"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:07 pm

I don’t see what hook a sequel could realistically have.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:18 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:07 pm I don’t see what hook a sequel could realistically have.
The very fact it expands on the foundation of DBFZ is the hook.

Dunno why you ask these questions.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:43 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:18 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:07 pm I don’t see what hook a sequel could realistically have.

Often times, when it comes to fighting game sequels for something like Dragon Ball, a large part of the hook is all the additional content that the game is supposed to have when compared to its predecessor, particularly seeing what new characters they include. What new things would an FZ2 have that would get people interested?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:06 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:43 pm

Often times, when it comes to fighting game sequels for something like Dragon Ball, a large part of the hook is all the additional content that the game is supposed to have when compared to its predecessor, particularly seeing what new characters they include. What new things would an FZ2 have that would get people interested?
More and better single-player content, crossplay, co-op across all platforms, better rollback netcode implementation (due to being a whole new game), and there are plenty of characters left that are highly requested and have potential for good movesets.

They could also can make major changes to the mechanics like making superdash less janky and autocombos less braindead. They could even flesh-out characters' movesets.

There's a lot of things they can with a sequel.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:58 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:06 pm

More and better single-player content, crossplay, co-op across all platforms, better rollback netcode implementation (due to being a whole new game), and there are plenty of characters left that are highly requested and have potential for good movesets.

They could also can make major changes to the mechanics like making superdash less janky and autocombos less braindead. They could even flesh-out characters' movesets.

Like who? I think Anonymous Friend pretty much hit the nail on the head in saying that most of the noteworthy fighters have already been covered at this point. Most of us were surprised to see Baby as a DLC over Yi Xing Long/Omega Shenron, but his gameplay is unique enough that it makes sense in hindsight. I don’t see what other fighters there are left who could drum up much interest, outside of characters and forms from the new movie, and maybe Moro, Granolah and Ultra Ego Vegeta, if we ever see an animated adaptation for them, or if Bandai is desperate.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:07 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:58 pm
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:06 pm

Like who? I think Anonymous Friend pretty much hit the nail on the head in saying that most of the noteworthy fighters have already been covered at this point. Most of us were surprised to see Baby as a DLC over Yi Xing Long/Omega Shenron, but his gameplay is unique enough that it makes sense in hindsight. I don’t see what other fighters there are left who could drum up much interest, outside of characters and forms from the new movie, and maybe Moro, Granolah and Ultra Ego Vegeta, if we ever see an animated adaptation for them, or if Bandai is desperate.
Raditz, Dabura, Pikkon, Omega Shenron, Toppo, Caulifla, and Mr. Satan are all highly requested characters that they could add.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:49 am

The gameplay is good but there is room for expansion with more modes, like a decent single player mode.

Story mode was a nice attempt but fighting clones got boring fast.
The arcade mode just scaled cpu damage output instead of turning op their AI.

I would also like to see more balanced 1 on 1 or handicap matches. It was a nice addition in FighterZ but due to a lack of balance not being very fun. If they figure out a balance and make picking a single (stronger) character a viable option instead of a team, it could lead to new and interesting matches.

The roster in FighterZ is great but there are always characters that could be added.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:52 am

I can see a lot of people complaining when FighterZ 2 starts with 16/20 characters.

A sequel won't continue the roster, it will reinvent the game. Even characters bound to return won't be the same since mechanics will be modified, removed or added.

The newcomers will probably be something from the new movie like Gamma 1/2. Perhaps someone from the manga like Moro. Maybe a exclusive game character like #21 was.
Goku and Vegeta are certain to be addressed differently.

The conversation should be: "who will be in the starting roster of FighterZ 2"?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:39 am

Anonymous Friend wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:19 pm So, this game has pretty much every character anyone would want in a Dragonball game. Everyone also list that same handfull of "characters that are missiing. A potential sequel can't jut make up some new characters just to fill slots. And DLC for the sequel would have you rebuying all the same characters you bought in the first game, or *audioinhale* some who were part of the base roster. Most modern fighting game sequels strive to give you a decent amount of new characters to accompany the returning ones. I don't really see any of the missing characters not in this game getting people too hyped about being in the starting roster over base roster and dlc roster from this game. If Arksys is still the dev for this, maybe they have dealt with this in their other series. I've never played or really follow their fighetrs.

