"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:53 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:- EVO 2018 Grand Finals SonicFox vs GO1-

SonicFox was one of my favourite players but I lost all the respect I had for him because of what he did in the finals to GO1.

That wasn't just a side switch. Sonic is a fantastic player, but his mind games went too far this time. Over 5 minutes just for switch sides, really?! It took longer than it should be and it was an authentic momentum killer for GO1 after that 3-0. I actually feel bad for GO1. He came out from the losers bracket on-fire and then he was forced to cool down. That was ridiculous.
The side switch was a fair play, it wasn't Fox's fault the officials took so long to decide to grant it or not. Go1 was prepared to switch sides but the officials just couldn't make up their mind.
That's not what happened. GO1 didn't want to switch. He wanted to keep playing like they were and that's why the staff had to resort to coin flipping.
The real issue here was never being the player 1 or player 2, being on the left or on the right, but the bullshit mind games behind that break that took over 5 minutes. SonicFox knew the staff had to translate everything to GO1 and that would give him time to ice GO1 who was on-fire and compose himself after that 3-0.

GO1 is a pro gamer, but clearly an emotional one and Sonic took advantage of that in a dirty way.
It was a smart move from him but it's also a shitty way to win, especially in EVO - The biggest fighting game tournament of the year.

Their fights were always fair and square and it's shame to see this is how everything ended.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:07 am

Brodes wrote:Do you even know what 'means jack', well, means? Also, I'm going to let you know we use mate in Australia, and it has nothing to do with pirates, for our friends and we use mate with a different inflection as a warning. Thanks for letting me know I don't need to interact with you in the future.
It means what someone just said means nothing; that it's bullshit; that it's nonsense.

"I haven't seen the movies so I didn't know Cooler had a retractable face mask!"
"WHAT? Oh my god. Your ignorance is painful. Why haven't you seen them?"
"Because I'm only interested in Toriyama's vision. I was just surprised, though; I've seen Cooler everywhere and he's never had his face mask down!"
"That doesn't mean jack. You look at fanart but won't look at movies?"

How could me stating I know Cooler from how he's portrayed in official and unofficial works to explain my lack of awareness about his face mask "mean jack"? Your reply made no sense and it was hostile to boot. If you can't see it's all of you being extremely aggressive and rude for no reason then it's for the best you don't interact with me. I won't passively take it.
Last edited by Simere on Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:13 am

Nickolaidas wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:Saw the trailer for Cooler...He almost seemed like a clone of Freeza, and if that's the case I'm going to be very disappointed.
Gil, I love you my man, but you're flat out wrong on this one.

Cooler seems to be a mix of Broly and Frieza. More Broly, tbh. He seems to be a charger, with a little zoning and grappling on the side. He'll definitely fare better than Frieza in competitive matches, unless his attacks leave him greatly exposed to counters afterwards.

There are a few things that worry me, basically the fact that a lot of his moves end up with him throwing away his opponent and creating distance - which reduces his ability to constantly be over the opponent and causing pressure. He may be a character in need of assists in order to keep foes pinned down.

I may be wrong - I'm no pro player, we'll see.
Speaking as the World's Only Freeza Main, Cooler looks nothing like him. The only move they share is the ground wave, which was frankly unneeded.

As we saw at EVO, the bulk of high level play in FighterZ is around corner pins, with the best characters like Bardock and Cell being adept at mounting pressure in the corner. It'll be interesting to see how Cooler, who seems to share their highly dominant rushdown play fares as more of a midfielder.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:16 am

Kataphrut wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:Saw the trailer for Cooler...He almost seemed like a clone of Freeza, and if that's the case I'm going to be very disappointed.
Gil, I love you my man, but you're flat out wrong on this one.

Cooler seems to be a mix of Broly and Frieza. More Broly, tbh. He seems to be a charger, with a little zoning and grappling on the side. He'll definitely fare better than Frieza in competitive matches, unless his attacks leave him greatly exposed to counters afterwards.

There are a few things that worry me, basically the fact that a lot of his moves end up with him throwing away his opponent and creating distance - which reduces his ability to constantly be over the opponent and causing pressure. He may be a character in need of assists in order to keep foes pinned down.

I may be wrong - I'm no pro player, we'll see.
Speaking as the World's Only Freeza Main, Cooler looks nothing like him. The only move they share is the ground wave, which was frankly unneeded.

As we saw at EVO, the bulk of high level play in FighterZ is around corner pins, with the best characters like Bardock and Cell being adept at mounting pressure in the corner. It'll be interesting to see how Cooler, who seems to share their highly dominant rushdown play fares as more of a midfielder.
A few buffs can make less powerful characters equally threatening in high-level play with the likes of Cell and Bardock.

