"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:19 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:41 pmThe argument about "too many Gokus" is flawed because, well, this is Dragon Ball. Yes, there's a lot of versions of Goku, yes a lot of characters look similar, but they all bring something unique to the table in powers and personality.
Well that wouldn't really apply because the personality doesn't really matter for something like this and the powers wouldn't really matter either because they could have completely different characters altogether and have different powers just the same.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:40 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:19 pm
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:41 pmThe argument about "too many Gokus" is flawed because, well, this is Dragon Ball. Yes, there's a lot of versions of Goku, yes a lot of characters look similar, but they all bring something unique to the table in powers and personality.
Well that wouldn't really apply because the personality doesn't really matter for something like this and the powers wouldn't really matter either because they could have completely different characters altogether and have different powers just the same.
I don't really understand what you're saying. How do the personalities and powers not matter?

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:48 pm

Every "Goku" has a different set of skills, attacks, intros, outros and dramatic finishes. So even if they were to be the same character, they would all do very different things, providing an enjoyable and distinctive experience.

Unlike, XV2, for example, where every Goku (base, SS, SS4, SSG, SSB) has the same comboes and most of them have literally the same attacks, and only changes the clothes, and what colour and how long the hair is.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:33 pm

I did my own possible line up for S4:

Super Yi Xing Long
Raditz or Tullece
GT Pan
Toppo
Super Buu or Buuhan
Dabra
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:40 am

Reflecting about it, SSJ4 Gogeta is a character for a very specific audience.

It's something I would find cool to theorize about as a teen. Who's the strongest? That dramatic finish is basically that with the plus that you can pick your favorite and have your outcome.

It makes me kinda sad, it seems like I'm not the target audience. I would rather have Mr. Satan than Gogeta SSJ4, a wacky puppeteer character in Babidi sending Yaku, Yamu, Spopotevich, etc..., Oob and/or Pan to represent the new generation. Jaco!

Well, if there's a Season 4 I hope for more choices I prefer. However the character designs have been more interesting and bold so in that regards I hope they continue. Kefla was really the only character from the Season that felt "basic".

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:54 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:40 pmI don't really understand what you're saying. How do the personalities and powers not matter?
Why would they? Bardock is just another Goku as far the game is concerned. It doesn't matter that his moves are different because that's a given anyway.

Goku Black is just another Goku every bit as much as Ultra Instinct Goku is.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:55 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:54 pm
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:40 pmI don't really understand what you're saying. How do the personalities and powers not matter?
Why would they? Bardock is just another Goku as far the game is concerned. It doesn't matter that his moves are different because that's a given anyway.

So... everyone's just another Goku, essentially?

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:03 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:55 pmSo... everyone's just another Goku, essentially?
Just the Goku's. There's at least five actual Goku's, two not quite Goku's and then three half Goku's.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:31 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:03 pm
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:55 pmSo... everyone's just another Goku, essentially?
Just the Goku's. There's at least five actual Goku's, two not quite Goku's and then three half Goku's.
Gotenks is a Goku and a Vegeta and a Trunks
Cell is a Goku, a Vegeta, a Piccolo and a Freeza
Cell arc Gohan is a Goku and a Piccolo because he wears his clothes and was trained by him
Adult Gohan is a Goku and a Piccolo because - See above -
Future Trunks is a Vegeta and a Gohan because he trained him, so since he's part Gohan he's is actually a Goku too or at least Piccolo.
Cooler is just another Freeza
Kid Boo is just another Majin Boo
Android 21 is also another Majin Boo
2 Broly's
Also Fused Zamasu is a Goku too.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:22 am

goku the krump dancer wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:31 pm
Cell arc Gohan is a Goku and a Piccolo because he wears his clothes and was trained by him
Future Trunks is a Vegeta and a Gohan because he trained him, so since he's part Gohan he's is actually a Goku too or at least Piccolo.
2 Broly's
Exactly. Which is why we need to get rid of all of those characters. None of them can be in the game. Ever. After all, Cell is made up of multiple characters, therefore he has no originality. He's just Goku with spots. Toriyama hated drawing the spots. Each spot is it's own Goku.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:37 am

Kataphrut wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:22 am

2 Broly's
Exactly. Which is why we need to get rid of all of those characters. None of them can be in the game. Ever. After all, Cell is made up of multiple characters, therefore he has no originality. He's just Goku with spots. Toriyama hated drawing the spots. Each spot is it's own Goku.
I just wanna play with my favorite man, the selection screen outline box!
He's also not original, not even a character, but man, breath of fresh air.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:20 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:54 pm

Because Dragon Ball isn't an original IP and thus fans have attachments to these characters outside of this one game, and having these characters represented along with their attacks and voice lines (which, unless you're playing on mute without subtitles, do matter, otherwise ArcSys wouldn't go out of their way to include as many unique lines as they did) makes it a fuller Dragon Ball fighting game than without them.

