"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Fighters" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:34 pm

I have to say that I love comment that the producer made about how they are too many 3D Dragon Ball games. I'm glad that the Xenoverse series is taking a break.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Fighters" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:41 pm

Big Black Saiyan wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I feel like we will get Super characters since Super is a hot thing at the moment. I feel like the major ones like Beerus, Golden Freeza, Hit, Zamasu and Black are very likely to show up.
Well it's not called "Dragon Ball Z Fighters" :p
Well, "Dragon Ball Raging Blast" was only Z characters.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:42 pm

Arc System?! Holy fuck guys! This has the potential to actually be the best Dragon Ball game ever made.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:45 pm

I hope the name isn't set. "Dragon Ball Fighters" sounds so uninspired.

I probably won't get this day one either but I am interested, if it's just the usual story mode of Z type of game not really sure there is much to be excited about to be honest. I don't think 2D or "2.5D" is much a selling point and I hope it isn't the only selling point of the game.

I know the title doesn't say Z but the visuals certainly do, they should have gone full Super here, we've had a plethora of Z games before and this is gonna stale pretty quick especially with what other members saying expect a small roster...

I was actually excited about this when it got announced but been thinking about it more and feeling less excited now.

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:49 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Big Black Saiyan wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I feel like we will get Super characters since Super is a hot thing at the moment. I feel like the major ones like Beerus, Golden Freeza, Hit, Zamasu and Black are very likely to show up.
Well it's not called "Dragon Ball Z Fighters" :p
Well, "Dragon Ball Raging Blast" was only Z characters.
Touche. Guess we'll wait and see. Will probably still see Super characters though. But who knows how many.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:51 pm

So going back to the old 2-D style fighters....not a bad idea and its been a long time.

Also looks like they are following MVC, you control teams of three which is cool. Put in some over the top, cinematic ultimates and we are gold.
Last edited by Lord Frieza on Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:52 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I hope the name isn't set. "Dragon Ball Fighters" sounds so uninspired.

I probably won't get this day one either but I am interested, if it's just the usual story mode of Z type of game not really sure there is much to be excited about to be honest. I don't think 2D or "2.5D" is much a selling point and I hope it isn't the only selling point of the game.

I know the title doesn't say Z but the visuals certainly do, they should have gone full Super here, we've had a plethora of Z games before and this is gonna stale pretty quick especially with what other members saying expect a small roster...

I was actually excited about this when it got announced but been thinking about it more and feeling less excited now.
The reason to be excited is the developers. If this is anything like Guilty Gear or Blazblue, It'll be one of the greatest Dragon Ball games ever made.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:53 pm

I hope a Switch version gets announced eventually.

As for Roster

Confirmed
[spoiler]1. Goku
2. Vegeta
3. Frieza
4. Cell
5. Buu
6. Gohan[/spoiler]

Likely[spoiler]1. Piccolo
2. Tien
3. Krillin
4. Beerus
5. Broly
6. Hit
7. Zamasu
8. Trunks[/spoiler]

Unlikely
[spoiler]1. Cooler
2. Yamcha
3. Hercule
4. Cabba
5. Frost
6. Saiyaman[/spoiler]

I can dream damnit
[spoiler]1. Kale
2. Auta Magetta
3. Yajirobe[/spoiler]

One thing I hope is that transformations are handled the same way as the Tenkaichi games.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:03 pm

I've been waiting for this since Super DBZ.

Xenoverse is fun, but it isn't the type of fighting game I enjoy.

This right here...is going to be amazing.

DBZ Xrd X MVC. I'm in!!
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:09 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I probably won't get this day one either but I am interested, if it's just the usual story mode of Z type of game not really sure there is much to be excited about to be honest. I don't think 2D or "2.5D" is much a selling point and I hope it isn't the only selling point of the game.
People have been wanting this type of game back since 2008. It being a traditional fighter by a developer who knows their stuff for the home consoles is enough to make people excited. At best, this means people can put hours upon hours into the gameplay and have a load of fun, participate in tournaments and finally have their dream come true, along with also having some meaty single player modes to dive deep in if we go by the developers' history. At worst we get a better Extreme Butouden, and I'd be fine with that too.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:26 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Bullza wrote:Hmm I'm surprised really. With the success of Xenoverse I was thinking they wouldn't feel the need to milk the series as much.
The success of Xenoverse allows them to do other games between Xenoverse releases instead of rushing out a new Xenoverse every year.
There was no need for either.

A proper Xenoverse sequel (not what Xenoverse 2 was as that was mostly received content) every couple years would have been more than enough considering Xenoverse 1 was the most successful game they had since Budokai 1.