For example, imagine ArcSys regretting their later choice and make the kienzan as originally intended - that is, unblockable. This change would easily make Krillin much more powerful.

Or Frieza's assist tracking the player rather than being fixed.

There are a lot of stuff they can do with the players and let's face it: when bardock - the weakest character of the entire roster - is the best or second best character in the game, lore balance is completely thrown out of the window (and don't get me started on Beerus).

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:24 am

Nickolaidas wrote: There are a lot of stuff they can do with the players and let's face it: when bardock - the weakest character of the entire roster - is the best or second best character in the game, lore balance is completely thrown out of the window (and don't get me started on Beerus).
Lore ballance... in a fighting game.
Okay.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:32 am

goku the krump dancer wrote:

Bro... WHAT.. Look at Freeza's Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBpSN5eUTcs then look at Coolers again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBpSN5eUTcs .Cooler is clearly the Brute while Freeza is the Projectile focused type. If you cant see at the very least THAT MUCH then i'll probably just refrain from having conversations on this specific topic of "Clones" or whatever. It's literally going nowhere at this point and is more so people just being angry that their favorite "So and So" new character isn't in the game.

Its really discouraging folks, if you feel like your character is missing in this game 9 times out of 10 they're in Xenoverse.. Go play that instead please.
I got a better idea, how about, I don't play Xenoverse, and be there to tell everyone I told you so when I was right about Cooler. Think I'll do that.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:44 am

KayDash wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote: There are a lot of stuff they can do with the players and let's face it: when bardock - the weakest character of the entire roster - is the best or second best character in the game, lore balance is completely thrown out of the window (and don't get me started on Beerus).
Lore ballance... in a fighting game.
Okay.
Hey man, ArcSys was all about that, not me. They were the ones who said that it wouldn't make sense for Krillin to beat Goku in a 1v1 fight, so they made it 3v3 in order for weaker in lore character to be better able to help as assist characters.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:47 am

FoolsGil wrote:

Bro... WHAT.. Look at Freeza's Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBpSN5eUTcs then look at Coolers again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBpSN5eUTcs .Cooler is clearly the Brute while Freeza is the Projectile focused type. If you cant see at the very least THAT MUCH then i'll probably just refrain from having conversations on this specific topic of "Clones" or whatever. It's literally going nowhere at this point and is more so people just being angry that their favorite "So and So" new character isn't in the game.

Its really discouraging folks, if you feel like your character is missing in this game 9 times out of 10 they're in Xenoverse.. Go play that instead please.
I got a better idea, how about, I don't play Xenoverse, and be there to tell everyone I told you so when I was right about Cooler. Think I'll do that.
But … you're not right about Cooler. He isn't a clone of Frieza, judging by his moveset. Does Frieza have moves where he grapples his opponent? Does he have attacks where he charges his opponent and slams him to the other side of the screen ala Broly? Does he have moves where he throws away his foe and blasts him as the foe descends?

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:57 am

Nickolaidas wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:

But … you're not right about Cooler. He isn't a clone of Frieza, judging by his moveset. Does Frieza have moves where he grapples his opponent? Does he have attacks where he charges his opponent and slams him to the other side of the screen ala Broly? Does he have moves where he throws away his foe and blasts him as the foe descends?
The Charging Special Move that Freeza has, Cooler Has. And while some folks may have issues with me calling the Supernova a Deathball, and in the series and movies they are clearly different moves, but fact is as videogames go, its the exact same move. Two of his presumably 3 special moves are just like Freeza. What else would anyone call him? An Echo Fighter?

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:01 am

With that logic, Yamcha and Krillin are Goku clones because they can do the Kamehameha. One sole common move does not make one a clone character.

First Cooler special move: Dropping a character to the ground and blasting him away.

Second Cooler special move: charges the enemy, knocks him down and plants him, which takes the enemy across the entire screen.

Third Cooler special move; upper knee charge, takes enemy to the air, punches him to the ground, and charges down to hit the enemy.

Fourth Cooler special move: double descending kick

Supermove: Grabs enemy, knees him to the air, slams him down, fires supernova.

