"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:27 pm

LightBing wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:35 am Patch is insane, they went wild.

Don't know if this is a goodbye and they went ham or just testing stuff for a potential DVFZ2. Probably both actually...
Didn't got the update but what's so different from what was before?
mute_proxy wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:29 amIt's not SS2 Goku on the box, it's SS1 charging forward. Fast movement moves the hair. Also it's the most marketable form, so the choice is obvious. FighterZ cover:
Marketable or not this was so badly drawn that everyone though it was Movie 9 Gohan istead of Goku.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:32 pm

Noah wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:27 pm
LightBing wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:35 am Patch is insane, they went wild.

Don't know if this is a goodbye and they went ham or just testing stuff for a potential DVFZ2. Probably both actually...
Didn't got the update but what's so different from what was before?
A whole bunch of changes to the system mechanics and major buffs to just about every character. You can tag off special moves, guard cancel in the air, there's a vanish guard cancel that costs 2 bar (which I have never found worth it fwiw). Some characters straight up got new moves like Baseku getting a j2m that gives him sliding knockdown anywhere, SSku getting a new version of his lvl 3 where he keeps corner but does one less hit of damage while staying in Super Saiyan 1, or Trunks and Vegetto getting extensions to their lvl 1 and lvl 3 supers respectively.

It flattened the tier list for a while too. People didn't really get an idea of the top-tiers until the French went and ruined everything by convincing everyone Vegetto and SS4 Gogeta were the two best characters in the game.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:58 am

Ah, this game is so wonderful to watch that it saddens me that there won't be new content now.
And no announcement of Fighterz 2 with glimpses of it either.

This is the trough of the wave where we don't get anything new from Fighterz 1 anymore, and don't have any info or visual to dream about Fighterz 2 either.

I don't like the trough of the wave. They should always give us crumbles of what's to come to hold onto.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:16 pm

How can I possibly get out of people pummeling me in combos, never figured out. I could play the game alright as it was released, but for the last few months, the online got insane and I have no chance even though I still hold my legacy title Super Saiyan 2.

Is there some tutorial on how to guard effectively and get out of this? Otherwise the guard virtually doesn't work for me as soon as I get hit by these crazy people.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:36 pm

The only thing you can do is take a look at what you think are lacking on defense and practice that consitentely.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:21 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:16 pm How can I possibly get out of people pummeling me in combos, never figured out. I could play the game alright as it was released, but for the last few months, the online got insane and I have no chance even though I still hold my legacy title Super Saiyan 2.

Is there some tutorial on how to guard effectively and get out of this? Otherwise the guard virtually doesn't work for me as soon as I get hit by these crazy people.
Have you tried the dojo they added in season 3? It’s got some decent tutorial features, way better than what was in at launch. Piccolo’s tutorial covers blocking and Whis covers oki, those might be useful to you.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:17 am

Kataphrut wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:21 pm
MCDaveG wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:16 pm How can I possibly get out of people pummeling me in combos, never figured out. I could play the game alright as it was released, but for the last few months, the online got insane and I have no chance even though I still hold my legacy title Super Saiyan 2.

Have you tried the dojo they added in season 3? It’s got some decent tutorial features, way better than what was in at launch. Piccolo’s tutorial covers blocking and Whis covers oki, those might be useful to you.
Great! Will try that definitely. Thanks a lot for the tip.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:07 am

Fighterz is free on game pass for Xbox in a day.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:59 am

FIGHTERZ has sold 8 millon units.

From November 12th to December 16th, each week a different set of paid DLC characters will be made avaialbe to play for free. Requieres to have an internet connection.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:23 pm

Tekken 7 is at 7 million sales, SF5 at 5.5 million, MK 11 at 12 million and Smash at 25 million.

It's the 3rd best selling fighting game of the last gen. If Bandai is smart, they'll release FighterZ 2 with rollback netcode and make bank, plus it's a tag game a niche within a niche.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:44 pm

Interesting that Street Fighter's been out the longest yet sold the absolute least, how did Capcom drop the ball like that with all the momentum they had with SF4.

While honestly at the end of the day I didn't fall in love with Fighterz the way that I wanted to (chalk it up to just not having the time) its wildly impressive that its the 3rd best fighting game of the PS4 era considering its competition. Bamco & Arks have to know that they have a monster on their hands should they decide to turn this IP into a series.

8 million copies over the course of 3 years has to make it the best sell Dragon Ball game of all time right? I'm sure none of the Budokai games sold nearly that and I know they said the Xenoverse series sold over 10 million units but thats the combined sales of two separate games.

