"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Makaioshin » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:35 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:18 pm Obviously, but wasn’t that a leak?
Not directly. There was an unused Gogeta line datamined where he talks about not feeling any hits. The context of this line in the series is that Gogeta says it to Super Yi Xing Long but it could have just been an unused generic line. Have to just wait and see. All the major characters from the second half of the manga and all of Super are already in this game so it wouldn't be surprising to see Yi show up.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:56 pm

Makaioshin wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:35 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:18 pm Obviously, but wasn’t that a leak?
Not directly. There was an unused Gogeta line datamined where he talks about not feeling any hits. The context of this line in the series is that Gogeta says it to Super Yi Xing Long but it could have just been an unused generic line. Have to just wait and see. All the major characters from the second half of the manga and all of Super are already in this game so it wouldn't be surprising to see Yi show up.
I think it would be odd if GT Goku were the only character from that show to be in this game. Plus, I think more people would be excited about him than someone like Toppo or Ribrianne.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:06 am

Let's say Omega is the next one, who would make the most sense for the final DLC? Not in a "I want this" sense, but in a logical sense.

It was always half and half, protagonist-antagonist, Kefla, Goku, Roshi, "Omega".. Then someone neutral or a protagonist? I guess Toppo could work, Chi-Chi doesn't use ki at all, Raditz is the only Z character not included that meant something. Yeah it's either Toppo or Raditz

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:46 am

mute_proxy wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:06 am Let's say Omega is the next one, who would make the most sense for the final DLC? Not in a "I want this" sense, but in a logical sense.

It was always half and half, protagonist-antagonist, Kefla, Goku, Roshi, "Omega".. Then someone neutral or a protagonist? I guess Toppo could work, Chi-Chi doesn't use ki at all, Raditz is the only Z character not included that meant something. Yeah it's either Toppo or Raditz
So far, every single character in S3 seems to be both A) a character in Super and B) a character from the ToP. The only characters I see fitting the bill are

Toppo (requested, ToP char & can work with a Jiren team)

Ribrianne (requested, female combatant, gag character, ToP character, unique moveset)

yet another Vegeta (Evolution/Majin) (requested, ToP character, could have dramatic finish vs Toppo)

Frost (ToP character, model more or less ready, could have dramatic finish vs Vegeta or Roshi, fills a Frieza race-only team)

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:56 am

mute_proxy wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:06 am Let's say Omega is the next one, who would make the most sense for the final DLC? Not in a "I want this" sense, but in a logical sense.

I'm pretty sure omega will be the end of the season ...
i think raditz or dabura might be better options

but if the rumors are true and they are all TOP characters ..
Toppo and ribrianne

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:34 am

FoolsGil wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:24 pm
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:49 pm Update from producer Tomoko Hiroki.

* Dev team would like to implement rollback netcode but it's technically difficulty to support.
FTP game Fantasy Strike, made by an indie company, so indie they're even funded by Patreon, day 1 had rollback netcode. So I'm gonna call BS on difficulty to support.

As long as it gets done, I won't complain though. but these japanese companies needs to stop bsing. It had to take them being embarrassed by online tournament attempts to even accept they need to do better.
You're comparing game built from the ground up to include rollback vs. a game that isn't, that has to inject it and rebuild the game around it. That's two completely different tasks.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:27 am

So I remember when 3/4 months ago, someone found 18's screen quote with Master Roshi in the files and people immediately said that it was fake, but in the end it wasn't since Roshi is sctually coming.

Well, that same person found another quote, this time Goku's, that said like "You're not my brother!" or something like that, so I guess the last two characters will be Omega Shenron and Raditz.

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:30 am

Nickolaidas wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:46 am

So far, every single character in S3 seems to be both A) a character in Super and B) a character from the ToP. The only characters I see fitting the bill are

Ribrianne (requested, female combatant, gag character, ToP character, unique moveset)

yet another Vegeta (Evolution/Majin) (requested, ToP character, could have dramatic finish vs Toppo)

Frost (ToP character, model more or less ready, could have dramatic finish vs Vegeta or Roshi, fills a Frieza race-only team)
Roshi wasn't added because he participated in the ToP. He's in because THOUSANDS of people kept asking Bandai to put him in for two years, and in the end they HAD to do it.

