"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by omegalucas » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:37 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: My only complaint so far is how they gave a random color outfit to Goku as second option:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
It's okay for Buu, but for characters like Goku/Vegeta/Gohan they have other official outfits they can choose as alternative costume, instead of applying a random color scheme to the same outfit.
I think that's his fourth outfit. We never got to see 2 and 3. I'm hoping for at least manga colors there for the characters that have differences between those and the anime colors (at least Goku [sorta], Gohan and Cell).
Anyway, my only gripe is the wrongly placed symbol. It's really strange they animated Goku mainly for a 2nd player point of view (the hair and symbol are reversed when he is on the left/1st player). Easily avoidable if they just had his main outfit from Z (basically this one without the symbol) instead of his BoG/Super's. So, we can forget Kahseral :lol:
Last edited by omegalucas on Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Quebaz » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:40 pm

ArcSys' method of developing characters is so ridiculous that the resources of making a full alternate costumes may as well be spent on making a full character, it's the hole they got themselves into. Expect a shit ton of alternate colors full of references to characters not present on the roster and stuff like that though.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

sophitia
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sophitia » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:42 pm

Making alt skin/costume for these games equals making a whole new character. That's why the didn't do it for GG Xrd characters (expect for Elphet).

All the gameplay shown so far is awesome. Day 1 for sure.

TheNamekGio
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheNamekGio » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:49 pm

I haven't posted on here for a while, but seeing the reveal trailer for this game has taken me out of slumber. The Last Dragon Ball game that I've played was super Dragon Ball Z for PS2. Finally a competitive Fighter by the makers of Guilty Gear.... our prayers have been answered!!!
I'm a DB veteran thats paid my DB dues!!

THEGOKU
Regular

Post by THEGOKU » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:12 pm

Ssj Rose Black would be phenomenal in this game just from the fighting style to the moves and hell his intro would even be amazing. I'm all for this game. And from what it seems like the transformations last throughout the fight which is awesome. I think this team knows exactly what they are doing. Dragonball never died, it was just sleeping waiting for the right time to shine again.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:28 pm

Oh my GOD GUYS! I am so pumped for this game. The graphics look GORGEOUS and the gameplay looks fast and exciting. I can not wait to get my hands on this game. I hope that we'll get human characters like Tenshinhan and Yamcha. I'd also like to see some classic Dragon Ball characters like King Piccolo and Young Goku. I'm going to keep a close eye on this game. I never knew I wanted something like this until I saw it. I LOVE being taken by surprise like that. We're so lucky to have so many great Dragon Ball games. This looks like a great return to the classic 2D style fighting that Dragon Ball games rarely go back to these days. I'm going to have to brush up on my fighting game skills because I want to compete with some of you guys. Who all is getting it on Steam? I have a PS4 but Steam is just so convenient since I'm on the computer more than I am near the TV. I'm also so happy that Dragon Ball games are getting proper PC ports.

EA575
Regular

Post by EA575 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:35 pm

Quebaz wrote:Mechanics breakdown based on the gameplay footage we've gotten.
-
Wow, this is a very good breakdown of the gameplay mechanics! I didn't realize how fighting the next character was KoF-like.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:41 pm

Quebaz wrote:ArcSys' method of developing characters is so ridiculous that the resources of making a full alternate costumes may as well be spent on making a full character, it's the hole they got themselves into. Expect a shit ton of alternate colors full of references to characters not present on the roster and stuff like that though.
If that's the price we have to pay for such awesome looking characters then that's fine with me.

Still wish his gi didn't have any kanji on it though. Especially since it gets mirrored.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:16 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
cringey wrote:Day one for that casual blood, if they show up.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Some people are actually having problems with it being a competitive fighter?

...How the fuck is that even a bad thing??

The last Dragon Ball game that was close to being competitive was Super Dragon Ball Z... and that came out over 10 fucking years ago. Good lord this fan base sometimes. So hard to please.
Lord Beerus wrote:
Bansho64 wrote:Honestly, I think a lot of people are right in saying that people from a different crowd are mainly the ones making blanket statements about this game. For me, I see this a game mainly being marketed toward the Budokai, Burst Limit, and Super DBZ players. Not the Tenkaichi or Raging Blast ones.
I honestly think people got way too used to that one format of games for too long, that and yes mainly casual players who had the majority vote for a long time (as Namco was very reluctant to even touch 2D angles again due to them and the cultural shift from BT3's popularity). People seem to either be uninformed (as Raging blast 3 isn't going to happen, regardless of that Facebook project suggestion) and that people just got too intoxicated on having a large roster due to BT3, thats all they expect now to be a priority or else. That, and the people who have a camera prejudice just because you can't freely-fly to their simulator experience in a sandbox as opposed to direct combat.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:14 pm

Amazing graphics! :o Gameplay looks good as well. I hope it covers at least up to the Future Trunks arc of Super.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:46 pm

Wait a minute.

If DBF is featured at EVO 2018

does that make it

Dragon Ball Evolution?

