"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Nickolaidas » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:47 am

Kataphrut wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:40 am I mean, god forbid this game should cater to playstyles other than rushdown...

If this leaping thing is still projectile immune, then it'll just be superdash by a different name. If it isn't, and doesn't have superdash's insane tracking, then it'll be the thing every character should have had.
Oh, I'm all for uniqueness. I'm just saying that taking away a core mechanic of the game from a character is risky. Didn't really pay off with Videl, and it may not pay off with Roshi.

We'll see.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:58 am

Nickolaidas wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:47 am
Kataphrut wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:40 am I mean, god forbid this game should cater to playstyles other than rushdown...

If this leaping thing is still projectile immune, then it'll just be superdash by a different name. If it isn't, and doesn't have superdash's insane tracking, then it'll be the thing every character should have had.
Oh, I'm all for uniqueness. I'm just saying that taking away a core mechanic of the game from a character is risky. Didn't really pay off with Videl, and it may not pay off with Roshi.

We'll see.
Yeah, definitely. I probably came off a bit dismissive in my last few posts, but really I’m all for this. It’s nice to see them experimenting with different things.

It also suggests they really did hold off on Roshi for this long because they wanted him to be lore-faithful, which is admirable.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:16 pm

My guess is that this leaping technique that replaces superdash is going to be a direct equivalent with a different animation to justify that it tracks the opponent (for example spinning like a tornado or something).
Or the only difference will be that it doesn't track the opponent but goes exactly where he is when you input the command (perhaps faster than the superdash so that the opponent doesn't get a chance to move, effectively compensating for the lack of tracking since it's not required anymore).

But the "moving forward while passing through projectiles" is a given, so it should be close to superdash anyway.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:26 am

V-Jump scans for Roshi:
Lol he has the reverse Kamehameha

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:45 am

These pictures already show way more than the trailer.

Wait, is the reverse Kamehameha meant to be his "leaping through technique"? Is that what that actually is? That'd be hilarious, superdash with a beam trailing behind you!

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:57 am

If you check the damage spark when it hits Tien, you can see it's minimal, which implies it's really weak. This is definitely Roshi's 'superdash'.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:51 pm

Alright, I've seen a few more breakdowns and translations suggesting that reverse kamehameha isn't the "leap" mentioned in the scans, which doesn't appear to be pictured. Still another potentially useful movement option though.

Hit Super Saiyan Blue last night! I was one win away from ranking up when I started playing, but my first match of the night was against a full Ultra instinct rank player. To cut a long story short, I had to regain a lot of points to get back to where I was after that lol.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:11 am

Kataphrut wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:51 pm Alright, I've seen a few more breakdowns and translations suggesting that reverse kamehameha isn't the "leap" mentioned in the scans, which doesn't appear to be pictured. Still another potentially useful movement option though.
It is the leap, that's the only place where it says leap towards opponent and do a reverse kamehameha.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:50 am

Rage quitters about to be deleted:

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:01 pm

Nickolaidas wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:57 am If you check the damage spark when it hits Tien, you can see it's minimal, which implies it's really weak. This is definitely Roshi's 'superdash'.
The hit spark for superdash normally doesn't look like that. It's probably one of his special moves.

They say he will have a leaping technique in place of superdash and it will be like 17's wall jump. I bet it will be something like superdash only it comes out faster but is not as good at homing at opponents. They also say it doesn't have priority over projectiles.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

In Brightest Day
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by In Brightest Day » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:00 am

Complete gaming noob here: is there any space for Dragonball characters from the earlier arcs to be included in the game? I’m thinking largely non-ki blast using characters? Nam, Chi-Chi, Bora, Chappa, Tao, and King Piccolo are probably the chief characters I’m considering.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:04 am

In Brightest Day wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:00 am Complete gaming noob here: is there any space for Dragonball characters from the earlier arcs to be included in the game? I’m thinking largely non-ki blast using characters? Nam, Chi-Chi, Bora, Chappa, Tao, and King Piccolo are probably the chief characters I’m considering.
As much as I'd love them to appear, ArcSys confirmed that no pre-Z characters (as in ones that died/disappeared before Z, so Roshi managed to get in) would appear. They've kept pretty consistent with that promise even though they've broken others.