How exactly does Frieza perform those moves?
Last edited by Nickolaidas on Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:05 am

Nickolaidas wrote:With that logic, Yamcha and Krillin are Goku clones because they can do the Kamehameha. One sole common move does not make one a clone character.
I would call Yamcha and Krillin Goku clones if they had variations of his Super Kamehameha and Meteor Smash, like for sure.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:08 am

FoolsGil wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:With that logic, Yamcha and Krillin are Goku clones because they can do the Kamehameha. One sole common move does not make one a clone character.
I would call Yamcha and Krillin Goku clones if they had variations of his Super Kamehameha and Meteor Smash, like for sure.
I edited my previous post. If you're being serious with that statement, I am sorry to say that you have absolutely no idea what makes a character a character. Yamcha's entire toolset is based on his wolf fang fist, while Krillin is a set-up trapster character (his Kamehameha is the least interesting thing about his moveset).

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:12 am

FoolsGil wrote:

First Cooler special move: Dropping a character to the ground and blasting him away.

Second Cooler special move: charges the enemy, knocks him down and plants him, which takes the enemy across the entire screen.

Third Cooler special move; upper knee charge, takes enemy to the air, punches him to the ground, and charges down to hit the enemy.

Fourth Cooler special move: double descending kick

Supermove: Grabs enemy, knees him to the air, slams him down, fires supernova.

How exactly does Frieza perform those moves?
In Smash Brothers, clones and "Echo Fighters" have differences here and there as well. But when it comes to the skeleton of the character, they are copying the original. Yeah, great Cooler has some different moves like freeza. But when developers take two clear variations of Freeza's moves and gives them to Cooler, I don't know what else to say but clone. I guess playing Smash Bros for years has made me sensitive to similarities, but I see what I see.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:21 am

I don't know how you can check Freeza's moveset in the game, look at Coola's trailer and call him a clone. At this point you're just projecting what you want onto the character, despite the fact they look like they'll play nothing alike.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:54 am

FoolsGil wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:
The Charging Special Move that Freeza has, Cooler Has. And while some folks may have issues with me calling the Supernova a Deathball, and in the series and movies they are clearly different moves, but fact is as videogames go, its the exact same move. Two of his presumably 3 special moves are just like Freeza. What else would anyone call him? An Echo Fighter?

You're "trolling" i get it..'You do understand that Cooler literally exist to be a Freeza a clone anyway.. Movie 5 and 6 exist because of Freeza's popularity it doesnt matter if you were to replace Cooler with Cold, Chilled, Kuriza or Frost they were were all gonna be similar to Freeza in SOME WAY just off the strength that they only exist because of him. Cooler's "death ball" lvl 3 is a rush down move similar to Bardock's and SS Goku's level 3..

I... ya know. i'm actually losing interest in this conversation as I type.. I'm done. If you're gonna continue to be this shallow have fun man.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:43 am

Nickolaidas wrote:when bardock - the weakest character of the entire roster - is the best or second best character in the game
The Bardock in Dragon Ball FIghterZ can transform into Super Saiyan, which obviously means he comes from Episode of Bardock. He is stronger than Yamcha, Nappa, Goku (Saiyan saga), Vegeta (Saiyan saga) and probably Ginyu.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:05 am

Excuse me, what?
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:48 am

Grimlock wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:when bardock - the weakest character of the entire roster - is the best or second best character in the game
The Bardock in Dragon Ball FIghterZ can transform into Super Saiyan, which obviously means he comes from Episode of Bardock. He is stronger than Yamcha, Nappa, Goku (Saiyan saga), Vegeta (Saiyan saga) and probably Ginyu.
Meh. When he's not SSJ, he's not stronger than any of the characters you mentioned. He only becomes SSJ in his lvl 3 super.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:38 pm

FoolsGil wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:

You're "trolling" i get it..'You do understand that Cooler literally exist to be a Freeza a clone anyway.. Movie 5 and 6 exist because of Freeza's popularity it doesnt matter if you were to replace Cooler with Cold, Chilled, Kuriza or Frost they were were all gonna be similar to Freeza in SOME WAY just off the strength that they only exist because of him. Cooler's "death ball" lvl 3 is a rush down move similar to Bardock's and SS Goku's level 3..

I... ya know. i'm actually losing interest in this conversation as I type.. I'm done. If you're gonna continue to be this shallow have fun man.
That's adorable, me having a different opinion is trolling. But say or do whatever you want, whiners goin' whine, right?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:25 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:Meh. When he's not SSJ, he's not stronger than any of the characters you mentioned. He only becomes SSJ in his lvl 3 super.
Yes he is. Episode of Bardock's base form is stronger, he got Zenkai. Even TV Special's base Bardock is stronger than Saiyan saga Goku, whose power level was 8.000 and Nappa who had 4.000.

Now, the mechanics of the game is irrelevant, he has Super Saiyan in the game, that's all that matters.
Last edited by Grimlock on Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~