:(

Also, I am very pleased with the gameplay we've seen so far. If you have Amazon Prime, you can preorder the game for $50 (down from $60).

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:42 pm

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:45 pm

The gameplay looks amazing, the graphics are also so good!

This confirms Golden Freeza as a transformation and SS3 Goku as an Ultimate (unless he shows up in another way, like alternate Ultimates).

The lack of any modifier for Gohan makes me suspect SS2 Gohan is the only version of Gohan we will get in the game - if it means we only have 1 version of every character in the game, that's fine. I'd prefer Ultimate Gohan but understand SS2 Gohan is a smarter move marketing wise. The fact that ArcSys apparently don't do alternate costumes has me a bit worried we might have character slots eating up by SSB Goku/Vegeta and maybe even SSG Goku - like Extreme Butoden's weird roster choices.

What is it about their process that makes alternate costumes akin to making an entire character? How is this different to other fighters?
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:41 am

shadd21 wrote:Shame that out of this 24 character roster, 3 of the character slots will be reserved for SSG Goku SSB Goku and SSB Vegeta
Where do you got the number 24 characters from?

Rinsankajugin
Regular

Post by Rinsankajugin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:39 am

Alright y'all, Dragon Ball FighterZ looks fucking amazing, but remember, this game is ASW's 4th foray into Dragon Ball. If you want to know who might make it into this game's roster, y'all should probably remember the rosters of their previous DB-related games...

Supersonic Warriors
[spoiler]
  • Goku (Base, Kaioken)
    SSJ Goku
    SSJ2 Teen Gohan
    Ultimate Gohan
    Piccolo
    Kamiccolo (Base, w/ Kami)
    True Piccolo (Base, w/ Demon King Piccolo)
    Krillin
    Kaioken Krillin (Base, Kaioken)
    Vegeta
    SSJ Vegeta
    Majin Vegeta
    SSJ Future Trunks
    Ginyu
    Frieza
    Mecha Frieza
    Dr. Gero
    Perfect Cell
    Majin Buu
    Super Buu
    SSJ3 Gotenks
[/spoiler]

Supersonic Warriors 2 (not including assists)
[spoiler]
  • Goku (Base, Kaioken)
    SSJ Goku (SSJ, SSJ3)
    Vegeta
    SSJ Vegeta
    Majin Vegeta
    Teen Gohan (Base, SSJ)
    SSJ2 Teen Gohan
    Gohan (Base, SSJ, Ultimate)
    Piccolo
    Krillin (Base, Unlock Potential)
    Future Trunks
    SSJ Future Trunks (SSJ, Ultra SSJ)
    Ginyu (Base, Goku)
    Frieza (Final Form, Full Power)
    Mecha Frieza
    Dr. Gero
    Semi-Perfect Cell
    Perfect Cell
    Gotenks (Base, SSJ)
    SSJ3 Gotenks
    Majin Buu
    Super Buu
    Cooler (Final Form, Further Form)
    Meta-Cooler
    Broly
[/spoiler]

Extreme Butoden (not including assists)
[spoiler]
  • Goku (Base, Kaioken)
    SSJ Goku (SSJ, SSJ3)
    SSJG Goku (SSJG, Godly SSJ)
    SSJB Goku
    Teen Gohan
    SSJ2 Teen Gohan
    SSJ Gohan
    Ultimate Gohan
    Vegeta
    SSJ Vegeta
    SSJ Future Trunks
    Piccolo
    Krillin
    Raditz
    Nappa
    Ginyu
    Frieza
    Perfect Cell
    Majin Buu
    Kid Buu
    SSJ Gotenks (SSJ, SSJ3)
    Beerus
    Bardock (Base, SSJ)
    Broly
[/spoiler]

Surely what-if forms like Kaioken Krillin probably wont make it, but there's a good chance a majority of the characters listed above who have been in all 3 previous games will make it into DBFZ. Out of all of their DB games so-far, 15 characters in specific have been playable:
  • Goku
  • SSJ Goku (Confirmed)
  • SSJ2 Teen Gohan (Confirmed)
  • Ultimate Gohan
  • Vegeta
  • SSJ Vegeta (Confirmed)
  • SSJ Future Trunks
  • Piccolo
  • Krillin
  • Ginyu
  • Frieza (Confirmed)
  • Perfect Cell (Confirmed)
  • Majin Buu (Confirmed)
  • Gotenks
Expect these characters in particular to appear.

cringey

Post by cringey » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:46 am

Ikazvyr wrote:It IS a transformation. You can transform in the middle of the battle and play as Golden Freeza as long the transformation goes. He will return to his final form after a while, like saiyans in the first Xenoverse
I didn't say that it wasn't a transformation, but that the transformation could be his ultimate which makes him unique, maybe it gives him some extra tools while he's using it.

