"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
emperior
I Live Here
Posts: 4038
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:52 pm
Location: Dragon World
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by emperior » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:06 am

Most interesting part of the leak was the seemingly in-production action RPG OG Dragon Ball game. I honestly believe the leak because this information is so unexpected and out of nowhere no one would have ever added it if they were lying. I would be incredibly happy if we ever got a game similar to Breath of the Wild but set in the Dragon World.

DLC characters for Season Pass 2 sound a little underwhelming. As much as I like Gogeta and how he was portrayed to have a flamboyant fighting style in all the Dragon Ball games (and I expect him to be too in FighterZ) I feel like they are adding way too much of Goku and Vegeta. Tapion and Zarbon are odd choices too, and not exactly fan favorites, and adding Gogeta without having Janemba too feels like such a waste. Videl is also quite uninteresting for me, and I hope it will actually be Caulifla w/Kale and not the other way round.
Cabba is definitely an interesting addition and I like him, and as for Raditz he's yet another Saiyan and yet another character wearing Freeza army armor, I hope that if he makes it in they will at least add a dramatic finish with Piccolo and Goku killing him.
Not having Toppo or the Trio de Dangers feels like a missed opportunity imo, and we aren't getting a single GT character, which is a shame because getting SSJ4 Gogeta would be cool for a change, and Omega Shenron would be cool as well.
As for UI Goku and Jiren, they are probably saving them for a possible sequel of the game, along with new characters we may see in the next movie.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

User avatar
LightBing
I Live Here
Posts: 3498
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by LightBing » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:19 am

Cold Skin wrote:
LightBing wrote:
Cold Skin wrote:The announcement of a big, free content update soon is very exciting!
My bet is on new Dramatic Openings and Dramatic Finishes and possibly new colors (including manga colors based on the Full Color Edition).

If you don't know, it seems the message on the scan goes as such: "Something else in addition to the new DLC characters?! Another big update, free of charge, is already planned!!"
I hope this update isn't the patches to correct the online issues. A new stage would be nice.

The scan for reference: http://www.shonengamez.com/2018/02/23/b ... onen-jump/
Based on the way it is announced, I would say it's absolutely not the online corrections: it would be terribly awkward from them to say "and to go with the new characters you must pay for, we also have something entirely free coming for everyone... Corrections for our online problems!".

People would be like "well, duh, it's about correcting problems that shouldn't have been here in the base game, of course it's free and for everyone, that's the least you can do!".

So judging by that, I want to think it's really new content, but it's not characters, obviously.
New stages? New interactions scenes in the story? New avatars? (that one would be a bit disappointing for me) New Dramatic Finishes? New packs of colors?
Everything's possible! (except characters, of course)
But my own personal bet is on new Dramatic scenes (there seemed to a lot of much more important, epic scenes to add when you think that some minor scenes like Krilin blasting the Saibaimen were included) or new color schemes (easy kind of "gift to everyone" they can come up with, plus manga colors are requested by a certain number of people).
You're probably right. I was being a little too negative. New Dramatic Openings/Finishes would be nice I just hope they make them easier.

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 14032
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:31 pm

So is the Japanese voices faithful to the English text in the game? I can't help to feel that some of the dialogue in Japanese does not match up at times.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

Kataphrut
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1517
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:14 pm

At this point, I ain't paying any mind to leaks. The first one *might* have predicted the bases, but everything else was unconfirmed. Anyone can guess Bardock and Broly would be early choices, but that's it.

I just got back to the game after a lengthy hiatus, man the online scene has run away from me. I've well and truly fallen below 50% win/loss ratio and only on Saiyan rank. I might have to give up on Krillin, much as I like him, unfortunately he just doesn't cut it in this world of 16s, Cells and Goku Blacks.

I did get to play one of those 3v3 ring matches where everybody plays a character. That was fun.

User avatar
LightBing
I Live Here
Posts: 3498
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by LightBing » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:31 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:So is the Japanese voices faithful to the English text in the game? I can't help to feel that some of the dialogue in Japanese does not match up at times.
I guess you meant if the English translations are faithful. I'm almost at the middle of the story, there's definitely meddling. Probably not storyline changing but for whatever reason the translation found it necessary to make "jokes". For example Cell says "If it isn't Goku and Kuririn", translation "If it isn't Goku and his lapdog."

User avatar
Lightdasher
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:09 pm
Location: South Carolina, USA

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lightdasher » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:35 pm

Lunaar wrote:Bardock's intro is a proper reference to his source material. A callback to the lives that were lost before he dons the headband. Short, sweet and drenched in Bardock.

