"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:49 pm

For us casuals having a roster of 70+ characters might not seem like an issue, but for the hardcore players who obsess over balance and matchup knowledge it makes things frustrating. To be really good at a fighting game you need to be familiar with at least most of the cast, which a bloated roster makes very difficult. It means more time in the lab learning defense against the various blockstrings, setups, frametraps, mixups etc...

GT Goku is a great example. For several months he dominated the game to the point were it really pissed people off. It took ages for them to put out a balance patch. The more characters they add, the harder it becomes to maintain balance. Eventually quality needs to come before quantity.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:49 pm

Yeah but the core meta to FighterZ is relatively simple compared to other games. Its the same thing with Smash, the game has around 80 characters and as far as I know, I dont hear any pros complain about Roster Bloat, that's mostly a Tekken issue. Even then Tekken has a lot of Legacy Skill involved so its not really that much to learn for someone who's been playing for years, since the only thing that's gonna change about Law is hit properties and frames give or take a few new moves.

Being a hardcore player isn't easy, nor should it be. If you dedicate the time to learn the ins and outs to all the main character and you play well enough, then you deserve to be at the top. You gotta put in the work to ern stuff like that.

The biggest problem that fighting game developers have is that they don't really know how to keep and maintain that sweet spot between entertaining casual players and keeping competitive players engaged. Tekken was on the right track until season 3 and Leroy, now its pretty back and forth on weather or not they leaned too much one way or the other.

Speaking of "Casuals", while I think everyone's definition is a little different, I will say in my mind a casual player is someone who buys the game, plays through the arcade or story mode, do all the special moves/fatalities with their favorite characters then either return it a month later or have the game collect dust until either DLC drops or they pop it in during family gatherings and parties n such. While those folks aren't doing just frame mix ups at big tournaments, they contribute a lot to the money thats made during a games debut and lifespan.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:51 pm

Jesus christ... now this game is officially broken. I have no idea how to play it anymore, but damn, I get insanely destroyed in multiplayer :lol:
Most killer combinations SSJ Goku, SS4 Gogeta, Base Goku or UI Goku... guess I am going back to Mortal Kombat :crazy:

Guess I am getting seriously old for this stuff, as going to work and having projects allows me to touch this game like once per month :lol:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:34 am

I've been on the receiving end of a couple of Gogeta instakills so far. First time lost me the game, second time I managed to turn it around. Also, the second time it happened, he got my assist call, but somehow my assist survived, albeit with a huge chunk of blue life. Not sure how that happened, but I'll count myself lucky.

I still don't think he's broken, but he is scary to block. His normals are some of the best in the game and he's got plenty of ways to open you up. The best way to deal with him is to keep your distance, but then he'll start trying to bait you in with taunts while covering himself with beam assists. So it's an interesting wrinkle he adds to the meta. I dread to think how many triple Goku/Vegeta fusion teams are going to show up now, or alternatively Gogeta/UI/Broly teams. Any combination of those characters is going to be a new kind of cancerous.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:56 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:56 amOnly the first 5 of those are actually Goku. Bardock in particular isn't Goku in the slightest.
It's Goku with a bandana and a different name.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:24 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:56 pm It's Goku with a bandana and a different name.
Yes, another person.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:27 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:56 pm It's Goku with a bandana and a different name.
And different outfit. And different story. And different power. And different personality. With a scar.

Isn't easier just to say he's a different character altogether?
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:32 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:34 am I've been on the receiving end of a couple of Gogeta instakills so far. First time lost me the game, second time I managed to turn it around. Also, the second time it happened, he got my assist call, but somehow my assist survived, albeit with a huge chunk of blue life. Not sure how that happened, but I'll count myself lucky.

I still don't think he's broken, but he is scary to block. His normals are some of the best in the game and he's got plenty of ways to open you up. The best way to deal with him is to keep your distance, but then he'll start trying to bait you in with taunts while covering himself with beam assists. So it's an interesting wrinkle he adds to the meta. I dread to think how many triple Goku/Vegeta fusion teams are going to show up now, or alternatively Gogeta/UI/Broly teams. Any combination of those characters is going to be a new kind of cancerous.
Yup, I knew exactly how this would turn out. Lets see how this plays out in a couple months, when people really get into him.
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:27 pm FighterZ is still a Dragon Ball game so I don't see them cutting many if any characters for a sequel. Maybe a few for story reasons or ones nobody really uses like Nappa.
HEY! No one take away my cabbage farmer!

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:49 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:27 pm
And different outfit. And different story. And different power. And different personality. With a scar.

No because the story is irrelevant for this fighting game and the powers don't mean anything because Ultra Instinct Goku has different abilities from Super Saiyan Goku and it's still Goku.

They're all just different versions of Goku.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:17 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:49 pm
Grimlock wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:27 pm

No because the story is irrelevant for this fighting game and the powers don't mean anything because Ultra Instinct Goku has different abilities from Super Saiyan Goku and it's still Goku.

But he’s not Goku though. If you don’t know who Bardock is, what are you doing on this website?

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:41 pm

But he’s not Goku though. If you don’t know who Bardock is, what are you doing on this website?
I think he's just saying that Bardock's design is heavily derivative of Goku's. He's physically identical to Goku except for a few scars and scarier eyes. People less familiar with the lore look at him and (unfairly) think he's nothing but a palette swap of Goku.

The argument about "too many Gokus" is flawed because, well, this is Dragon Ball. Yes, there's a lot of versions of Goku, yes a lot of characters look similar, but they all bring something unique to the table in powers and personality. It wouldn't be an accurate adaptation if this wasn't reflected in the game. However, most modern fighting games try to diversify every character visually, even with previously repeated character designs like Street Fighter shotos and Mortal Kombat ninjas. Now, all the MK ninjas have completely different looks and gameplay. Thanks to alt costumes, you don't usually get things like "Ken with pink hair" or "Reptile but with a slightly different mask" as separate characters anymore.

A lot of fighting game players don't really care about the characters or story, which is sad but a natural development when these games are tailored for eSports. As much as Pete Rosas was criticised for saying this while promoting Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite, he was right in saying that most players just treat fighting game characters as "functions". For hardcore players, Bardock won't be known as the Father of Goku who tried to prevent his planet's destruction at the hands of Freeza, he'll just be known as the Goku lookalike with the busted autocombo, the great assist and superfast lariat. That's the bitter pill to swallow when it comes to fighting games. You can have a game with tonnes of fanservice and content, but after a few days, people just focus on the meta and the strongest characters.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:04 am

I can't believe that multiple versions and look-alikes of the main character are included in the game, no way will the players stand up for this.

What's that the game sold 6 million copies and just ended its 3rd season of DLC? And every season brought a new Goku variant? So much for that.

Goku is Dragon Ball, people will want to play as Goku and his multiple iterations in the games.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

JamesDaSpaghettiTaco

Post by JamesDaSpaghettiTaco » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:35 am

Personally I feel like the chances of Season 4 are 50/50, we will probably get it but there are just as many chances of us not getting it, and it probably is gna be 5 characters at the most, although the most likely number of new characters is 4, a character that is definetly getting in if there is a season 4 is Omega Shenron especially now that we have Gogeta SSJ4 in, Pikkon is also up there, a character that will probably get in is Majin Vegeta, and lastly I think we might get someone like Uub.

So basically thats my prediction for the rumored Season 4 Fighterz Pass

- Omega
- Pikkon
- Majin Vegeta
- Uub

Can't wait to get all of them incorrectly. See ya

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:58 am

JamesDaSpaghettiTaco wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:35 am Personally I feel like the chances of Season 4 are 50/50, we will probably get it but there are just as many chances of us not getting it, and it probably is gna be 5 characters at the most, although the most likely number of new characters is 4, a character that is definetly getting in if there is a season 4 is Omega Shenron especially now that we have Gogeta SSJ4 in, Pikkon is also up there, a character that will probably get in is Majin Vegeta, and lastly I think we might get someone like Uub.

- Omega
- Pikkon
- Majin Vegeta
- Uub

Omega, Uub and Paikuhan sound like great additions, seeing Paikuhan joining XV2, it wouldn't be crazy to have him here as well.
Gogeta being here also calls for Omega.
Uub is someone missing, he joined XV2 not too long ago, so it could definitely be a possibility.
Majin Vegeta I'm not so sure, it could help balance out the whole Goku issue though, but we already have a SS Vegeta.

To be fair, I don't think there are many left to have for next season: I can think of Toppo (Dyspo), some Super Buu iteration, and perhaps GT villains like Rildo or Super 17 (which I really don't want) but to me that'd be scraping the bottom of the barrel.
Pan could be added too, I don't know why Videl came before here. I'd love for SS4 Goku to join but we already have Kid Goku with it. Could Shin be considered? maybe a Kaioshin addition that includes all of the kaioshin in one character.

The not-yet-animated manga characters like Moro, 7-3, Merus, seem to be out of the question.

BWri

Post by BWri » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:00 am

Quebaz wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:04 am I can't believe that multiple versions and look-alikes of the main character are included in the game, no way will the players stand up for this.

What's that the game sold 6 million copies and just ended its 3rd season of DLC? And every season brought a new Goku variant? So much for that.