I don't think that everyone will have the ability to transform in the middle of the battle.
Saiga wrote:What is it about their process that makes alternate costumes akin to making an entire character? How is this different to other fighters?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhGjCzxJV3E

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:17 am

cringey wrote:
Saiga wrote:What is it about their process that makes alternate costumes akin to making an entire character? How is this different to other fighters?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhGjCzxJV3E
For a TL;DW version:

In games like Xenoverse and whatnot, the lighting is dynamic to reflect the environment and the fact you move around it in 3D space. You can place any model in there and they'll be lit appropriately. However, the downside is that it'll look like a lit 3D model, rather than retaining any true anime aesthetic.

What makes Arc System Works' method so interesting is that they manually apply every single character's lighting and shading, which allows them to create that 2D look so well. Because it's a fixed perspective, and any deviations away from it are controlled, they can get away with this trickery.

This means that there's a huge amount of manual effort involved for each individual character. You can't just swap out costumes because the highlights and shadows aren't truly determined by physical lights in the scene - nothing's generated. If you change anything shape-wise, you have to manually redo all of the lighting again for that outfit, which is essentially like doing a whole new character. Changing the colours of textures doesn't affect this, which is why they've gone that route.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:21 am

Rinsankajugin wrote:Alright y'all, Dragon Ball FighterZ looks fucking amazing, but remember, this game is ASW's 4th foray into Dragon Ball. If you want to know who might make it into this game's roster, y'all should probably remember the rosters of their previous DB-related games...

Supersonic Warriors
[spoiler]
  • Goku (Base, Kaioken)
    SSJ Goku
    SSJ2 Teen Gohan
    Ultimate Gohan
    Piccolo
    Kamiccolo (Base, w/ Kami)
    True Piccolo (Base, w/ Demon King Piccolo)
    Krillin
    Kaioken Krillin (Base, Kaioken)
    Vegeta
    SSJ Vegeta
    Majin Vegeta
    SSJ Future Trunks
    Ginyu
    Frieza
    Mecha Frieza
    Dr. Gero
    Perfect Cell
    Majin Buu
    Super Buu
    SSJ3 Gotenks
[/spoiler]

Supersonic Warriors 2 (not including assists)
[spoiler]
  • Goku (Base, Kaioken)
    SSJ Goku (SSJ, SSJ3)
    Vegeta
    SSJ Vegeta
    Majin Vegeta
    Teen Gohan (Base, SSJ)
    SSJ2 Teen Gohan
    Gohan (Base, SSJ, Ultimate)
    Piccolo
    Krillin (Base, Unlock Potential)
    Future Trunks
    SSJ Future Trunks (SSJ, Ultra SSJ)
    Ginyu (Base, Goku)
    Frieza (Final Form, Full Power)
    Mecha Frieza
    Dr. Gero
    Semi-Perfect Cell
    Perfect Cell
    Gotenks (Base, SSJ)
    SSJ3 Gotenks
    Majin Buu
    Super Buu
    Cooler (Final Form, Further Form)
    Meta-Cooler
    Broly
[/spoiler]

Extreme Butoden (not including assists)
[spoiler]
  • Goku (Base, Kaioken)
    SSJ Goku (SSJ, SSJ3)
    SSJG Goku (SSJG, Godly SSJ)
    SSJB Goku
    Teen Gohan
    SSJ2 Teen Gohan
    SSJ Gohan
    Ultimate Gohan
    Vegeta
    SSJ Vegeta
    SSJ Future Trunks
    Piccolo
    Krillin
    Raditz
    Nappa
    Ginyu
    Frieza
    Perfect Cell
    Majin Buu
    Kid Buu
    SSJ Gotenks (SSJ, SSJ3)
    Beerus
    Bardock (Base, SSJ)
    Broly
[/spoiler]

Surely what-if forms like Kaioken Krillin probably wont make it, but there's a good chance a majority of the characters listed above who have been in all 3 previous games will make it into DBFZ. Out of all of their DB games so-far, 15 characters in specific have been playable:
  • Goku
  • SSJ Goku (Confirmed)
  • SSJ2 Teen Gohan (Confirmed)
  • Ultimate Gohan
  • Vegeta
  • SSJ Vegeta (Confirmed)
  • SSJ Future Trunks
  • Piccolo
  • Krillin
  • Ginyu
  • Frieza (Confirmed)
  • Perfect Cell (Confirmed)
  • Majin Buu (Confirmed)
  • Gotenks
Expect these characters in particular to appear.
From what i heard, they only did the artwork for those games and this is their first time actually making the game themselves. This would explain why it looks like a real fighting game this time. Even more than the Butoden games.

TL18
Beyond Newbie

Post by TL18 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:49 am

The more I read about alt colors, the more it makes me think that SSG will just be an alt where as Blue being a separate character. I only say this because, like someone said before me, SSG hasn't really had much spotlight after the movie/Arc. It was kind of a one and done thing. I don't think it's gonna get much love in this game.

but I could be wrong and they have him as a separate character and I have to eat my own words again.

Either way, I'm still getting this game regardless if SSG is or not

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:36 am

They should have all the characters based on Dragon Ball Super.

If they'd then had a Story mode that covered the first four sagas of the series, I'd probably get it.