"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LightBing
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by LightBing » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:41 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:17 am Is it worth mentioning that we just got done with a season 3 with arguably the highest quality lineup of characters released yet, and the weak link was Kefla? Everyone in that season was really well made, with bigger and more technical movesets and yet compared to everyone else, she was just an above-average rushdown fighter.

Meanwhile, the best character of the lot was...Goku with silver hair. The one with the coolest combo routes was...Vegeta but possessed. The walking boss character who seems like he was tailor-made to break the game's meta over his knee was...Gogeta but monke. And then you have Roshi off doing his own thing, being cool but unorthodox. From an actual design perspective, these characters are worlds away from the base/season one roster when everyone felt samey outside of a few exceptions.
Definitely worth mentioning. It's not just this Season, all of them saw a bigger variety and creativity for most characters.

Base game felt safe. With the success it has I hope they keep on track in a sequel. They seem to have listened to some criticisms(expanding the assist system) from the fans, so there's a lot to look forward.

Personally I hope for a big overhaul on the Super dash mechanic: fix the tracking first and foremost, make it different for most of the cast. Different start ups and properties, etc... Just this change would make for a completely different game.

Rollback should be on the menu as well.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:09 am

LightBing wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:41 pm
Kataphrut wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:17 am Is it worth mentioning that we just got done with a season 3 with arguably the highest quality lineup of characters released yet, and the weak link was Kefla? Everyone in that season was really well made, with bigger and more technical movesets and yet compared to everyone else, she was just an above-average rushdown fighter.

Meanwhile, the best character of the lot was...Goku with silver hair. The one with the coolest combo routes was...Vegeta but possessed. The walking boss character who seems like he was tailor-made to break the game's meta over his knee was...Gogeta but monke. And then you have Roshi off doing his own thing, being cool but unorthodox. From an actual design perspective, these characters are worlds away from the base/season one roster when everyone felt samey outside of a few exceptions.
Definitely worth mentioning. It's not just this Season, all of them saw a bigger variety and creativity for most characters.

Base game felt safe. With the success it has I hope they keep on track in a sequel. They seem to have listened to some criticisms(expanding the assist system) from the fans, so there's a lot to look forward.

Personally I hope for a big overhaul on the Super dash mechanic: fix the tracking first and foremost, make it different for most of the cast. Different start ups and properties, etc... Just this change would make for a completely different game.

Rollback should be on the menu as well.
I think rollback should be the number one priority, and with the way buzz has been around it, I feel like there's no way they're not going to do it for if the game gets a sequel.

As for super-dash, I'm mixed. I don't hate it as a mechanic, but I think it needs work. I'm not sure I like the idea of making it different among the cast though. For a universal mechanic, it should be standardised, since otherwise you'll get into a weird haves vs have-nots situation where some characters will fall off for not being able to superdash as well as others. I mean we already have people rating characters based on how toxic their autocombos are, do we really want to see a 'fast superdash' meta?

I think the best thing to do would be to just give everyone the tracking properties of Roshi's reverse kamehameha - one direction, straight line, no cursed pseudo-crossups.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:31 am

I just want a silly story with the DLC characters involved in the sequel. There's lots of potential for interaction between them, so it was a shame they never expanded that mode with some new extra chapters.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:52 pm

I feel like they can do a story mode sequel as DLC similar to how XV2 and MK11 did.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Nosferatu93
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nosferatu93 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:16 pm

Nice server this game has. Worst online ever. Unplayable
Hellsing

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun May 09, 2021 4:51 pm

Nosferatu93 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:16 pm Nice server this game has. Worst online ever. Unplayable
Still better than MK11... as the whole game progress is hooked online, going through difficult tower and the server falling like 3 times a day and in the middle of it, sweet. And also Krypt is hooked online, so when this happens, you can just play local for fun and not getting any experience and points.

