"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by DBZfan29 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:53 pm

I wanted to have kid Goku in this game, so I’m pretty excited by the news. If it is the GT version, I hope Super Saipan 4 will appear somehow. And I really like the OG design, so hopefully they will do like Videl and have an alternate costume for him.

I understand that people are mad about the number of Goku characters in the game, but saying Bardock and Zamasu and even Vegetto/Gogeta are just another Goku feels like a stretch. They are all important characters in the series.

Hope we get Kame-sennin next!
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:24 pm

HeroR wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:33 amYour argument more or less amounts to, 'these characters looks similar, so their background and move set doesn't matter', which is all factually wrong.
No that isn't right. First of all the background doesn't matter, Bardocks background doesn't have any impact on this game so that's irrelevant.

My argument is that instead of having completely unique characters like Janemba, Toppo, Kefla etc that will also play differently, perhaps even more so, they are instead having another version or another variation of a character that already has multiple versions or variations in the game.

If you already have three literal Goku's then you don't need a fourth one before having virtually anyone else.
And? So what if that's 20% if they play different, especially when 'Papa Goku' and 'Pink Goku' are not freaking Goku.
To be blunt, the entire roster could be Goku and I wouldn't care as long as they played differently.
Right so not really understanding the issue that people have at all then.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:35 pm

Super Saiyan 4 install would actually make me excited.

Watch it be Super Dragon Fist :lol:
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Zamasu55
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Zamasu55 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:17 pm

So Base GT Goku should be the character with the brown background... it makes sense. Well, it's funny how everyone thought of Roshi, but that's that I guess.

Now all that remains is the character with the purple background... it could be either Kefla or Janemba.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Regular

Post by Dark_Tzitzimine » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:40 pm

He also could be the one for the purple/magenta background since is similar to his wristbands.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:38 pm

Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:45 pm Now we have one unrevealed character left. Wonder who it'll be.
I'm guessing it's Omega Shenron, the main hero and the main villain of GT

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:01 pm

Part of me actually hopes SS4 isn't part of GT Goku's moveset, so there's still hope for SS4 for season 3. Feels dumb to waste it on just an ultimate.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:20 pm

Unexpected and interesting to have Kid Goku, plus some GT material overall.
Because there was the remake movie, that GT Kid Goku surely doubles as the original Goku with one of the palette swaps.
Another palette swap will probably mimic his classic orange costume (which will look more like the Whis costume due to the shape of the clothes).

It's no big deal that it's another Goku, we only have four of them representing major steps and/or shows.
Base "Saiyan invasion" Goku and Super Saiyan Goku are iconic DBZ representations (although we would have been fine with just the Super Saiyan Goku since the base form already appeared a lot in the game anyway), Super Saiyan Blue is the iconic DBS representation (as shown even recently in the Broly movie promo assets and movie itself) and Kid Goku is both DB and DBGT's representation.

Maybe they can get away with skipping Super Saiyan God, but I'm pretty sure they won't be able to escape Ultra Instinct Goku for much longer. Although they could simply have the excuse that it would be hard to be faithful to his original incarnation, since seeing this form taking a lot of hits like any other basic warrior would sort of kill the "wow" factor of Ultra Instinct. So it would be hard to include it and convey the "supreme perfection" feeling of masterfully dodging everything and giving deadly attacks in return. The form is vastly different than the rest in the original material, but it would be hard to make it distinct from the rest in a game format...

Okay, I'm just disappointed about one thing with this GT Goku, just like with the four previous DLCs: no Dramatic Finishes, again.
And thank God, they'll add the new Gogeta and the new Broly in, it would have been stupid not to include the much more stylish, charismatic and different Broly on the account that the "dumb psychopath" outdated version was already there.

New Bardack doesn't have enough movie material to be added to the original, that's a shame since his new appearance is much better. Even if they made the effort of making an alternate costume for the original version, it would cause problems with the Dramatic Finish involving his bandana.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:02 pm

Bullza wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:24 pm
HeroR wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:33 amYour argument more or less amounts to, 'these characters looks similar, so their background and move set doesn't matter', which is all factually wrong.
No that isn't right. First of all the background doesn't matter, Bardocks background doesn't have any impact on this game so that's irrelevant.

My argument is that instead of having completely unique characters like Janemba, Toppo, Kefla etc that will also play differently, perhaps even more so, they are instead having another version or another variation of a character that already has multiple versions or variations in the game.

If you already have three literal Goku's then you don't need a fourth one before having virtually anyone else.
And? So what if that's 20% if they play different, especially when 'Papa Goku' and 'Pink Goku' are not freaking Goku.
To be blunt, the entire roster could be Goku and I wouldn't care as long as they played differently.
Right so not really understanding the issue that people have at all then.
Except Bardock, Vegito, Gogeta, Merged Zamasu, and Black are not ‘another version or another variation of a character’. They’re all different characters. Them having the same face doesn’t change that, especially when none of them even fights the same.

I understand the issue of too many Goku. But calling Bardock just another Goku is stupid.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:21 pm

HeroR wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:02 pm I understand the issue of too many Goku. But calling Bardock just another Goku is stupid.
Because he is visually. He's Goku in a different outfit. Vegito and Gogeta are Goku in a different outfit. Goku Black is Goku in a different outfit with different colour hair.

That's very repetitive visually when this series has characters of all different shapes and sizes and colours and motifs and species.

