"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LightBing
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by LightBing » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:33 pm

His neutral is ridiculous. Also can't wait for the combo videos, Apology Man's combo was already insane.
He's going to be weird against less used characters, who can remember all the assists.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:46 pm

How would you recat if Tullece was a DLC fighter for Season 4?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:29 am

I like how they were like "he's only got one way to get sliding apart from air DR" and everyone was like "ohh...". But then they were like "it doesn't matter because check out these ki blasts!"

He looks like he's going to be a lot of fun. I wonder where he'll end up being played- his solo combo potential and assist theft screams anchor, but he also looks like he might struggle to open people up without assists once they get wise to his neutral.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:49 pm

The game's announcer calls him Super Baby 2 and not just Baby or Baby Vegeta. I always find that to be strange.
She/Her

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:21 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:49 pm The game's announcer calls him Super Baby 2 and not just Baby or Baby Vegeta. I always find that to be strange.
Calling him "Baby" would be wrong as it's not just Baby himself so i guess they didn't want to do that as that could suggest you are playing as Baby on his own.
He could perhaps call him Baby Vegeta, although if you look at other games like Tenkaichi 3 for example, his forms are not really threated as regular forms, but entire character name change instead. So it's not "Baby Vegeta (Super Baby 2)" or anything like that. Kinda like you don't have "Majin Buu (Kid form)" but "Kid Buu" in all games, including FighterZ. Baby Vegeta was a name of his first form rather than base name of character, as everyone kept calling him Baby in anime anyway. So i guess they couldn't use that.

You can see his forms being described here:
viewtopic.php?t=14812

So Vegeta-Baby (known as Baby Vegeta in english translation) is just his first form. Maybe they could just call him "Super Baby" as Super Baby 2 is in fact just short version of Super Baby (Strongest Form 2). btw. imagine announcer actually reading that lol. I believe Final Bout actually called him "Super Baby" even in his Oozaru form and GT Transformation on GBA also reffered to him as "Super Baby Vegeta".
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:03 pm

Really hyped for Baby and will definitely have a go at maining him. Just have to figure out which character he will replace.
Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:46 pm How would you recat if Tullece was a DLC fighter for Season 4?
Tullece is one of my main wants for Fighterz, so I'd be pretty pleased.
sunsetshimmer wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:21 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:49 pm The game's announcer calls him Super Baby 2 and not just Baby or Baby Vegeta. I always find that to be strange.
Calling him "Baby" would be wrong as it's not just Baby himself so i guess they didn't want to do that as that could suggest you are playing as Baby on his own.
But it's pretty much just Baby. Vegeta's body has no influence on his personality, and he's more or less completely altered his form. There's straight up no trace of Vegeta left in that form

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:32 pm

Calling him Baby or Baby Vegeta would have been fine. Super Baby 2 is just one of those dumb marketing names that they're bound to use but would be smarter to avoid saying out loud. See also Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:30 am

Ringworm128 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:03 pm But it's pretty much just Baby. Vegeta's body has no influence on his personality, and he's more or less completely altered his form. There's straight up no trace of Vegeta left in that form
Idk, i mean no one really called Goku Black "Zamasu" either and that's basically who he was.
I still think "Super Baby" would be just the best option for announcer to read. Or just stick to "Baby Vegeta" which is how entire community calls him regardless of form anyway. Not sure how it looks in Japan though. No idea if they simplify his name or use official names when talking about him.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:46 pm

Does anyone know if Baby has any special interactions with the characters in the game yet.
She/Her

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:58 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:46 pm Does anyone know if Baby has any special interactions with the characters in the game yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHND2cJwrf8

Tbh it's kinda disappointing. Has few dialogues with Gohan or Trunks that are more one-sided (no one really recognizes him). Most interesting part is probably mocking all fusions and laughing at all DBS transformations. For some reason he has no unique intro for GT Goku either, which is very weird. No idea if it has something to do with covid so they couldn't record any dialogues for characters toward him.

Also, let me just say how awful his english version is. FUNimation made his Oozaru form speak like generic giant monkey, even though it's not the case in japanese version. In anime, even in english dub, his voice didn't change after transforming. Why change it now?