Remember when they said no alternate transformations as separate characters? Um...

I'm holding out hope for OG DB characters in the sequel.

Meito

Post by Meito » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:31 am

Kataphrut wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:50 am Rage quitters about to be deleted:

Maybe it would have been better to remove some BPs as a penalty. Many ragequitters have become such in order get higher ranks.
Anyway at least is something, thanks Hiroki!

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:39 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:04 am
In Brightest Day wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:00 am Complete gaming noob here: is there any space for Dragonball characters from the earlier arcs to be included in the game? I’m thinking largely non-ki blast using characters? Nam, Chi-Chi, Bora, Chappa, Tao, and King Piccolo are probably the chief characters I’m considering.
As much as I'd love them to appear, ArcSys confirmed that no pre-Z characters (as in ones that died/disappeared before Z, so Roshi managed to get in) would appear. They've kept pretty consistent with that promise even though they've broken others.

Remember when they said no alternate transformations as separate characters? Um...

The only character ArcSystem outright deconfirmed was Tao Pai Pai which is understandable given his obscurity (at least among western fans).

Chi-Chi and King Piccolo are the only Dragon Ball characters that realistically have any chance of making it but they're still unlikely as well.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:00 pm

Ironic considering several of those characters are not Goku at all.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:07 am

Anonymous Friend wrote:

It's just a stupid joke, calling separate characters 50%, 25% Goku since some are his children, some have his cells and what not. Because everyone knows, there's just too many Gokus in this game, hyuk hyuk!

In Brightest Day
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by In Brightest Day » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:17 am

mute_proxy wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:07 am
Anonymous Friend wrote:

It's just a stupid joke, calling separate characters 50%, 25% Goku since some are his children, some have his cells and what not. Because everyone knows, there's just too many Gokus in this game, hyuk hyuk!
Again, I’m not A gamer, but people who make those criticisms are not wrong. At least, alternate versions of non-Saiyan/Goku characters should be added to balance things out.

In Brightest Day
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by In Brightest Day » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:23 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:39 am

The only character ArcSystem outright deconfirmed was Tao Pai Pai which is understandable given his obscurity (at least among western fans).

Chi-Chi and King Piccolo are the only Dragon Ball characters that realistically have any chance of making it but they're still unlikely as well.
Damn, that’s disappointing - what gives, when the game is going to sell regardless of the amount of “obscure” characters there are?

Is pre-Z generally regarded as obscure in pop culture these days?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:46 am

In Brightest Day wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:23 am Damn, that’s disappointing - what gives, when the game is going to sell regardless of the amount of “obscure” characters there are?

Is pre-Z generally regarded as obscure in pop culture these days?
It's more niche than obscure. Most western countries got DBZ first so many felt it was pointless watching the first show especially since it had a slow start.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:23 pm

Funny I think Tao Pai-Pai is the only “Pre Z” character worth adding. King Piccolo.... Eh 🤷🏾‍♂️.. I mean they can always take bits from Piccolo and Ginyu and make something fresh out of it. I say Ginyu because Daimaoh could have Tambourine, Drum and Cymbol jump in for certain attacks like the Force does for Ginyu.

While I mostly wanna say no to Chi-Chi as well, considering that they added Videl of all people then I guess they could do some fun stuff with Chi-Chi as well, she’s the more aesthetically entertaining character between she and Videl anyway.

As far as anyone else it’s gonna be a hard no from me, I have no interest in Ranfan, Bacterian and Nam if mostly because they’re so minor I couldn’t imagine a fully fleshed out character for the game. Granted they could always get creative, which is fine but again they’re so minor, that it doesn’t matter. I can’t imagine an EVO crowd getting hype at a Manwolf gameplay trailer.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels