"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
MajinMan
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1225
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:42 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by MajinMan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:11 am

Xehanort wrote:I already have 80% of the trophies, almost there! Looking forward to platinum the game soon :D

"My Power Level is 530,000: World Match – Acquire 530,000 BP."

Well, at least I tried :(
There’s also a trophy for getting 20 million total zeni.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

60.

User avatar
SSJ2bardock
I Live Here
Posts: 2590
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:10 am
Location: Chicago

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:56 am

emperior wrote:Image
So this has been found in the game files, which means we might see alternate costumes in the future. If that happens, what costumes would you guys like to see?
I will make a list:

[spoiler]SSJ Goku - Shirtless
SSJ Vegeta - Buu arc
SSJ2 Gohan - Movie 9
SSJ Trunks - Super's outfit
Adult Gohan - Tracksuit
Piccolo - Cape
SSGSS Goku - RoF gi
SSGSS Vegeta - RoF armor
Krillin - BoG outfit with hair
Yamcha - BoG outfit
Tenshinan - Saiyan arc gi
Android 18 - Tracksuit
Beerus - Pajama
Freeza - Mecha Freeza
Cell - 1st or 2nd form
Android 21 - Her normal outfit
Black Goku - Zamasu clothes
Nappa - No armor
Ginyu - Goku's gi
Gotenks - Normal/SSJ form

Android 16, Hit and Kid Buu are missing as I have no idea about what alternate costumes they could give them.[/spoiler]
I could be wrong and I don’t know anything about computers really, but just from looking at the name of that file it seems clear to me that it’s just talking about color swaps and not new outfits in their entirety. Again, this is just speculation, but I don’t want to get my hopes up for nothing even though I would like new costumes just as much as the next guy. Has there been anything more concrete found on this topic?
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

User avatar
emperior
I Live Here
Posts: 3576
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:52 pm
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by emperior » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:44 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:
emperior wrote:Image
So this has been found in the game files, which means we might see alternate costumes in the future. If that happens, what costumes would you guys like to see?
I will make a list:

[spoiler]SSJ Goku - Shirtless
SSJ Vegeta - Buu arc
SSJ2 Gohan - Movie 9
SSJ Trunks - Super's outfit
Adult Gohan - Tracksuit
Piccolo - Cape
SSGSS Goku - RoF gi
SSGSS Vegeta - RoF armor
Krillin - BoG outfit with hair
Yamcha - BoG outfit
Tenshinan - Saiyan arc gi
Android 18 - Tracksuit
Beerus - Pajama
Freeza - Mecha Freeza
Cell - 1st or 2nd form
Android 21 - Her normal outfit
Black Goku - Zamasu clothes
Nappa - No armor
Ginyu - Goku's gi
Gotenks - Normal/SSJ form

Android 16, Hit and Kid Buu are missing as I have no idea about what alternate costumes they could give them.[/spoiler]
I could be wrong and I don’t know anything about computers really, but just from looking at the name of that file it seems clear to me that it’s just talking about color swaps and not new outfits in their entirety. Again, this is just speculation, but I don’t want to get my hopes up for nothing even though I would like new costumes just as much as the next guy. Has there been anything more concrete found on this topic?
Well this is a icon which would work as a costume swap button, I think. As for alternate outfits, some scrapped material of RoF outfits has been found as far as I know. Obviously this doesn't mean we will see alternate costumes in the game, but if it keeps being supported and if DLCs sell a lot I could see ArcSys adding some costumes in the future. Buu arc Vegeta, to make an example, wouldn't be that hard for them to add, I think.
What I consider the Dragon Ball canon

Favorite Dragon Ball Arcs

User avatar
Bullza
Banned
Posts: 8621
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am
Location: UK

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Bullza » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:09 pm

Why would you have to pay so that you can have the original Dragon Ball music in your Dragon Ball video game?

User avatar
FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5305
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:07 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:24 pm

Ranmaru Rei wrote:Speaking of translation. The game is translated to my native language from English (it's cheaper), and they a little altered translation too =_=
I know that feel.
The chances of you losing some details in the first translation are already high. Have a translation from another translation will just make the final script worse.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

User avatar
NintendoBlaze53
Regular
Posts: 565
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:24 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:31 pm

Bullza wrote:Why would you have to pay so that you can have the original Dragon Ball music in your Dragon Ball video game?
This time a decade ago if you didn't live in Japan you just couldn't get the original Dragon Ball music in your Dragon Ball video game. Even Xenoverse 2 had the anime music as Japan only.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

User avatar
Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here
Posts: 3328
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:45 am
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:06 pm

Has anyone grabbed the FighterZ pass yet? Or will you be waiting?
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