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:16 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:58 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:46 pm Does anyone know if Baby has any special interactions with the characters in the game yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHND2cJwrf8

Tbh it's kinda disappointing. Has few dialogues with Gohan or Trunks that are more one-sided (no one really recognizes him). Most interesting part is probably mocking all fusions and laughing at all DBS transformations. For some reason he has no unique intro for GT Goku either, which is very weird. No idea if it has something to do with covid so they couldn't record any dialogues for characters toward him.

Also, let me just say how awful his english version is. FUNimation made his Oozaru form speak like generic giant monkey, even though it's not the case in japanese version. In anime, even in english dub, his voice didn't change after transforming. Why change it now?
I don't think the dub version's bad, though some of the lines make it very obvious that this is the same guy who plays Master Roshi. As for adding the Oozaru filter, my guess is consistency? They have deep filtered voices in the dub, no reason Baby shouldn't.

His lines are pretty good, I'm guessing they just weren't able to bring in any other voice actors or didn't think it was worth it, so they kept his interactions one-sided. Sometimes they go back and do it retroactively- Freeza didn't have any unique dialogue with the season 2 characters, but then they went and added some when season 3 came out and gave him the dramatic finish with Jiren.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:02 am

Kataphrut wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:16 pm I don't think the dub version's bad, though some of the lines make it very obvious that this is the same guy who plays Master Roshi. As for adding the Oozaru filter, my guess is consistency? They have deep filtered voices in the dub, no reason Baby shouldn't.
If something, this is inconsistency. His voice never changed in anime dub or other games where his Oozaru form appeared, so there is no reason to change it now. His voice might have had a bit different tone both in sub and dub, but it was still the same voice, kinda like Goku SSJ3 and SSJ4 had a bit deeper voice. New one is completely different and make him sound deeper than in Final Bout english version.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:58 pm

OK, Baby is here... I love the look, I love the original voice actor, but this character after few gameplays is to me on par with Videl.
He feels kinda sluggish to me and somehow, every new character so far did it for me, but Baby leaves me kinda dissapointed?

Also, I was expecting more lines and interaction with him towards other characters. And even Videl was better, she fitted the Z roster and her gameplay with Saiyaman is kinda fun... there is almost nothing from him and GT Goku towards each other.

GT Goku felt as a nice extra and bonus character, as he is pretty much best of original series kid and GT Goku with all transformations and homages and plays great.
Baby to me is just a random toss-in and I am not even looking forward for third Goku and Vegeta fusion...

Kinda feels like this is the last season and the team ran out of ideas, so let's just fill last two slots with what looks cool and be done with it.
Baby and SSJ4 Gogeta, really random to me in the end.
I am not saying that I won't play with SSJ4 Gogeta and he might turn out great, but at least, if the Ishinron/Syn Shenron was in instead of Baby.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:56 pm

There has to be some kind of Covid-related reason for not having GT Goku interact with Baby. He would be the number one choice for any interactions with him. Perhaps that is also the reason for the lack of a Dramatic Finish since Baby's ending would lend itself extremely well for it.
Interesting how they used the Oozaru special, even though I always seem to trigger the Super Gallic Gun one instead of the punching one from the trailer. Seeing this, they could have added a similar lvl3 for base Vegeta as many people were anticipating when he was getting released.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:28 pm

Random idea, what if they split the middle row the same as the third one and throw in a 'special bonus character' Omega to go with Gogeta?
(having trouble seeing a whole new season being placed, and can't accept Gogeta without an Omega) :)

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:43 pm

Jord wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:56 pm There has to be some kind of Covid-related reason for not having GT Goku interact with Baby. He would be the number one choice for any interactions with him. Perhaps that is also the reason for the lack of a Dramatic Finish since Baby's ending would lend itself extremely well for it.
Interesting how they used the Oozaru special, even though I always seem to trigger the Super Gallic Gun one instead of the punching one from the trailer. Seeing this, they could have added a similar lvl3 for base Vegeta as many people were anticipating when he was getting released.
The Galick Gun special is triggered when you're one character down, similar to GT Goku going SS4 for Dragon Fist. And yeah, they could have done something similar for base Vegeta but you never know. The season 3 characters seem to be a lot more detailed, both visually and in terms of moveset. I guess releasing fewer characters over the course of the year has given them more time to condense the quality and create flashier cinematics.