Goku Black is the main villian of a major story arc, he absolutely stands out from Goku just based on that, add in his different moves and dialogue and you have a completely different character that looks like Goku in hair only.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:37 am

goku the krump dancer wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:31 pm Gotenks is a Goku and a Vegeta and a Trunks
2 Broly's
:lol:
You forgot Yamcha. He wears the same gi as Goku, has somewhat spiky hair in places, and uses the kamehameha.

And Frieza has a golden transformation, so surely he qualifies as another Goku.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:08 pm

2 Broly's
Except those share entirely different appearances and/or are different characters. Cooler is not Frieza nor looks like him. Android 21 rather obviously is nothing like Majin Buu. The rest is just reaching for the sake of it.

Gogeta, Vegito, Bardock and Goku Black are just Goku with cosmetic differences. They either are Goku or look just like him with some different clothing.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:40 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:08 pm

2 Broly's
Except those share entirely different appearances and/or are different characters. Cooler is not Frieza nor looks like him. Android 21 rather obviously is nothing like Majin Buu. The rest is just reaching for the sake of it.

Gogeta, Vegito, Bardock and Goku Black are just Goku with cosmetic differences. They either are Goku or look just like him with some different clothing.
I was exaggerating to show how asinine your complaint is. Which is ironic for someone calling himself "XENO" Goku Black, meaning you're not just Goku who is really Zamasu, but you're Goku who's really Zamasu from yet another timeline, complaining that there're too many Gokus :crazy: .. Riddle me that. Those characters you named look like Goku for very obvious reasons, not because Arcys is lazy or whatever you're trying to imply.

Would you rather NOT have them playable in place of someone else? Olibu? Hatchiyack? Jewel even? The roster has just about every heavy hitter you could possibly ask for except for Omega Shenron, Pikkon and maybe Toppo. Fun factor aside anyone else outside of the 3 I listed begins to scrape the bottom of the barrel and yes that includes Oob, Pan, Raditz and dare I say TULLECE who's cool but ya know, he's just Goku The Evil Gardener.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:33 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:08 pm

2 Broly's

Your username contains the name "Goku Black", I assume Black is your favourite character (great choice by the way), so why are you complaining exactly? Are you saying that Black shouldn't be playable because he's just a "Goku clone"? Are you saying that Black should have been replaced by some no-name fodder like Mr. Satan?

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:39 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:40 pmWhich is ironic
No it isn't.
Would you rather NOT have them playable in place of someone else?
Of course that's the point because then it's variety.

Raditz isn't really bottom of the barrel. You could have had Zarbon, Dr Gero, Dabura, Whis, Magetta, Dyspo, Omega Shenron, Nova Shenron, Bojack etc.

There were plenty to have who were plenty different.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:42 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:33 pmYour username contains the name "Goku Black", I assume Black is your favourite character (great choice by the way), so why are you complaining exactly? Are you saying that Black shouldn't be playable because he's just a "Goku clone"? Are you saying that Black should have been replaced by some no-name fodder like Mr. Satan?
Goku Black being in there was obvious and fine.

Having black hair Goku was unnecessary. As was Kid Goku from GT. There was no need to have Blue Gogeta when there was also a Blue Vegito and especially another Gogeta again.

There's three different Goku/Vegeta fusions in the game.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:49 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:39 pm
goku the krump dancer wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:40 pmWhich is ironic
No it isn't.
Would you rather NOT have them playable in place of someone else?
Of course that's the point because then it's variety.

Raditz isn't really bottom of the barrel. You could have had Zarbon, Dr Gero, Dabura, Whis, Magetta, Dyspo, Omega Shenron, Nova Shenron, Bojack etc.

There were plenty to have who were plenty different.
You seem to not understand Star Power and Market Value. All those characters you named and only 3 of those at best could genuinely get a crowd excited. Arcys wants to have the roster be as impactful as possible and what better way to do that, then add the most ICONIC characters/ versions of a character. Base Adult Goku, Base Vegeta and GT Goku may seem excessive at face value but they encompass eras in the series where those characters were most active in those forms. Which is why they play differently from their other versions.

This isn't Xenoverse or Tenkaichi, where the selling point was to shove in as many characters as possible, to the point where damn near every character who has ever thrown a punch became playable.

The Street Fighter 4 - "There're Too many Shotos" critique doesn't work here.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:17 am

Is it worth mentioning that we just got done with a season 3 with arguably the highest quality lineup of characters released yet, and the weak link was Kefla? Everyone in that season was really well made, with bigger and more technical movesets and yet compared to everyone else, she was just an above-average rushdown fighter.

Meanwhile, the best character of the lot was...Goku with silver hair. The one with the coolest combo routes was...Vegeta but possessed. The walking boss character who seems like he was tailor-made to break the game's meta over his knee was...Gogeta but monke. And then you have Roshi off doing his own thing, being cool but unorthodox. From an actual design perspective, these characters are worlds away from the base/season one roster when everyone felt samey outside of a few exceptions.