But what i was considering, what if the next FighterZ game is not a Dragonball games, but some other super popular anime franchise? Easy picks are Nauto and One Piece. But what about Bleach, HunterxHunter, Yuyu Hakusho, Jojo, or something else.
This is the reason while I wouldn't be against a sequel, as the first game is brilliant with few nitpicks and definitely the best fighter we've got for DB, I have no idea and no justification for a sequel in this format.
Pretty much what you said. The roster itself is already huge and not to mention the possible team variations. Story mode is pretty much a side mode in this kind of game and new story, with same characters and maybe tossing one or two new or original villains in the mix won't make any sense. Gameplay is tight, sure it can be improved on... Maybe tossing in some new original modes, but there is virtually nowhere to go further with this game.

This type of game is not an ensemble game in rank of virtual simulators like Tenkaichi was, therefore I completely agree with your post.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:15 am

The only other anime I see getting the FighterZ treatment are Naruto and One Piece. Their popularity rivals that of Dragon Ball's and they have tons of characters they can work with.

But even then, I don't see it happening before a sequel for this game. FighterZ is just too successful for Bamco to just let it die.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:18 am

LightBing wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:52 am I can see a lot of people complaining when FighterZ 2 starts with 16/20 characters.

A sequel won't continue the roster, it will reinvent the game. Even characters bound to return won't be the same since mechanics will be modified, removed or added.

The newcomers will probably be something from the new movie like Gamma 1/2. Perhaps someone from the manga like Moro. Maybe a exclusive game character like #21 was.

There's no need to reinvent the game. FighterZ is still relatively modern. All it needs is some MAJOR changes and additions.

I believe majority of the characters from the first game while return along with the new faces.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:29 am

I don't see them using characters like Moro and Granolah as Super manga is pretty much ignored. Super DB Heroes might be an indicator of what to expect, as they pull off some crazy character variants, new characters and obscure characters like Hachihyaku, or Neko Majin from gag manga. Of course I will change my mind, if Heroes introduces these characters, but so far Super manga is ignored in the anime continuation and video games and it is pretty much a closed world and probably far behind with number of readers compared to the casual audience of TV show or gamers.

My bet is that they will rather invent some new and original character.

But again, I think that there is no reason for sequel at least for next 2-3 years and by that time, we might probably see a completely new slate of concepts and games. Super Dragon Ball Z on PS2 was also a one time deal.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:45 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:18 am
LightBing wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:52 am I can see a lot of people complaining when FighterZ 2 starts with 16/20 characters.

There's no need to reinvent the game. FighterZ is still relatively modern. All it needs is some MAJOR changes and additions.

I believe majority of the characters from the first game while return along with the new faces.
They need to reinvent to the point it feels like a different fighting game because that's what they'll be selling us. Besides being the normal modus operantis for fighting game sequels. Just look at the most recent Guilty Gear.

New story mode, graphics uplift, new mechanics, removal/modification of old mechanics and at least a couple of newcomers.
Perhaps new game modes.

In regards to returning characters, I can say with 99% sure that the cast will not return equally and those who do will be different. How different will differentiate: added and removed moves, perhaps unique mechanics or even total revamps of the way X character plays.

I predict 20 characters for FighterZ 2.
I expect them to lean on modern Dragon Ball more, I wouldn't be surprised if all the humans except Kuririn plus Nappa and Ginyu aren't in the base game.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:08 pm

Same as Xenoverse, they've hurt any sequel by adding in way to many characters as DLC into the first game.

They should have stopped at like 8 characters but they've gone and had 19 now?

Those extra 11 characters could have just been saved for FighterZ.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:26 am

One thing I'd love for FighterZ2

Character endings in the Arcade, maybe it's just a character getting a wish on the Dragon Balls.

Frieza's character ending would be him getting taller lol.