He wears his ToP outfit 'cause it's the most recent one, like Tien.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:08 am

Zamasu55 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:30 am
Nickolaidas wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:46 am

Roshi wasn't added because he participated in the ToP. He's in because THOUSANDS of people kept asking Bandai to put him in for two years, and in the end they HAD to do it.

He wears his ToP outfit 'cause it's the most recent one, like Tien.
His performance/presence in the ToP probably helped boost his popularity and reinvigorate interest. And please refrain from stating your speculation as fact. You could be right, I could be right, unless there is an official comment on this, we cannot know.

Anyways, is it safe to assume the 4th character will be announced in December, where the final of the DBFighterZ show is going to air?

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:21 am

Nickolaidas wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:08 am
Anyways, is it safe to assume the 4th character will be announced in December, where the final of the DBFighterZ show is going to air?
It should be faster than that, the season pass usually ends with the year, the 5th final one should come out December

Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:37 pm

I'm absolutely stoked to see Roshi announced as playable. I was wondering if he'd be in his skinny or semi-buff state. It would be cool if he could "bulk up" as a super. I expect he'll have his MAX Kamehameha as a super.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:35 pm

I've gotten bored of speculating about new characters in this game. I think it's the discourse around it- as someone who still plays semi-regularly, I get to see that a lot of what people say they want and don't want doesn't bear out in-game.

For instance, the big meme about this game is that there are too many Gokus, too many Saiyans, too many variants of existing characters. And yet when you actually go into online matches, the most common characters you see are Bardock, UI Goku, GT Goku, Base Vegeta, Vegetto and the Brolys. Even low-tier Gokus or Goku-likes such as SSku, Black and Gogeta are relatively common. By contrast, characters people say they want like Videl, Janemba and Kefla? Never see them. Sure with Videl it's because she's bad, but Kefla and Janemba are both fine. Not exceptional, but solid and worth putting on your team if you care that much about them.

It'll be the same with Roshi- unless he turns out to be stupid good, people will probably play him for two weeks and then go back to their Saiyan teams. Same with whoever comes after him.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:53 am

Kataphrut wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:35 pm I've gotten bored of speculating about new characters in this game. I think it's the discourse around it- as someone who still plays semi-regularly, I get to see that a lot of what people say they want and don't want doesn't bear out in-game.

For instance, the big meme about this game is that there are too many Gokus, too many Saiyans, too many variants of existing characters. And yet when you actually go into online matches, the most common characters you see are Bardock, UI Goku, GT Goku, Base Vegeta, Vegetto and the Brolys. Even low-tier Gokus or Goku-likes such as SSku, Black and Gogeta are relatively common. By contrast, characters people say they want like Videl, Janemba and Kefla? Never see them. Sure with Videl it's because she's bad, but Kefla and Janemba are both fine. Not exceptional, but solid and worth putting on your team if you care that much about them.

It'll be the same with Roshi- unless he turns out to be stupid good, people will probably play him for two weeks and then go back to their Saiyan teams. Same with whoever comes after him.
I actually play Kefla in core team. People get used to UI Goku, but you can read him well as he is all gimicky, but Kefla can still surprise people with her vanish, side-mid air kick and fast heavy attack. I like her a lot and I have originally thought that she will be my least favorite. Also, her level 3 is a beast if you catch the player off-guard. Janemba is fun, but I don’t enjoy Videl at all, even offline. But if someone can use her competitively, would be nice to see that actually and I would gladly get beaten with her... but you are right, I see lot of Bardocks, UI Gokus and the Super Broly... I wonder if Goku SSJB will get nerfed, because I have exploited a combo with him using his breaking overhead kick, which can piss the opponent a lot as there is no time to guard from his combo afterwards and I have learned to chain him in nevereding pummeling so unless the opponent breaks from it, when I usually make a mistake, I can destroy one team with SSJ Blue Goku... and I also play Kid Buu a lot, the candy ray and gum ball are fun gimmicks in online (plus he regenerates by chewing on opponent).
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:45 am

MCDaveG wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:53 am
Kataphrut wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:35 pm I've gotten bored of speculating about new characters in this game. I think it's the discourse around it- as someone who still plays semi-regularly, I get to see that a lot of what people say they want and don't want doesn't bear out in-game.

