"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:11 am

There's a good chance that a new stage is coming: on the stage selection icons, the top rank has been pushed to the right, leaving an obvious empty space for a stage at the top left.

In other words, it seems they've clearly made room for a new stage icon.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:04 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:11 am There's a good chance that a new stage is coming: on the stage selection icons, the top rank has been pushed to the right, leaving an obvious empty space for a stage at the top left.

In other words, it seems they've clearly made room for a new stage icon.
Nice catch. I think they can add quite a few iconic (or not) stages to the game, or the sequel:

Kamehouse
Hyperbolic Time Chamber
Kami's Lookout
Tournament of Power arena
Janemba's Hell
Dr Gero's Lab
Capsule Corp
The road where the Z Fighters fought the Androids

Deity
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deity » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:50 am

Jord wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:22 am I'm just glad we're actually getting interesting characters instead of suggestions like Super crap like Kofla, Frost and that horrible U8 Saiyan that looks up to Vegeta.
I agree. I feel like we have enough DB Super characters. I believe it is time to pay the rest of the show some attention. The choice to have DBSuper Broly and Gogeta is one that got me really disappointed (not that it would stop me from getting the DLCs if I didn't already have the season pass).

I would love to see
- Kame-sennin (with animation style from early DB, like when he fought Piccolo Daimao, or DBZ movie 2), and
- Kid Gohan (Android saga, kind of like Budokai 3; Gohan deserves the honor of appearing 3 times in the roster imo);
- and just as I was typing this I thought how nice would it be to have Goten and Trunks as one character, like 18 and 17. I would prefer Goten to be the main, like 18 is.

Kefla, or even worse Frost appearing as characters before any of the mentioned above I would find it sloppy and disrespectful. At this point I'm starting to feel the game should have been named Dragon Ball FighterSuper :crazy:

Heck, I would prefer to see Yajirobe or even Chi Chi before Cabba... I really like Dragon Ball Super don't get me wrong, but man, what about Dragon Ball Z, what about Dragon Ball ?? Even Vegetto and Gogeta are SSBlue...

But yeah, whatever they do, I just hope we get a third DLC season :D

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:06 am

Deity wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:50 am I feel like we have enough DB Super characters. I believe it is time to pay the rest of the show some attention. The choice to have DBSuper Broly and Gogeta is one that got me really disappointed (not that it would stop me from getting the DLCs if I didn't already have the season pass).

I would love to see
- Kame-sennin (with animation style from early DB, like when he fought Piccolo Daimao, or DBZ movie 2), and
- Kid Gohan (Android saga, kind of like Budokai 3; Gohan deserves the honor of appearing 3 times in the roster imo);
- and just as I was typing this I thought how nice would it be to have Goten and Trunks as one character, like 18 and 17. I would prefer Goten to be the main, like 18 is.

Kefla, or even worse Frost appearing as characters before any of the mentioned above I would find it sloppy and disrespectful. At this point I'm starting to feel the game should have been named Dragon Ball FighterSuper :crazy:

Heck, I would prefer to see Yajirobe or even Chi Chi before Cabba... I really like Dragon Ball Super don't get me wrong, but man, what about Dragon Ball Z, what about Dragon Ball ?? Even Vegetto and Gogeta are SSBlue...

Dragon Ball FighterSuper. This reminds me of back before Black and Hit got announced, there were people insisting there wouldn't be characters from other series because it's DragonBall FighterZee. It was dumb then because Golden Freeza was in the very first trailer and SSB Goku and Vegeta were revealed not long after. Clearly the old stuff wasn't sacred.

This game has a roster problem, but Super characters aren't part of it. The real problem is that anything pre-Z is completely ignored due to a combination of arbitrary rules (they have to be able to fly, can't get away with a jetpack like the other games) and marketing (the idiot Americans didn't watch Z so who cares).

But yeah, get out of here with the Kefla hate. She's got a unique moveset and she's one of very few valid female fighters, she should already be in. Nobody is suggesting Frost, that's not a concern. As for Gogeta, well...let's be honest, we all love him but the Blue version is the only worthwhile version now.What does a Fusion Reborn Gogeta have to draw on? He throws one blast, does a punch flurry you can't see, and is boring. SS4 is even worse: he spooges confetti and shoots a Kamehameha that looks like an aerosol spray.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:39 am

A kid Gohan would be great, I agree. He's been in the series for so long and they could implement some kind of 'rage' mechanic. Kamensennin would be great as well, especially if they let him fly on that turtle he used in Dragonball. This a character for which they could go all out, using humor, his buff form, maybe even the mafuba akin to 16's suicide move.

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:57 am

If we get season 3 I hope Kefla is the first character. She has incredible moveset potential, and like Fused Zamasu can draw from her components for other attacks.

That being said, I wouldn't mind more GT representation. Baby Vegeta, Omega Shenron, even Super 17 all have great and flashy moveset potential. At least if they use Omega's full powerset.

Deity
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deity » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:49 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:06 am
Deity wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:50 am I feel like we have enough DB Super characters. I believe it is time to pay the rest of the show some attention. The choice to have DBSuper Broly and Gogeta is one that got me really disappointed (not that it would stop me from getting the DLCs if I didn't already have the season pass).

I would love to see

Dragon Ball FighterSuper. This reminds me of back before Black and Hit got announced, there were people insisting there wouldn't be characters from other series because it's DragonBall FighterZee. It was dumb then because Golden Freeza was in the very first trailer and SSB Goku and Vegeta were revealed not long after. Clearly the old stuff wasn't sacred.

This game has a roster problem, but Super characters aren't part of it. The real problem is that anything pre-Z is completely ignored due to a combination of arbitrary rules (they have to be able to fly, can't get away with a jetpack like the other games) and marketing (the idiot Americans didn't watch Z so who cares).

But yeah, get out of here with the Kefla hate. She's got a unique moveset and she's one of very few valid female fighters, she should already be in. Nobody is suggesting Frost, that's not a concern. As for Gogeta, well...let's be honest, we all love him but the Blue version is the only worthwhile version now.What does a Fusion Reborn Gogeta have to draw on? He throws one blast, does a punch flurry you can't see, and is boring. SS4 is even worse: he spooges confetti and shoots a Kamehameha that looks like an aerosol spray.
I have no problem with the current roster, I have no problem with Super characters already in it. Hell, my favorite FighterZ character is still Black. And again, I have no problem with more Super characters being introduced. I have no Kefla hate; I do hate the thought of having Kefla coming on as a DLC before other characters way more relevant to the show.

I get your point regarding movie 12 Gogeta vs DBS Gogeta's moveset...however we have seen in FighterZ that characters have moves from other versions of themselves (GT Goku has a lot from DB Goku for example), and I don't think we have seen Videl fight long enough to have an accurate moveset. Even some of Black's moves are taken from Xenoverse... I'm really not against having the Blue version of Gogeta. I even understand it more so than having Blue Vegetto, a character that appeared for like half an episode in Super in comparison to the +- 5 episode appearance of Vegetto in DBZ. Again, this is not about any specific character. Having Blue Gogeta/Vegetto is just an example of the excessive love and attention being given to Super.

So yeah, my previous post was not a DBSuper hate, or a current roster hate, or even a Kefla hate. I'm just salty with the amount of attention given to Super in comparison with the rest of the show.

I never thought about the flying thing, but I guess the only character that effectively flies in FighterZ is Zamasu, the other ones just super dash (and can hang in the air when performing a special/super). Even Videl can super dash, I don't find it all farfetched to see Kame-sennin super-dashing. They could even put some frames of him throwing a ki blast behind him to propel him forward. Don't know how feasible would be to put this in his dragon rush animation, but come on, when there is a will there is a way :P
Last edited by Deity on Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Deity
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deity » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:07 pm

Jord wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:39 am A kid Gohan would be great, I agree. He's been in the series for so long and they could implement some kind of 'rage' mechanic. Kamensennin would be great as well, especially if they let him fly on that turtle he used in Dragonball. This a character for which they could go all out, using humor, his buff form, maybe even the mafuba akin to 16's suicide move.
Right ? Kame-sennin, if we include the Tenkaichi Budokais, has a lot to take from. Really a lot. And the fact that Super paid a great homage to DB by showcasing his moves such as Bangkok Bikkuri Show or the Yoiko minmin ken makes it hard for them to not notice this. Even his normals can be taken from the show (i.e. Dragon Ball). This is a character where a lot of love can be put into its creation.

Kid Gohan, for sure. He could get stronger (or have stronger supers like GT Goku) as characters from your team get dropped :D I didn't think about the power of anger in kid Gohan. They could really have some fun with this.

In my worthless opinion, after these two get added, they can put whichever Keflas, GT Shenlongs or Pride Troopers as they want :mrgreen:

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:18 pm

But the thing is, Roshi can't fly. I don't think they'll include in the roster a character who can't fly.

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:22 pm

Deity wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:50 am
Jord wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:22 am I'm just glad we're actually getting interesting characters instead of suggestions like Super crap like Kofla, Frost and that horrible U8 Saiyan that looks up to Vegeta.
I agree. I feel like we have enough DB Super characters. I believe it is time to pay the rest of the show some attention. The choice to have DBSuper Broly and Gogeta is one that got me really disappointed (not that it would stop me from getting the DLCs if I didn't already have the season pass).

I would love to see

I respect your opinion, but these would be wasted slots, honestly.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:35 pm

ehhh, i agree for goten and trunks, but kid gohan always felt like a staple DB game character, plus with kid goku in the game, i think it makes sense.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:13 am

Deity wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:49 pm
Kataphrut wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:06 am

I would love to see

I have no problem with the current roster, I have no problem with Super characters already in it. Hell, my favorite FighterZ character is still Black. And again, I have no problem with more Super characters being introduced. I have no Kefla hate; I do hate the thought of having Kefla coming on as a DLC before other characters way more relevant to the show.