FighterZ is still better, sans for crappy connections and framerates and haven't played it since SSJ4 Gogeta came out and everything went crazy, well, never mind... Mortal Kombat is still miles better :lol:

I am missing the last trophy to get platinum, the one with 530 000 BP. I am at 400 000 and can't proceed further. Somehow, I struggle with this TAG fighter as opposed to single character like SF, MK or GG. Never learned how to exploit those cheap one-sided beatdowns, which are definitely about skill, but once you are in the air, you're dead.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Nosferatu93
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nosferatu93 » Sun May 09, 2021 5:00 pm

Its an awful fighting game, if it hadnt dragonball skin no one would play it.
Hellsing

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun May 09, 2021 5:06 pm

Nosferatu93 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:00 pm Its an awful fighting game, if it hadnt dragonball skin no one would play it.
Are you saying this comment with regard to FighterZ? Because that's demonstrably untrue considering the mass amounts of people who flocked to and played the game, particularly competitively, completely independent of any prior fandom or knowledge of the series.

This just strikes me as a comment from someone who doesn't like or understand the game, and wants to dismiss it outright without having a legitimate conversation.

You can just be all good on your own over on the side not liking something while simultaneously not spouting factually incorrect nonsense.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Nosferatu93
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nosferatu93 » Mon May 10, 2021 11:28 am

Its just not good as s fighting game😅. Its only popular because of the Dragonball brand on it.
Hellsing

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon May 10, 2021 1:40 pm

Should Mike repeat his comment as well?

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon May 10, 2021 6:19 pm

Nosferatu93 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:28 am Its just not good as s fighting game😅. Its only popular because of the Dragonball brand on it.
If we use depth and complexity as quality measurement then sure, FighterZ is not a 10/10 fighting game. On its own is an 8/10 fighting game, which is not as good as an 10/10 game but is still on the good spectrum no matter how you slice it.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Nosferatu93
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nosferatu93 » Mon May 10, 2021 6:34 pm

Almost every character plays the same end of debate. Its s casual fighting game for casuals. Within 4-5 hours you know everything you need to know. :clap: Yes awesome :crazy:
Hellsing

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon May 10, 2021 7:34 pm

You are either doubling-down to troll (I’d give about a D+ here), or Dunning-Kruger is in high gear, go to jail, go directly to jail, do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

Is this a cry for help? If you need better resources, just ask. We’d be happy to provide a nice foundation for you. Lots of genuinely knowledgeable people here!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue May 11, 2021 12:10 pm

It is a really good game actually and entertaining one.

Sure, it is no Mortal Kombat, or Street Fighter or even Guilty Gear from fundamental standpoint, as they are one on one and this is tag team, but it is fun to play nonetheless.
What I struggle here with is my personal gripes with online play and disability to get to the Tag style gameplay deep enough and exploit some mechanics and it was more fun before online, but still, it is well made game.
Besides the bad netcode and for me, unnecesary huge roster just from the gameplay standpoint (as I simply don’t have so much time to research all possible team variants and learn how to play them at the same time).

If we talk generally, Xenoverse is crap game actually... weird hit boxes, unresponsive and convoluted combo mechanics, the focus on CAC which is even more unballanced for competitive gameplay than the standard roster (Saibaimen is just a fodder for story and missions so the versus mode is more of an afterthought).

FighterZ doesn’t have any of these pains.
Everyone has the same cards given and it is easily accesible for casuals, same as pro players. During the years the game is live, I haven’t noticed any BS besides the netcode and frame delay even with fast connection.
It is the best Dragon Ball game I have played since SNES and a solid one, that can rival SF or Guilty Gear and the franchise stamp actually helps with playerbase, as try to play Guilty Gear or Gundam Versus few months after release, it is completely dead.

With FighterZ, I remember online was more fun before, as the gameplay is actually technical and when you nail it, you can overcome more trigger happy opponents and can strategize in combination with fast pace.
But after some hiatus, I have noticed that players are learning these neverending combos as they are connecting moves (which is easier said than done) and I am really behind, which makes online punishing and unplayable for me on higher ranks.
But that is not the fault of the game and legit thing.