The only thing that gets me about the lack of extra VO is Gogeta is coming next, which means Nozawa and Horikawa are coming back at minimum, which should mean their other characters (aka like a third of the flippin' roster) could have new lines as well. So logically it shouldn't be that hard to add- the one character people wanted so see interact with Baby was GT Goku, followed by Goku Black.

Also the fun thing about Nozawa having so many roles is every time she gets called in, so does Sean Schemmel, Colleen Clinkebeard, Kyle Hebert, Sonny Strait and/or Kara Edwards.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:45 am

Don't get my hopes up guys, I would really love to get Omega Shenron as a bonus character and call it a day!
Then I will be happy and this will be the best DB game I have ever got.

I don't know if the game got tweaked but not playing it for like two months, I probably got rusty.

Anyway, don't know how is the Covid going in Japan and how it affects professional work, so I can't speculate if that is the reason we haven't got more interactions or this is just it. But yeah, we have got Dramatic Finish for Jiren as a late update, so everything might happen, but I don't see things like Vegeta getting altered to get Oozaru. I think it will be just unique to Baby.

Also, it is nice to see get Vegeta posessed, but it's quite lazy compared to the other intro animation (and I get it, that they would have to make another character model for GT Vegeta, but come on, even Janemba or Cooler have ones) and I would love to see more of Vegeta's face, his hair turning grey and then the energy sphere transformation. But kinda works in my in-game-head-cannon, that he might be possesing Z era look of Vegeta and I definitely think that they are using his actual model.
There was a guy on youtube who did videos of FighterZ, where he took control of the camera and we saw a lot of behind the scenes, even tough it was clunky and weird at times as Arc Sys is using this unique animation technique, but I was surprised to see that Gotenks actually really transforms into Super Saiyan stages as a full character in the intro and it is just cropped and focused by the camera shots used in the end. Would love to see how the Baby transformation looks like with full model before he emerges from the mist of hate :)

Anyways, as a model, Baby looks superb, faithful and the animations in fight as well. Arc Sys really nails the look of the franchise.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:49 am

Kataphrut wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:43 pm Also the fun thing about Nozawa having so many roles is every time she gets called in, so does Sean Schemmel, Colleen Clinkebeard, Kyle Hebert, Sonny Strait and/or Kara Edwards.
Considering leaked lines from months back, I do think all the voices are pre recorded at least a year back.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:06 am

mute_proxy wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:49 am
Kataphrut wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:43 pm Also the fun thing about Nozawa having so many roles is every time she gets called in, so does Sean Schemmel, Colleen Clinkebeard, Kyle Hebert, Sonny Strait and/or Kara Edwards.
Considering leaked lines from months back, I do think all the voices are pre recorded at least a year back.
I think so as well, to such extent. Of course, localization won't get info beforehand until they are sometime before release, but Arc Sys must definitely have a plan and it definitely doesn't work like: ''OK, let's put out DLC, with another 5 characters... let's put out Goku first and then we will see on the go... Goku is released, now who we will do next?''

There must be a roadmap, so yeah, I believe they might be able to pre-record some lines in preproduction phase after/concurent (well, definitely before, so they can use some lines in ads and promo, but when the plan is set) to the announcement of next DLC wave... also, with so many Dragon Ball games at the same time and using the same voice actors, can they recyle some lines for example from DB Legends, Xenoverse, or Kakarot? Or is it one IP, one recording session, to mantain the same and consistent quality for one product? I know that for example, for rapid transit in Prague, when new stations are added, they rerecord the whole line with the announcer, to be consistent in quality and delivery. And also, are they going the opposite way and are the Japanese actors not ad-libing the lines into existing animation, but record them without pre-exisiting material?

So many questions :)

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:40 am

Apparently a glitch with the patch caused thousand profile data deletions in the game, as well as shutting out android 21.