"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:55 am

Awwwww sad :cry:
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:28 am

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:55 am Awwwww sad :cry:
Thought you were talking about regular #21. I didn't even remember that Good #21 was a thing.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:28 am

Yeah no biggy. A lil bummed tho I prefer Good 21 than Evil 21 lol her sadistic face when she say sorry before blasting her opponent is priceless :lol:
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:21 pm

I was watching a video compilation someone made of all the supers in this game, and I had no idea that evil 21 has a unique super used only in her last boss fight.

It's nothing special, it's basically a souped up version of Fat Buu's level 1 with a long charge up (similar to Recoome's Ultra Fighting Bomber actually) but still.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:25 pm

Been hearing nothing but raves about Guilty Gear Strive's rollback netcode following the recent beta. Given that it's the same developer and publisher, I hope we'll be able to see something like that come to FighterZ in the near-future.

I haven't played the game much recently, but in my last few sessions the delay made it really hard to have a good match. I even got dropped down to SSG rank again after some abysmal matches against some red bar players (though that could also be chalked up to rust) but luckily I was able to recover my points and my Blue rank fairly quickly.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:48 pm

You know what character has really grown on me lately? Piccolo. It took me ages to get used to his playstyle and I never would've foreseen me ever playing him outside of arcade mode, but I'd say I've been doing surprisingly well with him as an anchor. They definitely buffed him a lot with patches as I could never get his reverse shoulder charge attack to connect with anything, now it seems way faster. Also, his cross-ups and tracking can be filthy. Very underrated in this game. I came across one of the sweatiest players I've ever seen maining the cheapest, greasiest team: UI Goku, Vegetto and Gogeta, and by some miracle I pulled out a win. With Piccolo and Krillin (and Kefla... come on, gotta have one braindead character). FighterZ is like Bizarro-Dragon Ball sometimes.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:39 am

Kataphrut wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:25 pm Been hearing nothing but raves about Guilty Gear Strive's rollback netcode following the recent beta. Given that it's the same developer and publisher, I hope we'll be able to see something like that come to FighterZ in the near-future.
I'll say it's chance is near to null for FighterZ to ever get it. It's really hard to implement it on a current game and not really worth the effort from a monetarily point of view.

FighterZ 2 however might luck out. The only reason I don't see it getting is if Bandai straight up tells ArcSys not to use it.

Recently there was a roundtable of fighting game devs, almost everyone choose to deflect when the rollback netcode was brought up. Bandai has proven to be disingenuous in this regard.

Once Strive releases it might mark a change in the Japanese fighting game landscape.
I think people won't stand for crappy netcode anymore and sales will be affected.

If Strive turns out to be that good, I certainly won't touch any other game without rollback and that doesn't release simultaneous on PC; the exception is FighterZ 2 but the IP is far too important for me and FighterZ was really good.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:39 am

Wonder about Strive really... I played the Beta and for the first time since playing this series from X till Xrd, it somehow felt off and I didn't enjoy it... + with the multiplayer issues. If I haven't been fan of Guilty Gear, I would not touch the game at all, because the multiplayer player base here dies pretty fast after release in contrast to popular IPs like Dragon Ball, Tekken or even Street Fighter.

So it is beyond me, when they care obviously about their flagship Guilty Gear and are eager to fix such issues even tho CG is smaller and more for a niche audience, but Dragon Ball is left in dust.

My friend who plays Tekken on professional level and attends tournaments was so frustrated with FighterZ, that he was pissed at me for a short time that I have recommended this game to him. And frankly, sometimes the Multiplayer is frustrating in FighterZ, as only a handfull of people have good connections and still, it lags sometimes.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:02 am

I don't see FighterZ 2 happening till the Moro arc is covered in the DBS anime in some form.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:14 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:02 am I don't see FighterZ 2 happening till the Moro arc is covered in the DBS anime in some form.
Why would they need that? FighterZ 2 can just take material and characters from other sources, like the movies, anime original or make original content (like they did with A21).
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:49 am

MCDaveG wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:39 am Wonder about Strive really... I played the Beta and for the first time since playing this series from X till Xrd, it somehow felt off and I didn't enjoy it... + with the multiplayer issues. If I haven't been fan of Guilty Gear, I would not touch the game at all, because the multiplayer player base here dies pretty fast after release in contrast to popular IPs like Dragon Ball, Tekken or even Street Fighter.

