"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Akamay » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:32 pm

It feels like they wanted to have a Kid Goku without giving up on him having his signature moves from Dragon Ball Z, so they got Kid Goku from GT as a compromise.
There is no real reason for Kid Goku from GT to have the power pole, so it could mean that they are going to give some of Kid Goku's moves to this character. It would be strange, but it would still make sense, I guess?

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:33 am

Or maybe... Just maybe... GT Goku is actually well-received by fans in general? I've not gotten the feeling that DB Kid Goku is anymore popular than GT Goku before the DLC announcement.

He's also the perfect opportunity to bring back some classic DB elements like the power pole and unique variety to his moveset, like Dragon Fist and Kiao (which was used in GT a lot from what I recall). Actually in one of the scans, it says that while GT Goku may have short reach with regular attacks, his power pole attacks make up for that. And if his Secret Level 3 is indeed SSJ4, it would make GT Goku a very interesting character to use and master.

Tbh I haven't touched my FighterZ copy since Bardock/Broly cause all the subsequent DLC bored me. Now I may want to get back into it just because we have such an interesting character to play with. Well, that and the good possibility of SSJ4.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Pokesamus217

Post by Pokesamus217 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:39 am

Rakurai wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:33 am Or maybe... Just maybe... GT Goku is actually well-received by fans in general? I've not gotten the feeling that DB Kid Goku is anymore popular than GT Goku before the DLC announcement.

He's also the perfect opportunity to bring back some classic DB elements like the power pole and unique variety to his moveset, like Dragon Fist and Kiao (which was used in GT a lot from what I recall). Actually in one of the scans, it says that while GT Goku may have short reach with regular attacks, his power pole attacks make up for that. And if his Secret Level 3 is indeed SSJ4, it would make GT Goku a very interesting character to use and master.

Tbh I haven't touched my FighterZ copy since Bardock/Broly cause all the subsequent DLC bored me. Now I may want to get back into it just because we have such an interesting character to play with. Well, that and the good possibility of SSJ4.
SSJ4 Goku? Yeah, he was reasonably popular on polls. Regular GT Goku though was a character that next to nobody asked for, if people wanted a Kid Goku, they wanted the original one. That's why a lot of people beleive that he's gonna have SSJ4 on him as otherwise, his inclusion makes no sence.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:46 am

Pokesamus217 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:39 am Regular GT Goku though was a character that next to nobody asked for, if people wanted a Kid Goku, they wanted the original one. That's why a lot of people beleive that he's gonna have SSJ4 on him as otherwise, his inclusion makes no sence.
Using western fanbase as evidence isn't a smart thing to do.
DBGT is having reruns in Japanese telvision right now. There's plenty of people who are watching it and I'm sure they're happy of the choice for one.

His inclusion makes sense, because GT Goku just has a better moveset arsenal suited for this game than regular Kid Goku.

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:42 am

Xeogran wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:46 am
Pokesamus217 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:39 am Regular GT Goku though was a character that next to nobody asked for, if people wanted a Kid Goku, they wanted the original one. That's why a lot of people beleive that he's gonna have SSJ4 on him as otherwise, his inclusion makes no sence.
DBGT is having reruns in Japanese telvision right now. There's plenty of people who are watching it and I'm sure they're happy of the choice for one.

His inclusion makes sense, because GT Goku just has a better moveset arsenal suited for this game than regular Kid Goku.
I do see the logic here. My only personal issue with this is that GT Goku has a moveset that is a bit too similar to the rest of the Gokus on the game already. Kid Goku not having the Super Saiyan forms or the Spirit Bomb could have resulted in a more unique moveset. GT Goku looks a bit too generic so far in my opinion.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:46 am

Rakurai wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:33 am Or maybe... Just maybe... GT Goku is actually well-received by fans in general? I've not gotten the feeling that DB Kid Goku is anymore popular than GT Goku before the DLC announcement.
Xeogran wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:46 am Using western fanbase as evidence isn't a smart thing to do.

I've seen negative comments in Japan too, it's not like it's very different ...
anyway it does not change anything is something simple we talk about the protagonist of the series most will accept it no matter what there are like 4 equals in the game.
a character that many wanted was dabura and in the end it was not obtained nor way this is it.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:49 pm

Pokesamus217 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:39 am SSJ4 Goku? Yeah, he was reasonably popular on polls. Regular GT Goku though was a character that next to nobody asked for, if people wanted a Kid Goku, they wanted the original one. That's why a lot of people beleive that he's gonna have SSJ4 on him as otherwise, his inclusion makes no sence.
What polls are you referring to? Are they official? Because if not, then they're mostly pointless. Bandai isn't going to be looking at fanmade polls to decide what characters to include. Surely they have other data we're not aware of.