Broly's intro is... "hey guys, comin at ya with some Dragon Ball Fighter Zee footage of my man Brawly yeeeeeuh" - really, though? He just... skates in, already in big boy mode? Broly arguably, visually, has one of the most iconic transformations of the franchise - and he just pops in here like he's late for class. I can practically see the slice of bread hanging from his mouth. It's the first legitimately disappointing intro I've seen. :problem:
Haha, what a great way to put it! I think everyone's already pointed out the disappointment in Broly's intro, and I should save further judgement for when more can be seen, but Broly's footage so far reinforces to me what I've been thinking about Broly in the series' entirety for some time now: the older DragonBall becomes, the more Broly is robbed of what made him more than just a mindless, massive saiyan with a unique form that only spouts "KAKOROT!!!" over and over. That's what I was seeing at least somewhat in the Xenoverse series as well, which I think is a shame since there's plenty of character and originality to take from him in the original movie (even if it's not in abundance).

Unrelated to the intros, I wanted to ask a general question to everyone still playing the game: how is it holding up now? Up to the game's release, it was hard to not hear about it, and nearly everyone I knew was playing it from release day to a few weeks after. Since then, the hype seems to have died down considerably. I know it's far from dead, but I get the feeling a lot of more casual players left due to the frustration of dealing with pro teams, and I've been told by a few players with more history in general fighting games that this game feels a little too lax in terms of its mechanics (such as autocombos being quite powerful on their own, the dash being perhaps too effective, not many ultimates having great synergy, etc). Thoughts from those here?
"Set a good example, represent what you think the community should be, and just be awesome." -VegettoEX, 2017.

User avatar
dario03
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1341
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:36 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by dario03 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:09 pm

Lightdasher wrote:
Unrelated to the intros, I wanted to ask a general question to everyone still playing the game: how is it holding up now? Up to the game's release, it was hard to not hear about it, and nearly everyone I knew was playing it from release day to a few weeks after. Since then, the hype seems to have died down considerably. I know it's far from dead, but I get the feeling a lot of more casual players left due to the frustration of dealing with pro teams, and I've been told by a few players with more history in general fighting games that this game feels a little too lax in terms of its mechanics (such as autocombos being quite powerful on their own, the dash being perhaps too effective, not many ultimates having great synergy, etc). Thoughts from those here?
Auto combos are pretty strong damage wise, but they don't build much meter. Its something like 3700dmg with a level one super and you only build ~.33 bars. Compared to a simple bnb combo which would be around 4500dmg and ~.9bars. So it kind of depends on what level you are playing at. Pure casual, then auto combos might be better since if you drop the bnb then your damage might be much lower. But the bnb combos aren't that hard so if you spend any time in practice you should be able to do them fairly often, and even if you drop it here or there its fine because of the extra damage and meter potential. Online also factors in some too, its easier to drop your combos if the game starts lagging where as the connection would have to insane in order to drop an auto combo.
Super dash is very risky, if you land it then its great, if you get read and the down heavy you, then you can take a lot of damage.
Synergy of ultimates seem fine to me, if anything I think theres to much since you can go lvl 1 to lvl 1 to lvl 3 pretty easy if you have the bar and just land any combo.

More mechanics would be nice. Something like a combo breaker, or have combos that lean more toward bar building instead of damage, instead of the current system that seems to just be both. Or something that lead to more setups, or drain your opponents meter, or affect their assists. Since that's my biggest issue with a lot of fighter games, all these combos but a lot of them are just for show and basically do the same thing. Just learn some bnb and optimal combos, then just try to get an opening to do them. Maybe DBFZ2 will come out soon with some stuff like that, or a patch like Street Fighter V just got that added a couple of things.
But over all I think its a fun game. And again, it all comes down to the skill level. I've watch some high skill matches on youtube and the game is pretty good for a spectator fighting game.
Last edited by dario03 on Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Lightdasher
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:09 pm
Location: South Carolina, USA

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lightdasher » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:09 pm

Thanks for the input, dario. Admittedly, the best way to gauge the game, its playerbase, and its standing would be to play it for myself. However, I've decided to skip out on it, opting instead to enjoy friends stream it and whatnot, though I do like to check how it's doing just because it's a DragonBall game.

The mechanics ideas you've stated are pretty interesting.. My time in traditional fighting games is at least somewhat minimal -- with most of my time in the genre going to just Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 -- but varying combos is definitely neat. If Babidi were added, I imagine he would specialize in the meter drain. That's why I'm not opposed to more niche characters being added. Actually, as long as they bring something new, I'd prefer it; we can nearly always expect popular characters (Kefla, Vegito, Rosé, etc) in the next mainstream DragonBall game afterall. I'd originally hoped Goten and Trunks would be added as a single character slot where the two would fight in tandem, similar to how they fought Bio-Broly, but those hopes sank the moment I saw news of a Gotenks trailer. xD I'm not very familiar with ArcSys in particular, but it's very common for fighting games to get completely new iterations instead of just updates, so you could be proven right. Time will tell.
"Set a good example, represent what you think the community should be, and just be awesome." -VegettoEX, 2017.

