"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Lord Frieza
I Live Here
Posts: 3791
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:36 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Frieza » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:41 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:40 pm
WittyUsername wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:19 pm
I was definitely not trying to start a power level discussion. Just pointing out that Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta has had a reputation as the biggest badass of the Dragon Ball universe for well over a decade, which is probably why he’s apparently such a broken character in this game.
Yeah that was my point as well. One of the most notable things about Gogeta in GT was his power and speed so high that Omega couldn't even see his punches so it makes sense why most games made him like that. He was created to be op and like definitive fighter back then.

I wasn't accusing you though, just saying that in case anyone wanted to start such discussion as that wasn't what i wanted to do either.
I find myself at the oppasite end of the scale. When a Goku/Vegeta fusion comes along, it meant that the fight was going to become heavily one sided and boring. Don't get me wrong I love Vegetto and Gogeta but until Super I just didn't enjoy their time on screen after repeated viewing. I can't tell you how much more fun I find Vegetto vs Zamasu. An actual fight were the a Goku/Vegeta fusion actually has to try was a breath of fresh air. The same to a lesser extent with Gogeta vs Broly.

Kataphrut
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:11 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:06 pm
We had a leak dailogue with SSj4 Gogeta and Super Yi Xing Long a while back. I doubt they scrap any plans for future DLC.
That line (the 'Can you hit me here? My shoulder is killing me' one) is actually in the game now- it's a generic win quote. So I think that theory might be scuttled at long last.

The screenshot I saw had him saying it to Hit, which is quite apt.

Jord
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 951
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:13 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Jord » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:19 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:06 pm
We had a leak dailogue with SSj4 Gogeta and Super Yi Xing Long a while back. I doubt they scrap any plans for future DLC.
There are often leftovers of scrapped parts left in game data. It's easier to just let in in than remove it. Not saying you're wrong, I believe there will be DLC as well. Just don't take game data as hard evidence.

User avatar
Cold Skin
I Live Here
Posts: 2335
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:09 pm
Location: France

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:48 am

I can confirm that the shoulder line is just a generic win quote, I had it myself while testing the character.

Meanwhile, I'm surprised they didn't include a new version of the intro since the one they showed during the event seemed like a perfect replacement covering the exact same style! I really believed it would be the new intro, but nope, it seems like it was just carefully made for that event... How strange not to take the opportunity to update the video file, especially since that hypothetical new intro is already fully edited and ready to go. That's a lot of efforts for just showing it once or twice.

Based on the previous seasons, if there was a season 4, they would have announced it, right?
So this is likely the end of new major contents (though it's likely that small things like stickers, titles, wacky colors and avatars could still be added for specific events).

That makes me think about Fighterz 2: does anybody know how the devs deal with the presentation for their sequels? Do they just copy-paste the intros and win poses for existing characters or do they come up with new ones when the characters return? Do they extend the roster even more or do they eliminate some characters when going from one game to its sequel?

Because discovering the new intros/win poses for most existing characters in Fighterz 2 (years from now, of course) should be quite a thrilling experience! Those short animations are one of the greatest visual pleasures in the game!

User avatar
sunsetshimmer
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1921
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:34 pm
Location: Poland/Equestria

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:58 am

Lord Frieza wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:41 pm
I find myself at the oppasite end of the scale. When a Goku/Vegeta fusion comes along, it meant that the fight was going to become heavily one sided and boring. Don't get me wrong I love Vegetto and Gogeta but until Super I just didn't enjoy their time on screen after repeated viewing. I can't tell you how much more fun I find Vegetto vs Zamasu. An actual fight were the a Goku/Vegeta fusion actually has to try was a breath of fresh air. The same to a lesser extent with Gogeta vs Broly.
I guess it depends on expectations, but i think it worked well for Gogeta SS4 because it was like finale of GT and pretty much finale of entire animated DB story back then as well, so they finishing it with such overpowered character was cool. It wouldn't work so well for Vegito Blue since he appeared when series was about 60% done i think so it was better to see him struggle a bit imo as they kinda left that overpowered feeling for UI Goku making bigger impression for series finale.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Kataphrut
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:29 pm

Gogeta SS4 owes most of his hype and reputation to the video games he's appeared in. You can tell because the Big Bang Kamehameha isn't animated like it was in the show, because the way it was animated in the show wasn't very good. Plus his appearance in the show was underwhelming and the episode can practically be skipped. I actually prefer Vegetto Blue's appearance more even though it's basically the same thing because it's a better-animated fight and segues directly into the true climax with Trunks.