So it is beyond me, when they care obviously about their flagship Guilty Gear and are eager to fix such issues even tho CG is smaller and more for a niche audience, but Dragon Ball is left in dust.

My friend who plays Tekken on professional level and attends tournaments was so frustrated with FighterZ, that he was pissed at me for a short time that I have recommended this game to him. And frankly, sometimes the Multiplayer is frustrating in FighterZ, as only a handfull of people have good connections and still, it lags sometimes.
They only introduced rollback after a lot of outcry, which was only stronger than normal because of the pandemic and how it exposed so many games crappy online. They had to remake the netcode, which was much easier to do than in a finished game like FighterZ.

I guarantee all games henceforth by ArcSys will have rollback since the reception has been so good and should reflect in the sales.

I'm predicting that Strive will sell like hotcakes, it might not reach FighterZ numbers but will by far sell more than their Guilty Gear and BlazBlue franchises.

In general I have pretty good games in FighterZ but my connection is great and I only accept 3 bars minimum. That said sometimes I still catch games where it feels I'm under water which immediately makes me want to turn it off.
It's just not acceptable for a game genre where it's main appeal is to player against others. Japanese devs for some reason bury their head in the sand.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:54 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:02 am I don't see FighterZ 2 happening till the Moro arc is covered in the DBS anime in some form.
I expect FighterZ to get the same long term support that XV2 has received. I think it's safe to say that a season 4 will be among the announcements made during this game event they have coming up next week.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:09 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:14 am
Why would they need that? FighterZ 2 can just take material and characters from other sources, like the movies, anime original or make original content (like they did with A21).
The anime series is by far the most recognizable property of DBS so they'd rather give the player base a character they know.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:57 pm

If giving characters they know is a requierement they can still pull any character out from anything pre-DBSuper, the have a big poll to chose from.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:22 pm

The only thing we would miss on by including a non-anime character like Moro, would be his voice and the interactions with Goku, Vegeta and Buu. They could always replace that with some generic grunts or screams, I'd doubt we'd be pissed about it considering Moro has no VA.

Or... they could hire someone who'd be close to Moro's characterization and go with it. Other route would be asking Toei which VA they have in mind for him if they were to animate the Moro arc, and hire that guy using dialogue from the manga.

Moro wouldn't sell because he hasn't been animated yet? I doubt that, if created properly, he should be more than an interesting addition to the roster. They probably have a more than decent marketing department capable of selling us his DLC.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:55 am

As much as I'm curious to see Moro in either this game or a sequel, I wouldn't want another Hit or Goku Black situation where he's shoved into loads of titles before Toei have committed to the character's portrayal. I'm pretty sure it's thanks to Xenoverse that Sean Schemmel started doing that godawful posh accent switcheroo for Goku Black, and iirc Hit was an incomplete mess in early builds of XV2.

For FighterZ 2, what would you guys think if they replace transformation characters with era-specific versions of the characters? So, like in the old Budokai games where you could play as Saiyan arc Goku, Buu arc Goku, etc and go through his transformation cycles from those specific points in his life. The obvious issue with that would be how to visually distinguish the different versions, but I think that could be easily remedied by giving them different stances as well as tweaking their costumes. Give Saiyan arc Vegeta his iconic Oozaru stance, give Cell arc Vegeta a cocky relaxed stance, give Majin Vegeta his "bring it" stance and so on.

... Or would you rather they just don't bother with character variations at all?

