"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:25 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:16 am I love that this game keeps the trend of being the most busted character in every video game he appears in
That's how he is in the show, he's so overpowered that the strongest villain (at the time) couldn't land a single hit on him, despite easily toying with two Ssj4s. Even Jiren and Moro were able to land good hits on MUI Goku despite being so powerful.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:56 pm

Guess #16 is secretly the most broken character since he has an insta kill move even easier than SSJ4 Gogeta. :lol:

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:14 pm

LightBing wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:56 pm Guess #16 is secretly the most broken character since he has an insta kill move even easier than SSJ4 Gogeta. :lol:
You think A16's obvious tell and slightly slower hop is easier to kill than a basic combo into level 1 Super, or using assists to open an opponent up to do a Level 1 Super?

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:18 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:34 amI've had people call the Dragonballs on me. It wasn't OP, but it makes fights you were already winning more of a chore, and fights you weren't winning even more of a nightmare. And Gogeta can call them without having to combo. This game is annoying enough as it is.
It's not like you're locked out of using the Dragon Balls yourself :eh: , if anything your opponent summoning DBs on command can make it easier for you to get Shenron. Even then you need to save 7 bars that are better used to kill you opponent character's, and land the ligh auto-combo, a competent player would hold back that amount for bars and never use them.
FoolsGil wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:34 am But Basic Combos that lead to Level 1, or using assists to open an opponent to do a level 1, are one of the first things you learn when you play Fighterz. This isn't a ToD where you have to throw out everything you know about this game, and train on energy conservation, button pressing and timing. This is the most basic combo of the game, turned into a ToD.

Now, if the methods to activate was as slow as charging for ki, or if like with Ultimate Gohan, 7 energy bars needed to be expended for the move to be a TOD, I can agree with you and Lightbring about this move being almost impossible to pull. But its not. Gogeta's method to activate is even faster's than Goku's call for Genki Dama Energy. The Devs made SSJ4 Gogeta explicitly for tons of people to buy him and spam the shit activating the TOD, performing the TOD and getting Dragonballs.
For the lv3 to kill you still need to charge up to lv7 and even then the levels counter reset at any point you do a lv1 or a lv3 super, meaning if you want that lv7 you will need to sacrifice using z-change super with Gogeta and thus potentially not getting to kill your opponent character in a combo.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:29 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:18 pm It's not like you're locked out of using the Dragon Balls yourself :eh: , if anything your opponent summoning DBs on command can make it easier for you to get Shenron. Even then you need to save 7 bars that are better used to kill you opponent character's, and land the ligh auto-combo, a competent player would hold back that amount for bars and never use them.

So basically its okay that fights become, Gogeta getting seven balls without breaking a sweat, and is followed by a rush to who can gather seven energy gauges and do the combo to summon the dragon. Gee that sounds like so much fun and better than before. :problem:

For the lv3 to kill you still need to charge up to lv7 and even then the levels counter reset at any point you do a lv1 or a lv3 super, meaning if you want that lv7 you will need to sacrifice using z-change super with Gogeta and thus potentially not getting to kill your opponent character in a combo.
That's not hard. Auto combo fighters you don't need to work that hard to beat your opponent into the ground you don't need lv1 or lv 3. So this isn't going to be a problem for anyone.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:48 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:29 pmSo basically its okay that fights become, Gogeta getting seven balls without breaking a sweat, and is followed by a rush to who can gather seven energy gauges and do the combo to summon the dragon. Gee that sounds like so much fun and better than before. :problem:
Again, saving up 7 bars is a total waste because you can't optimally kill your opponent characters without buring meter and not using the meter for anything puts you at risk of losing characters in your team.
FoolsGil wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:29 pmThat's not hard. Auto combo fighters you don't need to work that hard to beat your opponent into the ground you don't need lv1 or lv 3. So this isn't going to be a problem for anyone.
Auto combos by themselves are not enough to kill, you need optimization and that requieres burning meter and supers. The only scenario where auto combos can beat your opponent to the ground is at lower levels of play.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:52 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:48 pm
FoolsGil wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:29 pmSo basically its okay that fights become, Gogeta getting seven balls without breaking a sweat, and is followed by a rush to who can gather seven energy gauges and do the combo to summon the dragon. Gee that sounds like so much fun and better than before. :problem:
Again, saving up 7 bars is a total waste because you can't optimally kill your opponent characters without buring meter and not using the meter for anything puts you at risk of losing characters in your team.
FoolsGil wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:29 pmThat's not hard. Auto combo fighters you don't need to work that hard to beat your opponent into the ground you don't need lv1 or lv 3. So this isn't going to be a problem for anyone.
Auto combos by themselves are not enough to kill, you need optimization and that requieres burning meter and supers. The only scenario where auto combos can beat your opponent to the ground is at lower levels of play.
Well now we're just going into opinion. Just because you believe something isn't optimal, or is a waste is based on how you play the game. But fighters find a way, and you best believe someone at both ends of the spectrum of player viability, from the lower rung noobs to the FGCs will get Gogeta and whatever beliefs there are be damned, because they are going to want to handle business exactly the way I predicted.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:30 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:14 pm
LightBing wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:56 pm Guess #16 is secretly the most broken character since he has an insta kill move even easier than SSJ4 Gogeta. :lol:
You think A16's obvious tell and slightly slower hop is easier to kill than a basic combo into level 1 Super, or using assists to open an opponent up to do a Level 1 Super?
SSJ4 Gogeta needs to level up 7 times and then perform the level 3, it's a far bigger requirement than #16. Regardless both are purposely ineffective moves because of balance. #16 is incredibly slow and Gogeta's is a hard requirement.