It's why I wasn't keen on him to get in the game, even though I like how they've handled him well enough. His moveset is strong without being obnoxious and the fanservicey stuff like the Dramatic Finish with Gogeta Blue is cute.

Matches Malone
Banned
Posts: 3308
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:06 am

Kataphrut wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:29 pm
Gogeta SS4 owes most of his hype and reputation to the video games he's appeared in. You can tell because the Big Bang Kamehameha isn't animated like it was in the show, because the way it was animated in the show wasn't very good. Plus his appearance in the show was underwhelming and the episode can practically be skipped.
I definitely agree with this, as basically every move he has in the game which made him popular aren't in that episode.

User avatar
LoganForkHands73
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 794
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:54 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:05 pm

So a couple of queries:

Will they add the new intro cinematic with all the DLC characters into the game itself? I had no idea that other cinematics even existed, though I understand they were never added into the game for whatever reason.

Second, I've noticed there's now a few new voice clips for various characters. Android #21 now does an evil laugh during her Level 1, Super Saiyan Goku says a few different things and there's probably other examples I've not seen yet. What's that all about?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5544
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:22 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:29 pm
Where did the "Return to Monke" jokes come from?
The Dokkan reddit

User avatar
90sDBZ
I Live Here
Posts: 2103
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:34 am
Location: UK

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:45 am

When a sequel eventually does happen I imagine there'll be cuts to the current roster, so they'll have room to add new characters without it becoming bloated. I'd be very surprised if everyone made it over.

User avatar
Xeno Goku Black
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 248
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:29 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:35 am

It's unbelievable just how many different versions of Goku there are in this game.

Base Goku
Super Saiyan Goku
Super Saiyan Blue Goku
Ultra Instinct Goku
GT Goku
Bardock
Goku Black
Super Saiyan Blue Vegito
Super Saiyan Blue Gogeta
Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta

Jesus Christ. They could have had more variety than that.

User avatar
goku the krump dancer
I Live Here
Posts: 3218
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:34 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:22 pm

So would you rather not have Bardock, Black, Gogeta, Vegetto and Ultra Instinct be playable in favor of Android 13, Garlic Jr, Dyspo and Kiwi just because they “aren’t Goku”?

Goku is the star of show, so by default he’s gonna have more to offer when it comes to character content.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!

User avatar
Koitsukai
I Live Here
Posts: 2111
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:02 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:49 pm

I don't think it's fair to call everyone that looks similar to him, another Goku.

I mean, half of that list are literally NOT Goku. Bardock is his dad, Black is Zamasu, and the three fusions are their own people on their own right, it's not like the Power Rangers' Megazord that had people forming another creature without losing their individuality. If Goku didn't beat Broly, then he can't be held accountable as being Gogeta Blue. If it's Goku's body creating a new character, then Merged Zamasu should count as Goku too.
With that logic you could even say Gohan is also Goku because he is his seed, that would go for Gotenks as well because he is part Goku's son.

If anything, it's not FighterZ fault that most characters look like the protagonist for whatever reason. Of that list, I think you could only drop base and kid Goku, the rest have proven to be more than worthy of being in the game.

Matches Malone
Banned
Posts: 3308
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:08 pm

90sDBZ wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:45 am
When a sequel eventually does happen I imagine there'll be cuts to the current roster, so they'll have room to add new characters without it becoming bloated. I'd be very surprised if everyone made it over.
Why would they need to cut anyone ? couldn't they just port them over as is while also including new characters ?

User avatar
LoganForkHands73
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 794
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:54 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:59 pm

Koitsukai wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:49 pm
I don't think it's fair to call everyone that looks similar to him, another Goku.