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:41 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:55 am As much as I'm curious to see Moro in either this game or a sequel, I wouldn't want another Hit or Goku Black situation where he's shoved into loads of titles before Toei have committed to the character's portrayal. I'm pretty sure it's thanks to Xenoverse that Sean Schemmel started doing that godawful posh accent switcheroo for Goku Black, and iirc Hit was an incomplete mess in early builds of XV2.

For FighterZ 2, what would you guys think if they replace transformation characters with era-specific versions of the characters? So, like in the old Budokai games where you could play as Saiyan arc Goku, Buu arc Goku, etc and go through his transformation cycles from those specific points in his life. The obvious issue with that would be how to visually distinguish the different versions, but I think that could be easily remedied by giving them different stances as well as tweaking their costumes. Give Saiyan arc Vegeta his iconic Oozaru stance, give Cell arc Vegeta a cocky relaxed stance, give Majin Vegeta his "bring it" stance and so on.

... Or would you rather they just don't bother with character variations at all?
That's basically what the transformations are- Base Goku and Vegeta are the Saiyan/Namek versions of those characters, you can see it in their moves and the difference in their design compared to the later versions. The Super Saiyan forms are them in the Android/Buu era, the Blues are roughly them in the early Super era, with UI Goku covering the ToP for Goku. GT Goku is an interesting case where it's predominantly Goku from GT, but also has elements of original kid Goku and Path to Power.

I don't think the game needs more beyond that. Even the current situation with multiple Gokus is already a punchline, nobody but the hardcore DB fans would care if we also have like specific versions of Goku for say Cell and Buu. And as for why those couldn't be skins, it's the usual argument that pops up every time- it isn't worth the extra development to add new costumes or animations for different versions of the same character.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:36 am

I would love to see a new story mode with the other characters that didn't make it into the first three chapters. They could have #21 make a machine that rips a hole in space & time that summons characters from the past (Saiyan Saga Vegeta), GT, DBZ Movies, Universe 6 and Universe 11. Imagine Saiyan Saga Vegeta interacting with his future self, that would be funny to see.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:13 am

Kataphrut wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:41 pm That's basically what the transformations are- Base Goku and Vegeta are the Saiyan/Namek versions of those characters, you can see it in their moves and the difference in their design compared to the later versions. The Super Saiyan forms are them in the Android/Buu era, the Blues are roughly them in the early Super era, with UI Goku covering the ToP for Goku. GT Goku is an interesting case where it's predominantly Goku from GT, but also has elements of original kid Goku and Path to Power.

I don't think the game needs more beyond that. Even the current situation with multiple Gokus is already a punchline, nobody but the hardcore DB fans would care if we also have like specific versions of Goku for say Cell and Buu. And as for why those couldn't be skins, it's the usual argument that pops up every time- it isn't worth the extra development to add new costumes or animations for different versions of the same character.
Good point. I get that Ultra Instinct Goku is basically "Tournament of Power Goku", especially with that annoying grab move which he originally used in his base form against Rozie. I think it would be a neat feature for each version to start off in base form and be able to transform during matches, but as you say, it would take too much time and effort to distinguish them all.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:50 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:36 am I would love to see a new story mode with the other characters that didn't make it into the first three chapters. They could have #21 make a machine that rips a hole in space & time that summons characters from the past (Saiyan Saga Vegeta), GT, DBZ Movies, Universe 6 and Universe 11. Imagine Saiyan Saga Vegeta interacting with his future self, that would be funny to see.
So many interactions could happen, that would be a cool story mode.

And we could finally get characters that didn't have interactions in this game's story mode like Teen Gohan and some Super Characters. Imagine angsty Teen Gohan interact with Super Goku. Or OG Kid Goku with the older cast like that scrapped Budokai 3 story. (Imagine Kid Goku trying to figure out if Frieza is a girl or not)

I doubt #21 would be used again, it'd probably be a new character. They could always tie it in with Xenoverse and have Fu be behind everything.