User avatar
Quebaz
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1186
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:57 am
Location: Portugal
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Quebaz » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:13 pm

Bullza wrote:Why would you have to pay so that you can have the original Dragon Ball music in your Dragon Ball video game?
Lincensing is a bitch, basically.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

User avatar
Xehanort
Newbie
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:34 am
Location: Post-apocalyptic Future
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Xehanort » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:01 pm

MajinMan wrote:There’s also a trophy for getting 20 million total zeni.
Yeah, it's such bullshit. At least that one will come naturally as we keep playing, but damn...
"I think it's only fair that I should warn you guys. You dont stand a chance against me.", Future Trunks

User avatar
FoolsGil
I Live Here
Posts: 4088
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:33 am

Man the final part of the story mode is pure murder. Gonna go ahead and give my thoughts now instead of waiting to finish. tad spoilers

As an attempt to provide an original story, I give it a solid B- ; No more retread that everyone here knows front and back, and even nonwatchers of the show would know if they bought a Dragonball fighting game in the last 15 years. And I liked the idea of you the player being the savior, the soul who saves the world, and get to see three versions of the story based on you link with.

But that's really all I have to say that were pros. Maybe it's the fact that story modes in fighting games have jumped up in quality (Mortal Kombat and Injustice comes to mind) and I appreciate the originality, but I wanted so much more. Half the cast isn't playable at all. And maybe it would have been sacrilege, but they didn't need to stick to the canon at all. Hit's a U6 character? So what, he should be in the story mode. Maybe if Hit and Black were there, the Villain arc wouldn't have turned into the Anti-Hero Arc. And I wish there was something actually worth it to the clones besides fodder. And the tireless trudge through their ranks is not fun at all, it reaches a point where not even the character interactions aren't worth it when you're fighting your 30th wave of clones.

If I was to give any advice to the next game writer, I say keep it original, but look to Netherrealm Studios to how it should be written. If Teen Gohan and Adult Gohan are in the game, put them in the story mode. Forget canon, I want an experience that I'll never get in the manga.
Last edited by FoolsGil on Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dragonball Exiles Chapter One. Chapter Two In Production.

User avatar
DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6381
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:34 am

I just released my first video review on this game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqPcc0aw7lM
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31207&p=969551#p969545

User avatar
Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 268
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:50 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:35 am

FoolsGil wrote:But that's really all I have to say that were pros. Maybe it's the fact that story modes in fighting games have jumped up in quality (Mortal Kombat and Injustice comes to mind)
Actually, games devoloped by ArcSys had good story mods long before Mortal Kombat and Injustice. Guilty Gear, BlazBlue and Persona 4 Arena has strong stories. DB FighterZ story is good, but representation is not. IMHO, it would maybe better, than we have, if they decided make story representation-wise like Guilty Gear Xrd. I don't know. Still I'm OK, with ingame story. It's not the best, but it's good.
Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote:Has anyone grabbed the FighterZ pass yet? Or will you be waiting?
I did. I pre-ordered Ultimate Edition. I just trust ArcSys. Their games are good.

User avatar
MajinMan
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1225
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:42 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by MajinMan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:39 am

I honestly didn’t care for the story. In fact, when they first revealed that their were going to be clone enemies in the story, I pretty much expected it to be subpar. My main complaint with the story mode is how long it takes to load the fights. I swear, just entering a fight takes like 30 seconds minimum. That made it really tedious for me to complete the story mode 100%. I eventually did it, but it took me 22 hours of story mode gameplay to achieve. It also didn’t help that all 3 arcs were basically different endings, with the third one being the true ending path, negating the other two completely. I wasn’t really a big fan of that approach.

And now onto Android 21. I like her backstory. 21 being the mother of 16 and presumably the wife of Gero was a popular theory, and it ended up being true. I like that portion of her. Other than that, I think she’s just “waifu bait.” Every time she was on screen, her tits were popping out, and every time she got hungry or ate someone, it sounded like she was having an orgasm. I’m not going to say that she’s a shit character because of that, but the intentions behind her personality are soooo obvious. It is what it is, I guess.

BTW, the game itself is fantastic.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

60.

User avatar
Xehanort
Newbie
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:34 am
Location: Post-apocalyptic Future
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Xehanort » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:35 am

The story mode is absolute garbage, I commend them for coming up wiht an original story and the models of the characters in the cutscenes are really cool, but it's such a pain to go through. Fighting the same guys over and over again is boring at best, and madness-inducing at worst. Not to mention Android 21 is a terrible character, and the plot itself makes no sense whatsoever.

The game, though? Fantastic!
"I think it's only fair that I should warn you guys. You dont stand a chance against me.", Future Trunks

kn83
Banned
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by kn83 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:44 am

Xehanort wrote:The story mode is absolute garbage, I commend them for coming up wiht an original story and the models of the characters in the cutscenes are really cool, but it's such a pain to go through. Fighting the same guys over and over again is boring at best, and madness-inducing at worst. Not to mention Android 21 is a terrible character, and the plot itself makes no sense whatsoever.

The game, though? Fantastic!
Dude, Android 21 is arguably the best damn character introduced into the franchise in years, especially from a writers standpoint. For her backstory to her design and personalities, she is easily better written and conceived than most DB villains (and others).

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5511
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Grimlock » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:49 am

kn83 wrote:she is easily better written and conceived than most DB villains (and others).
I really don't know how someone can say that even though her backstory carries unfortunate contradictions. Well, I would like you to elaborate more why you think she is that better.
Games - You are weak. Why are you weak?
Dragon Ball Super - *coughes*
Games - Because you lack... Content.

kn83
Banned
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by kn83 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:58 am

Grimlock wrote:
kn83 wrote:she is easily better written and conceived than most DB villains (and others).
I really don't know how someone can say that even though her backstory carries unfortunate contradictions. Well, I would like you to elaborate more why you think she is that better.
Well based on her back story (and her portrayal in the 3rd story), she seems to be the first truly tragic DB villain. The TvTropes page on her explains it better than I can. She comes across are really unique compare to King Piccolo, Frieza, Cell, Super Buu, and Black/Zamasu.

User avatar
FoolsGil
I Live Here
Posts: 4088
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:02 am

Ranmaru Rei wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:But that's really all I have to say that were pros. Maybe it's the fact that story modes in fighting games have jumped up in quality (Mortal Kombat and Injustice comes to mind)
Actually, games devoloped by ArcSys had good story mods long before Mortal Kombat and Injustice. Guilty Gear, BlazBlue and Persona 4 Arena has strong stories. DB FighterZ story is good, but representation is not. IMHO, it would maybe better, than we have, if they decided make story representation-wise like Guilty Gear Xrd. I don't know. Still I'm OK, with ingame story. It's not the best, but it's good.
Good point. I'm a big fan of Blazblue. Well, I guess they felt their hands were tied working with someone else's franchise instead of their own, which is why as we both agree, the story mode was good, but it wasn't great.
MajinMan wrote: Other than that, I think she’s just “waifu bait.” Every time she was on screen, her tits were popping out, and every time she got hungry or ate someone, it sounded like she was having an orgasm. I’m not going to say that she’s a shit character because of that, but the intentions behind her personality are soooo obvious. It is what it is, I guess.
I don't even know how much of that is Arcsys since Toriyama came up with her design, but Arcsys is all about the waifus.
Dragonball Exiles Chapter One. Chapter Two In Production.

User avatar
Olympian
Regular
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Olympian » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:10 am

Oh, I am all for alternative costumes but I think it will take some time still. Some are just way too iconic to not be made if they indeed go there:

Saiyan arc Gi Goku
Saiyan Armor or Majin Vegeta
Whis Gi for Goku Blue
Dragonball/Crane outfits for Ten and Chiatzu
Desert Bandid or Baseball equipment for Yamcha
Pimp suit Kuririn (yeah, this one is a dream) and more seriously haired Kuririn mode
King Piccolo mode for Piccolo
Buu arc Gi or GS for Adult Gohan.

Regarding gameplay (the real meat of the game!) and the only worthy Thread wort its salt on Gamefaqs right now is a sticky showing proven hidden mechanics that haven`t come out from the devs or shows and are slowly being translated. Stuff like Chiatzu`s sacrífice and Trunks sword dash being used as Super counters. I`ll drop here the link to the Thread which in turn equally links to video testings of the same.

It`s a big list that keeps adding. Have fun!

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/21 ... z/76287094
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5511
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Grimlock » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:44 am

kn83 wrote:Well based on her back story (and her portrayal in the 3rd story), she seems to be the first truly tragic DB villain. The TvTropes page on her explains it better than I can. She comes across are really unique compare to King Piccolo, Frieza, Cell, Super Buu, and Black/Zamasu.
It seems the word that fits better here is "different approach" rather than "she's better than the others", then. Which, in this case, you are correct. She sets herself apart from the others, she's kind of unique and all but to say "she's the best written/introduced character" would be a little too much. What ruins her character besides her contradictory backstory is the annoying thing "I'm going to eat you" and stuff like that that she keeps saying like a broken record. I would say she's in the same league as Towa.
Games - You are weak. Why are you weak?
Dragon Ball Super - *coughes*
Games - Because you lack... Content.

Post Reply