User avatar
LightBing
I Live Here
Posts: 3498
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by LightBing » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:18 pm

Winter Brawl is going on right now. Biggest FighterZ tournament yet.
There's an inside joke going own that Teen Gohan is banned. That's because there's a lot of Cells and he would be his counter. :lol: Oh and Gohan is supposedly one of the worst characters in the game.

Funnily enough in the current match there's a Teen Gohan against a Cell and we got the Dramatic Start. It was pretty hype.

https://www.twitch.tv/bifuteki

User avatar
dario03
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1341
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:36 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by dario03 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:35 pm

LightBing wrote:Winter Brawl is going on right now. Biggest FighterZ tournament yet.
There's an inside joke going own that Teen Gohan is banned. That's because there's a lot of Cells and he would be his counter. :lol: Oh and Gohan is supposedly one of the worst characters in the game.

Funnily enough in the current match there's a Teen Gohan against a Cell and we got the Dramatic Start. It was pretty hype.

https://www.twitch.tv/bifuteki
Funny part is currently most seem to think Adult Gohan is one of the best and Teen Gohan is one of the worse. Actually the list I've been watching has them listed number one and dead last. I haven't used Teen Gohan but I hear he has good damage but no good way of getting in and no reach. Adult Gohan is fast, good range, full screen teleport overhead cross up, it makes sense that hes listed high. Though 16 has been climbing the list and I think he will be listed at the top soon.

User avatar
LightBing
I Live Here
Posts: 3498
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by LightBing » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:58 pm

dario03 wrote:
LightBing wrote:Winter Brawl is going on right now. Biggest FighterZ tournament yet.
There's an inside joke going own that Teen Gohan is banned. That's because there's a lot of Cells and he would be his counter. :lol: Oh and Gohan is supposedly one of the worst characters in the game.

Funnily enough in the current match there's a Teen Gohan against a Cell and we got the Dramatic Start. It was pretty hype.

https://www.twitch.tv/bifuteki
Funny part is currently most seem to think Adult Gohan is one of the best and Teen Gohan is one of the worse. Actually the list I've been watching has them listed number one and dead last. I haven't used Teen Gohan but I hear he has good damage but no good way of getting in and no reach. Adult Gohan is fast, good range, full screen teleport overhead cross up, it makes sense that hes listed high. Though 16 has been climbing the list and I think he will be listed at the top soon.
Here's the tier list from one of the best if not the best FighterZ player. https://twitter.com/SonicFox5000/status ... 1852787714

Some good characters seem pretty obvious like Cell and #16. However I expect some characters to get moved up or down with more time. There's still a lot to be explored.

User avatar
dario03
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1341
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:36 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by dario03 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:43 pm

LightBing wrote:
dario03 wrote:
LightBing wrote:Winter Brawl is going on right now. Biggest FighterZ tournament yet.
There's an inside joke going own that Teen Gohan is banned. That's because there's a lot of Cells and he would be his counter. :lol: Oh and Gohan is supposedly one of the worst characters in the game.

Funnily enough in the current match there's a Teen Gohan against a Cell and we got the Dramatic Start. It was pretty hype.

https://www.twitch.tv/bifuteki
Funny part is currently most seem to think Adult Gohan is one of the best and Teen Gohan is one of the worse. Actually the list I've been watching has them listed number one and dead last. I haven't used Teen Gohan but I hear he has good damage but no good way of getting in and no reach. Adult Gohan is fast, good range, full screen teleport overhead cross up, it makes sense that hes listed high. Though 16 has been climbing the list and I think he will be listed at the top soon.
Here's the tier list from one of the best if not the best FighterZ player. https://twitter.com/SonicFox5000/status ... 1852787714

Some good characters seem pretty obvious like Cell and #16. However I expect some characters to get moved up or down with more time. There's still a lot to be explored.
Yeah, I've seen his. Some what early still but seems like most agree that 16 is really good, then Cell and Adult Gohan, then Black, Hit, and Kid Buu being close to or equal to Cell and Adult Gohan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfDeMJzujKs From pro Smash player Leffen who has been as high as #1 for PC and top 5 on PS4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk47ooS2hZ8 Jtails who has been in the top 10 on PC.

