"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:31 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Yeah I gotta agree with some people concerning he interaction dialogue, it feels too memey and self aware for it's own good.
On the other hand, I have to say I don't really mind it with characters like Cell. It's an improvement over his mostly boring canon counterpart. Freeza seems to be more akin to his ToP counterpart too (surprisingly, considering the game was definitely made before he was 'revived') rather than retain his RF personality.

Outside of Yamcha, other characters who got the short-end of the stick are Nappa and Gotenks, though I'm glad SOMEONE finally decided to (indirectly) call out Toriyama on his reluctance to use Goten and Trunks. "Why was it okay for us to fight Boo but this time we can't?" :lol: Now if only they had this attitude in Super arcs.

Olympian
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Olympian » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:38 pm

In the English dub almost every chapter interactions I have seen between characters will feature a roast. Piccolo gets called inferior (race) every now and again, Gohan gets called soft and "in-training" by nearly everyone (Goku, Piccolo and vegeta) Nappa blasts at everyone and they all react to him with the same level of impatience( there`s one with Yamcha where`s he is trying to be chill but ends the chapter saying something like "maybe it`s time I`ll make you listen!" and another with Ten when Nappa is basically being given the hand (hand, not the finger, that should have been Yamcha`s comeback) ) Buu is called stupid and so on.

Like you said, it works for villains. In Wrestling terms, they`re supposed to make you love hating them.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:42 pm

Doctor. wrote:Jesus, Yamcha was treated like shit in this game.
As a matter of fact, he asked for that one, saying that Kami former role was a guardian didn't meant much.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:Edit: Shit, I wasted my 10,000th post for this. Welp.
Congratulations.
Doctor. wrote:I'm glad SOMEONE finally decided to (indirectly) call out Toriyama on his reluctance to use Goten and Trunks. "Why was it okay for us to fight Boo but this time we can't?" :lol: Now if only they had this attitude in Super arcs.
Love that! The only thing that I dislike is how Freeza is treated to be way above Gotenks, we get it this story is after all the 'prodigy 4 months training' BS, but still feels off to me.
Last edited by Noah on Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:43 pm

Olympian wrote:In the English dub almost every chapter interactions I have seen between characters will feature a roast. Piccolo gets called inferior (race) every now and again, Gohan gets called soft and "in-training" by nearly everyone (Goku, Piccolo and vegeta) Nappa blasts at everyone and they all react to him with the same level of impatience( there`s one with Yamcha where`s he is trying to be chill but ends the chapter saying something like "maybe it`s time I`ll make you listen!" and another with Ten when Nappa is basically being given the hand (hand, not the finger, that should have been Yamcha`s comeback) ) Buu is called stupid and so on.

Like you said, it works for villains. In Wrestling terms, they`re supposed to make you love hating them.
The English dub may tweak some of the lines a bit to suit the lipflaps more but the gist of it is still the same in Japanese (case in point: the above clip with Gotenks where the subs use the English dub as reference even though some of the lines being said are slightly different). You'll disappoint yourself if you go into the game expecting the interactions to be drastically different between the two languages.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:44 pm

TheMikado wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Yeah I gotta agree with some people concerning he interaction dialogue, it feels too memey and self aware for it's own good.
Doctor. wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:
You mean giving him a sense of humor?
I wouldn't say that Yamcha having no self-esteem in this game is giving him a sense of humor. There's even a scene where he's surprised there's a clone of him and that he's strong enough to be useful to the enemy. C'mon, I don't even like the guy, but jeez.
Yeah that Yamcha burn, coming from Piccolo who doesn't understand romantic relationships was kinda painful. Did Piccolo or anyone else for that matter ever say something like that in the manga/anime? Or are the writers scripting off of the tone of TFS and 4chan memes?

As a side not 21s buu form looks unbelievably amazing. Makes me wish other universes had Buu counterparts to fight.
Nope never, but that dialogue rigtht there about Yamcha and his clone seems a good example of the English dub pushing that sort of familiar western tone. You can tell it`s Sabat and co by a mile.
Doctor. wrote: The English dub may tweak some of the lines a bit to suit the lipflaps more but the gist of it is still the same in Japanese (case in point: the above clip with Gotenks where the subs use the English dub as reference even though some of the lines being said are slightly different). You'll disappoint yourself if you go into the game expecting the interactions to be drastically different between the two languages.
I don`t believe it`s an entirely different content, I believe the English dub pushes the tone for more in-jokes than the transcription shows.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:52 pm

It hurts to see memes of that but somehow it hurts even more seeing someone say it to his face.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:54 pm

Michsi wrote:
I've seen some Japanese version of these clips pop up and they seem to be pretty identical where wording is concerned, but I guess the English version seems a tad bit more sardonic.

