"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:50 pm

Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:37 pm

I wonder if the build will be the same as EVO?
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:54 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote:
It will not, it's in the article. New version of the game and a new trailer.
Last edited by LightBing on Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:30 pm

LightBing wrote:
ShadowBardock89 wrote:
Yes it will, it's in the article. New version of the game and a new trailer.
That last sentence contradicts what you wrote. So, it will be a new build then?

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:35 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote: That last sentence contradicts what you wrote. So, it will be a new build then?
My mistake, I edited my previous post to avoid confusion. Like I said it's in the article, there will be a new version. I expect with all the characters announced so far.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:27 am

Well after 102, fingers crossed for Ribrianne along with the Pride Troopers.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:31 pm

https://pvplive.net/c/dragon-ball-fight ... android-17

Looks like it's more or less confirmed that #17 will be in the game.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:27 pm

WittyUsername wrote:https://pvplive.net/c/dragon-ball-fight ... android-17

Looks like it's more or less confirmed that #17 will be in the game.
It was expected, but that's hilarious. :lol:
C18 is pretty much confirmed if so.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:53 pm

I gave it a 10% chance #17 wouldn't be in the game because he's so similar to #18, who would always be in since she's far more relevant.

In my opinion #17 might be a redundant character in terms of playstyle. How different can he be from #18? Unless they take elements from Super, differentiate them will be a hard task to complete.

With this and including #18(99% chance she's in) that's 11 characters. The obligatory core cast is almost completed. I expect people will soon start complaining when they feel x character deserved to be in instead of x character.

My top 3 for characters I really want to see at this juncture are: Tenshinhan, Gotenks and Nappa.
The three are relevant story wise, unique and with incredible potential for a fighting game.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:10 pm

LightBing wrote: In my opinion #17 might be a redundant character in terms of playstyle. How different can he be from #18? Unless they take elements from Super, differentiate them will be a hard task to complete.
The easy (or cheap, depending on your perspective) way to solve this would be doing what Street Fighter does to its shotoclone characters, i.e: have the "same" movesets but with different stats (number of i-frames for certain moves, dmg output, movement speed, how chainable or not certain moves are with one another, etc).
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:31 pm

LightBing wrote: In my opinion #17 might be a redundant character in terms of playstyle. How different can he be from #18? Unless they take elements from Super, differentiate them will be a hard task to complete.
Their moveset in Xenoverse is completely different and even when they shared some attacks they also had some ones that were unique, like in Burst Limit and Super DBZ. It's incredibly easy to make them different characters.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:29 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:The easy (or cheap, depending on your perspective) way to solve this would be doing what Street Fighter does to its shotoclone characters, i.e: have the "same" movesets but with different stats (number of i-frames for certain moves, dmg output, movement speed, how chainable or not certain moves are with one another, etc).
That's a way to make them different. Still that doesn't affect their play style. Thinking about it and based on how Arc System has built the current characters, if they go with scenes from the manga(basically copy paste the fights against Vegeta and Piccolo), you can make them moderately different.

Since you mentioned movement speed, it would great if #17 was specialized in speed, like mentioned in the manga. This attention to detail would be amazing.
Quebaz wrote:Their moveset in Xenoverse is completely different and even when they shared some attacks they also had some ones that were unique, like in Burst Limit and Super DBZ. It's incredibly easy to make them different characters.
I only played Burst Limit from these games and there they are very alike. Their main attack is basically the same with a different colour scheme; if my memory serves me.

Like I said above to Neo-Makaiōshin, maybe they won't be that equal like I initially thought. Still I strongly disagree that it's "incredibly easy" to make them different.
#18 has the kienzan and the attack used to kill Future Gohan, #17 has his energy field and the attack used to kill Future Gohan. That's it.
Generic ki attacks aren't a solution.

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:39 pm

Isn't it 18 who's redundant to 17?He seems to have a more defined moveset these days

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:05 am

Big Black Saiyan wrote:Isn't it 18 who's redundant to 17?He seems to have a more defined moveset these days
18 is the top choice for a female fighter. She's in. Even if she had the same moveset with 17 (which she doesn't), she's still the only solid female fighter in all of Z. There's no way in hell #17 is more relevant than her, Super or no Super.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:11 am

17 has a bunch of new moves in Super, if they decide to use them.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:16 am

LightBing wrote:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:The easy (or cheap, depending on your perspective) way to solve this would be doing what Street Fighter does to its shotoclone characters, i.e: have the "same" movesets but with different stats (number of i-frames for certain moves, dmg output, movement speed, how chainable or not certain moves are with one another, etc).
That's a way to make them different. Still that doesn't affect their play style.
I'm not sure what you mean by playstyle here. What I think of as playstyle(zoning vs rushdown) would absolutely be altered by differences like movement speed and changing the properties and frame advantage of moves.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:33 am

LightBing wrote: Like I said above to Neo-Makaiōshin, maybe they won't be that equal like I initially thought. Still I strongly disagree that it's "incredibly easy" to make them different.
#18 has the kienzan and the attack used to kill Future Gohan, #17 has his energy field and the attack used to kill Future Gohan. That's it.
Generic ki attacks aren't a solution.
It is when others games have already made them unique.
Xenoverse gave us a boomerang Ki Disc, a teleport grab that ends with a blast to the face, flying kicks taken from his battle against Piccolo (not too unlike Super DBZ and Battle of Z) and a massive horizontal ki wave.

The Sparking/Raging Blast games have a double energy ball, one from each hand and a one handed Ki Beam from his battle against Future Gohan.

Then yeah you have the barrier, the Ki volley, Power Blitz from the Budokai games, Burst Limit gave him a point-blank Energy Ball and all the physical moves that Arc could come up with panels from the manga.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:10 pm

I think having 17 and 18 for this game is a no brainer, given their roles in Super as of late. Plus, they have a tag team dynamic in the lore. I wonder if 16 will round out Team Android?

Would the Ginyu Force be involved in the game? Ginyu and Recoome usually get the nod, but why not Jeice and Burter? Out of the Ginyu Force, they have shown the most team dynamic.

I guess its too early to tell how deep the roster will be once the usual suspects are all revealed.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:26 pm

Simere wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by playstyle here. What I think of as playstyle(zoning vs rushdown) would absolutely be altered by differences like movement speed and changing the properties and frame advantage of moves.
I meant visually which is what casual players will notice, that and specials/ultimates. I have to be careful with my wording, usually a Dragon Ball game doesn't care about fighting game terms.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:37 pm

If they keep the norm of revealing two new characters each month and the next duo isn't C17/C18, then just like that we will have 4 characters "revealed" this month. :lol:

I'm expecting the next two to be Yamcha and Tenshinhan.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.