I get your point regarding movie 12 Gogeta vs DBS Gogeta's moveset...however we have seen in FighterZ that characters have moves from other versions of themselves (GT Goku has a lot from DB Goku for example), and I don't think we have seen Videl fight long enough to have an accurate moveset. Even some of Black's moves are taken from Xenoverse... I'm really not against having the Blue version of Gogeta. I even understand it more so than having Blue Vegetto, a character that appeared for like half an episode in Super in comparison to the +- 5 episode appearance of Vegetto in DBZ. Again, this is not about any specific character. Having Blue Gogeta/Vegetto is just an example of the excessive love and attention being given to Super.

So yeah, my previous post was not a DBSuper hate, or a current roster hate, or even a Kefla hate. I'm just salty with the amount of attention given to Super in comparison with the rest of the show.

I never thought about the flying thing, but I guess the only character that effectively flies in FighterZ is Zamasu, the other ones just super dash (and can hang in the air when performing a special/super). Even Videl can super dash, I don't find it all farfetched to see Kame-sennin super-dashing. They could even put some frames of him throwing a ki blast behind him to propel him forward. Don't know how feasible would be to put this in his dragon rush animation, but come on, when there is a will there is a way :P
I don't think there is a will, that's the problem. It's probably why they had Kid Goku represented by GT instead of Dragon Ball. They could have easily given him the Nimbus for super dashing and stage transitions, but that's slightly more effort than just having him fly. Roshi was the highest requested character for season 2 on Reddit (followed closely by Kefla btw) and I don't think they're even thinking of including him because of that. I'd like to be proven wrong, there's no doubt he'd be incredible.

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:26 pm

SSJgogeto wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:18 pm But the thing is, Roshi can't fly. I don't think they'll include in the roster a character who can't fly.
I feel like this is a total cop out. The characters in FighterZ don't really fly anyway. It's like prolonged jumping. Only Zamasu actually flies.

Roshi is the only Dragon Ball character that should have 100% been in this game, especially considering he was in the ToP. He is the only one on the team who isn't in this game.

And more Z characters? Like who? Movie villains? Z is extremely well represented.

I'm not saying we NEED more super characters but an argument could be made for at the least Kefla, Cabba, and G.o.D. Toppo.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:45 pm

omegacwa wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:26 pm
I feel like this is a total cop out. The characters in FighterZ don't really fly anyway. It's like prolonged jumping. Only Zamasu actually flies.
Super dash is flying, it can be performed in air and directed towards opponent. A fun idea would be if he used a kamehameha to do a super dash

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:29 am

mute_proxy wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:45 pm
Super dash is flying, it can be performed in air and directed towards opponent. A fun idea would be if he used a kamehameha to do a super dash
My counter argument is "who really cares?". I don't. Just let Roshi do super dash. It's a video game.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:32 am

omegacwa wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:29 am
My counter argument is "who really cares?". I don't. Just let Roshi do super dash. It's a video game.
"Just because" doesn't qualify as an argument in any discussion

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:31 am

mute_proxy wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:32 am
omegacwa wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:29 am

"Just because" doesn't qualify as an argument in any discussion
Ok. Fine. Roshi can certainly jump extremely high and possibly even jump mid air. This is basically super dash. It's a non canon video game. If the only reason Roshi isn't in the game is because "he can't fly" that's flat out stupid. He's an extremely popular character. That excuse is a cop out.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:57 am

Deity wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:50 am At this point I'm starting to feel the game should have been named Dragon Ball FighterSuper :crazy:
Really.

Not … Goku Fighter Z?

Or maybe Goku & Vegeta Z?

No? OK, then …

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:24 am

Nickolaidas wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:57 am
Deity wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:50 am At this point I'm starting to feel the game should have been named Dragon Ball FighterSuper :crazy:
Really.

Not … Goku Fighter Z?

No? OK, then …
I would be totally fine with MUI Goku and Evolution Vegeta making it in. You could even argue for Majin Vegeta as well. Other than that I don't want anymore. SSJ4 would be pointless, in my opinion. No need for SSJ2 Goku or Vegeta as their movesets were basically merged with just standard SSJ. No need for SSJ3 either.

I would be ok with there being another Trunks, or at least a Super skin for the current one.

I have literally zero interest in them putting in movie characters. They got the most important ones already.

As for OG DB characters Roshi for sure, other than that I could see an argument for Tao Pai Pai and King Piccolo. He has no business being in this game but I wouldn't mind android 8.

With Super, other than the previously mentioned Goku and Vegeta forms, All that's left that is actually viable IMO are Kefla, Cabba, Toppo, Ribrianne, Trio De Dangers, and Dyspo.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:53 pm

omegacwa wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:24 am
Nickolaidas wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:57 am
Really.

Not … Goku Fighter Z?

No? OK, then …
I would be totally fine with MUI Goku and Evolution Vegeta making it in. You could even argue for Majin Vegeta as well. Other than that I don't want anymore. SSJ4 would be pointless, in my opinion. No need for SSJ2 Goku or Vegeta as their movesets were basically merged with just standard SSJ. No need for SSJ3 either.
Please no. Evolution is so similar to Blue it would be a waste. If they can change costumes like Videl's short hair/pigtails, all theyd have to do is make the blue slightly darker and you'd have Blu