"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:36 am

ok .. now that toppo god is in xenoverse my theory is reinforced that he will be in fighterz in the next season ... another super character maybe caulifla for the requests
from GT
Pan and omega shenron
from Z
Raditz or Dabura

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:51 am

Tai Lung wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:36 am ok .. now that toppo god is in xenoverse my theory is reinforced that he will be in fighterz in the next season ... another super character maybe caulifla for the requests
from GT
Pan and omega shenron
from Z
Raditz or Dabura
Nothing is reinforced, different game developers, different decision making. Also Xenoverse isn't picky when it comes to DLC additions.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:07 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:51 am
Tai Lung wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:36 am ok .. now that toppo god is in xenoverse my theory is reinforced that he will be in fighterz in the next season ... another super character maybe caulifla for the requests
from GT
Pan and omega shenron
from Z
Raditz or Dabura
Nothing is reinforced, different game developers, different decision making. Also Xenoverse isn't picky when it comes to DLC additions.
They are not so different and they have shared decisions more than once because they surely have someone who is in charge of finding out which are the most popular requests

baby vegeta 2, kefla, jiren, goku ui, android 17 (super) are many of the characters they have in common ...
And it seems too much of a coincidence that toppo was chosen taking into account that it was one of the most popular requests

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:39 pm

I wonder how they're gonna differentiate SS4 Gogeta from his blue counterpart. SSGSS Gogeta already borrows many moves from his GT doppelganger, namely the Big Bang Kamehameha and his fierce normal animation (elbow into roundhouse kick, which he used on Omega Shenron). SS4 Gogeta doesn't have that much else going for him considering his short screentime, unless he has some other moves in Heroes or wherever that make up for it, I wouldn't know. My guess is that he's going to be a total clown like Gotenks. He's 100% gonna have the confetti Big Bang Kamehameha.

It makes me laugh to think about how many Gokus and Vegetas are on the roster now, not that I have a problem with that. I don't mind variations of the same characters so long as they bring something new to the table, which most of them do.
Gokus: SS Goku, SSGSS Goku, Saiyan Arc Goku, Goku Black, Vegetto, SSGSS Gogeta, UI Goku, GT Goku, SS4 Gogeta
Partial Gokus and Goku-Spawn: Bardock (identical father, voiced by Nozawa), Fused Zamasu (half Goku Black), SS2 Gohan, Ultimate Gohan, Gotenks, Cell
Vegetas: SS Vegeta, SSGSS Vegeta, Saiyan Arc Vegeta, Vegetto, SSGSS Gogeta, SS4 Gogeta, Baby Vegeta

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:31 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:39 pm I wonder how they're gonna differentiate SS4 Gogeta from his blue counterpart. SSGSS Gogeta already borrows many moves from his GT doppelganger, namely the Big Bang Kamehameha and his fierce normal animation (elbow into roundhouse kick, which he used on Omega Shenron). SS4 Gogeta doesn't have that much else going for him considering his short screentime, unless he has some other moves in Heroes or wherever that make up for it, I wouldn't know. My guess is that he's going to be a total clown like Gotenks. He's 100% gonna have the confetti Big Bang Kamehameha.

It makes me laugh to think about how many Gokus and Vegetas are on the roster now, not that I have a problem with that. I don't mind variations of the same characters so long as they bring something new to the table, which most of them do.
Gokus: SS Goku, SSGSS Goku, Saiyan Arc Goku, Goku Black, Vegetto, SSGSS Gogeta, UI Goku, GT Goku, SS4 Gogeta
Partial Gokus and Goku-Spawn: Bardock (identical father, voiced by Nozawa), Fused Zamasu (half Goku Black), SS2 Gohan, Ultimate Gohan, Gotenks, Cell
Vegetas: SS Vegeta, SSGSS Vegeta, Saiyan Arc Vegeta, Vegetto, SSGSS Gogeta, SS4 Gogeta, Baby Vegeta
Eh, I don't know. It's too much of a stretch to consider Goku Black, Fused Zamasu, and Cell as variations of Goku.

Even for someone who knows absolutely nothing about Dragon Ball, it's not exactly a secret that Black isn't Goku. Same thing for Cell.

But there are definitely too many variations of Goku and Vegeta. Not surprising though. Both characters are average and boring, but they are the most popular in the franchise, so it just makes sense to give them a shit ton of forms.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:22 pm

Goku is the star of the show.. it’s only natural that he has the most to offer from a character variation perspective. Even with Vegeta being his top rival with similar abilities it’s obvious that he’d be runner up. Why is that so hard to understand?

Would some you really rather have Kiwi & Katopesla be playable over Baby Vegeta & Vegeta Blue, just for the sake of “Variety” when they have next to nothing to offer?
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:26 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:31 pm
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:39 pm I wonder how they're gonna differentiate SS4 Gogeta from his blue counterpart. SSGSS Gogeta already borrows many moves from his GT doppelganger, namely the Big Bang Kamehameha and his fierce normal animation (elbow into roundhouse kick, which he used on Omega Shenron). SS4 Gogeta doesn't have that much else going for him considering his short screentime, unless he has some other moves in Heroes or wherever that make up for it, I wouldn't know. My guess is that he's going to be a total clown like Gotenks. He's 100% gonna have the confetti Big Bang Kamehameha.

Eh, I don't know. It's too much of a stretch to consider Goku Black, Fused Zamasu, and Cell as variations of Goku.

Even for someone who knows absolutely nothing about Dragon Ball, it's not exactly a secret that Black isn't Goku. Same thing for Cell.

But there are definitely too many variations of Goku and Vegeta. Not surprising though. Both characters are average and boring, but they are the most popular in the franchise, so it just makes sense to give them a shit ton of forms.
I was stretching it with Cell, but he does have a tiny sliver of Goku in him so he barely counts as a Goku-spawn. Goku Black counts simply for having 'Goku' in his name and possessing his body, same deal with Baby. A disappointing number of players know jack about Dragon Ball, they see Goku Black, Bardock, Gohan, anyone who even looks vaguely like Goku as just another clone of him. While I understand the criticism that there are too many similar looking characters, it's A) not ArcSys's fault for being accurate to the source material, and B) you wouldn't criticise a UFC fighting game for the same reason. What a joke.

Goku and Vegeta make sense simply because they have the most forms and techniques in the franchise. UI Goku plays nothing like GT Goku so it's good with me. The only ones that I feel were a bit extraneous were Base Goku and Vegeta, I don't mind them in concept but they definitely weren't worth the price of being DLC when 90% of their movesets were reused animations. They didn't even have their classic Saiyan arc battle stances!

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:56 pm

How many DLC characters does Xenoverse have? If FighterZ released another character, there's a 100% chance it's also in Xenoverse.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:40 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:26 pm
I might just miss the intro poses for these two, but overall, the game really does trace them a lot from the source material and it is marvelous https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ju_-aGx4I8
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisteryOne » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:49 am

I have seen people theorize that he may just borrow moves from SS4 Goku and Vegeta, which could be interesting I guess. I'm more curious to see if they will place him in the missing center space, as that could potentially tell us if there will be another season or not -trough to be honest, seeing how the roster is divided in allies/villains it would be extremely odd to see Gogeta of all people in that slot.
English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:07 am

MisteryOne wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:49 am

I have seen people theorize that he may just borrow moves from SS4 Goku and Vegeta, which could be interesting I guess. I'm more curious to see if they will place him in the missing center space, as that could potentially tell us if there will be another season or not -trough to be honest, seeing how the roster is divided in allies/villains it would be extremely odd to see Gogeta of all people in that slot.
I think they're completely revamping the roster screen after Gogeta comes out so that they'll all be rearranged into rows based on their order of release. It might provide room for him and one more cheeky DLC pack, we'll see.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:56 pm

That is one of the simple things modern fighting games should do as dlc is released. You should be given a few ways to organize the character select screen. FighterZ is pretty bad but xenoverse takes the cake. Its character select screen is the most mismatched select screen in gaming mainly bc their dlc characters are pretty random.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:24 pm

It will be interesting to see how Gogeta SS4 reacts to Super characters.
For starters, he'll surely react to the other Gogeta: either they'll have the usual "let's see what fusion/form is stronger" generic lines, or they'll have a more interesting "what is this form?" dialogue, clearly showing that both versions are incompatible and that Gogeta Blue never happened in Gogeta SS4's storyline. They could also wonder about the possibility of more time travel problems.

Other instances of this Super-GT separation could be seen with Super characters like Kafla, Zamasu or Beerus: both Vegetto Blue and Gogeta Blue react to them, so it will be interesting to see if for Gogeta SS4, the devs go for "let's consider this Gogeta still knows them and met them in the past" or if they go for "let's consider this Gogeta never saw them before and meets them for the first time".

I guess with him, we have pretty much all the possible fusions that happened in the various full-fledged series: Gotenks, Vegetto, Gogeta from DBZ and GT, Gogeta from DBS, Kafla and Zamasu, and all of them having the fusion process shown in their intros with their own unique flavour!

But what could be Gogeta SS4's secondary colours? Giving him current Gogeta's colours would be too little of a difference, so he'll probably have his Xeno colours (black pants) similarly to Gotenks.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:18 pm

We don't have many versions of Goku to have left and we get a Goku theme character in every pass. I guess they could do Tullece next in Season 4.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:33 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:24 pm Other instances of this Super-GT separation could be seen with Super characters like Kafla, Zamasu or Beerus: both Vegetto Blue and Gogeta Blue react to them, so it will be interesting to see if for Gogeta SS4, the devs go for "let's consider this Gogeta still knows them and met them in the past" or if they go for "let's consider this Gogeta never saw them before and meets them for the first time".
I liked how in Xenoverse they made GT Goku recognize Beerus. I think there were more interactions like this.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:19 am

Third anniversary of FighterZ release!!

Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:21 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:19 am Third anniversary of FighterZ release!!

Happy third birthday to the game I've probably played more of in the past three years than any other game combined.

I think the original Jump Festa trailer from 2017 might be the high point of the game's hype for me. Such a love letter to the series. Plus it introduced my favourite character and longest-running main, Hit.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:45 am

sunsetshimmer wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:33 pm
Cold Skin wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:24 pm Other instances of this Super-GT separation could be seen with Super characters like Kafla, Zamasu or Beerus: both Vegetto Blue and Gogeta Blue react to them, so it will be interesting to see if for Gogeta SS4, the devs go for "let's consider this Gogeta still knows them and met them in the past" or if they go for "let's consider this Gogeta never saw them before and meets them for the first time".
I liked how in Xenoverse they made GT Goku recognize Beerus. I think there were more interactions like this.
It's interesting that for a while game developers were making an effort to portray GT and Super as having happened in the same continuity out of respect for GT, though that's long been abandoned by now.

There's some confusing stuff in FighterZ, like how Saiyan Arc Goku somehow knows Beerus.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:38 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:19 am Third anniversary of FighterZ release!!

My second favorite Dragon Ball game. Easily the most beautiful one.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:12 am

I don't know why people want Caulifla when you already have Kefla? It would be like adding Goten when we already have Gotenks.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/