Base Goku, Base Vegeta, GT Goku, Gogeta and Broly are poor and repetitive choices to have. They should have been picked over many other characters.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:31 pm

Bullza wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:21 pm
HeroR wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:02 pm I understand the issue of too many Goku. But calling Bardock just another Goku is stupid.
Because he is visually. He's Goku in a different outfit. Vegito and Gogeta are Goku in a different outfit. Goku Black is Goku in a different outfit with different colour hair.

That's very repetitive visually when this series has characters of all different shapes and sizes and colours and motifs and species.

Base Goku, Base Vegeta, GT Goku, Gogeta and Broly are poor and repetitive choices to have. They should have been picked over many other characters.
Vegito and Gogeta don’t look like Goku. Heck, Vegito favors Vegeta more than Goku. That is just reaching.

Broly barely looks like OG Broly outside of Full Power Super Saiyan and so far, it seems Super Broly is using his Rage Design that looks nothing like Legendary Super Saiyan.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:49 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:38 pm
Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:45 pm Now we have one unrevealed character left. Wonder who it'll be.
not longer takes into account the color?
not necessarily, remember jiren and videl?

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:44 pm

The thing is, regardless of how you slice it theres always gonna be a plethora of "Goku" (and to a slightly lesser extent Vegeta) options in a game like this or any Dragon Ball "Fighting game" where Transformations are treated like distinct characters to be honest.

Think about it, after you add Kefla, Janemba (because people wanna throw sword beams and have teleport parries) and Roshi OH and Dabura. How many more characters can you add thats gonna be 100% their own? Not Many, There's the One Star Dragon who's pretty cool on his own but then you have 3 & 4 star who are literally twin brothers... but then what after that?

Majin Veg.. Oh
Baby Ve... Oh
SS4 Ve... Oh
SS4 Goge.. Oh
SS4 Gok.. Oh
Ultra Ins.. Oh
Tul.. Oh

And thats already on top of what we have/know whats coming.

Super 17? Well then that'll make 3 Playable versions of Android 17 (well 2 and a half I guess)
Oh I know, Future Goh.. Oh two and half playable adult Gohans (including Saiya-Man) 3 and half counting Kid/Teen Gohan, thats too many Gohans.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:06 am

GT design... with the Power Pole included?

So it’s pretty much Path to Power Goku.

I know he has the transformations but this is pretty much a composite Kid Goku.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:28 am

goku the krump dancer wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:44 pm The thing is, regardless of how you slice it theres always gonna be a plethora of "Goku" (and to a slightly lesser extent Vegeta) options in a game like this or any Dragon Ball "Fighting game" where Transformations are treated like distinct characters to be honest.

Think about it, after you add Kefla, Janemba (because people wanna throw sword beams and have teleport parries) and Roshi OH and Dabura. How many more characters can you add thats gonna be 100% their own? Not Many, There's the One Star Dragon who's pretty cool on his own but then you have 3 & 4 star who are literally twin brothers... but then what after that?

Majin Veg.. Oh
Baby Ve... Oh
SS4 Ve... Oh
SS4 Goge.. Oh
SS4 Gok.. Oh
Ultra Ins.. Oh
Tul.. Oh

And thats already on top of what we have/know whats coming.

Super 17? Well then that'll make 3 Playable versions of Android 17 (well 2 and a half I guess)
Oh I know, Future Goh.. Oh two and half playable adult Gohans (including Saiya-Man) 3 and half counting Kid/Teen Gohan, thats too many Gohans.
I may be misreading, but are you saying that after Janemba, Roshi, Kefla and Dabura there aren't any other decent character choices other than Gokus and Vegetas?

Cause there are.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:05 am

Tai Lung wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:49 pm
mute_proxy wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:38 pm
not longer takes into account the color?
not necessarily, remember jiren and videl?
I see the colors as just temporary placements now. I think adding a single GT goku to the roster to represent an entire series would not be right. Jiren and Videl "connect" with other characters already available. Shenron is kind of the "favorite" villain of GT too, and we do need a bad guy placed on the right side of the screen also. Just my thought

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:14 am

Oh, you know what would be an extremely awesome move for GT Goku?

This could be one of his ultimate moves that allow him to transition to SSJ4 Goku.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:30 pm

Rakurai wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:14 am Oh, you know what would be an extremely awesome move for GT Goku?

This could be one of his ultimate moves that allow him to transition to SSJ4 Goku.
That would be cool. I was thinking something more along the lines of the Path to Power Kamehameha because Infinite World GT Kid Goku uses that move:

Plus this Kid Goku will apparently have the Power Pole.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Regular

Post by Dark_Tzitzimine » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:35 pm

The pages for World Mission leaked already, where are the FighterZ ones?

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:56 pm

HeroR wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:31 pmVegito and Gogeta don’t look like Goku. Heck, Vegito favors Vegeta more than Goku. That is just reaching.
He looks practically 90% the same as Goku.
That's Goku with slightly different hair and a pair of earrings. Goku in a different outfit. Just like Gogeta is Goku with a vest.

Again opposed to anybody else that actually looks different and isn't related to Goku.
Broly barely looks like OG Broly outside of Full Power Super Saiyan and so far, it seems Super Broly is using his Rage Design that looks nothing like Legendary Super Saiyan.
It doesn't matter, it's still a second Broly when most other characters don't have a first anything. Considering the game is such a sausage fest in the first place it's surprising that they haven't included Kefla already.