I mean, half of that list are literally NOT Goku. Bardock is his dad, Black is Zamasu, and the three fusions are their own people on their own right, it's not like the Power Rangers' Megazord that had people forming another creature without losing their individuality. If Goku didn't beat Broly, then he can't be held accountable as being Gogeta Blue. If it's Goku's body creating a new character, then Merged Zamasu should count as Goku too.
With that logic you could even say Gohan is also Goku because he is his seed, that would go for Gotenks as well because he is part Goku's son.

If anything, it's not FighterZ fault that most characters look like the protagonist for whatever reason. Of that list, I think you could only drop base and kid Goku, the rest have proven to be more than worthy of being in the game.
ArcSys's own original fighting game IPs tend to have wacky, elaborate, snowflake designs. Dragon Ball has great characters but visually, there's a lot of buff spiky-haired dudes in orange kung fu dogi, and that's all people see unfortunately. That's not ArcSys's fault, they're just being passionately accurate to the source material, but most competitive and casual fighting game fans who aren't as familiar with the source material just look at Bardock or Goku Black or even Gohan and say "Isn't he just the same as Goku?" Although there's a stereotype of fighting games to have palette swapped characters but most modern fighting games tend to have more diverse casts.

User avatar
90sDBZ
I Live Here
Posts: 2103
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:34 am
Location: UK

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:56 am

Matches Malone wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:08 pm
90sDBZ wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:45 am
When a sequel eventually does happen I imagine there'll be cuts to the current roster, so they'll have room to add new characters without it becoming bloated. I'd be very surprised if everyone made it over.
Why would they need to cut anyone ? couldn't they just port them over as is while also including new characters ?
Fighting game sequels generally do cut their rosters to make room for new characters. Both Street Fighter 5 and Tekken 7 started out with much smaller rosters than their predecessors, while adding in new characters and bringing back certain older ones over time.

It's also not good for a fighting game roster to get too bloated, as it gets frustrating for players having to learn all the matchups, and it's harder to maintain character balance. It's part of the reason people went off Tekken Tag 2. This isn't a game like BT3 or Xenoverse were they can get away with having 100+ clone characters.
Xeno Goku Black wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:35 am
It's unbelievable just how many different versions of Goku there are in this game.

Base Goku
Super Saiyan Goku
Super Saiyan Blue Goku
Ultra Instinct Goku
GT Goku
Bardock
Goku Black
Super Saiyan Blue Vegito
Super Saiyan Blue Gogeta
Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta

Jesus Christ. They could have had more variety than that.
Only the first 5 of those are actually Goku. Bardock in particular isn't Goku in the slightest.

User avatar
goku the krump dancer
I Live Here
Posts: 3218
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:34 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:25 am

While most fighting games typically do rework the roster to some degree in every iteration, everyone on this game works well and stands out enough on their own that omitting them from a future game would be jarring as hell. It's a 3 v 3 fighting game, so pushing 50+ characters in a sequel really wouldn' be all that crazy.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!

User avatar
Koitsukai
I Live Here
Posts: 2111
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:02 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:16 pm

You don't HAVE to learn how to play with every character, that's why there are so many, because some people love the earthlings, some the saiyans, some the blue saiyans, some prefer to play with the bad guys, others with the Z characters, or with GT characters, etc.

And with the technological enhancements of the next gen, why would we be getting less characters instead of more? the game is not aimed at a small demographic, after all.

User avatar
DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6565
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:27 pm

FighterZ is still a Dragon Ball game so I don't see them cutting many if any characters for a sequel. Maybe a few for story reasons or ones nobody really uses like Nappa.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am
I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

User avatar
LightBing
I Live Here
Posts: 3580
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by LightBing » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:16 pm

It would be a bad sign if we get all the same characters again. That would tip us of a lack of changes in the new game.
Why should I pay for a new game, when they selling us the old one with maybe one more stage and new coat of paint?

Many from the base roster need a complete redo, they're incredibly basic compared to many of the DLC. I would also expect new mechanics, correcting or getting ride of old ones. Super Dash needs a very hard look, it's an awfully programed mechanic.

For a FighterZ 2 to actually be it we need significant changes, a new story and stages doesn't cut it. That means starting the roster anew(not completely from the top since there's elements that can be reused but mostly).

Post Reply