They shouldn't have to feel the need to continue to milk the series by constantly releasing games that are never any good.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:28 pm

Bullza wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
Bullza wrote:Hmm I'm surprised really. With the success of Xenoverse I was thinking they wouldn't feel the need to milk the series as much.
The success of Xenoverse allows them to do other games between Xenoverse releases instead of rushing out a new Xenoverse every year.
There was no need for either.

A proper Xenoverse sequel (not what Xenoverse 2 was as that was mostly received content) every couple years would have been more than enough considering Xenoverse 1 was the most successful game they had since Budokai 1.

They shouldn't have to feel the need to continue to milk the series by constantly releasing games that are never any good.
That's not how Shueishia thinks. They demand a DB game per fiscal year, so that's what you're going to get.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:34 pm

Quebaz wrote:That's not how Shueishia thinks. They demand a DB game per fiscal year, so that's what you're going to get.
That line of thinking caused the games to receive declining sales by the game because they rush them out, it's the same mediocre project again and nobody wants to buy it if they've already got another one.

Effort was put into Xenoverse, it still wasn't very good but it outsold the past several games prior to it put together.

At that point they should have done a Xenoverse game every 2 years with real effort put into it and they'd have been much off doing it like that.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:56 pm

So it looks like this game will have few characters, but they won't be clones. That's very good to hear, mainly because I'm sick of these last games DB games being full of useless characters nobody ever uses.
About the roster, I would be incredibly happy with these characters :

[spoiler]Goku (SSJ, SSJ2, SSJ3, SSG, SSB)
Vegeta (SSJ, SSJ2, SSB)
Vegetto (SSJ, SSB)
SSJ Kid Gohan (SSJ2)
Ultimate Gohan
Future Trunks (SSJ, SSJ Rage)
Krillin
Tenshinan
Master Roshi (Buff)
Yamcha
Piccolo
Gotenks (SSJ, SSJ3)
Final Form Freezer (Golden)
Perfect Cell
Majin Buu
Super Buu (Buutenks, Buuhan)
Kid Buu
Beerus
Hit
Black (SSR)
Zamasu
Merged Zamasu
Bardock
LSSJ Broly[/spoiler]

About the transformations, I would like for them to be in-game though I wouldn't care if they were just alternate costumes. I also hope this game will be full of alternate costumes (for example I want to see RoF Gi Goku and Vegeta if they will include their Blue form, a Majin Vegete alternate costume etc... With many alternate costumes it would feel like this game has more characters)
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

MathSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by MathSSJ » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:16 pm

Holy shit, my body wasn't ready for this announcement!

I've wanted something like this in my life for years, and it's finally happening! Please don't, fuck it up Ark Sys, that's all I ask for.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:37 pm

Xenoverse is not my kind of DB game, so I have my arms open for this.
Kinda worried about the character roster though. I hope we have some DBS characters.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:41 pm

I'm at work and cant currently check so excuse my ignorance but is this Japan only currently or will we get a western version?
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:54 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:I'm at work and cant currently check so excuse my ignorance but is this Japan only currently or will we get a western version?
Press release says a worldwide release.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:31 pm

emperior wrote:The art style looks gorgeous. I really hope this game will be good, as XV2 kinda deluded me. I want this game to have fast, skill-based competitive gameplay without bullshit. Crossing my fingers that this game will surpass Burst Limit in both graphics and gameplay (it definitely should).
Yes. Judging from the screencap, the character models also FINALLY look more anime accurate, which most of the post-Tenkaichi 3 games failed to do. Especially XV. Its not likely, but I cross my fingers the combat is as fluid as something like Burst limit with a mix of Super Sonic Warriors 1 for the flight. Thats my dream, DBZ fighter.
Lord Beerus wrote:I have to say that I love comment that the producer made about how they are too many 3D Dragon Ball games. I'm glad that the Xenoverse series is taking a break.
I like that acknowledgement as well, because as a Budokai fan, I didn't pick up DBZ games since BT3 feeling that they all looked the same. So I'm liking this one felt the series was overdue for a break from the overstayed gimmicky, 3D games. Its time we had some variety and that we FINALLY get the demand for a 2.5D game for next gen out there.
Last edited by SingleFringe&Sparks on Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MegaBossMan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:35 pm

As someone who hasn't exactly been invigorated by the Xenoverse series or its premise of making your own Dragon Ball character, I'm real excited for a traditional Dragon Ball fighting game, developed by Arc Systems no less! I'm really hoping for an eventual announcement of a Switch version, but unfortunately fighting games appear to have a stigma against the Switch. Regardless, I'm really digging the visuals of what's been shown off so far, and it looks incredibly dynamic and a nice return to something more along the lines of the Budokai series. I'll be keeping a close eye on news for this project, I can't not reiterate the fact that I'm just generally really excited to see what this game looks like in action!
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!