No worthwhile opponent will look at you while you taunt and level up.
Incorporating the taunt in combos begs the question, why not just straight up damage the opponent instead?

The combo demonstration had one which did all 7 levels but it used sparking and 2 C-assist behind. It would have been more efficient to learn a sparking route to kill like other characters do.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:52 pm

LightBing wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:30 pm
SSJ4 Gogeta needs to level up 7 times and then perform the level 3, it's a far bigger requirement than #16. Regardless both are purposely ineffective moves because of balance. #16 is incredibly slow and Gogeta's is a hard requirement.

Incorporating the taunt in combos begs the question, why not just straight up damage the opponent instead?

The combo demonstration had one which did all 7 levels but it used sparking and 2 C-assist behind. It would have been more efficient to learn a sparking route to kill like other characters do.
It's not hard. Whether you consider the moves a waste of time to prepare everything is based on your playing preferences, but no, getting that done is not hard. That's really the point I've been making. All this stuff they gave to SSJ4 Gogeta is not hard, and easy to spam, and quick to activating

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:08 pm

Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta was the undisputed strongest character in all of Dragon Ball for over 15 years, so I guess it’s no surprise that they’d make him such a broken character in this game.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:55 pm

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:29 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:08 pm Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta was the undisputed strongest character in all of Dragon Ball for over 15 years, so I guess it’s no surprise that they’d make him such a broken character in this game.
He is still the most overpowered character in franchise imo. That doesn't even have to mean he is the strongest character. I mean you might think Gogeta Blue is stronger, but he was less impressive for two simple reasons:
-He was doing worse against his opponent, still displaying huge gap between unfused SSB and fused SSB, but not as huge as SS4 Gogeta
-Broly, no matter how strong he is, was a savage saiyan using just SSJ form he couldn't even achieve minutes before. Combination of all dragons that got power from all the wishes over years is just more impressive villain on paper.

It's all about how impressive Gogeta SSJ4 was back then. It just makes sense for him to be displayed as such strong character. Being weaker or stronger than DBS character really means nothing here. SSJ Blue Goku could one shot Gogeta SSJ4 but he will not be as amazing as him like ever, seeing how he got surpased by Frieza in 4 months in his debut making SSB probably the least impressive form in entire franchise ruining any sense of power in Super until UI. The only character that could compete with Gogeta SSJ4 in terms of displaying impressive power would be UI Goku really. And once again, more impressive doesn't mean stronger. I don't want any discussion about power levels here.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:29 pm

Where did the "Return to Monke" jokes come from?
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:54 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:52 pm
LightBing wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:30 pm

It's not hard. Whether you consider the moves a waste of time to prepare everything is based on your playing preferences, but no, getting that done is not hard. That's really the point I've been making. All this stuff they gave to SSJ4 Gogeta is not hard, and easy to spam, and quick to activating
The one thing I do kind of agree on about this is the fact that the full taunt animation doesn't need to play out to gain a level. That seems like a mistake and something I could see getting changed. However, you still have to spend a bar to get the post-vanish taunt they were showing off, so it's just trading one resource for another.