Still though, its a stark reminder of just how much of a niche fighting games really are considering that COD casually does double digit million sales every year. Mortal Kombat is pretty much the most recognizable fighting game franchise and even MK11's sales is a milestone for the series at 12 million. Smash must be an outlier, that 25 mil is outrageous considering that whenever I talk to someone casually about video games they almost never mention smash at all, you'll hear them reference MK, SF or Tekken before Smash. That's interesting for sure, then again not really since people seem to love Mario Kart, I cant tell you how many dates i've been on where that game is mentioned.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:06 am

goku the krump dancer wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:44 pm 8 million copies over the course of 3 years has to make it the best sell Dragon Ball game of all time right? I'm sure none of the Budokai games sold nearly that and I know they said the Xenoverse series sold over 10 million units but thats the combined sales of two separate games.
Yup, best selling game ever tied with Xenoverse 2.
goku the krump dancer wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:44 pm Still though, its a stark reminder of just how much of a niche fighting games really are considering that COD casually does double digit million sales every year. Mortal Kombat is pretty much the most recognizable fighting game franchise and even MK11's sales is a milestone for the series at 12 million. Smash must be an outlier, that 25 mil is outrageous considering that whenever I talk to someone casually about video games they almost never mention smash at all, you'll hear them reference MK, SF or Tekken before Smash. That's interesting for sure, then again not really since people seem to love Mario Kart, I cant tell you how many dates i've been on where that game is mentioned.
8 million sales is amazing for any video game that's isn't a juggernaut. CoD, Fifa, Mario main games, Pokémon main games etc..., are the only ones safe to get 10M plus.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:09 pm

LightBing wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:06 am
goku the krump dancer wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:44 pm 8 million copies over the course of 3 years has to make it the best sell Dragon Ball game of all time right? I'm sure none of the Budokai games sold nearly that and I know they said the Xenoverse series sold over 10 million units but thats the combined sales of two separate games.
Yup, best selling game ever tied with Xenoverse 2.
Impressive. I always thought Budokai 3 and/or Tenkaichi 3 were the best seller games until this day.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:34 am

goku the krump dancer wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:44 pm Interesting that Street Fighter's been out the longest yet sold the absolute least, how did Capcom drop the ball like that with all the momentum they had with SF4.

While honestly at the end of the day I didn't fall in love with Fighterz the way that I wanted to (chalk it up to just not having the time) its wildly impressive that its the 3rd best fighting game of the PS4 era considering its competition. Bamco & Arks have to know that they have a monster on their hands should they decide to turn this IP into a series.

8 million copies over the course of 3 years has to make it the best sell Dragon Ball game of all time right? I'm sure none of the Budokai games sold nearly that and I know they said the Xenoverse series sold over 10 million units but thats the combined sales of two separate games.

Still though, its a stark reminder of just how much of a niche fighting games really are considering that COD casually does double digit million sales every year. Mortal Kombat is pretty much the most recognizable fighting game franchise and even MK11's sales is a milestone for the series at 12 million. Smash must be an outlier, that 25 mil is outrageous considering that whenever I talk to someone casually about video games they almost never mention smash at all, you'll hear them reference MK, SF or Tekken before Smash. That's interesting for sure, then again not really since people seem to love Mario Kart, I cant tell you how many dates i've been on where that game is mentioned.
I guess because the fighter genre is really a niche market, still lucky Street Fighter, Guilty Gear fares quite bad as when I bought the last installment on PS4 like 3 months after release, the online was pretty much dead already.
On the other hand, FighterZ, MK or Injustice, still strong online gameplay even with older titles in series with the latter two. I guess the Dragon Ball brand in combination with solid fighter actually worked pretty well because outside of that, DB games are "cheap" franchise outings only for fans.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:29 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:44 pm Interesting that Street Fighter's been out the longest yet sold the absolute least, how did Capcom drop the ball like that with all the momentum they had with SF4.
I'm not too surprised Street Fighter 5 has fallen behind. Its reputation never quite recovered from its terrible launch. I remember being really hyped for it after loving SF4, buying an arcade stick and the official strategy guide, only to find the online was borderline unplayable (I'd regularly wait 15 minutes between Ranked/Player matches, and Battle Lounge wouldn't work at all after the 1st patch). To make matters worse the only real solo offline mode was survival mode, as VS wouldn't let you fight the CPU even though it did in every version of SF4.

Bandai Namco really got it right with Tekken 7, which is fantastic considering Tag 2's poor sales nearly killed the series. They added more flashy stuff that was easy for newcomers to do, while still retaining the core gameplay that made Tekken what it is, and built on the Akuma hype with more DLC guest characters added in.

Fighterz really came at the right time. After a bunch of mediocre/bad games on the 7th gen systems, Xenoverse 1 and 2 were something of a return to form, and then Fighterz knocked it out the park. Having Super be a thing has also helped the game, with brand new characters added to the roster.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:42 am

90sDBZ wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:29 pm
I'm not too surprised Street Fighter 5 has fallen behind. Its reputation never quite recovered from its terrible launch. I remember being really hyped for it after loving SF4, buying an arcade stick and the official strategy guide, only to find the online was borderline unplayable (I'd regularly wait 15 minutes between Ranked/Player matches, and Battle Lounge wouldn't work at all after the 1st patch). To make matters worse the only real solo offline mode was survival mode, as VS wouldn't let you fight the CPU even though it did in every version of SF4.

