"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Akyon
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Akyon » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:03 pm

Just got the game today(finally) on sale on Switch.

Wasn't sure if it'd be my type of game as I'm not one for traditional fighters and I'm not great at remembering button combos, but so far what little I've played I've enjoyed. Definitely going to need to practice more.

The roster is insanely good with very little filler, I genuinely can't believe it. There's only a few characters I'd really love to see that are missing and the whole presentation is gorgeous.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:32 am

Akyon wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:03 pm Just got the game today(finally) on sale on Switch.

Wasn't sure if it'd be my type of game as I'm not one for traditional fighters and I'm not great at remembering button combos, but so far what little I've played I've enjoyed. Definitely going to need to practice more.

The roster is insanely good with very little filler, I genuinely can't believe it. There's only a few characters I'd really love to see that are missing and the whole presentation is gorgeous.
What I love about this game, that unlike Tekken for example, it is accesible for casual players from the get go and you can still have tons of fun and full experience... the game starts to be competitive in rating matches, online (I don't count the Arcade Mode on hard, as that is simply rudiculous coding) and the game has lot more in gameplay than it shows. You can exploit some things in the new tutorial mode, I was amazed by few things that I still didn't know about after playing this game since release.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:04 am

MCDaveG wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:32 am What I love about this game, that unlike Tekken for example, it is accesible for casual players from the get go and you can still have tons of fun and full experience... the game starts to be competitive in rating matches, online (I don't count the Arcade Mode on hard, as that is simply rudiculous coding) and the game has lot more in gameplay than it shows. You can exploit some things in the new tutorial mode, I was amazed by few things that I still didn't know about after playing this game since release.
I'm really enjoying it so far and completely agree. This is the first fighting game I've tried that doesn't feel like I need to make notes and stress during even the basic arcade and story mode. Street Fighter 4 I ended up having to get a refund on due to it becoming unfun very quickly.

Granted it's early days, but it's so far fun without me needing to be able to memorise every button combo to pull off anything half decent.

I greatly appreciate the Simple Control option too. I know it won't help me 'git gud' but tbh, I don't much care about becoming a top competitive player anyway.

I'm here for fun, and I'm having it!
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:12 pm

finally my favorite fight on DB super has its dramatic finish :D

https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1250730803253743621

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:43 am

I think we all could have guessed Kefla v UI Goku dramatic was coming. No mention of Jiren which is interesting, I guess that fight's ending wasn't dramatic enough.

I'm curious about the comic colour variation. Are they finally bringing back the manga colour Goku that was in the beta? Can we get all-black Freeza as well? It looked so much cooler than the gray/dark red colour 12 we got.

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:24 pm

God, Omen looks awful. The hair, especially.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:11 pm

https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1251 ... 99360?s=20

This is a weird one. He's in Omen for the DF and he's got the shirt on. Are we getting an Omen skin, or does he power down for the finish ala Gogeta and Janemba? If the former, are they going to change the intro which shows him losing his shirt? And if the latter, does he also grow his shirt back for the finish somehow? Is Piccolo standing just offscreen with the clothes beam at the ready?

I hope it's a skin, but I think they might end up going the janky clothes regrowing version.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:18 pm

the guide is not very clear to give a verdict but the shirt catches my attention :lol:

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:35 pm

I hope its a skin too, no excuse for having the shirt magically appear when frickin Videl has a literal alternate skin thats completely different from her default.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:33 pm

For Videl, if I remember well, it's alternate hair with the costume being a recolor like all other fighters. This is why she has something, because it's just about giving the illusion of a whole other costume by simply creating alternate hair. Great Saiyaman also has an alternate head, keeping the same body (= 90% of the model).

It's unusual, but it could be an extra costume (or rather half an extra costume) for Goku, not when comparing him to Videl, but when comparing him to DBS Broly.
Think about DBS Broly and it's like he has two costumes as well since he can lose his armor in battle, so they had to device an "alternate half of a costume" for all of his sprites once he breaks his armors. And if they did it for Broly, perhaps they're willing to do it for Goku.

So DBS Broly with an alternate upper body or Ultra Instinct Goku with an alternate upper body (and hair recolor), that seems actually possible.
This begs the question of his intro, since it might be a little weird if Goku concentrates from his "signs of Ultra Instinct" form and then there's a burst of energy and then... nothing, he's still in his "signs" form. Maybe he has an alternate intro for his alternate skin, but that's starting to imply a lot of unusual extra work for a character.

Actually, maybe it's what the section on the bottom right of the page is about, given the picture that has nothing special except showing Goku in this form. Maybe they're saying that this form will be in the game.

Other than that, the picture is very small and not easy to see, but I don't see how those "manga color" Gokus are different from the ones we have: the costume seems to be basically the same color, the boots don't have the white lines of the color edition but the usual red lines... I think it could be interesting, but just with that small picture of a page being photographed, I can't clearly see any difference yet.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:04 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:35 pm I hope its a skin too, no excuse for having the shirt magically appear when frickin Videl has a literal alternate skin thats completely different from her default.
... and Majin Vegeta, or Krillin with hair... they playin games...
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:05 am

Cold Skin wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:33 pm Other than that, the picture is very small and not easy to see, but I don't see how those "manga color" Gokus are different from the ones we have: the costume seems to be basically the same color, the boots don't have the white lines of the color edition but the usual red lines... I think it could be interesting, but just with that small picture of a page being photographed, I can't clearly see any difference yet.
Clearer image.

It is based on how Toriyama's colors with the yamabuki-iro gi and azure blue not necessarily the FC. The color was actually previously available for SSJ Goku in the FZ Beta as his color 2.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:08 pm

^ Thanks. Basically lighter orange and lighter blue, I think it looks much better than the original colors.
Too bad it's only for Goku (but it's the famous Goku day after all).

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:07 am

mmm ...

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:13 am

Tai Lung wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:07 am mmm ...
Probably the final frame of the dramatic finish, I don't think it's his regular outro with an Omen skin.

Yo'Goodfella
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yo'Goodfella » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:10 am

Hi guys! Just wanted to ask, how is the AI in this game at max level? I am struggling to clear the last Tournament of Power and I guess the AI is at its maximum here.
Pretty much a guy who has been really late on catching up with Dragonball and Fighterz.

I'm really not an expert on the matter, but I like to think.

Meito

Post by Meito » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:28 am

MCDaveG wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:35 am Getting Paikuhan would be pretty obscure... sure, he can go against Janemba in-universe wise, but if it is someone getting smashed by Cell, I am afraid it will be Satan. No offense, I will have him rather than Paikuhan and it makes more sense to get Satan (of course he will be called Hercule in US and Europe :roll: ). On the other hand, weak in-universe, he can be pretty fun in serious fighter, where he will play on par with others and not being total joke gameplaywise, but visually.
Soooo... Mr. Satan, Roshi and Li Shenron???
IMHO Paikuhan is a filler character that has too few moves and references...
Instead, a return of Satan would be so funny to play with! I remember him from the first Budokai with his dymamite kick, rolling satan punch and other weird moves. It would be great if he could charge his ki with a whistle like he did in Ultimate Battle 22, or throwing little bombs instead of ki blasts. And of course super dashing with his jetpack..!

Roshi would be a nice addiction too... Looking forward for his drunken fighting style moves.

In both cases we would get tons of special quotes for intros and outros!

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:29 pm

Paikuhan isn't exactly obscure and has been a regular in DB games. Not that I think there is any real weight to the twitter comment to start.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:25 am

I'd love to get SSJ4 Gogeta. He could fight with just his feet and have some kind of gimmick where he has joke attacks.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:55 pm

You know, I think the perfect character for DLC would be the Time Patroller from Xenoverse. It would be obscure, but his gimmick of being able to program him with any move from the other characters could convince a lot of people to get him. I even say that to even unlock moves from the other DLC characters, you'd have to buy the original DLC, so more people on the fence for other characters will be willing to buy them for their moves.