just given the job to TFS.... even they wouldn't make it that stupid.

User avatar
Olympian
Regular
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Olympian » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:48 pm

It`s weird because I have seen a few defending i on Youtube and Gamefaqs. Dragonball was always self-aware to an extent and gag elementary but never a straight meme parody like TFS and here, the English dub does seem to get the same vibe in the way they deliberately change the tone in dialogue just to "get there".

It will be interesting playing the entire story mode with all the characters with the dub off. I`m already betting I`ll be instantly better pleased.
Last edited by Olympian on Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10558
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:49 pm

Olympian wrote:It will be interesting playing the entire story mode with all the characters with the dub off. I`m already betting I`ll be instantly better pleased.
Too bad the subs just reiterate what the English dub says even if the Japanese voice actors are saying something almost completely different.

User avatar
BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:06 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by BrolyKale » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:51 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:
KayDash wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:
Was this verified by an official source, or is it wishful thinking on your part? (I'm honestly asking)
Yup, it was:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
(source: https://www.gamespot.com/images/1300-3305881)
Thanks!

Man, I *so* don't want them to fuck the DLC up. I don't want to see a Goku and Vegeta wankfest (Bases, Bardock, Vegito) and instead focus on more original characters (Gero, Janemba, Dabura, Jiren, Broly, Kefla).
I so agree with you! I hope they won't just add SSJ4 Goku/Vegeta, Goku UI,... Jiren, Broly, Kefla, Janemba, Dabura, Videl, even Ribrianne with her two comrades can be fun to play.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

User avatar
Olympian
Regular
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Olympian » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:52 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Olympian wrote:It will be interesting playing the entire story mode with all the characters with the dub off. I`m already betting I`ll be instantly better pleased.
Too bad the subs just reiterate what the English dub says even if the Japanese voice actors are saying something almost completely different.

Is that only in story mode? Because in the video I posted showcasing Yamcha`s Dramatic Finisher on Nappa, you have the two side by side to compare and there is a difference.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

User avatar
IM21
Banned
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:45 am
Location: Hell

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by IM21 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:58 pm

Olympian wrote:
Is that only in story mode? Because in the video I posted showcasing Yamcha`s Dramatic Finisher on Nappa, you have the two side by side to compare and there is a difference.
the only thing that is different is the Nappa speech... I hope there are more changes in the story.

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6137
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:59 pm

Night Owl wrote:Who behaves like this? Surely any DB fan worth their salt is pleased that there is finally a first-rate game to attribute to the series, irrespective of whether or not it is 2D/3D? :wtf:
Nickolaidas brought up a perfect example of behavior like this. Whenever a new thing changes what was established for so much time, there will be war, and then when a game that comes back to the "origins" is released, the older "fans" tend to use their new beloved game to hate even more of the past ones that changed what they liked about the series. In this case, since we hadn't any 2D Dragon Ball game in such a long time, now that we have it, its fans will rage even more on 3D games, which were the ones massively released over the course of the last years.

It's not Dragon Ball FighterZ itself, any major 2D Dragon Ball game due to be released these days will trigger a flamewar against 3D games.

User avatar
Neo-Makaiōshin
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1988
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:31 pm
Location: Argentina
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:08 pm

Does the game have multilanguage options (outside of audio)?
Lore is NOT story, and it never was, and you should stop spreading this nonsense.
Content is NOT substance.
Bunch of characters doing stuff do NOT make an esemble cast.
Secondary characters are secondary, they do NOT deserve or are entitled to having more screen time.
Fandom Lacks Critical Thinking and is Easily Impressionable with Surface Level Content.

User avatar
Olympian
Regular
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Olympian » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:13 pm

IM21 wrote:
Olympian wrote:
Is that only in story mode? Because in the video I posted showcasing Yamcha`s Dramatic Finisher on Nappa, you have the two side by side to compare and there is a difference.
the only thing that is different is the Nappa speech... I hope there are more changes in the story.
Yamcha`s`s victory quote is totally different.

In both the English dub and sub he sounds and talks like he can`t believe he actually won a fight whereas in the Japaneze VA/ sub he mentions that despite not being as active a figther he hasn`t forgotten the Turtle teachings in himself and that Nappa can`t compete with that.

That is what you folks read as well, right? I`m not suffering from a case of Mandalla effect, am I :lol:
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

User avatar
IM21
Banned
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:45 am
Location: Hell

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by IM21 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:17 pm

Olympian wrote:
In both the English dub and sub he sounds and talks like he can`t believe he actually won a fight whereas in the Japaneze VA/ sub he mentions that despite not being as active a figther he hasn`t forgotten the Turtle teachings in himself and that Nappa can`t compete with that.

That is what you folks read as well, right? I`m not suffering from a case of Mandalla effect, am I :lol:
Ohh, I'm sorry... I thought you were talking just about the in-game talking... Yea the victory talks are different, but the characters have multiple ones.

Post Reply