Bandai Namco really got it right with Tekken 7, which is fantastic considering Tag 2's poor sales nearly killed the series. They added more flashy stuff that was easy for newcomers to do, while still retaining the core gameplay that made Tekken what it is, and built on the Akuma hype with more DLC guest characters added in.

Fighterz really came at the right time. After a bunch of mediocre/bad games on the 7th gen systems, Xenoverse 1 and 2 were something of a return to form, and then Fighterz knocked it out the park. Having Super be a thing has also helped the game, with brand new characters added to the roster.
Long time fan of SF series and I must say, that SF5 is quite garbage, compared to the awesome SF4. Ultra Street Fighter 4 is IT for me!
But I was quite alienated by the look at first, coming from SF3 and Alpha with 2D anime, to weird buffed up characters, but it grew on me quickly (I have never played the EX series attempt on 3D fighter).
SF5 was lacking content and still, it's quite clunky and design wise, it looks like a high budget Mugen game, loading times are slow even in offline modes.

I think that FighterZ did excellent not only as adaptation of source material, looking unbelievably awesome to look at and having the Dragon Ball feel, while it is also a solid competitive and fun fighter, aproachable for both the casual and pro gamers.
Xenoverse in comparison, sucks hard with gameplay, that is clunky and faulty and it's pain to look at thanks to being just a PS3 graphics with better resolution with off models. Kakarot is nostalgia fun, that does not try to prove anything.

I still consider us fans immensely lucky, that Arc Sys stepped in or was approached, doesn't matter and made such a game. I was already fan of Guilty Gear since discovering the GGX as a bonus free game on disc of a gaming magazine and it got me hooked with designs, gameplay and rock music. What they did with Xrd and the simulation of anime look in 3D has no contest and when I play FighterZ with Kikuchi BGM playing in the background, it's like playing the series itself.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:08 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:42 am Long time fan of SF series and I must say, that SF5 is quite garbage, compared to the awesome SF4. Ultra Street Fighter 4 is IT for me!
But I was quite alienated by the look at first, coming from SF3 and Alpha with 2D anime, to weird buffed up characters, but it grew on me quickly (I have never played the EX series attempt on 3D fighter).
SF5 was lacking content and still, it's quite clunky and design wise, it looks like a high budget Mugen game, loading times are slow even in offline modes.

I think that FighterZ did excellent not only as adaptation of source material, looking unbelievably awesome to look at and having the Dragon Ball feel, while it is also a solid competitive and fun fighter, aproachable for both the casual and pro gamers.
Xenoverse in comparison, sucks hard with gameplay, that is clunky and faulty and it's pain to look at thanks to being just a PS3 graphics with better resolution with off models. Kakarot is nostalgia fun, that does not try to prove anything.

I still consider us fans immensely lucky, that Arc Sys stepped in or was approached, doesn't matter and made such a game. I was already fan of Guilty Gear since discovering the GGX as a bonus free game on disc of a gaming magazine and it got me hooked with designs, gameplay and rock music. What they did with Xrd and the simulation of anime look in 3D has no contest and when I play FighterZ with Kikuchi BGM playing in the background, it's like playing the series itself.
Agree with all of this. Personally 3rd Strike is my favourite game in the series, but SF4 was awesome too. I was initially excited for SF5 because of it moving forward in the timeline, and Ryu looking closer to his older SF3 self with his Denjin Hadoken, Donkey kick, and target combo. Unfortunately the gameplay ended up being dumbed down, and the new character designs were largely forgettable.

I called Xenoverse a return to form mainly because it came after games like Ultimate Tenkaichi, Battle of Z, and DBZ for Kinect. After that almost anything would have been a breath of fresh air.

FighterZ is a different beast altogether, and deserves a fully fledged sequel.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:32 am

Yeah, feel the same.

I would definitely love a FighterZ sequel, but based on the GG and Blaz Blue trend, I have honestly no idea how they can push the FighterZ further besides putting in even more characters to make the experimenting and setting up tag teams a crazy and time consuming ordeal, together with constant updates plus a new story, that I didn't care for much except for the intro and ending parts and getting the items that are usable in raids. We'll see, the numbers are good for soldifying the sequel, but also, many things can be added through updates or DLC and at the same time, it is not a guarantee of anything really.

Let's see, I think that if a sequel is coming, it will be made for PS5 and is at least two years away. Let's put our bets.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:07 am

Apparently there are free dlc characters until the 16th of December.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:17 am

sangofe wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:07 am Apparently there are free dlc characters until the 16th of December.
Can you expand upon this? I saw some are 50% off, but that's about it.