"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Tai Lung » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:16 pm

really ... outside of not liking fighting ... broly does not share any similarity with gohan and this characteristic is also shared by trunks is not something unique to him.

the only argument I see that they give against the new broly is that it is a copy of "hulk" but the old broly was a copy of doomsday, a monster that only thinks of destroy, they kill him, he returns but they kill him definitively and then some scientists clone him to return ..

one thing is that we are liked the evil and violent attitude of the old broly but that does not make it better than the new

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:56 pm

Nickolaidas wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:43 amI think Super Broly should stay in the sequel and the movie Z Broly should take a hike.
Absolutely. This Broly has been revised and corrected to be physically and mentally MUCH better than the Z "mwa ha ha, me love to slaughter everyone and everything" shallow psychopath. Unless you need an extra truly bad guy for the story or something, why bother with the old one anymore?

Just like the new Gogeta likely has priority over the old one now (and rightfully so).

There's always ways to reference the old versions, the newer versions already do it in the movies anyway.

Bardack can be replaced by his real version while we're at it, much better physically and mentally as well.

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:45 pm

OG Broly- Better design & personality(only in movie 8 )
Super Broly-Better backstory & character development

That's just me.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:10 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:56 pmBardack can be replaced by his real version while we're at it, much better physically and mentally as well.
How Bardock is "physically better"? And there's no "real version" when it comes to him but anyway.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:06 am

^ His armor looks better, which makes him physically nicer. Though this is a matter of opinion, but the latest main story version should take over anyway.

Also, the DBS Broly movie is meant to fit in the main story - covering Minus which is itself fits with the main story -: Goku was a kid able to stand on his two feets and wear a Saiyan armor that was sent on Earth by both his parents out of affection for him. The Bardack that lived through this is the one that is connected to the main storyline.

Just like for the real Broly and the real Gogeta, the real Bardack is the DBS Broly one, with other versions having clearly never existed in the main storyline as soon as this movie unequivocally discarded them and retconned them if need be.
Personal preferences don't come in line compared to the recent validated material clearly stating "THIS is what happened and existed regardless of what we might have shown years ago and THIS is what will be taken as real in future developments of the story from now on unless stated otherwise in the future as well".

Other versions are "real" is you want... in other dimensions, just like the movies. Which is why we can take a shortcut and say that the "real" version is the one from our dimension, just like in Buffy where we can say the "real Buffy" is the nice-tempered one who didn't die against the Master in a city overtaken by vampires, just like in Arrow the "real Oliver" is the one who didn't die on the ship wreck on another Earth, just like in Dragon Ball the "real" Goku is the one who didn't die from a heart attack, just like in Marvel the "real" Spider-man is the one who never turned into a zombie to eat Mary Jane and Aunt May.

The "real" one is the one who fits with the on-going main story and that we mainly follow and that might actually matter in future plot points and references in the main story, the rest are "alternates" from "side stories" / "side dimensions" compared to the main one. We can take a quick look at them through exceptional circumstances, but they don't interact with the main road being taken and are not playing a role in that road. They might exist somewhere, but from our point of view on the main road, they're sort of ghostly figures in the distant landscape that will not impact the roadway. They are not "real" in our path, they are "what-ifs" compared to the road chosen by the author nowadays.
Last edited by Cold Skin on Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:16 am

I think replacing the old Bardock with the new one wouldn't be a bad idea. I mean it would be just the looks either way. Like how Gogeta Blue uses moves from Fusion Reborn and what not, it would still be a "universal" Bardock (maybe just skip SS stuff)

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:27 am

^ Exactly, the newer versions already reference the old versions, and they can add even more references just like they did with Gogeta.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:28 am

Cold Skin wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:06 am^ His armor looks better, which makes him physically nicer. Though this is a matter of opinion, but the latest main story version should take over anyway.
But the "new" Bardock lacks the headband. And I think I can safely say that's a huge deal compared to a simple armor style/design.
Cold Skin wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:06 amJust like for the real Broly and the real Gogeta, the real Bardack is the DBS Broly one, with other versions having clearly never existed in the main storyline as soon as this movie unequivocally discarded them and retconned them if need be.
Personal preferences don't come in line compared to the recent validated material clearly stating "THIS is what happened and existed regardless of what we might have shown years ago and THIS is what will be taken as real in future developments of the story from now on unless stated otherwise in the future as well".
The problem with that is that the "other version" of Bardock is in the manga too. And unlike Broly and Gogeta, who are characters that truly exist in another dimension, the TV Special Bardock is meant to exist in the "main" one (and in both in Toei and Toriyama's continuities).

I'm not into "latest versions must always take precedence over older ones" (depending on the case and specially if I start considering the context and such) but that's me.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:03 am

Wait, but even if the specials are meant to exist in the main/canon/real thing there is no guarantee that the events that happened there happened in the same way as in the manga, so they are essentially "filler". So the manga will have precedence about the special.

With that said, I have doubts about replacing Bardock. IMO the new version is better but unlike Gogeta and Broly he almost don't have moves that can be used in the game.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:05 am

You know what, if he ditches the Super Saiyan stuff, I'd happily take Minus Bardock as the new default. To me, the games piling Super Saiyan transformations on Bardock, even the "classy" ones like FighterZ, is a bigger insult to the character than anything Minus did with him. At least in that one he's still just a regular dude who tried to stop Freeza and failed.

Plus, it's not a bad look. I know the bandana is iconic, but the modern square-shoulder armour and the yellow and blue colour scheme is pretty slick. I like that his colour 6 in the game resembles it.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:32 am

SSJgogeto wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:03 amWait, but even if the specials are meant to exist in the main/canon/real thing there is no guarantee that the events that happened there happened in the same way as in the manga, so they are essentially "filler". So the manga will have precedence about the special.
By "TV Special Bardock" I don't mean the TV Special itself, I'm referring to that Bardock specifically. I should have worded that better.

The TV Specials are to this day legit events in the anime continuity. Toei even used a scene from Trunks TV Special in Dragon Ball Super (fun fact: Toyotaro portrayed kid Vegeta with bangs in his manga). Unless you think that the anime also takes place in another dimension.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:17 pm

Nah, as far as I know the anime is canonical (here we go again :lol:).

But there's a thing about that scene: it was a mix of the special and the manga.

In the manga Trunks found Gohan dead, cried and smashed the floor. In the special Trunks found Gohan dead, cried, transformed (for the first time) into SS and then he smashed the floor. In DBS Trunks found Gohan dead, cried, smashed the floor and then he transformed into SS. So technically the scene still follows the manga, but with a bonus.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:39 am

Nickolaidas wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:43 am Unlike Z Broly, I can feel the rage in these screenshots. I think Super Broly should stay in the sequel and the movie Z Broly should take a hike.
I don't think that will happen because you have many people who still like the original Broly. The original Broly will always keep on being used in video games and other merchandise because he still sells well. If you want to compare to another franchise, look at Godzilla. We have different versions of Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, etc. and the other old versions of them are still being used in other media.

Even if the new Broly is canon to Toriyama's story, the old Broly will always be around until the end of time.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:23 am

Cold Skin wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:27 am ^ Exactly, the newer versions already reference the old versions, and they can add even more references just like they did with Gogeta.
The new Bardock only did one attack in DBS Broly so there's not point in changing Toei Bardock for him, unlike DBS Broly and SSB Gogeta who already have a proper new moveset on their own. The references to the old versions are just a bonus.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:29 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:05 am You know what, if he ditches the Super Saiyan stuff, I'd happily take Minus Bardock as the new default. To me, the games piling Super Saiyan transformations on Bardock, even the "classy" ones like FighterZ, is a bigger insult to the character than anything Minus did with him. At least in that one he's still just a regular dude who tried to stop Freeza and failed.

Plus, it's not a bad look. I know the bandana is iconic, but the modern square-shoulder armour and the yellow and blue colour scheme is pretty slick. I like that his colour 6 in the game resembles it.
Wasn't Super Saiyan Bardock /Episode of Bardock used to promote a video game? And now it ends up in other games. Fighterz 2 is gonna have SSG Trunks and SS4 Broly :p

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:39 pm

Noah wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:29 pm
Nickolaidas wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:43 am Unlike Z Broly, I can feel the rage in these screenshots. I think Super Broly should stay in the sequel and the movie Z Broly should take a hike.
Speak it for yourself. As Z Broly (at least in Movie 8 ) is much better than a full blooded Saiyan version of Gohan or better yet "Saiyan Hulk" that Super Broly attempts to be.
I'm not talking about his portrayal in the anime, I'm talking about his portrayal in the game.

Super Broly looks as if he's in pure rage mode, while Z Broly always has a cocky smirk or smile which gives the vibe of being in total control of his emotions (which is the exact opposite of what Broly should be - Z or Super).

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:42 pm

Broly (DBS) Character Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kswIy2t0jlg

ASW keeps going higher and higher. The outro is just unbelievable, OMG!!!
His level 3 seems to have a nod to Bio-Broly around 1:04.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:36 pm

THIS is how you do Broly justice. Unstable, psychotic, with power that cannot be contained.

I stand by my opinion - DBS Broly makes DBZ Broly look completely unnecessary.

Now I wanna know who the S3 characters are ...

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:57 pm

Nickolaidas wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:36 pm THIS is how you do Broly justice. Unstable, psychotic, with power that cannot be contained.

I stand by my opinion - DBS Broly makes DBZ Broly look completely unnecessary.

Now I wanna know who the S3 characters are ...
I had to go back and watch the DBZ version's trailer for comparison. Why is DBS Broly so raw?

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:08 pm

I never thought I'd live to see a near perfect, 2D DBZ fighter. God, what a fucking game.