Also in fighting game sequels, most characters get completely new movesets - all the characters could be reinvented.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:23 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:29 am I don't see them using characters like Moro and Granolah as Super manga is pretty much ignored. Super DB Heroes might be an indicator of what to expect, as they pull off some crazy character variants, new characters and obscure characters like Hachihyaku, or Neko Majin from gag manga. Of course I will change my mind, if Heroes introduces these characters, but so far Super manga is ignored in the anime continuation and video games and it is pretty much a closed world and probably far behind with number of readers compared to the casual audience of TV show or gamers.

But again, I think that there is no reason for sequel at least for next 2-3 years and by that time, we might probably see a completely new slate of concepts and games. Super Dragon Ball Z on PS2 was also a one time deal.
I'd really like to see Moro and Gas in a fighting game. Moro's energy absorption could be pretty cool. Gas being a weapon changing character also sounds good on paper. I'm not expecting to see either for the reasons you mentioned, though.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:28 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:29 amSuper Dragon Ball Z on PS2 was also a one time deal.
But Super Dragon Ball Z was a dud. FighterZ is the most commercially successful Dragon Ball game of all-time.

There's no way it won't get a sequel knowing Bamco.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:35 pm

LightBing wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:45 am
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:18 am

They need to reinvent to the point it feels like a different fighting game because that's what they'll be selling us. Besides being the normal modus operantis for fighting game sequels. Just look at the most recent Guilty Gear.

New story mode, graphics uplift, new mechanics, removal/modification of old mechanics and at least a couple of newcomers.
Perhaps new game modes.

In regards to returning characters, I can say with 99% sure that the cast will not return equally and those who do will be different. How different will differentiate: added and removed moves, perhaps unique mechanics or even total revamps of the way X character plays.

I predict 20 characters for FighterZ 2.
I expect them to lean on modern Dragon Ball more, I wouldn't be surprised if all the humans except Kuririn plus Nappa and Ginyu aren't in the base game.
That would just piss a lot of the playerbase off. Keep in mind, it's still a Dragon Ball game and the fans won't be as forgiving to character cuts.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

MrGohanks
Temporarily Banned

Post by MrGohanks » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:28 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:19 pm So, this game has pretty much every character anyone would want in a Dragonball game. Everyone also list that same handfull of "characters that are missiing. A potential sequel can't jut make up some new characters just to fill slots. And DLC for the sequel would have you rebuying all the same characters you bought in the first game, or *audioinhale* some who were part of the base roster. Most modern fighting game sequels strive to give you a decent amount of new characters to accompany the returning ones. I don't really see any of the missing characters not in this game getting people too hyped about being in the starting roster over base roster and dlc roster from this game. If Arksys is still the dev for this, maybe they have dealt with this in their other series. I've never played or really follow their fighetrs.

But what i was considering, what if the next FighterZ game is not a Dragonball games, but some other super popular anime franchise? Easy picks are Nauto and One Piece. But what about Bleach, HunterxHunter, Yuyu Hakusho, Jojo, or something else.
My Hero Academia seems to be the next anime ArcSys wants to use for a game.

The only way I think a DBFZ2 could be done is if they have install transformations instead of forms being separate characters, and if the roster of the next game takes influences from Xenoverse.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:35 pm

Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:23 pm
MCDaveG wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:29 am I don't see them using characters like Moro and Granolah as Super manga is pretty much ignored. Super DB Heroes might be an indicator of what to expect, as they pull off some crazy character variants, new characters and obscure characters like Hachihyaku, or Neko Majin from gag manga. Of course I will change my mind, if Heroes introduces these characters, but so far Super manga is ignored in the anime continuation and video games and it is pretty much a closed world and probably far behind with number of readers compared to the casual audience of TV show or gamers.

I'd really like to see Moro and Gas in a fighting game. Moro's energy absorption could be pretty cool. Gas being a weapon changing character also sounds good on paper. I'm not expecting to see either for the reasons you mentioned, though.
I am usually in my boring mode of reason, but yeah, I would love to see Moro in a game or any form close to the anime with an voice actor.
I wonder if the exclusive manga arcs get into something, or if the manga will be viewed as an extra that exists in the future looking back.