Only negative thing besides netcode is that my friend, who is pro player of Tekken and long time DB fan, was complaining about slight delay between pressing the buttons and what happens on screen. I have no idea if that is true, but he is really pissed at me for persuading him to buy the game, even tho we are both DB fans and friends since childhood :D But that is his problem and not an argument.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue May 11, 2021 4:34 pm

Nosferatu93 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:34 pm Within 4-5 hours you know everything you need to know.
You must be a fighting game god.

Nosferatu93
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nosferatu93 » Tue May 11, 2021 8:38 pm

Not at all average at best. I mean i had fairly fun with the game for hundreds of hours but its cheesy and at a certain level the fights are no more fun. As 1 mistake will cost you 1 character. :-) Hope it gets updated with a revision 2 like guilty gear.
Hellsing

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed May 12, 2021 6:50 am

Nosferatu93 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:38 pm Not at all average at best. I mean i had fairly fun with the game for hundreds of hours but its cheesy and at a certain level the fights are no more fun. As 1 mistake will cost you 1 character. :-) Hope it gets updated with a revision 2 like guilty gear.
I must say, that what I don't like about FighterZ is, that one mistake in defense and if your opponent can exploit neverending combo with juggles and follow-ups, you are one character down. And when I thought that calling in Tag assist will help, it doesn't as there is no window to use your block and have a chance. Unless the opponent screws up.

Sadly, I have no experience with other tag games like Marvel VS Capcom, or Blazblue, but either I didn't get the game after years of playing or this is just a flaw, as pretty much defense doesn't work much here.
In MK for example, you can't block indefinitely and you can do juggles, but it is fair and if you know how to play, you can get out of various situations.

It's actually interesting, that pro players of FighterZ play completely different than the ''casuals'' like myself on my level that I meet online.
Also, to put another negative in, I don't really like Gogeta SSJ4 - somehow, he is no fun to me to play as and the weakest character in DLC for me in ratings of fun next to Videl and even Videl I enjoy a lot more.

But still, FighterZ is solid in my opinion. Also, it achieved to breakthrough into Fighting Games genre players, who were laughing at DB fans, who insisted in a fanboy resistance, that Budokai 3 can be competitive.
I still kinda don't understand, how it became so popular on the scene among the other fighting game titans and sure, Dragon Ball brand is huge part of that as well, but that's not it, as the other games are actually and frankly kinda crap and you don't hear anyone else talking about them.

I think that we shall really enjoy FighterZ for what it is, because I am afraid that such success on so many fronts won't be replicated in future with Dragon Ball.

@Nosferatu93 I really hope, that they might do a revision like other fighter games do and focus on online.
Other people are calling for sequel, but in terms of pure fighting game with tag mechanics, sequel ala XV2 or RPG doesn't really make sense, as they might clutter the roster with some B and C obscure characters and what they can really do?
I can see them adding 3 characters, focus on gameplay, enhance some aspects and rework online with some more tournament modes.
Like why didn't they make Tenkaichi Budokai for online? Or tag teams, 3 vs 3 players simmilar to the event when they introduce new DLC character and you take them down in a series of battles, each character controlled by one player.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu May 13, 2021 2:30 pm

From the looks of it, they are probably done with DLC. It won't surprise me if we see a sequel for the PS5 and Xbox Series X soon.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu May 13, 2021 6:55 pm

Nosferatu93 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:00 pm Its an awful fighting game, if it hadnt dragonball skin no one would play it.
Yet it's one of the most played fighting games to date alongside SFV and Tekken 7.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri May 14, 2021 2:39 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:30 pm From the looks of it, they are probably done with DLC. It won't surprise me if we see a sequel for the PS5 and Xbox Series X soon.
Meh. I'd assume a more direct port of THIS game that has all the DLC bundled in with enhanced graphics & up to 120FPS support on the new consoles. Maybe it'll be a free upgrade for people who already own it, but who knows?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs