"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:35 am

LightBing wrote:Thinking about it, it's off character for Ginyu to have his crew help him fight. :think: Just a random thought.
Just headcanon that Frieza 'asked' Ginew to work alongside his men, because their Power Levels are not dependable at the moment.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:11 am

Nickolaidas wrote:
LightBing wrote:Thinking about it, it's off character for Ginyu to have his crew help him fight. :think: Just a random thought.
Just headcanon that Frieza 'asked' Ginew to work alongside his men, because their Power Levels are not dependable at the moment.
It doesn't bother me that much, after all I'm playing a fighting game where Yamcha can murder Beerus and Vegetto. Just interesting that his gimmick perfectly contradicts one of his most interesting points as a character.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:42 am

LightBing wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:
It doesn't bother me that much, after all I'm playing a fighting game where Yamcha can murder Beerus and Vegetto. Just interesting that his gimmick perfectly contradicts one of his most interesting points as a character.
Was the 'don't help me Jeice' scene in the manga?

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:03 am

Nickolaidas wrote:Was the 'don't help me Jeice' scene in the manga?
Yes.

Son Edo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Edo » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:30 am

Been playing this for the last two days on the switch. Love the visual style they went with, it looks and plays excellently.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:40 am

LightBing wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:
He's like that when he's fighting one-on-one with an worthy opponent, but he is fighting three people after all in any match.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:31 am

LightBing wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:Was the 'don't help me Jeice' scene in the manga?
Yes.
That was a one on one fight though.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:51 am

This is a versus game but you fight one on one for most of it. But like I said it's not a big deal, half the characters would never accept the game scenario anyway.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:43 am

I've seen it pointed out that between his awesome assist and having really good defensive options, Super Saiyan Vegeta is the best team-player in the game. That also applies to Goku Black, Kid Buu, Cooler and a few others as well.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:00 pm

Hoping if they ever do a sequel to this game that we can get subtitles in addition to the dubtitles. I play Fighterz with the Japanese audio on and know enough of the language where it's distracting when the "punched up" lines of text show up and it's obvious that's not what was said. The Piccolo and Yamcha interaction where they change the comment Piccolo says from being about Dende to being about Bulma and Vegeta is roughly what I'm up to and there's other examples too, but it's the biggest offender so far, imo.

Does the text take up that much space? Or is it a cheapness thing not to pay for both a dub and sub script?

I'm playing on the Switch, but surely this was talked about when the game came out on PS4, etc?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:14 pm

Chuquita wrote:Hoping if they ever do a sequel to this game that we can get subtitles in addition to the dubtitles. I play Fighterz with the Japanese audio on and know enough of the language where it's distracting when the "punched up" lines of text show up and it's obvious that's not what was said. The Piccolo and Yamcha interaction where they change the comment Piccolo says from being about Dende to being about Bulma and Vegeta is roughly what I'm up to and there's other examples too, but it's the biggest offender so far, imo.

Does the text take up that much space? Or is it a cheapness thing not to pay for both a dub and sub script?

I'm playing on the Switch, but surely this was talked about when the game came out on PS4, etc?
It was and get ready for more "liberties". I don't think it's about cheapness but translators purposely changing it because they think it's funny or because it's a meme, it's far too specific to be incompetence. I guess nobody on the company cares.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:21 pm

LightBing wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Hoping if they ever do a sequel to this game that we can get subtitles in addition to the dubtitles. I play Fighterz with the Japanese audio on and know enough of the language where it's distracting when the "punched up" lines of text show up and it's obvious that's not what was said. The Piccolo and Yamcha interaction where they change the comment Piccolo says from being about Dende to being about Bulma and Vegeta is roughly what I'm up to and there's other examples too, but it's the biggest offender so far, imo.

It was and get ready for more "liberties". I don't think it's about cheapness but translators purposely changing it because they think it's funny or because it's a meme, it's far too specific to be incompetence. I guess nobody on the company cares.
That's really unfortunate. :(

Most of what I saw of the game before playing it was the playthrough stuff TFS did and since they very quickly switched to the English audio early on because of chat's requests I didn't notice the drastic changes the way I do playing it myself with the Japanese audio. I mean I'm glad I know enough Japanese to know what they're saying since the dubtitles won't tell me what they're actually saying, but for people who don't know Japanese that's really unfair/doing a disservice to not have both text options.

Can you imagine that happening in other translation-related contexts?! Like you're in a country whose native language you don't know and you ask someone what the text on the road sign means or the description of an item on a restaurant menu and they make a bad joke instead of answer your question. That's not doing their job. It's like, what's even the point of being a translator if instead of translating you just make jokes and pass them off as what was said?

On a less depressing note, I looked up 21's voice actress and learned she also voiced Cure Sunshine from HeartCatch Precure. I never would've noticed since Sunshine has a notably deeper voice than 21 has. Thought that was pretty cool.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

excelhedge
Beyond Newbie

Post by excelhedge » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:12 am

Finished unlocking all the "halloween" colors
Still find it dumb their are no alternate costumes.

So are we supposed to expect Christmas colors in a couple of months?

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:12 am

excelhedge wrote:Finished unlocking all the "halloween" colors

That's because of the way Arc makes their models. Alternate costumes cost a lot of time since they have to a lot of work to the model so that it works in every situation.
It would be nice if we could make custom palettes though.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:43 am

Was there an easy way to get the 20 million Zeni yet? I was never getting the Platinum trophy with how long winded that was.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:44 am

excelhedge wrote:Finished unlocking all the "halloween" colors

the costumes thing has been talked about in all their games. They arent modelled in the same way street fighter or tekken are, with a base model and interchangable clothing. Doing new costumes would mean rebuilding the characters from scratch and that is a lot of work for a skin.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:45 am

How long do you guys think it will be before we see a season 2 and would it include the new Broly?

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:01 am

mahakaishin1991 wrote:How long do you guys think it will be before we see a season 2 and would it include the new Broly?
Probably not until early 2019, and I doubt they'll include any of the movie characters (not until Season 3 at least if at all. More likely in FighterZ 2 as a canon "replacement")

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:10 am

The Final of the World Tour is a good place to announce it, at the end of January. If the new Broly is in the game, I'm going to say it's pretty likely although if it happens he will come at end of Season 2 since they take months to make a character.

Broly and Gogeta, if the later is in the movie are likely as the final DLC characters of an hypothetical Season 2. :(

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:46 am

mute_proxy wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:How long do you guys think it will be before we see a season 2 and would it include the new Broly?
Probably not until early 2019, and I doubt they'll include any of the movie characters (not until Season 3 at least if at all. More likely in FighterZ 2 as a canon "replacement")
I'm not to sure on the no movie characters thing. Janemba at least has a strong fanbase requesting him. I dont think theres many theyd use now though.

Perhaps Bojack and Janemba but right now youd be treading on Turles, Slug and Hatchiyak (not that i have a problem with any of these) but I think theyd go for something more diverse, like Super content