"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Tai Lung » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:17 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:30 pm Does Janemba have any special interactions with the other fighters?
eh? janemba doesn't speak ... which makes him a bit disappointing in a game like this.

Alpha to Omega

Post by Alpha to Omega » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:04 am

Gogeta gameplay from TGS

He apparently releases on 9/26. He also has Stardust Fall as a third super but it isn't shown in the video.

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:32 am

Gogeta looks like he will be super fun to play as. His move set is phenomenal. When he was announced for the game I really wanted his level 3 to 5 to be exactly what it ended up being so I am not disappointed.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:11 pm

My only dissapointment is his lv3 seemly not triggering a destructive finish on kill.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:57 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:11 pm My only dissapointment is his lv3 seemly not triggering a destructive finish on kill.
Agreed. Maybe they'll patch it? I was looking forward to an explosion following the level 3 like in the movie...

I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:10 pm

ArcSys: So, how many moves should we give Gogeta?
Bandai: Yes.

This guy looks ridiculous. He looks like he's made to burn meter, but his tools in neutral seem crazy as well. The only question is, who does he replace on The Shell? Is he the new Bardock, the new Ratku or the new SSku? I'm leaning the former for the assist or the latter for the anchor potential.

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:18 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:11 pm My only dissapointment is his lv3 seemly not triggering a destructive finish on kill.
I'm not sure how that even works. I've hit level 3's or 5's on people who basically had no health, so major overkill, and not had it trigger a destructive finish/arena explosion.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:37 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:10 pm ArcSys: So, how many moves should we give Gogeta?

This guy looks ridiculous. He looks like he's made to burn meter, but his tools in neutral seem crazy as well. The only question is, who does he replace on The Shell? Is he the new Bardock, the new Ratku or the new SSku? I'm leaning the former for the assist or the latter for the anchor potential.
Ditto. I'm sick of the pro scene being dominated by Gokus and Goku-likes.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:55 am

Nickolaidas wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:37 pm
Kataphrut wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:10 pm ArcSys: So, how many moves should we give Gogeta?

Ditto. I'm sick of the pro scene being dominated by Gokus and Goku-likes.
I mean, he's still a Goku fusion...

Speaking of, anyone else find it suspicious that the Goku-likes tend to be better characters on average? Like they get special treatment? When you think about the unfair kit in this game, it usually goes back to one of them- Bardock's buttons, Vegetto's autocombo, Goku Black's 2H, GT's...everything.

I just played a couple of sets that both had Vegetto on point, and god no other character can be as bold as him when it comes to just mashing. I try that with Freeza and Hit (ok sometimes Hit gets away with it) and I usually get caught, but these Vegetto players with their kangaroo legs, man. They're invincible and they know it. And he's not even high-tier, he's just noob-friendly. They wouldn't give that advantage to someone like Krillin...

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:58 am

Kataphrut wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:55 amSpeaking of, anyone else find it suspicious that the Goku-likes tend to be better characters on average? Like they get special treatment? When you think about the unfair kit in this game, it usually goes back to one of them- Bardock's buttons, Vegetto's autocombo, Goku Black's 2H, GT's...everything.

I just played a couple of sets that both had Vegetto on point, and god no other character can be as bold as him when it comes to just mashing. I try that with Freeza and Hit (ok sometimes Hit gets away with it) and I usually get caught, but these Vegetto players with their kangaroo legs, man. They're invincible and they know it. And he's not even high-tier, he's just noob-friendly. They wouldn't give that advantage to someone like Krillin...
Well Base Goku is pretty low tier at least. I sometimes think character popularity does play a part in how good they're made to be though. I remember Ryu being high tier in vanilla SF4 and still pretty good in SSF4, although they did nerf him considerably from AE onwards, to the point were Daigo Umehara dropped him.

It makes sense though. The characters they anticipate being popular being made easier to pick up and do reasonably well with.

excelhedge
Beyond Newbie

Post by excelhedge » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:15 pm

I know Gogeta is based off. New movie but I kind of wish one of his super moves was him turning Super Saiyan 4 like GT Goku

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:06 pm

well it has a movement in which it multiplies .. :think:

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:37 am

More Gogeta gameplay trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot0AqZC8CXU
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:49 pm

Look guys, the update to prepare Gogeta's DLC has been released today, with the character's icon now appearing, but...
there is still no new stage, and the upper stage line is still obviously moved to the side for an extra stage to be added, with a blatant empty space waiting to be filled.

Could it be that the extra stage for which they left enough space for a while now is still not linked to either Janemba or Gogeta?
Could it be a special stage that is meant to go perfectly with DBS Broly's inclusion and that has been planned for a long while given how long that empty space has been set on the selection screen?

I honestly fully expected it to be Hell, so that with Gogeta's release making the Dramatic Finish available with Janemba, it would give us the proper place to do it. Plus, Hell was briefly shown in the video announcing Janemba back then as a background for screen text (though likely not taken from an in-game render - or one emptied on purpose -, it still seemed like a brief hint to me that they acknowledged Janemba's belonging to the place in their own presentation).
But now, it seems more like the new stage will be coming with DBS Broly, which would make it... an ice stage with lava environment once destroyed?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:20 pm

It was smart from them by giving SSB Gogeta sutff from Fusion Reborn and GT.
However I'm not seeing any reason for him to not have SSJ as alternative skin, when Videl has two different haircuts.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:08 pm

^ You could say the same for Vegetto or Gohan (who turns into a mere SS in some scenes, just like Gogeta here).
Or about changing the hair color for normal forms (Trunks' DBS color set still has him with purple hair, and Vegeta's prototype colors still have him with black hair in his normal form).

Hair color seems to be something they are unwilling to touch, except for very specific automated scenes (and even then, Trunks' normal form only appears in special scenes at the beginning and even for that, they are unwilling to change him).

Maybe they are afraid to show a regular SS using things he is not supposed to use unless he is a SSB.
Maybe they are afraid to show Trunks with blue hair if it has that thin, square-ended and regular shape from DBZ instead of the thick, spike-ending and messier style from DBS.
But then, they don't seem afraid to show SS Gogeta against Janemba using his finishing move against him in a style that matches the new Gogeta rather than the old one.

So that "faithfulness to the end" argument has some downside to it that makes you think it might be some other reason why they don't do alternate hair colors.
The reason could be that they are afraid to confuse players: no matter the colors of the clothes, the opponent has to be easy to recognize to make up your strategy accordingly. With characters like Goku and Vegeta being different gameplay-wise depending on if their hair are blue or yellow, they don't want a player to be taken aback if seeing Vegetto or Gogeta with yellow hair and think "wait, is this the character I know how to fight or is this a new selectable variation I don't know about gameplay-wise???".

Yes, with SS Goku and SS Vegeta being different characters than SSB Goku and SSB Vegeta, you can't have people wondering what they're up against if they suddenly see SS Vegetto and SS Gogeta in front of them. So they likely won't make this situation able to happen and that's settled!

Then again, we never know: maybe if we try the same buttons as to select Videl's alternate hairstyle, maybe you'll have your SS Gogeta...
People would like to have a choice... even though nothing is more beautiful and stylish than a Super Saiyan Blue's hair!

Just these blue hair make normal Trunks, SSB Goku, SSB Vegeta, SSB Vegetto and SSB Gogeta automatically twice as charismatic as they are in other versions/forms! 8)

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:25 pm

I think it’s a little weird that they gave Gogeta the widow’s peak he had in Movie 12.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:30 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:08 pm ^ You could say the same for Vegetto or Gohan (who turns into a mere SS in some scenes, just like Gogeta here).
Or about changing the hair color for normal forms (Trunks' DBS color set still has him with purple hair, and Vegeta's prototype colors still have him with black hair in his normal form).

Hair color seems to be something they are unwilling to touch, except for very specific automated scenes (and even then, Trunks' normal form only appears in special scenes at the beginning and even for that, they are unwilling to change him).

Maybe they are afraid to show a regular SS using things he is not supposed to use unless he is a SSB.
Maybe they are afraid to show Trunks with blue hair if it has that thin, square-ended and regular shape from DBZ instead of the thick, spike-ending and messier style from DBS.
But then, they don't seem afraid to show SS Gogeta against Janemba using his finishing move against him in a style that matches the new Gogeta rather than the old one.

So that "faithfulness to the end" argument has some downside to it that makes you think it might be some other reason why they don't do alternate hair colors.
The reason could be that they are afraid to confuse players: no matter the colors of the clothes, the opponent has to be easy to
You may have a point there. They could easily made 17's 2nd color more like his DBZ appearance by dying his whole shirt black instead of just the sleeves but obviously opted not to.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:33 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:25 pm I think it’s a little weird that they gave Gogeta the widow’s peak he had in Movie 12.
I was surprised too, but with how much they must have watched the new movie pictures for the various animations, it had to be done willingly.
When I see the winning pose or the Dramatic Finish referencing the old Gogeta, I think they kept half of the widow's pick to make it look like the original when needed.

It's only half of the widow's peak as I said though: in the original movie, his widow's peak is as big as Vegeta's, while in this game, it is only half of Vegeta's in size. So they made a compromise by keeping it but reducing it.

In Legends, it is also present, and fully this time. It's probably more of a mistake than a choice, since it would bring them nothing to keep it.
In Dokkan Battle, they did get rid of the widow's peak in every single picture and sprite of the new Gogeta.
In Xenoverse, it's almost completely erased too.

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:46 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:25 pm I think it’s a little weird that they gave Gogeta the widow’s peak he had in Movie 12.
Not really, considering he has the Fusion Reborn Dramatic Finish.