I think the biggest changes could come if players discover actual new mechanics. Things that weren't really planned to be a part of the game or at least are not obvious, but can be done.

User avatar
AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1713
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:24 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:38 pm

Lightdasher wrote:Unrelated to the intros, I wanted to ask a general question to everyone still playing the game: how is it holding up now? Up to the game's release, it was hard to not hear about it, and nearly everyone I knew was playing it from release day to a few weeks after. Since then, the hype seems to have died down considerably. I know it's far from dead, but I get the feeling a lot of more casual players left due to the frustration of dealing with pro teams, and I've been told by a few players with more history in general fighting games that this game feels a little too lax in terms of its mechanics (such as autocombos being quite powerful on their own, the dash being perhaps too effective, not many ultimates having great synergy, etc). Thoughts from those here?
As dario03 stated there's a definite nerf damage wise for raw auto combos as compared to manual ones. The only real advantage people have found is that they're a good one to extend combos. For example, they can used to follow up a jump cancel after a down heavy attack in the air even if you've already used your follow up already that would normally follow a heavy.

And as far as hype, I'd say there's a big number of very casual players who have left. It was inevitable that the player base would wind down especially for arguably one of the biggest fighters in recent history. However, the player base is still very healthy. And tournament wise it's just getting started. The already mentioned Winter Brawl actually had FighterZ as its highest entrance number despite having to pay to enter. That's pretty incredible.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

User avatar
Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:50 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:20 am

Cold Skin wrote:So judging by that, I want to think it's really new content, but it's not characters, obviously.
New stages? New interactions scenes in the story? New avatars? (that one would be a bit disappointing for me) New Dramatic Finishes? New packs of colors?
Everything's possible! (except characters, of course)
3 new modes: Z League, Z Union and Raid Boss, I believe. A lot of references to these modes was found In resource files of the game. Such as ingame text, icons and unused soundtrack.

Kataphrut
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1517
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:51 am

16's armoured forward heavy has me terrified for what will happen when Broly is unleashed on the metagame. Yes, 16 being a powerful grappler without the usual weaknesses of a grappler is likely what makes him high-tier, but I reckon the armoured heavies is what pushes him into the top of the crop. Imagine fighting someone whose whole deal is that.

I'm just bitter because I play Nappa, who's largely considered bottom tier, and I feel like he should have something like that. He has one armoued special, which is alright, but it isn't an instant combo opener the way 16's armoured heavy is.

At the moment, 16 is one of only two characters that makes me nervous every time I go up against him. The other one is SSB Goku. It's so hard for me to find purchase on them strategically. Mind you, a 16 is dangerous even in the hands of a novice (press circle to win), while a Blue Goku takes a certain amount of skill. I think that's what frightens me, 16, Cell and Black are easy enough for a novice to use, and therefore can be fought with the necessary skill level. Whereas nobody uses Blue Goku unless they know what they're doing.

MajinVegetaSSj6
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:56 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by MajinVegetaSSj6 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:59 am

Cant wait for Broly and Bardock! I really love this game, hope they add more single player stuff. Vegeta and Black are my favorite, but i really find Hit a Nice one too.

User avatar
Xehanort
Newbie
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:34 am
Location: Post-apocalyptic Future
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Xehanort » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:31 am

I DID IT GUYS!! HOLY SHIT I DID IT, I GOT THE "My Power Level is over 530,000" TROPHY!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSS!!! :mrgreen:

Ok, now onto the Zeni trophies...they're not challenging at all, but they're so...boooring :yawn:
"I think it's only fair that I should warn you guys. You dont stand a chance against me.", Future Trunks

Nevaeh
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:39 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Nevaeh » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:44 am

2 DLC leaks and no mention of a new stage :|

User avatar
ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1365
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:40 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:03 pm

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:So rumour is going around from a supposed Bandai Namco employee plans have started for a Season Pass 2. So far they've only decided on the characters. Again this is just a rumour so take it with a grain of salt.
The packs are said to be:
Tapion and Gogeta
Roshi and Videl with Great Saiyaman
Raditz and Zarbon
Cabba and Kale with Caulifla.

Not bad I guess. I like Tapion, Roshi, Videl, Raditz and Kale/Caulfila. But I don't care for Zarbon or Cabba. Gogeta I think is fair if Vegetto is in too.
Link to actual post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments ... scvi_dbfz/


I'm still confused about Tapion being in and NOT JANEMBA?!?!
If there is any DBZ character with gameplay potential, its Janemba.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

User avatar
jeffbr92
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1349
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:49 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:51 pm

Nevaeh wrote:2 DLC leaks and no mention of a new stage :|
Which one would you like?
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Post Reply