But I genuinely mean that people are exaggerating with the word. I mean, there is a clip about Goku talking to Tien about what a great babysitter Piccolo is and apparently that counts as ROASTING too.
Okay, this is interesting and what I want to see more of. Any chance you could share any japaneze versions of story chapters. Are they on Youtube?
sintzu wrote:
It hurts to see memes of that but somehow it hurts even more seeing someone say it to his face.
Funnily enough I didn`t found it among the worst. The praising to Kami at the end and the smile does work as a fast funny but it works mostly because Yamcha has trained under him in the past. Piccolo`s remark doesn`t, because he has zero concept in understand romantic interactions.

This should have ended with Piccolo going "humft!" at the end. I`d be curious to see how the line reads in the Japaneze va.
Last edited by Olympian on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:16 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAcooXFPwJ0

Tenshinhan getting some respect. I am happy for that at least :clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD_qp8LsKCQ

Truly, Gohan doesn`t have it easy on some interactions either.
Last edited by Olympian on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:38 pm

It looks like Android No.21 is available for early unlock in the FighterZ Season Pass.
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:54 pm

Got my copy today! Time to have some fun. :D
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:13 pm

Why can't we have characters like Android 21 (or even Towa) in the anime? We need more great female characters

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:15 pm

sintzu wrote:
I'm not seeing the big deal. Yamcha was annoying Piccolo with his constant talking and down talked the former guardian thing. They didn't even animate a reaction for Yamcha to Piccolo saying that (unless that's later).

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:44 pm

Doctor. wrote:
On the other hand, I have to say I don't really mind it with characters like Cell. It's an improvement over his mostly boring canon counterpart. Freeza seems to be more akin to his ToP counterpart too (surprisingly, considering the game was definitely made before he was 'revived') rather than retain his RF personality.

Outside of Yamcha, other characters who got the short-end of the stick are Nappa and Gotenks, though I'm glad SOMEONE finally decided to (indirectly) call out Toriyama on his reluctance to use Goten and Trunks. "Why was it okay for us to fight Boo but this time we can't?" :lol: Now if only they had this attitude in Super arcs.
Cell is a double edged sword, he's got way more personality then Toriyama himself ever gave it to him but a lot of it feels like stuff I'd see from TFS but dialed back a bit. Maybe it's because of how the voice actor really emphasizes him as a smug prick a lot that draws the comparison, I'd probably never make the distinction for the JPN voice actor.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:07 pm

dario03 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
I'm not seeing the big deal. Yamcha was annoying Piccolo with his constant talking and down talked the former guardian thing. They didn't even animate a reaction for Yamcha to Piccolo saying that (unless that's later).
I agree this isn`t a big one but I think the big picture is that Yamcha doesn`t have a "clean roast" in the scenes so far. If you look at reactions and commnents about this cut the perception is that Piccolo burned him badly.

Someone said perception is everything.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:35 pm

Has it been posted anywhere what the two pre-order exclusive lobby avatars are?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:41 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Has it been posted anywhere what the two pre-order exclusive lobby avatars are?
I believe it's SSB Goku and Vegeta.
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:47 pm

Sshadow5001 wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:Has it been posted anywhere what the two pre-order exclusive lobby avatars are?
I believe it's SSB Goku and Vegeta.
Bwah, really? I figured every playable character had one in the game by default, and since they're pre-order early unlock rather than flat out exclusive...that's disappointing if that's all it is.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:49 pm

Nappa says it's very hard to become a Super Saiyan, and Cell tells Nappa there's a "Super Saiyan bargain sale going around these days" when Nappa complains he can't go Super Saiyan. :lol:

I swear they pulled that line off the internet.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:06 pm

There`s another cut where [spoiler]21 turns Nappa into candy[/spoiler] and measures the taste on a 24 in 100 sounding dissapointed.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:27 pm

Wow, all these unique character interactions really really make me want to get this game. I want to but I swore of ARC system games. They make their fighters too technical and ultimately I can't get the full experience and my enjoyment drops. Bu..but the interactions are sooo good.