Honestly, I see this move being a bit of a noob-catcher. I reckon there's going to be a lot of people on day one trying to shoot for level 7 and getting ruined for it because they keep leaving themselves open to taunt, or missing out on the chance to kill off a super so they don't reset the count. Same with the Dragon Ball move- DPs are traditionally very effective moves to have if you land them, but they're also very punishable since they're meant to be used defensively. If someone's just spamming it to try and build up seven Dragon Balls, they're going to get punished for it.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:19 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:29 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:08 pm Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta was the undisputed strongest character in all of Dragon Ball for over 15 years, so I guess it’s no surprise that they’d make him such a broken character in this game.
He is still the most overpowered character in franchise imo. That doesn't even have to mean he is the strongest character. I mean you might think Gogeta Blue is stronger, but he was less impressive for two simple reasons:
-He was doing worse against his opponent, still displaying huge gap between unfused SSB and fused SSB, but not as huge as SS4 Gogeta
-Broly, no matter how strong he is, was a savage saiyan using just SSJ form he couldn't even achieve minutes before. Combination of all dragons that got power from all the wishes over years is just more impressive villain on paper.

It's all about how impressive Gogeta SSJ4 was back then. It just makes sense for him to be displayed as such strong character. Being weaker or stronger than DBS character really means nothing here. SSJ Blue Goku could one shot Gogeta SSJ4 but he will not be as amazing as him like ever, seeing how he got surpased by Frieza in 4 months in his debut making SSB probably the least impressive form in entire franchise ruining any sense of power in Super until UI. The only character that could compete with Gogeta SSJ4 in terms of displaying impressive power would be UI Goku really. And once again, more impressive doesn't mean stronger. I don't want any discussion about power levels here.
I was definitely not trying to start a power level discussion. Just pointing out that Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta has had a reputation as the biggest badass of the Dragon Ball universe for well over a decade, which is probably why he’s apparently such a broken character in this game.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:40 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:19 pm I was definitely not trying to start a power level discussion. Just pointing out that Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta has had a reputation as the biggest badass of the Dragon Ball universe for well over a decade, which is probably why he’s apparently such a broken character in this game.
Yeah that was my point as well. One of the most notable things about Gogeta in GT was his power and speed so high that Omega couldn't even see his punches so it makes sense why most games made him like that. He was created to be op and like definitive fighter back then.

I wasn't accusing you though, just saying that in case anyone wanted to start such discussion as that wasn't what i wanted to do either.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:17 pm

Seeing a bit of despondency on the timeline re FighterZ- I don't know if there was an official announcement, but everyone is convinced that this is indeed the end of the games support. I'm not so sure about that- even if SS4 Gogeta is the last character (which I would be absolutely fine with tbh), I reckon the community following will keep it afloat with online tournaments and things, plus there could still be some small support from the developers like balance updates.

The game has had a pretty good run too- over three years of support, plenty of successful events and a solid community around it. Compare that to MvC:I for example.

Speaking of balance updates, I never noticed how much UI Gokus get away with spamming 2H until it was about to get nerfed. I was playing last night and ran up to punish one after blocking it and he smacked me the nanosecond he hit the ground. I was like "you're not gonna get away with that for much longer, mate".

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:11 pm

I think Bandai is handling the Dragon Ball IP differently now. Instead of shitting out a half assed game every year like they used to, I think they found a formula that works. Which is, lets publish a decent game and support it for as long as we can. We're in a weird time where there's something for every one. If you want a full on serious fighting game, go for FighterZ, if you want something more casual but has more creative cosmetic options go for Xenoverse and if you don't care for fighting games at all and enjoy action adventure then go for Kakarot.

Hard to say what the future holds when they have 3 solid projects still bringing them money.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:35 am

Kataphrut wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:17 pm Seeing a bit of despondency on the timeline re FighterZ- I don't know if there was an official announcement, but everyone is convinced that this is indeed the end of the games support. I'm not so sure about that- even if SS4 Gogeta is the last character (which I would be absolutely fine with tbh), I reckon the community following will keep it afloat with online tournaments and things, plus there could still be some small support from the developers like balance updates.

The game has had a pretty good run too- over three years of support, plenty of successful events and a solid community around it. Compare that to MvC:I for example.

Speaking of balance updates, I never noticed how much UI Gokus get away with spamming 2H until it was about to get nerfed. I was playing last night and ran up to punish one after blocking it and he smacked me the nanosecond he hit the ground. I was like "you're not gonna get away with that for much longer, mate".
The producer confirmed balance patches and events in the future.

If dlc/content support is in-fact over it means FighterZ 2 is on the way which I doubt since it's still pretty soon. Only recently we had the UI renewal, mechanics changes and adding extra assists, that's a pretty huge update just to drop the game after only 1 year.

They probably didn't announce anything because covid 19 has brought the World to a halt, people are making a big deal out of nothing.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:06 pm

We had a leak dailogue with SSj4 Gogeta and Super Yi Xing Long a while back. I doubt they scrap any plans for future DLC.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/