I actually play Kefla in core team. People get used to UI Goku, but you can read him well as he is all gimicky, but Kefla can still surprise people with her vanish, side-mid air kick and fast heavy attack. I like her a lot and I have originally thought that she will be my least favorite. Also, her level 3 is a beast if you catch the player off-guard. Janemba is fun, but I don’t enjoy Videl at all, even offline. But if someone can use her competitively, would be nice to see that actually and I would gladly get beaten with her... but you are right, I see lot of Bardocks, UI Gokus and the Super Broly... I wonder if Goku SSJB will get nerfed, because I have exploited a combo with him using his breaking overhead kick, which can piss the opponent a lot as there is no time to guard from his combo afterwards and I have learned to chain him in nevereding pummeling so unless the opponent breaks from it, when I usually make a mistake, I can destroy one team with SSJ Blue Goku... and I also play Kid Buu a lot, the candy ray and gum ball are fun gimmicks in online (plus he regenerates by chewing on opponent).
Blue Goku is really good, way better than he ever seems to get credit for. The overhead kick is not so bad once you know it's coming because it's unsafe on block (though it's better than Gogeta's overhead smash 5LLL, which is safe, but also a free 2H if you read it), but he's got Base Vegeta's EX rocket kick, good screen control, and his command grab is really tough to react to. He's up there with Broly as characters I am scared to block against go.

I main Kefla as well, she's probably the strongest character on my team at the moment- I seem to have let myself go as Freeza lately, I keep dropping stuff with him. She's heaps of fun, simple but effective. I just rarely run into other Kefla players. Last one I did was using a gimmick all-waifu team with her, 18 and 21 and was playing like a total weirdo. Kept spamming light auto-combo and vanishing on block, was always ending combos with air supers even when it wasn't optimal. I'm ashamed to admit they won the set because I got thrown off by what they were doing.

I don't think Kefla's as good as UI Goku, but I think UI Goku has some bullshit aspects that really need changing. His 5L hitbox doesn't need to be that big, his 2H is unpunishable, it's hard to reliably counter the flips and his tech option forces you to give up a turn unless you make two reads in a row (one for the tech, one for the inevitable vanish/counter). Sometimes it feels like the best you can do is try and bait him into making a mistake. I think the next balance patch is going to focus on assists (goodbye Bardock B) but I hope they give UI Goku a look-in.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:32 am

I thought they'd use buff Roshi as the base for him.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:09 am

No superdash!

https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1295716096797016071

You madmen, what have you done?

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:19 am

Kataphrut wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:09 am No superdash!

Leaping with technique. So a reverse kamehameha instead of a dash?

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:25 am

mute_proxy wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:19 am

Leaping with technique. So a reverse kamehameha instead of a dash?
No idea, we'll have to wait and see when the scans come out. Maybe it's just a way to follow up his launchers?

All the other moves make sense- thundershock and hypnosis, both of which appear to be unblockable, a level 1 max power attack (possibly with Kamehameha level 2?) and of course a level 3 bulked up max power Kamehameha.

There was another translation I saw saying that Mafuba will force a character switch, which would be interesting.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:34 am

With the superdash being one of the most useful mechanics in the game, I definitely see Roshi being at the mercy of zoners unless that leaping technique is really, REALLY good.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:40 am

Nickolaidas wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:34 am

With the superdash being one of the most useful mechanics in the game, I definitely see Roshi being at the mercy of zoners unless that leaping technique is really, REALLY good.
I mean, god forbid this game should cater to playstyles other than rushdown...

If this leaping thing is still projectile immune, then it'll just be superdash by a different name. If it isn't, and doesn't have superdash's insane tracking, then it'll be the thing every character should have had.