Goku is Dragon Ball, people will want to play as Goku and his multiple iterations in the games.
I don't really mind it as long as they all play different. And since they managed to include most of the fan requested characters and obvious picks, it's hard to argue that they're taking up slots that could be used for more interesting characters. There are probably only a handful of other characters that they can add that would add something unique to the game and only a few of those would be more interesting than the Goku clones which all have unique gameplay mechanics or roles.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

JamesDaSpaghettiTaco

Post by JamesDaSpaghettiTaco » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:47 am

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:58 am
JamesDaSpaghettiTaco wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:35 am Personally I feel like the chances of Season 4 are 50/50, we will probably get it but there are just as many chances of us not getting it, and it probably is gna be 5 characters at the most, although the most likely number of new characters is 4, a character that is definetly getting in if there is a season 4 is Omega Shenron especially now that we have Gogeta SSJ4 in, Pikkon is also up there, a character that will probably get in is Majin Vegeta, and lastly I think we might get someone like Uub.

- Omega
- Pikkon
- Majin Vegeta
- Uub

Omega, Uub and Paikuhan sound like great additions, seeing Paikuhan joining XV2, it wouldn't be crazy to have him here as well.
Gogeta being here also calls for Omega.
Uub is someone missing, he joined XV2 not too long ago, so it could definitely be a possibility.
Majin Vegeta I'm not so sure, it could help balance out the whole Goku issue though, but we already have a SS Vegeta.

To be fair, I don't think there are many left to have for next season: I can think of Toppo (Dyspo), some Super Buu iteration, and perhaps GT villains like Rildo or Super 17 (which I really don't want) but to me that'd be scraping the bottom of the barrel.
Pan could be added too, I don't know why Videl came before here. I'd love for SS4 Goku to join but we already have Kid Goku with it. Could Shin be considered? maybe a Kaioshin addition that includes all of the kaioshin in one character.

The not-yet-animated manga characters like Moro, 7-3, Merus, seem to be out of the question.
I'm suprised doubt is put on Majin Vegeta of all people, I remember the GT haters crying on twitter about how Majin Vegeta should have been in, personally I feel like Majin Vegeta will most likely get in, especially after freaking SSJ4 Gogeta. But who the hell knows, there might not even be a Season 4

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:25 pm

Sure they can shift it, but SJ4 Gogeta's position on the selection menu looks really definitive.
I am in doubt that they will release Season 4... I was happy for Season 2, but I never expected Season 3 to come in
and I guess not many people did, even tho fans are known for tons of wishful thinking which rarely gets materialized.

But yes, will be happy for another Season, but damn, already ton of characters for my taste and it's always hassle to be casual and try to go for competitive play.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:20 pm

- Omega
- Pikkon
- Majin Vegeta
- Uub

I'm not sure a Season 4 will happen, but if it does that's a pretty realistic and actually good list, although I think I've seen more requests for Dabura, Raditz, and Tao than Uub. If Uub makes it in then Majuub would make the most sense moveset wise. He'd also be another SS2 to play as other than Gohan.

I have no doubt Majin Vegeta would sell given his popularity. There's a good amount of unique moves he could have, like Final Explosion, Atomic Blast, and those combos he did on Goku were he elbowed him in the back of the head and did a submission throw. He'd also have a dramatic finish with Buu obviously.

But ultimately I think saving some characters for a sequel would be wiser.

JamesDaSpaghettiTaco

Post by JamesDaSpaghettiTaco » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:51 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:20 pm

- Omega
- Pikkon
- Majin Vegeta
- Uub

I'm not sure a Season 4 will happen, but if it does that's a pretty realistic and actually good list, although I think I've seen more requests for Dabura, Raditz, and Tao than Uub. If Uub makes it in then Majuub would make the most sense moveset wise. He'd also be another SS2 to play as other than Gohan.

I have no doubt Majin Vegeta would sell given his popularity. There's a good amount of unique moves he could have, like Final Explosion, Atomic Blast, and those combos he did on Goku were he elbowed him in the back of the head and did a submission throw. He'd also have a dramatic finish with Buu obviously.

But ultimately I think saving some characters for a sequel would be wiser.
I swear to god my memory is worse than Toriyama's sometimes, when I was refering to Uub I meant Majuub the entire time.. Mistake on my part, sorry lol.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:15 pm

- Omega
- Pikkon
- Majin Vegeta
- Uub

I think season 3 is the end. All we will get us some minor stuff like patches and character balances before FighterZ 2 is announced for 2022 or 2023. It will be released for PS4/5, Xbox One S, and PC.

All (but possibly 1 or 2 characters) will return with some getting moveset overhauls like 18. The new characters will be:
  • Vegeta (SSGSSE)
  • Pikkon
  • Raditz
  • Dabura
  • Moro
Rollback netcode will be used and new game modes like Survival and Challenges are added. New Story mode. Reworked Arcade mode with mini-storylines for each character.

Gameplay revamped with nerfed superdash, no autocorrect on whiff, option of manual combos, and more defensive options.

New stages like the Hybolic Time Chamber, Tournament of Power, and Glacier.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.