If they wanted Kid Goku and SSJ4 Goku, there is very little doubt in my mind that they would've released them separately. Why not? Because too many Goku's? That issue is a minor nitpick (a meme at worst), it doesn't impact the quality of the game, and what ultimately matters is character moveset variety. That's what gamers ultimately care about. They released a base Saiyan arc Goku and Vegeta which from a 'character duplicate' standpoint is the worst offender. They released No. 17 even though they tried not to add him at launch because they felt his moveset would've been too similar to 18. They're adding DBS Broly even though they already have DBZ Broly.

For years I haven't seen GT Gohan, Goten, or Majuub in any major DB fighting games. That's likely because they know these characters won't sell very well and have very limited movesets. If GT Goku were that unpopular, surely they would not have included him in the same manner. But the fact that they did means our perception of what's actually popular and what's not is surely lacking and they have data or know trends which we don't.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:15 pm

Rakurai wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:49 pm
Pokesamus217 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:39 am SSJ4 Goku? Yeah, he was reasonably popular on polls. Regular GT Goku though was a character that next to nobody asked for, if people wanted a Kid Goku, they wanted the original one. That's why a lot of people beleive that he's gonna have SSJ4 on him as otherwise, his inclusion makes no sence.
What polls are you referring to? Are they official? Because if not, then they're mostly pointless. Bandai isn't going to be looking at fanmade polls to decide what characters to include. Surely they have other data we're not aware of.

If they wanted Kid Goku and SSJ4 Goku, there is very little doubt in my mind that they would've released them separately. Why not? Because too many Goku's? That issue is a minor nitpick (a meme at worst), it doesn't impact the quality of the game, and what ultimately matters is character moveset variety. That's what gamers ultimately care about. They released a base Saiyan arc Goku and Vegeta which from a 'character duplicate' standpoint is the worst offender. They released No. 17 even though they tried not to add him at launch because they felt his moveset would've been too similar to 18. They're adding DBS Broly even though they already have DBZ Broly.

For years I haven't seen GT Gohan, Goten, or Majuub in any major DB fighting games. That's likely because they know these characters won't sell very well and have very limited movesets. If GT Goku were that unpopular, surely they would not have included him in the same manner. But the fact that they did means our perception of what's actually popular and what's not is surely lacking and they have data or know trends which we don't.
I think the “too many Gokus” complaint is valid to a degree. For one, this game’s roster is much more limited than something like BT3 or Xenoverse 2, so having multiple versions of a single character can be a bit disappointing for people who want other characters to be represented in the game.That’s why I think that if they’re going to include GT Goku in this game, they should give him the ability to go Super Saiyan 4. There’s really no point in having them be separate characters.

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:38 pm

Akamay wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:32 pm It feels like they wanted to have a Kid Goku without giving up on him having his signature moves from Dragon Ball Z, so they got Kid Goku from GT as a compromise.
There is no real reason for Kid Goku from GT to have the power pole, so it could mean that they are going to give some of Kid Goku's moves to this character. It would be strange, but it would still make sense, I guess?
IMHO they were making Kid Goku, then got the order to add more GT content and instead of making a new character from scratch they just recycled Kid Goku and gave him the Genkidama

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:17 pm

Xeogran wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:46 am

Oh, I didn't know about their being reruns. Do you know where I could see the ratings for that?
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:41 pm

Hit's lv1 super with 7 bars
Quadruple Tenshihan clones
There's more crazy shit out there.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:30 pm

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:44 am

I thought they were going to fix those giant hands everybody has got lol

Anybody has any idea when would GT Goku DLC come out? mid-year or sooner?

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:47 pm

A new patch to fix bugs cause by the last one will soon be released.

https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUK/statu ... 9987571713

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:03 pm

Yeah there's a huge scaling bug with #17 as you can see here:

https://old.reddit.com/r/dragonballfigh ... siest_tod/

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:30 pm

LightBing wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:03 pm Yeah there's a huge scaling bug with #17 as you can see here:

There's a lot of these going around. I saw one that was 17-Hit-Trunks.

You wanted top-tier 17? There you go lol.

excelhedge
Beyond Newbie

Post by excelhedge » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:43 pm

Wtf did they do to 21!

She no longer keeps her absorption moves? This completely changes how she plays when she does have them!

Why did they do this!

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:58 pm

I've been trying to master the super jump install technique with Gotenks where you float backwards while landing before the Super Ghost mixup. For some reason no matter what I do I can never make him float backwards. I've watched a bunch of videos on it and I'm doing the exact same inputs as everyone else but it won't work. Did the patch remove this or am I going nuts?

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:34 am

LightBing wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:03 pm Yeah there's a huge scaling bug with #17 as you can see here:

HOLY FUCK, Thats insane :lol: .. I gotta get into actually trying to get good at this game, but taking multiple fighting games seriously is no easy feat, I already have Tekken and MK as primaries on my plate as much as I love Dragon Ball, I just cant feasibly see myself throwing this game into that mix.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels